Home
Posted By: Tracks New England cheated? - 01/19/15
Just heard the league if investigating.
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: New England cheated? - 01/19/15
The coach is known as Belicheat for a reason.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: New England cheated? - 01/19/15
They are investigating whether Ne deflated the balls to help combat the high winds
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: New England cheated? - 01/19/15
The home teams provides 30 balls, and hands them over to the referees. The referees hand the balls out to the teams on the field.
So, if New England underinflated the balls, the Colts would have been playing with the same balls. No advantage.

Further, it seems like the refs would have an air pressure gauge, and would check the balls.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: New England cheated? - 01/19/15
The Colts used the same balls so that would negate the advantage. Still, any attempt to cheat should result in severe penalties. Of course forfeiting the game wouldn't even be considered.
Posted By: noKnees Re: New England cheated? - 01/19/15
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The Colts used the same balls so that would negate the advantage. Still, any attempt to cheat should result in severe penalties. Of course forfeiting the game wouldn't even be considered.

Pretty much everything other than vacating the win is a non event and there is no way that is happening.
Posted By: tmitch Re: New England cheated? - 01/19/15
I watched the game & the only team that had their balls deflated were the Colts. cry

Posted By: Raeford Re: New England cheated? - 01/19/15
"New England cheated?"

Good, I hope they do so again in two weeks!
Also-I despise NE, yet despise is too soft for how I feel about the Seahawks and Carrol. That said-props to Seattle for not quitting.

Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: New England cheated? - 01/19/15
Of course they did. They always cheat.
Posted By: eyeball Re: New England cheated? - 01/19/15
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Well, if the shehawks had to play the Colts they could win the SB again. Dynasty baby. Crook it.
Posted By: bea175 Re: New England cheated? - 01/19/15
The NFL is the one who should be investigated , for letting the Patriots play a second rate team like the Colts in a Championship Game
Posted By: Raeford Re: New England cheated? - 01/19/15
Originally Posted by bea175
The NFL is the one who should be investigated , for letting the Patriots play a second rate team like the Colts in a Championship Game

But A Luck is the future face of the NFL????
Posted By: CLB Re: New England cheated? - 01/19/15
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
The home teams provides 30 balls, and hands them over to the referees. The referees hand the balls out to the teams on the field.
So, if New England underinflated the balls, the Colts would have been playing with the same balls. No advantage.

Further, it seems like the refs would have an air pressure gauge, and would check the balls.

Haters gonna hate. That's all this is.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: New England cheated? - 01/20/15
Really weird how a deflated ball helped NE but not Indy?!?

Posted By: tpcollins Re: New England cheated? - 01/20/15
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Really weird how a deflated ball helped NE but not Indy?!?

And didn't the refs handle the ball after EVERY play to set the line of scrimmage? Seems like they would have noticed if they were deflated. Sounds like sour grapes to me.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: New England cheated? - 01/20/15
What a bunch of horse crap.
Posted By: isaac Re: New England cheated? - 01/20/15
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7xDxzGCIAIwhzk.jpg
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: New England cheated? - 01/20/15
So the NFL is supposed to disqualify a playoff winner because they don't like them?
Citing a person familiar with the background of the matter, Newsday reported Monday that the Colts first noticed something unusual after an interception by Colts linebacker D'Qwell Jackson late in the second quarter.

Newsday reported that Jackson then gave the ball to a member of the Colts' equipment staff, who noticed the ball seemed underinflated. At that point, coach Chuck Pagano and general manager Ryan Grigson were notified, and Grigson alerted NFL director of football operations Mike Kensil, according to the report.

Pagano said he did not notice issues with the football, and he didn't specify when asked whether the Colts had reported the issue to officials.

"We talk just like they talk to officials [before the game], we have an opportunity to talk to the officials about a lot of things, things that you've seen on tape like the formations we talked about last week," Pagano said. "Every coach in the league gets an opportunity to visit with the officials about that kind of stuff before the game."

An under-inflated football could be easier to grip and catch. NFL rules stipulate that footballs must be inflated between 12.5 and 13.5 pounds per square inch and weigh between 14 and 15 ounces.

Former NFL official Jim Daopoulos, in an interview with ESPN on Monday morning, explained the process in which footballs are managed. Two hours and 15 minutes before each game, officials inspect 12 footballs from each team and put a mark on them to indicate they meet the proper requirements and are good for usage. Then those footballs are given to the ball attendant.

There also is a second set of six footballs, used specifically for the kicking game, that are marked appropriately and remain in the possession of officials at all times.

"Officials check balls as they go into the game, and if the ball doesn't feel perfect, they can throw it out," Daopoulos said. "There is always the possibility that balls can lose air due to the conditions."
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: New England cheated? - 01/20/15
Originally Posted by Tracks
Just heard the league if investigating.

might as well just hand out trophys to all the teams. Everyone could be a winner, and no one would get a sandy vagina.
Posted By: EdM Re: New England cheated? - 01/20/15
I do have to head east for a visit when I retire. smile
Lose 5 pounds before you go Ed because Sam will quickly put 7 pounds on you, unless he's still eating just carrots and celery.
Posted By: VinceM Re: New England cheated? - 01/20/15
When it's cold out,the tires on my vehicles appear to be less inflated
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: New England cheated? - 01/20/15
NFL needs to investigate itself.........once the balls are handed to the officials for inspection before the game, from then on, the balls are the responsibility of the officials, period.

If Indy thought there was a problem with the balls, why wasn't it addressed and/or corrected immediately, during the game.

Besides, there are 24 balls in play; logistically, it would be very, very difficult to control & manage deflating all those ball uniformly or anywhere close to it.

What a farce.........

MM

Posted By: BobinNH Re: New England cheated? - 01/20/15
45 to 7 blowout and some sore losers are out looking for a conspiracy to account for it....LOL! It's like the Colts never showed up.

They could have given the Colts deflated balls to use all day and it wouldn't have mattered....some people can find a conspiracy when they get a parking ticket. Hilarious!
Posted By: antlers Re: New England cheated? - 01/20/15
Originally Posted by tmitch
I watched the game & the only team that had their balls deflated were the Colts.

laffin'
Posted By: eyeball Re: New England cheated? - 01/20/15

Ha, Pats cant even beat Buffalo - well, when money is to be made. wink
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: New England cheated? - 01/20/15
We're on to Seattle. wink
Posted By: bluffview Re: New England cheated? - 01/20/15

Nope. The team on offense gets the ball(s) they want to use, typically one of their own.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: New England cheated? - 01/21/15
The balls are all provided by the home team. This is from the NFL web site:

Digest of Rules Main
Ball

The home club shall have 36 balls for outdoor games and 24 for indoor games available for testing with a pressure gauge by the referee two hours prior to the starting time of the game to meet with League requirements. Twelve (12) new footballs, sealed in a special box and shipped by the manufacturer, will be opened in the officials� locker room two hours prior to the starting time of the game. These balls are to be specially marked with the letter "k" and used exclusively for the kicking game.

Each team is then given 12 balls for the game.

An investigation has revealed that 11 or the 12 NE balls tested at half time were underinflated. Now they're investigating HOW they got deflated.
Posted By: SAKO75 Re: New England cheated? - 01/21/15
who really cares if the ball is defalted slightly, would it have made a difference in the game...let the team fill their balls however they want it still has to be thrown accurately and caught
they were so deflated that none of the officials even noticed!
Posted By: Chris_EOD Re: New England cheated? - 01/21/15
Originally Posted by BobinNH
45 to 7 blowout and some sore losers are out looking for a conspiracy to account for it....LOL! It's like the Colts never showed up.

They could have given the Colts deflated balls to use all day and it wouldn't have mattered....some people can find a conspiracy when they get a parking ticket. Hilarious!

They won...so cheating is OK. Have you lost your mind or are you just a Patriots fan?

Strip them of their title and ban them for a year IMO.
LOL laughable...
this is just pre Super Bowl drama...I say let them play with the ball flat if they want, who cares
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: New England cheated? - 01/21/15
I watched that game on Sunday and if they were playing with underinflated footballs during the first half, IMO it didn't help TB's accuracy.

How else do you explain the Pats 2nd half explosion of points? Tom Brady's passes reminded me of Peyton Mannings wobbly passes that looked like wounded ducks in the 1st half.

Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: New England cheated? - 01/21/15
The NFL doesn't maintain control of the balls during the game and they are surprised by this?

I was never a follower of NASCAR, but is the NFL going in the same direction?
Posted By: cdhunt Re: New England cheated? - 01/21/15
you complainers are just pissed because you picked the wrong team and you're wives are giving you hell cause you spent the rent money.
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
The NFL doesn't maintain control of the balls during the game and they are surprised by this?

I was never a follower of NASCAR, but is the NFL going in the same direction?

Man I hope not.
Posted By: Toddly Re: New England cheated? - 01/21/15
If the balls were inflated indoors and than brought outside in the cold wouldn't they lose pressure like a car tire?
Posted By: powdr Re: New England cheated? - 01/21/15
What I don't understand is "WHY"... they don't have to cheat. First the spygate thing and now this. Belechek is like a rich kleptomaniac...he steals when he doesn't have to! He's a creep and I hate to even look at the jerk. He doesn't mind you tryin to cheat him because he's darn sure going to try and cheat you. Vince Lombardi wouldn't be caught dead in the same room w/this SOB. He's a disgrace to the coaching profession. powdr
Much ado about nothing.

If this was anybody but the Pats it'd be a non-story.
Posted By: heavywalker Re: New England cheated? - 01/21/15
http://www.sportsradiokjr.com/onair/sports-radio-kjr-55035/toms-big-balls-13172153/

Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Much ado about nothing.

If this was anybody but the Pats it'd be a non-story.

Exactly.
It had little to do with the outcome but does show a pattern of these types of things coming out of that organization.

My question is why, it was obviously intentional, Brady is lying through his teeth. No way a ball boy or equipment manager makes that call without his input. So again why?
A pattern? What pattern, Spygate back in 07? How does that constitute a pattern? And do you honestly believe that the Patriots might be the only team to screw around with the footballs?
Brady obviously likes a little softer ball. BFD.
Yeah, a pattern, : something that repeats itself.

No I don't, but they are dumb enough to get caught.

Again my only question is why?

Posted By: MadMooner Re: New England cheated? - 01/21/15
The Seadderall Seahawks vs the New England Deflatetriots!

It'll be epic!
Originally Posted by heavywalker

Right, once every 7 years? Got it. lol
Originally Posted by cdhunt
you complainers are just pissed because you picked the wrong team and you're wives are giving you hell cause you spent the rent money.

Not even close. I'm not a fan of either team. I am a fan of fair play.
Should be a good game!
Posted By: tpcollins Re: New England cheated? - 01/21/15
It had little to do with the outcome but does show a pattern of these types of things coming out of that organization.

My question is why, it was obviously intentional, Brady is lying through his teeth. No way a ball boy or equipment manager makes that call without his input. So again why?

I saw a quote one time that said "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck".

Should be a good game!

On that we can definitely agree.
Posted By: jds44 Re: New England cheated? - 01/21/15
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr

They've been CAUGHT twice in 7 years. How many times have they gotten away with breaking the rules that haven't been caught?
Originally Posted by jds44

They've been CAUGHT twice in 7 years. How many times have they gotten away with breaking the rules that haven't been caught?

So basically what you're saying is, the Patriots are the only team in the NFL that might be cheating and no other team cheats? Got it. crazy

Haters gonna hate. lol

[Linked Image]
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: New England cheated? - 01/21/15
They've been CAUGHT twice in 7 years. How many times have they gotten away with breaking the rules that they haven't been caught?
[Linked Image]

I think this is a bigger deal to the NFL than most people think. It seems insignificant to the outcome of the Indy game, but that is really not the issue.

The issue is the intentional circumvention of the rules, not that the outcome of the game would have changed.
The Patriot fans defending their "team" reminds me of the parents who defend their criminal kids.
Posted By: tzone Re: New England cheated? - 01/21/15
I think Mike McCarthy had the most deflated balls of the two games played.
Originally Posted by Chris_EOD
The Patriot fans defending their "team" reminds me of the parents who defend their criminal kids.

Stops chaffing and itching... wink

[Linked Image]
Posted By: lostleader Re: New England cheated? - 01/21/15
Not nearly as clever as the Giants intercepting Vikings radio signals during a playoff game... kinda disappointed in the Patriots lack of creativity.
Originally Posted by lostleader
Not nearly as clever as the Giants intercepting Vikings radio signals during a playoff game... kinda disappointed in the Patriots lack of creativity.

Pat's have gotten busted for stealing the opposition's hand signals... twice.
Posted By: UtahLefty Re: New England cheated? - 01/21/15
for your consideration:

Not saying the Patriots didn't cheat.... But if the officials followed procedure, I find it hard to believe someone snatched 11 of 12 balls and systematically dropped the pressure to exactly 10.5 psi in all of them. The consistent nature suggests either they were all processed the same in the beginning (i.e. the refs really didn't check and the patriots pulled a good one) or as I suggested the pressure dropped after a easily consistent original inflation.

and

one other thing.... I can't find a place that actually says it is against the rules to put any temperature air into the ball.... so if Bellicheck knows anything about gas laws (which I bet he does) who is to say he didn't purposefully pump 120* air into the balls? Does that violate a rule? They start at 12.5 psi... that is the only requirement. He would know that the cooler temp would drop the psi... which also brings up what happens if a QB/team pumps the ball to 13.5 psi and as Aaron Rodgers has said (he likes very hard balls) goes somewhere sweltering and the psi increases to 14? Is that cheating.. has it happened?
Posted By: byc Re: New England cheated? - 01/21/15

So basically what you're saying is, the Patriots are the only team in the NFL that might be cheating and no other team cheats? Got it. crazy
Haters gonna hate. lol

I can tell you for sure that the REDSKINS do not cheat. Hell they have trouble just finding the freaking field!! Much less the deflated balls....
Originally Posted by Chris_EOD

[Linked Image]
Posted By: lostleader Re: New England cheated? - 01/21/15
the pressure dropped after a easily I can't find a place that actually says it is against the rules to put any temperature air into the ball.... so if Bellicheck knows anything about gas laws (which I bet he does

Now that would be clever!
Posted By: 1tnhunter Re: New England cheated? - 01/21/15
No surprise, Belichek is a skank!
Originally Posted by byc

I can tell you for sure that the REDSKINS do not cheat. Hell they have trouble just finding the freaking field!! Much less the balls....

If they do then they suck at that too. wink

In all honesty...

Posted By: byc Re: New England cheated? - 01/21/15
Originally Posted by byc

I can tell you for sure that the REDSKINS do not cheat. Hell they have trouble just finding the freaking field!! Much less the deflated balls....

If they do then they suck at that too. wink

Exactly, my point!!

Posted By: UtahLefty Re: New England cheated? - 01/21/15
Originally Posted by Deadspin
If you've been struggling to care about the Patriots being accused of deflating footballs, and have been hoping the whole thing would just blow over so we could get to talking about a truly excellent and fascinating Super Bowl matchup, you, my friend, are [bleep] out of luck. Ballghazi is real, and it is just the thing to fill an off-week.

ESPN reported last night that a league investigation has discovered that 11 of the Patriots' 12 footballs used in their whupping of the Colts were underinflated, and by a significant margin: two pounds per square inch below the acceptable 12.5-13.5 psi range. The NFL, per Chris Mortensen's source, is "disappointed ... angry ... distraught," not because there might be shenanigans going on here�no one should be shocked at that�but because the league now has to deal with this bullshit. ("Distraught!" This is the best, dumbest scandal.)

The more context that emerges, the more it feels like messing with footballs is akin to pitchers doctoring baseballs: everybody does it, and nobody looks too closely until an opponent publicly complains. Aaron Rodgers says he likes his balls overinflated. Brad Johnson says that before the Super Bowl, he paid "some guys" $7,500 to illegally rough up 100 game balls. Quarterbacks are understandably particular about the feel of their footballs, and teams seem to have an unspoken agreement to respect each other's freedom to squeeze and scuff and shine their own balls to their preference, as long as it stays within the bounds of decency. Either the Patriots went beyond those bounds, or the Colts were extra-salty and felt they had nothing to lose.

It remains to be seen�and I don't know it could ever be proven either way�just what happened to those footballs. The rules state that 12 footballs are provided to each team before the game to be inspected and broken in (a 2006 rule change pushed through by Tom Brady and Peyton Manning; prior to that, the home team was responsible for both teams' balls), then returned to the officials for approval two hours and 15 minutes before kickoff. Were the Pats' balls acceptable when they turned them in to referee Walt Anderson? If so, what happened to them to deflate them by the time they were put into play? And why, in 2015, are we still handling footballs this way?

Bill Polian has a simple, obvious solution:

"Just treat the footballs exactly like the K-balls," he said, referring to the balls used for kicking. "Keep them in the officials' custody until right before the game, and once they've been inspected, give them to a neutral person to handle them during the game on the sidelines."

But now is not the time for sense. Now is the time for screaming, and settling old scores, and reveling in a scandal that's goofy but genuinely revealing of the tenuous web of gentlemen's agreements that allows the NFL to even function. The fractally expanding rulebook is impossible to follow to the letter, so players and teams and officials have carved out an unwritten shadow rulebook, with its own, more realistic bounds of acceptability. Linemen are allowed to get away with a modicum of holding. The Seahawks secondary can commit pass interference on every single play. Tom Brady can [bleep] with his footballs. The NFL's existence is predicated on winks and nods, and it's hilarious (if worrying) that the whole thing can collapse thanks to one bitter team appealing the letter of the law.

What should happen, and what probably will happen, is that the Patriots will be fined some token amount, and everyone will move on, but not before making a billion jokes about balls, and not without this relatively victimless crime tainting everything the Patriots have ever done, no matter how illogical that is. Because, damn it, it's fun to needle Pats fans about Spygate and Eli and now this, because why should they be allowed to have nice things?

It won't be so simple as all that, thanks in large part to the boredom caused by the two-week Super Bowl break and the many, many column inches to fill. There will be calls for blood, and recriminations, and conspiracy theories galore. The Ravens are already alleging the Patriots got to their kicking balls. Roger Goodell's cozy relationship with Bob Kraft is being brought up.

Nothing can happen easily around here, because the NFL is a control-freak league uniquely unsuited to the practical exercise of that control. And we, the unaffiliated fans and unabashed scandal-groupies, are all better off for it. Buckle up, because we've got 11 more days before the Super Bowl, and the NFL is going to keep a firm grip on Tom Brady's balls.
[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1421782837&v=_FAT_pRqo3w&x-yt-cl=84359240#t=126[/video]
Posted By: ironbender Re: New England cheated? - 01/21/15
OMG, that was funny!

Seems like NE has the dynasty. wink
Posted By: VinceM Re: New England cheated? - 01/21/15
check out the cialis parody on youtube. I do not know how to add it here but it's pretty funny too
Originally Posted by ironbender
OMG, that was funny!

Seems like NE has the dynasty. wink

Careful now, you might be accused of being a bad father or animal abuser for those comments. wink

Posted By: ironbender Re: New England cheated? - 01/21/15
I can handle the truth.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: New England cheated? - 01/21/15

The story I heard, was that each team supplied 12 balls. The balls are given to the ref's 2 hours prior to the game to be inspected. They give them back to the teams 15 minutes before kickoff. Each team plays their own balls when on offense. 'Don't know which story's right or wrong here, just saying what I heard.
Originally Posted by VinceM
check out the cialis parody on youtube. I do not know how to add it here but it's pretty funny too

Posted By: asphaltangel Re: New England cheated? - 01/22/15

Deflategate.

It has a nice ring to it.

Sounds like they proved the balls were somewhat deflated...I think I heard 2 lbs. The question is how did they get that way?

The other thing they will look at is what should happen with the game the Patriots won before playing the colts. They only beat by 4 points, and I'm sorry but I cannot remember the team they played.

I didn't read through all the comments so I apologize if this was already shared.
Posted By: UtahLefty Re: New England cheated? - 01/22/15
personally, I'm liking "spy-gate" and "psi-gate" wink

and apparently the colts feelers were still hurt from the last meeting and planned to complain about this on Sunday.

(getting hosed by 120 points over 4 games apparently get's one's panties in a grudge-wad)
© 24hourcampfire