Home
Posted By: 5sdad NE Storm Worthy of New Word! - 01/26/15
Our local weather guesser just annointed the NE blizzard as "cripplizing".
Shep on Fox News called it "Stormaggedon"... smile
Global Warming at its best
You mean, like when Snowmagedddon begets Shopocalypse?

Hippies trampling one another to stock up on organic, free-range hemp powder and goat's milk. TFF!

FC
Originally Posted by bea175
Global Warming at its best

Ain't it? whistle

Jaever notice how they run those global warming stories constantly in the summer when people are sweating, and then promptly shut the fug up when winter gets here? Idiots.
I hear the same old blab every time it gets cold somewhere. It was 70 degrees in Denver today. Forecast for the middle third of the country is for above normal through April and well above normal for the western third. The Bay area of California has it's wettest month in January, to date not one drop of rain has fallen.
Not being there, I can not speak for the current storm, but, how is it, we now have "The Storm of the Century", about every three years?
Because of global warming. Everyone know's that.
You have to realize if the train don't run and the Starbucks is closed, life becomes intolerable the 90% of the coastal population, which is all of the civilized world to them.

I'm just waiting to see if Christie calls in Big O for another man hug when this one's over.
Originally Posted by LostHighway
I hear the same old blab every time it gets cold somewhere. It was 70 degrees in Denver today. Forecast for the middle third of the country is for above normal through April and well above normal for the western third. The Bay area of California has it's wettest month in January, to date not one drop of rain has fallen.

That's GREAT news! Thanks. The productivity of the US bread basket is looking up.
Posted By: Steve Re: NE Storm Worthy of New Word! - 01/27/15
[Linked Image]
all the news media loves a good natural disaster. Boy do the ratings go up when people die or are in distress.
I've never been in a NE storm, so I cant say how bad they are. Considering its a winter storm, I can see where it can be really bad.

But, if the same people that named Super Storm Sandy are naming this storm, then there's not much to write home about.

They are just flapping their lips to keep their job.

eastern puzzys...... they us get on the end.... ..i'm ready!
Ever since one of the major networks (ABC?) bought out The Weather Channel there is a race to sensationalize weather as news. Same [bleep] weather we all experienced as kids. We just didn't go on and an about it. We just went out there and shoveled the schitt. And if it was so bad the roads were closed we ran snowmobiles down Main Street!
Ya really gotta run out and buy a buncha chit 'cause you might be snowed in for a few days...or a week? Really? Ya don't keep basic chit in the house?
60-75 mph winds with lotsa snow are nothing to joke about. The storm track is pretty weird. Here we are in a cold dry air trough that is actaully keeping the real major snow to our east. Here we just got downgraded to 6-10 inches but winds are going to be most unpleasant. NH K9 and Gari in Camo are in the bullseye. I hope those guys do OK.
Isn't this storm just kinda like your normal January weekend in Buffalo? grin
Nope. You get blizzrds in Nebraskee. 10-12 hours of 60-75 miph winds and 4" per hour snowfall qualify as a killer. Buffalo get "normal" northeast snow. LOTS of it but tending to be straight up and down MOSTLY.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: NE Storm Worthy of New Word! - 01/27/15
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Ever since one of the major networks (ABC?) bought out The Weather Channel there is a race to sensationalize weather as news. Same [bleep] weather we all experienced as kids. We just didn't go on and an about it. We just went out there and shoveled the schitt. And if it was so bad the roads were closed we ran snowmobiles down Main Street!

Amen, Amen, Amen!
Unless you're leaving in a tepee it ain't nothing but a thing.
You know what sea spray at 75 mph is like.Snow sucks even more.
Hell, 75mph gusts is another Sunday storm in Alaska. I never see them playing those up.

The big problem is the vast number of folks that feel compelled to go out in it, hence the tepee comment.

This one is talking 60-75mph steady for 10-12. Nasty crap.
I wish that all brave the storm and come out ok. My comments were aimed at the media....and of course the dumbasses that are always on the short list for the Darwin Awards.
Originally Posted by atvalaska
eastern puzzys...... they us get on the end.... ..i'm ready!

What does that mean in English?
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Ya really gotta run out and buy a buncha chit 'cause you might be snowed in for a few days...or a week? Really? Ya don't keep basic chit in the house?

If you have to plan for additional meals at home you will probably need more things

Many people shop on pay day, so if they get snowed in for several days it's time to buy anyway

It would be foolish to NOT stock up on last minute items

It doesn't mean you'd die without them

It's called "being prepared"
Hell, 75mph gusts is another Sunday storm in Alaska. I never see them playing those up.

No one cares what happens in Alaska
Some SMALL cities on the East Coast have more people than the whole state

We don't care if your igloo gets buried in snow
good then tell those pricks in DC to quit trying to control Alaska

biggest land mass, small population works for me

wish all those involved in the weather back east the best
2 legit: Thanks from back here but so far this thing is no big friggin deal.

I am waiting for it to get honking' and hope it doesn't but I've seen worse....so far anyway. smile

At least where I am.
I'm in Southern NH where accumulation is a guess between 18" to 25". It'll be a fun day at work trying to clean the roofs off of 800 53 foot trailers. Not sure if the Walmart truck shop will shut down. We'll see if the state shuts down the highways.

Ken
Besides the idiots for whom I don't have so much sympathy, the problem is trees and above ground power lines. One of the first things power companies do to save money is minimize tree trimming. So the threat is a lot of distribution lines going down and so much snow the line crews can't get there, at least not any time soon. And response time to fires which tend to peak with the cold.

Blizzards here every year but my electric utility overbuilt the lines for great reliability. And few trees. Still a problem with long rural distribution lines though.

Never saw snow with wind in Syracuse but plenty of lake effect. Too far inland to be troubled much by a nor'easter.
Its' honking' here now LOL!
Posted By: Stush Re: NE Storm Worthy of New Word! - 01/27/15
Originally Posted by Snyper

If you have to plan for additional meals at home you will probably need more things

Many people shop on pay day, so if they get snowed in for several days it's time to buy anyway

If you're prepared, you don't need to stock up at the last minute to accommodate a few extra meals over the span of 48-72 hours.

Posted By: Stush Re: NE Storm Worthy of New Word! - 01/27/15

The people that I've known in NYC often don't have much more than a box of cereal and some bottled water in their apartments at any given point in time. The concept of being prepared for even the most basic of situations escapes them.
Ain't too bad right now where I am. Little over a foot but the wind is honking pretty good with several more hours left.
Got to head to work in an hour and see what came down overnight.
Only good thing is there's a travel ban in effect so the nit wits won't be on the road except for this one.
They should have a travel ban every day around here.
Holy fugg. It's the friggin NorthEast. It fuggin snows every year, usually several times a year. These people need a fuggin life
Posted By: JDK Re: NE Storm Worthy of New Word! - 01/27/15
I really miss the days when it was called a "snow storm" and people actually went on with their lives.

with social media, every body is a freaking drama queen.
Posted By: JDK Re: NE Storm Worthy of New Word! - 01/27/15
It is not just social media, it is the Weather Channel and all of the media outlets. Named winter storms, what a joke. A little snow and wind and life as we know it ends.
Originally Posted by JDK
It is not just social media, it is the Weather Channel and all of the media outlets. Named winter storms, what a joke. A little snow and wind and life as we know it ends.

Yup. This is nothing comparatively. This is just a New England snow storm really. Blowing, cold, snow is light weight.

The media constantly over hype this stuff and people in general today are big babies,so it works and they all get scared haha!

Posted By: Pat85 Re: NE Storm Worthy of New Word! - 01/27/15
Got a whopping 2 inches. Hardly worth cleaning up.
Originally Posted by Stush
Originally Posted by Snyper

If you're prepared, you don't need to stock up at the last minute to accommodate a few extra meals over the span of 48-72 hours.

Maybe they didn't "need to"

Maybe they wanted something

I don't understand why some make such a big deal about it
Originally Posted by Akbob5

If this isn't true..I'll never forget Shepherd Smith though from Fox News covering Katrina. Granted, that was a true disaster on several levels but talk about a drama king..

Weather patterns or cycles have changed here though and I don't subscribe to global warming or anything man made at all but as a kid we'd regularly wade through thigh-high snow and have school off for three days to occasionally a week at a time. We still get the cold and the winds -- the first week in January this year we did not get above the -20's -- but we do not get the winter snow fall like in those days. I actually like the snow.
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
60-75 mph winds with lotsa snow are nothing to joke about. The storm track is pretty weird. Here we are in a cold dry air trough that is actaully keeping the real major snow to our east. Here we just got downgraded to 6-10 inches but winds are going to be most unpleasant. NH K9 and Gari in Camo are in the bullseye. I hope those guys do OK.
Some folks don't realize that houses are built differently in different areas and that one's house may not be built to withstand a "200 year storm" or whatever. Also, many trees won't withstand it and then one's house mayn't withstand said tree coming down upon the roof. You get a bunch of weight on those limbs and then compound it with high winds and the recipe for disaster has been met. We had one like that in 2001 and the week without power was not fun. Fortunately I was prepared and am more so now. Nothing like the real thing to get you up-to-speed for the next one. Stay safe my friend.
Laffin, they really are drama queens the weather people, it's no where near what they said it would be(here at the shore anyways).

While it's still snowing and the wind blowing it around a little, I don't think we got even 10 inches of snow. When it stops, we'll go out and start up the snowblower, son and I will have maybe a little better than an hours work clearing it.

While the house is always stocked, I wouldn't have gone to the store if I needed anything anyways, the weather azzes put the sheeple in a panic and they stampede the food stores for supplies they won't even need.

Here's a view at the beach, it's a live streaming cam:

Manasquan Inlet live streaming Cam
At least the storm gave the media something to talk about other than Brady's balls.
Anybody watch the morning crazies on the news in New York? Matt Lauer was making snow angels in the middle of 5th Avenue, and the newsman Al Roker said, I kid you not: "This storm did not set up as we hoped it would".

Really?
© 24hourcampfire