Home
Posted By: RWE No, I do not. - 12/15/14
the next MF'er that calls me on the phone and asks if I got a survey crew available this afternoon, and gets [bleep] with me when they find out that I do not keep a $100/hr crew on standby for their sorry ass, is going to get me to think really really bad thoughts about them.

Posted By: 4ager Re: No, I do not. - 12/15/14
Why am I tempted to post your phone number?
Posted By: RWE Re: No, I do not. - 12/15/14
I will become angry.
Originally Posted by RWE
I will become angry Grumpy.

More appropriate, given stature and digits.
That would be funny, even somewhat ironically appropriate, if it wasn't about me.

I choose to disregard it.
Posted By: eh76 Re: No, I do not. - 12/15/14
Can you come help us then? We are short a couple hands...however it is snowing and windy outside. grin
Posted By: Steelhead Re: No, I do not. - 12/15/14
I've always wanted to learn to survey. Just thought I'd say that.
I'd survey Wyoming in a second - but my wife hates the cold, and I can't live without her.......

love, yes that's it. Had to check my field notes for that one...
Posted By: Steelhead Re: No, I do not. - 12/15/14
Surveying has always fascinated me. Maybe its my math mind.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: No, I do not. - 12/15/14
Don'tcha know they needed it yesterday? laugh

The thing I hate about surveying the most is the deadlines.
Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: No, I do not. - 12/15/14
Surveying,..I think that's what my Granddad used to do with stick and string when laying out the garden...
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Don'tcha know they needed it yesterday? laugh

The thing I hate about surveying the most is the deadlines.

If they needed it yesterday, then they should have called the day before the day before yesterday.

Deadlines suck.

My favorite is when a contractor out of carelessness wipes out construction stakes you spent the last couple weeks setting and then wants them put back in right away. We tell them GFY and hand them the staking notes grin if they balk at that it costs them dearly to have us do it.
Around here, those notes best be in spanish, else no one on the receiving end could understand them.
Lately we had to write them so the North and South Dakotans could read them dontcha know laugh
I'm beginning to wonder if anyone can read plans, anymore.
From some of the plans we get from consultants and designers I wonder if anyone can put together a set of plans anymore ! Problem is most of them have no field experience.
I just made the comment to my drafter.

He was attempting to draw out an apartment building footing layout, and there were dimensions missing.

Do architects actually receive instruction in leaving out just enough information that the building can be built if someone makes some assumptions, but that alleviates all liability from the architect as long as someone else makes the assumption?
Originally Posted by RWE
I just made the comment to my drafter.

He was attempting to draw out an apartment building footing layout, and there were dimensions missing.

Do architects actually receive instruction in leaving out just enough information that the building can be built if someone makes some assumptions, but that alleviates all liability from the architect as long as someone else makes the assumption?

Yes.
Posted By: RS308MX Re: No, I do not. - 12/15/14
Originally Posted by RWE
I'd survey Wyoming in a second - but my wife hates the cold, and I can't live without her.......

love, yes that's it. Had to check my field notes for that one...

Love of her cooking? smile
Posted By: 17ACKLEYBEE Re: No, I do not. - 12/15/14
Originally Posted by RWE
I'm beginning to wonder if anyone can read plans, anymore.

Sure if they are in Spanish.
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: No, I do not. - 12/15/14
Originally Posted by RWE
the next MF'er that calls me on the phone and asks if I got a survey crew available this afternoon, and gets [bleep] with me when they find out that I do not keep a $100/hr crew on standby for their sorry ass, is going to get me to think really really bad thoughts about them.

Reminds me of the old poster that showed a "customer" telling a gunsmith

"Of course I want it done today! If I'd wanted it done yesterday, I'd've brought it in yesterday."
Posted By: gmiller Re: No, I do not. - 12/15/14
Originally Posted by RWE

I like when the paralegal calls and says "the agent forgot to tell me they want a survey prior to closing. Any way you can have it to me tomorrow". Been getting a lot of that lately.
Lately, I have been getting review notes from HUD attorneys saying, "we see the legend has a symbol for fiber optic markers, but we cannot see any on the drawing. Can you tell us where the fiber optic markers are located?"

To which I reply, but our attorney edits out, "Sure. I understand that not only do my taxes pay your salary, but you want me to do your job for you as well. The fiber optic marker is located ....."
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: No, I do not. - 12/15/14
People have forgotten how lucky they are to be living in the modern electronic age...

Their deadlines may be pushed back a bit further if surveying with a theodolite and chains.... smile
Posted By: heavywalker Re: No, I do not. - 12/15/14
Laffin, I got two calls today needing stuff now, and I am not even at work.

Originally Posted by rockinbbar
People have forgotten how lucky they are to be living in the modern electronic age...

Their deadlines may be pushed back a bit further if surveying with a theodolite and chains.... smile

Pretty sure you meant transit smile a theodolite would be to new for you laugh
© 24hourcampfire