Home

Is it just my PC or what ??

Any tech ideas or suggestions to speed up ?

TIA......
The only 24hr pages that have ever been slow to load for me are the Friday music threads. I don't know why , it must have something to do with the youtube videos on those pages.

Mike
Its terrible. I have given up on using my new laptop or older computer. The only thing remotely useful is my Iphone. There are workarounds but---why? This is the only site I have trouble with.
Too much BS going on in the back ground.
It's been said about a thousand times but you can spend five minutes loading adblocker.
No,,, you shouldn't have to but why be miserable?

I run the cheapest 7yo laptop WalMart sells with Windows 7, AVG free anti virus, and adblocker.

Maybe I'm just lucky but it works as well with that combo as any other site. Matter of fact,,, 24hr's faster than PM with this antiquated set up.
You are under attack by adds. There was a great informative thread several months back if you can get the search feature to work.
First suggesting...use Chrome.
Never issues of any sort with an ipad....
Upgrade your 14.4k modem to a 28k modem, you won't believe the speed difference...
I've got adblock plus and sometimes it is still overwhelmed. This site is the worst I visit.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

TIA......

The issue is not with the campfire, it's with your local service provider. You are getting caught in the war against Netflix where certain local providers are throttling content from some companies associated with Netfix. In the process they don't just slow down Netflix in their attempt to extort them in violation of net neutrality, but all traffic through associated providers.

If you want the fire to speed up, tell you local provider to quick violating net neutrality.

In addition, if they don't quit it, they are risking becoming regulated like a utility.
[quote=GeorgiaBoy]I've got adblock plus and sometimes it is still overwhelmed. This site is the worst I visit. [/quote/]

I don't doubt that and certainly can't explain it.
Just telling you what works for me and a couple of hundred others that that have replied to this age old question.

Heck, I even have IE which isn't supposed to work either.

Ignorance really is bliss.
Maybe its a VISTA thing, I don't know. IE is a no go for me. I had thought of abandoning the site had I not read the thread about Chrome and adblock. It has helped, but sometimes, especially when I try to use the back arrow...it just locks up. This is the only site that I consistently have that problem.
http://www.extremetech.com/computin...-firefox-and-chrome-are-such-memory-hogs

I have 16 gigs of memory and a 8 core processor, this issue is not with Add Block.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

I have 16 gigs of memory and a 8 core processor, this issue is not with Add Block.

Never meant to imply that AdBlock is totally the problem.

Meant as a FYI that according to that article AdBlock could possibly be contributing to at least some of the slow loading issues for some folks.

Even if AdBlock is responsible for some of the slow loading I'm still staying with it rather than put up with unwanted obnoxious pop-ups, redirects, auto-loading video/audio ads, etc, be it here at the Campfire or any other website.
So you are saying that the ISP's are blocking the AD's...

Highly doubtful - what's more likely is the add servers are picking the lowest cost ISP, which has [bleep] for peering....
So it's the ad servers...

TIA......

The issue is not with the campfire, it's with your local service provider. You are getting caught in the war against Netflix where certain local providers are throttling content from some companies associated with Netfix. In the process they don't just slow down Netflix in their attempt to extort them in violation of net neutrality, but all traffic through associated providers.

If you want the fire to speed up, tell you local provider to quick violating net neutrality.

In addition, if they don't quit it, they are risking becoming regulated like a utility.
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
So you are saying that the ISP's are blocking the AD's...

Highly doubtful - what's more likely is the add servers are picking the lowest cost ISP, which has [bleep] for peering....
So it's the ad servers...

TIA......

I'm saying the ISP's are slowing all traffic that transverses certain networks where Netflix is known to have their content delivery servers.
I have always thought it was because the site was adding/updating a thread for latest input. (I swap to AR if impatient, come back later to carry on.)

recently upgraded to fiber...

download speed is 88.09

upload is 40.71..just tested it

I'll load Google Chrome
Originally Posted by agazain
I have always thought it was because the site was adding/updating a thread for latest input. (I swap to AR if impatient, come back later to carry on.)

If I'm correct, Rick rents his server, probably a virtual server, so I doubt that's the location of the bottle neck.

IME the fire seems to run the slowest during prime Netflix hours, which now constitutes over 50% of late night internet traffic.

download speed is 88.09

I'll load Google Chrome

You have to be on at least an OC3 to get those speeds.

Nice pipe.

I just downloaded 'Chrome' & searched for '24hr'

page opened but in different format..no ads..

along with smaller text.....?? I'm no PC genius.......

download speed is 88.09

I'll load Google Chrome

Nice pipe.

huh ?
Tikkanut: Sorry you are having troubles - my puter is smokin right along.
All is well here.
Hope it improves for you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Thanks for the discussion.. My 24 hour use is very slow.. Hopefully, I can use this discussion to show my pal who is in this business the problem and we can repair it.. When I go to the local library, the site is like lighting.. At home very slow..

download speed is 88.09

I'll load Google Chrome

Nice pipe.

huh ?

You said you went fiber.
It's a measure of the bandwidth of your fiber circuit (pipe)
Bandwidth Chart

Ohhhh....I did download 'Chrome' & use it to open '24hr fire'

works MUCH better & faster...

TIA......

There is some sort of virus on here that affects the speed of your computer loading. I have had 63 issues on my Mac in the past two month. I have Mackeeper which has virus software and just about 1-2 times per day it catches something I have to fix.
It's really not that it's slow, it's that the stuff on the page continues to load and load and load, regardless. It's the scripts that the ads run and they continue to download even after the page "has loaded" so it's like trying to open a page here that's 20x larger than it needs to be or used to be.

A quality host would put an end to it, if you pay them an assistance fee. Rick seems to think he has it figured out, but it never changes.
© 24hourcampfire