Home
Posted By: EWY Sport Coat ??? - 01/24/15
Ok. I'm thinking about buying a sport coat. Not a super (uber) dress thing but something decent to wear to church and such.
My question is: what color and what to look for and what to look out for?
Thanks.
The tie advice last year was great and things worked out well. Looking for more great advice.

Ernie
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Sport Coat ??? - 01/24/15
This will likely go well with your ties and you be sty'lin like a mofo!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Sport Coat ??? - 01/24/15
byc is your man in this situation....
Posted By: EWY Re: Sport Coat ??? - 01/24/15
Not exactly what I had in mind. Thanks for the kind thoughts though.

Ernie
Posted By: GuyM Re: Sport Coat ??? - 01/24/15
Charcoal as a color has gone over well for the three or four times a year that I wear a sport coat.
Posted By: EWY Re: Sport Coat ??? - 01/24/15
Thanks. That was kind of what I was thinking.

Ernie
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Sport Coat ??? - 01/24/15
What color shoes and belt will you normally wear said coat with? Last year I minimized dress shoes and belt to black, so I would choose charcoal or black. YMMV.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Sport Coat ??? - 01/24/15
For casual wear, I kind of like the look of these fire hose canvas jackets from Duluth Trading.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Sport Coat ??? - 01/24/15
While I'm no where near old enough to offer suggestion for a sport coat, camel hair was stylin' in the 80's.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Sport Coat ??? - 01/24/15
Rock Chuck, I have a Duluth Presentation Jacket. They make nice stuff.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Sport Coat ??? - 01/24/15
A navy blue blazer will go with jeans or just about any color of slacks. I usually wear mine with a good pair of pressed Wranglers. If I want to be dressier, I substitute Reatas for the jeans.
Plaids are nice you will look sharp in something like this

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RipSnort Re: Sport Coat ??? - 01/24/15
Navy blue, two-button, single vent, moderate lapels, gold buttons. Look at Brooks Brothers or Ralph Lauren Polo web sites for inspiration. If there is a Polo outlet near you, look for the Polo University Club label. Buy nothing that has polyester in the fabric. You want wool.

Buy a pair of wool gray slacks and a pair of well-made 100% cotton khaki slacks. Wear black dress shoes and belt with the grays. Wear brown loafers and brown belt with the khakis. White or blue shirt with either a button-down or spread collar will work with both pants. Select a rep or discreet polka-dot tie for each outfit and you are set for most situations.

Cheers, RS
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Sport Coat ??? - 01/24/15
Last sport coat I had was paisley - got married in it!
Mom and "The Warden" wouldn't let me wear the orange sweatshirt I lived in.

I'm OLD!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Sport Coat ??? - 01/24/15
Myself, I like a western cut, leather elbow pads are frosting on the cake.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Sport Coat ??? - 01/24/15
"A white sport coat, and a pink carnation..."

For what NOT to get, see if you can find a clip of Peyton Manning's visit with the media after the loss to the Colts.
Posted By: EdM Re: Sport Coat ??? - 01/24/15
Huggy?
Posted By: add Re: Sport Coat ??? - 01/24/15
Originally Posted by EdM
Huggy?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: VernAK Re: Sport Coat ??? - 01/24/15
RipSnort has it figured

Easy to dress upward or downward from that Navy Blue Blazer. Every pant from blue jeans to grey slacks will go with it.....almost a standard uniform for me.......many of my events are open collar but a long necktie with my SAR logo fills the dressier need.
Posted By: pal Re: Sport Coat ??? - 01/24/15
Originally Posted by mudhen
A navy blue blazer will go with jeans or just about any color of slacks...

This is a good start.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot Re: Sport Coat ??? - 01/24/15
Originally Posted by RipSnort
Navy blue, two-button, single vent, moderate lapels, gold buttons. Look at Brooks Brothers or Ralph Lauren Polo web sites for inspiration. If there is a Polo outlet near you, look for the Polo University Club label. Buy nothing that has polyester in the fabric. You want wool.

Buy a pair of wool gray slacks and a pair of well-made 100% cotton khaki slacks. Wear black dress shoes and belt with the grays. Wear brown loafers and brown belt with the khakis. White or blue shirt with either a button-down or spread collar will work with both pants. Select a rep or discreet polka-dot tie for each outfit and you are set for most situations.

Cheers, RS

This. Spot on.
Posted By: byc Re: Sport Coat ??? - 01/24/15
Thanks Lynn.

EWY every man should have a good quality single breasted 2 button NAVY BLUE sport coat in his closet. Worsted wool and fully lined with silk is best. I prefer a closed vent but the new trend is double vented. Nordstroms or the Nordstroms Rack would be my first choice for Hickey, Hart or Canali. Polo and J. Abboud are also good choices. Abboud is now making a quality line for Men's Warehouse.

I prefer to stay away from double breasted and brass buttons. That belongs on the yacht.

Beyond the basic go anywhere, wear with anything blue sport coat I would suggest a couple of classic hounds tooth, glen plaid or pinpoint jackets. These are also acceptable for business or evening wear.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
My picks are more current Dave
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Sport Coat ??? - 01/24/15
Dave secretly covets Huggy Bears' fashion sense.
I can actually see both you and Denny wearing your picks!! grin Well Denny would have on a denim leisure suit!! laugh

Starsky and Hutch....TFF!
I used to sport a leisure suit
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Sport Coat ??? - 01/24/15
Anyone else have a Nehru jacket back in the sixties?
Diggin' this look for my lifestyle.

Jacket would be worn over bib overalls and logger boots for formal night (bar fights) at the beer joint up on the mountain.

Bag of Red Man in the breast pocket is optional as it may be considered too trendy for my neighbors.

[Linked Image]
I did sport the red crushed velvet well also

[Linked Image]
Did ya rent them kicks ?
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Sport Coat ??? - 01/24/15
To complete the plaid jacket outfit the white hat needs an ostrich plume and rhinestone hatband. Then you'd be spotin, a look that Huggybear would certainly approve.
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Did ya rent them kicks ?
Yea they were rented
Posted By: CCCC Re: Sport Coat ??? - 01/24/15
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Originally Posted by RipSnort
Navy blue, two-button, single vent, moderate lapels, gold buttons. Look at Brooks Brothers or Ralph Lauren Polo web sites for inspiration. If there is a Polo outlet near you, look for the Polo University Club label. Buy nothing that has polyester in the fabric. You want wool. - wool gray slacks and a pair of well-made 100% cotton khaki slacks. - black dress shoes and belt with the grays - brown loafers and brown belt with the khakis. White or blue shirt with either a button-down or spread collar will work with both pants - rep or discreet polka-dot tie for each outfit and you are set for most situations.Cheers, RS

This. Spot on.

Yes, good advice above for most situations. But, I would avoid the gold buttons on the coat - most top quality blue coats will have discreet blue or black buttons and more versatile. I would use the rep or subtle pattern ties rather than polka-dot, unless the dots are small/close (pin dot).

A nice alternative here could be a well-cut black jacket - maybe with matching pants - as well as the grey wool and also a pair of taupe or tan/beige wool with shirt close in shade. This can be a bit more "dressy" for needed occasions and the all-black gives you the look for performances, very formal settings or funerals. The black jacket can be worn nicely with the 100% cotton casual slacks in tan, grey, etc. The "blue blazer" look noted above is great, but common - and in some occasions you could see quite a few clones.
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
I did sport the red crushed velvet well also

[Linked Image]

Matching shag haircuts. I love it. I was right there with ya'!
Posted By: Ward Re: Sport Coat ??? - 01/24/15
Dark blue is the way to go. Works with grey, khaki and light brown pants and darn near any shirt. Years ago I worked in a downtown, highbrow firm that required a suit if you would see a client and a sport coat and tie on days no clients would see you. I spent years getting away with Sears khaki work pants, blue sport coat and just about any shirt in my closet. Other guys spent a fortune keeping up with the required dress code while I spent about a third of what they spent. Always carried too and nobody ever caught on.
Innocence lost. I've got a tear in my eye. grin
Posted By: eh76 Re: Sport Coat ??? - 01/24/15
Posted By: Sykotik Re: Sport Coat ??? - 01/24/15
US Army field jacket....They'll know you're serious.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Sport Coat ??? - 01/24/15
hit the goodwills in your area and get a nice wool blend in dark gray.
Uhhhhh NO!
Posted By: eh76 Re: Sport Coat ??? - 01/24/15
A white sport coat and a pink crustacean...
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: Sport Coat ??? - 01/24/15
Ripsnort nailed it to perfection.
Posted By: sse Re: Sport Coat ??? - 01/25/15
Just picked up this Travel Blazer - Eddie Bauer, in navy

Casual, but I have recently worn it with a tie.
elk has evidently re-incarnated as a troll... laugh
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Sport Coat ??? - 01/25/15
I have two 'outfits'. Two button Navy wool Blazer from Bloomingdales, and matching grey wool trousers. Black shoes and belt. Various ties.
Brown/heather herringbone blazer, worn with Nordstrom Khaki slacks, brown Weejuns and woven leather belt.
Goodness knows I don't dress up often, but the wife unit keeps dragging me to the symphony and the opera down in Miami.
Nordstrom

Yes...great line, great company, family owned, based in Seattle, and they declined opening on T'giving.
Oh, and my kid does work there, but that has nothing to do with my unbiased opinion...LOL
Posted By: byc Re: Sport Coat ??? - 01/25/15
Tell you son that Nordies needs to start selling PB's for my one stop shopping needs! grin
1) daughter
2) PB's...?
Posted By: byc Re: Sport Coat ??? - 01/25/15
oh sorry...daughter...pig butts and bellies!!

All kidding aside she works for a first class run company. Theirs' and the Ritz Carlton Credos work!
i should'a known
© 24hourcampfire