Home
Posted By: atvalaska Wind Chill = never ending BS - 01/06/15
Anybody else tired of the weather folks on the tube and their "wind chill" maps....u can't tell me the dammm wind is blowing the same all over a state OR that the wind is not different in the upper half vs lower half of said state OR that its blowing all the time !!!! hell! I could be on the down wind side of a big building in full sun and all comfy smile !!.... Besides, wind chill ONLY WORKS ON THINGS THAT ARE ALIVE!! A dry wooden chair placed outside is ONLY going down the ambient temp !! if your alive ...you are only going down to ambient temp!! < only fast - er cause of evaporation ! What a crock of chit ..the weather folks only want to run around like chicken little and justify their worthless lives chasing crap that aint !! There I feel better !
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Wind Chill = never ending BS - 01/06/15
And let us not forget the people who must park their vehicles facing out of the wind.

All I can say is I climbed up the ski area this weekend (upper mountain not open due to lack of snow) intending to ski the upper nordic track. Mid-teens ambient w/ 30-40 mph winds. Definately a -10 wind chill. Fuggin cold SOB!!! Wind chill is real to this mortal.
I've always it was just BS hyperbole. As I understand, it's an index of the combined effect of cold and wind on exposed skin that is not in the sunlight.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
And let us not forget the people who must park their vehicles facing out of the wind.
<<< shocked remove these people from the gene pool!!!
anyone else read this thread and think, oh yeah, winter cabin fever? :-)
Yes
I have special feelings for the people who feel like they are entitled to park diagonally and take up two or three spots.
Posted By: johnw Re: Wind Chill = never ending BS - 01/06/15
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Besides, wind chill ONLY WORKS ON THINGS THAT ARE ALIVE!! A dry wooden chair placed outside is ONLY going down the ambient temp !!

Yous gots frostbite 'tween yer ears!!!

True that a wooden chair will only get to ambient air temp, but it will get there faster in a wind. Dat's why they put a fan on your car's radiator...

Wind chill has an effect on just about everything the wind reaches. The effect generally only has dire consequence for living tissue...
Just don't go outside naked and one should be fine.
unless one is really FINE.
Originally Posted by johnw
The effect generally only has dire consequence for living tissue...

This,...^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I used to work powerline construction and that's a fact Jack. Cold coupled with wind can kill.

Tell the OP to STFU.
Ask these folks:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Wind Chill = never ending BS - 01/06/15
Did anyone notice that the OP did, in fact, make mention of the fact that he recognized the effect of wind chill on living things? He also made the very valid point that it is not a constant for a given area due to the fact that it is possible to be sheltered from the wind or in direct sunlight, both of which will have an effect.
The OP also claimed that wind chill had no effect on anything not living.

Anybody buys that gots solid bone from ear to ear...
Much ado about nothing.

The whole point of reporting wind chill is to raise awareness of the hypothermia danger. The point that staying out of or otherwise finding protection from the wind protects you from wind chill is THE point. You have to go out in the wind? Expect it to be this much worse. You and I might take that as a given, but others may need to be reminded. A lot of people won't get the point unless you assign a numbered scale.

Answer me this Einstein, Do you think that a thermometer is gonna read any colder in a 5 degrees temp with a fourty mile an hour wind than it will with no wind at all?

...then I must be your father! welcome home son! no amount of tweaking will make wind chill more comprehensible. The language of �equivalent temperatures� creates a fundamental misconception about what wind chill really means. It doesn�t tell you how cold your skin will get; that�s determined by air temperature alone. Wind chill just tells you the rate at which your skin will reach the air temperature. If it were 35 degrees outside with a wind chill of 25, you might think you�re in danger of getting frostbite. But your skin can freeze only if the air temperature is below freezing. At a real temperature of 35 degrees, you�ll never get frostbite no matter how long you stand outside. And despite a popular misconception, a below-32 wind chill can�t freeze our pipes or car radiators by itself, either.

The recent fiddling with wind chill has only made the numbers less useful. The old system might have overstated the numbers when it said that 5 degrees could feel like minus 40. But after three decades of practice, we all got pretty good at translating from the outrageous numbers in the weather reports to our own experience. When the weather service recalibrated the system in 2001, we had to start all over and rebuild our frame of reference from scratch.
I was on my snowgo at 3 below all weekend near Denali ..so much for cabin fever ...that word is for food stamp sour dough's from the lower 48..man up puzz's !!............... 50 Fahrenheit (10 C)
Californians shiver uncontrollably.
Canadians plant gardens.

35 Fahrenheit (1.6 C)
Italian Cars won�t start
Canadians drive with the windows down

32 Fahrenheit (0 C)
American water freezes
Canadian water gets thicker.

0 Fahrenheit (-17..9 C)
New York City landlords finally turn on the heat.
Canadians have the last cookout of the season.

-60 Fahrenheit (-51 C)
Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
Canadian Girl Guides sell cookies door-to-door.

-109.9 Fahrenheit (-78.5 C)
Carbon dioxide freezes makes dry ice.
Canadians pull down their earflaps.

-173 Fahrenheit (-114 C)
Ethyl alcohol freezes.
Canadians get frustrated when they can�t thaw the keg

-459.67 Fahrenheit (-273.15 C)
Absolute zero; all atomic motion stops.
Canadians start saying �cold, eh?�

-500 Fahrenheit (-295 C)
Hell freezes over.
The Toronto Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
The effect generally only has dire consequence for living tissue...

This,...^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I used to work powerline construction and that's a fact Jack. Cold coupled with wind can kill.

Tell the OP to STFU.
I'll just get louder smile > stop watching mnsnbc and get out !! fact = http://www.srh.noaa.gov/oun/?n=faq-winter
Wind chill isn't BS, but as with most things one needs to understand it.

A couple years back I took the dog for a two hour hike, it was -20 with no wind

[Linked Image]

If it had been blowing 30 mph I can guarantee I wouldn't have been out there for two hours, and my face would have frostbite.

I have been out in -30 ambient when its blowing 30, as I recall that's -90 windchill. While not the same as -90 ambient, I'll say -90 windchill is f@#! that chit weather.
my OP got lost/sidetracked ...the idea is the weather folks showing a map of "wind chill temps"... of the lower 48 the wind is not constant 2 mins latter the wind could stop blowing and they would have nothing to show ! and you are right ..it only works on living things/with water vapor 20 below is 20 below wind be dammed ...
Windchill is relevant on anything that generates heat.

Ever drive a diesel?
All I know is that when it's windy it dang sure feels colder.

And I care much way more about how cold it feels than how cold it really is.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Windchill is relevant on anything that generates /h/e/a/t/ X .
moisture
Ever drive a diesel?
there all fixed up smile
-500 Fahrenheit (-295 C)
Hell freezes over.
The Toronto Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup

LOL, good one.

This thread has me thinking that you may be suffering from boredom to some degree.

Fire up the WSM and go cook something .Post pics .
atvalaska:
Pretty much on. It's all about perception.

I think the justification for reporting wind chill simply stems from a need to be more spectacular than the competition.

Seriously, I think we've turned into a nation of weather wimps. That's fine with me, as it keeps a lot of folks indoors.
Originally Posted by tndrbstr

Answer me this Einstein, Do you think that a thermometer is gonna read any colder in a 5 degrees temp with a fourty mile an hour wind than it will with no wind at all?

Air absorbs heat, Moving air absorbs more heat because more air moves across a surface.

Millwrights use an air line blowing on a shaft to keep seals cool after shrinking on a coupling, or bearings. Will the ambient unmoving air cool that shaft? Sure it will. But not before the heat creeps up the shaft destroying the seals. Eventually the heat will be absorbed by the outside air, but a moving stream of air will save your seals by absorbing it faster.

If your thermometer is inside, at 65 degrees and you take it outside into 20 degree temps the mercury will fall. But add a 15 MPH wind and it'll get to 20 degrees faster.

Here's the deal, grasshoppers;

Evaporation is refrigeration.

Spin on that for awhile.
Originally Posted by tndrbstr

Air absorbs heat, Moving air absorbs more heat because more air moves across a surface.

Millwrights use an air line blowing on a shaft to keep seals cool after shrinking on a coupling, or bearings. Will the ambient unmoving air cool that shaft? Sure it will. But not before the heat creeps up the shaft destroying the seals. Eventually the heat will be absorbed by the outside air, but a moving stream of air will save your seals by absorbing it faster.

If your thermometer is inside, at 65 degrees and you take it outside into 20 degree temps the mercury will fall. But add a 15 MPH wind and it'll get to 20 degrees faster.

What your discussing is heat transfer rate, and ambient temperature is but one factor in how fast heat is transferred.

To me the most miserable bone chilling cold is when the ambient temp is just above freezing, you have near 100% humidity and it's blowing. That just flat sucks the heat right out of you.

And speaking of the effect of moisture, wind and heat. Wrap that thermometer in a wet rag and blast air across it, you'll be able to get a colder temp than ambient.
Wet bulb vs dry bulb. Handy for calculating dew point.

if it's cold, one must use alcohol on the wet bulb.
For the ones in AK that think wind chill is BS, well I guess you can have your opinion. but I have a neighbor that moved to my area from AK about 20 years ago and the first winter here he said he felt like he was gonna freeze to death !! He though 20 degree and cloudy day here felt much worse that an average day there was at 0. He thought it was god awaful when we got a -10 and 30-40 MPH winds. So I guess alot more than the thermo. affects how it feels to one.
We get a couple North Dakota stations on TV.

Every time it's cold and windy the red banner(complete with annoying BEEPS) runs across the screen, every 5 minutes all evening or day or whatever....

Wind chill advisory, blah blah blah...

Then they list every single county in ND as well as the northeast corner of MT.

The 'warning' itself takes damn near 5 minutes!

I don't get it, just say it's colder than chit in North Dakota and NE Montana and be done with it!

Not like a fuuckin' tornado is coming.....

And even if you're a dumbass as soon as you leave your house you'll figure out that it is indeed colder than chit!

Rant over.
Yea, Sam, I agree and your from a much (normally) colder area than I. around here I like in the summer the "heat" warnings usually start at about 90. Was no sucj thing when I was a kid. Guess the whole counrty is a bunch a fing wussy's any more. Don't even get me started on the dip [bleep] that wear shorts all year around here even at like 10.
That is a classic.

There's an Indian dude that does some really funny youtube weather reports as well.
LOL!!!
Originally Posted by ldholton
For the ones in AK that think wind chill is BS...

Hep me out, bro. Who said that?
We're supposed to get it tonight.

Rolled out a chitload of straw this afternoon.
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by ldholton
For the ones in AK that think wind chill is BS...

Hep me out, bro. Who said that?
that's kina of how I to the OP , and some other peoples post too (not all from AK )
Originally Posted by 1minute

Never been impressed by wind chill and it's almost always windy here. Windproof outer layer and as little skin exposed as necessary does wonders. You do need a little more inner layer than still air but not a lot. Those big minus numbers on the map do look impressive though.
smile
I'd rather have -30 than windchill of -30.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
We're supposed to get it tonight.

Rolled out a chitload of straw this afternoon.
Around here ain't gonna be nice start like 15 in morning and get colder all day with increaseing winds , thursday morn. o with 30-40 MPH winds , way too much for around here , I can be in AR, KS & OK all with in an hour. too cold for this area.

This man knows cold.
Oh yes !! agree
At that temp, it's usually a 'dry cold'!

cool
Posted By: johnw Re: Wind Chill = never ending BS - 01/07/15
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

What your discussing is heat transfer rate, and ambient temperature is but one factor in how fast heat is transferred.

Precisely so. And wind chill charts are just another way of showing how heat transfers faster in the wind, resulting in exposed living tissue (and every other surface) chilling faster.

Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
Ask these folks:

[Linked Image]

Well yeah, but that's Wyoming.....does windchill count in Wyoming? grin

I ski with three women all in their early 60's, all expert/expert+ skiers, all of them gung ho on skiing whenever they can get the chance.
Middle of last season we had a cold, snowy stretch, single digits, 25mph wind with 40mph gusts, and snowing sideways--couldn't see 30 yds.

We come off the top of the lift at over 10k ft, and one of them turns to me and says "Just think, 7 billion people didn't get to ski today". And off into the cloud of snow she goes.......

Ya' gotta like that.

Casey
u guys are all cold .... smile
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

Precisely so. And wind chill charts are just another way of showing how heat transfers faster in the wind, resulting in exposed living tissue (and every other surface) chilling faster.

That's not what I'm discussing. All I'm simply saying is that when an object reaches ambient temperature the effects of wind chill are over with, zilch, it's done with.
There is no further heat transfer. No matter what speed the wind blows the object is not going to get any colder.

x10 !!!
FWIW.

[Linked Image]
Gotta take the humidity into account. Dry cold and wet cold are polar opposites.
I know the cold in Ak is different than the Plains states. I grew up in ND and also spent some time in SD. I'd much rather put up with 10 below than 10 below wind chill. I got out of a truck with my jacket half unzipped in Glenn Allen AK and the temp was 10 below. No way I could do that in the Dakotas at even 20-30 above zero with a light 10 MPH wind.

I always got a kick out of Anchorage reporting windy days when the wind was higher than 5 MPH. It had to be over 10 for it to be worth noting in the Dakotas because anything less was a nice calm day.
Supposed to be a high of 66F here today! LOL
Wind chill affects anything with heat in it. It makes anything lose heat faster, be it man, beast, or car engine.

You park your nice warm car and have to go somewhere again in an hour. If you park it facing into the wind, your engine will be completely cold by then. If you park it out of the wind, the engine will still have some heat left in it. Same if you are plugging in the block heater. More heat stays in the engine if you shelter it than if you let the wind steal most of it.
Originally Posted by 1minute

crap why couldn't you have posted this a few days ago?

now you tell me blush
© 24hourcampfire