Home
Posted By: wabigoon Western etiquette? - 12/31/14
Years back, an Oklaoma minister went through a door ahead of my wife, and I.
He explained it was customary in that area for the man to go ahead a woman in the event of rattle snakes being present.

Ever hear that?
Any others?
Posted By: WhiteFawn Re: Western etiquette? - 12/31/14
That sounds more like chivalry. I've read about some women on this forum that their spouse (ex-spouse) would send in for the first look-see...
Posted By: LouisB Re: Western etiquette? - 12/31/14
First person wakes the snake up.

Second person gets BIT!

Sometimes the third person is the one bit.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Western etiquette? - 12/31/14
I think that it's an etiquette that includes diced ham, green bell pepper, and onion.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Western etiquette? - 12/31/14
As an Okie I'll say that I think that may have been a bit of our humor showing through. Sounds like BS and a sharp wit to me.

Could be wrong but I lived in rural OK for 20 years and had lots of friends that were old timers, never heard of that one.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Western etiquette? - 12/31/14
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Years back, an Oklaoma minister went through a door ahead of my wife, and I.
He explained it was customary in that area for the man to go ahead a woman in the event of rattle snakes being present.

Ever hear that?
Any others?
Was this at the US Capitol Building?
Posted By: Domhnall Re: Western etiquette? - 12/31/14
My wife still scolds me for not exiting an elevator first. Says that's in case there's a mugger waiting out in the hall. Maybe rattlesnakes in the hall!
Posted By: rattler Re: Western etiquette? - 12/31/14
Originally Posted by Domhnall
My wife still scolds me for not exiting an elevator first. Says that's in case there's a mugger waiting out in the hall. Maybe rattlesnakes in the hall!

i actually preferred my wife walked in front of me so i could keep an eye on her and what was going on around her since she never did....
Posted By: mcmurphrjk Re: Western etiquette? - 12/31/14
And is Oklahoma "out West"?
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Western etiquette? - 12/31/14
My cousins wife and dog were coming back from a walk and she opened the gate and the dog went through ahead of her. Dog was bit by a rattlesnake and died.

I don't think that happens in too many stores though.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Western etiquette? - 12/31/14
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk
And is Oklahoma "out West"?

In an American history sort of way if not geographically speaking. Cattle drives took place there, as well as buffalo hunting, indian fighting, sod houses and a lot of other stuff you see in John Wayne movies. Custer chased Indians all over the state and we had lots of outposts and forts for the cavalry.
Posted By: rosco1 Re: Western etiquette? - 12/31/14
I worked a tad in the Antlers,OK area last summer(all over OK actually)..I liked the area..Fairly western,its proximity to major cities just dont feel truly "western" tho..if that makes any sense.
© 24hourcampfire