Home

It is rare to find such rare photographs as this, catching Travis in the moment. This picture shows him observing a distinguished crew of prairie dog shooters as they hammer relentlessly on prairie dogs at extended ranges with nothing but standard varmint calibers such as the 222 Remington magnum with 1/14 twist. Travis is in the distance with the red cap and drool running down his chinny chin chin...

[Linked Image]
Guess he didn't make Elk Hunter monthly...
Camera didn't break,thank goodness for small miracles. wink
Still looking for that herd of elk..........
Perhaps on the sidelines due to a tragic headstamp mixup whereby he brought .458 win mag ammo and mistakenly tried to chamber it in a .223 AI?

Please Shrap. Put Travy Jr on the elk this year.
Huh, figured he's be taller....
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Huh, figured he's be taller....

Me too.

I measure him at a tad over an inch on my screen.

I think Clark is a good deal taller.
Did travis direct any pithy and caustic remarks at the shooters? shocked
Looks like he's holding the binoculars backwards.
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Looks like he's holding the binoculars backwards.

Nope, but they are a special type of bino, as only appropriate.

[Linked Image]
Yawn...
Travis also wrote a great article toward the back of that same Handloader about using multple caliber cartridges in the same rifle. The article and his elk hunting trip inspired me to shoot .223 in my 30.06. I know he will say "Good For You" and I appreciate it. Travis (Clark, Dave, Wilma) are we still elk poaching in March?
That photo is actually an all star lineup.

Seated is Hawk I. Standing behind him is none other than DOWNSTREAM. Shrap is sitting in front of me.

I was paid $12K for use of the photo. Which I thought was fair.

Not sure what the other guys got.

Travis
Originally Posted by deflave
That photo is actually an all star lineup.

Seated is Hawk I. Standing behind him is none other than DOWNSTREAM. Shrap is sitting in front of me.

Not sure what the other guys got.

Travis

We got nothing but the pleasure of your company. I wouldn't take the $12,000.00 for that...
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Still looking for that herd of elk..........

Laughin'...

Actually, we did see an elk that morning. Right in the in middle of that flat ass prairie dog town.

Travis
it's kind of nice to know of someone that is somewhat famous. For many reasons, famous.
That has probably seen a certain winchester collection, i understand the drool.
Originally Posted by shrapnel

We got nothing but the pleasure of your company. I wouldn't take the $12,000.00 for that...

I'm going to use it to buy a bunch of Ruger American rifles and use them like paper plates.

BANG! BANG! Trash can...

BANG! BANG! Trash can...

BANG! BANG! Christmas gift...

You get the idea.

Travis
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
it's kind of nice to know of someone that is somewhat famous. For many reasons, famous.

Actually, I'm in awe of the shooting being done.

I have seen shrapnel's rifle collection. But I honestly don't know what half of them are.

Travis

I have seen shrapnel's rifle collection. But I honestly don't know what half of them are.

Travis

They're rifle's --- you dummy!
grin

I'm going to use it to buy a bunch of Ruger American rifles and use them like paper plates.

BANG! BANG! Trash can...

BANG! BANG! Trash can...

BANG! BANG! Christmas gift...

You get the idea.

Travis

This is just too much. Please don't get me anything for my birthday next week. Any gun you need to put carbon arrows in to stiffen the stock, I don't think I want...
You mean you were hammering AT the dogs; everyone knows short-light bullets supported by a slow twist result in crazy wind drift.
While further admiring this picture of me this morning, I noticed we have another Campfire celebrity in that mix. Just behind shrapnel is none other than mtcurman. AKA Ben.

He's shooting the greatest .17 Remington IN THE WORLD.

Travis

That's awesome! Just think if you had been up front and centered instead of way in the back.
Originally Posted by Cheyenne

That's awesome! Just think if you had been up front and centered instead of way in the back.

The original request was to use a full page picture of my face for the cover.

After speaking with my agent, they realized this was all they could afford.

Travis
Your agent should have shopped the good picture to another publication. "Show me the money."
Is that what they call a feature? Seems like an inability to effectively crop a photo. grin

The original request was to use a full page picture of my face for the cover.

After speaking with my agent, they realized this was all they could afford.

Travis

We've seen enough of your face already to know that your face belongs on radio, not print or TV.
222 mag? What is that, some kind of geriatric charity shoot?
Originally Posted by Oldman03

Travis

They're rifle's --- you dummy!
grin

that's like sayin a 400pound fat chick and a supermodel are both women, well yeah, but there is a difference.
I have seen on here some examples of that winchester collection, which means i better never go to montana, probably couldn't leave.
Originally Posted by JGRaider

We've seen enough of your face already to know that your face belongs on radio, not print or TV.

Here's a picture of me that always makes Texans excited.

[Linked Image]

YEEEEEEEEEEE-HAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWW!

Travis
Chit! Had I known you were a celebrity, I would have got your autograph at Christmas! I could have wrapped it up for my kid!

Great idea. His autograph and a Ruger American could easily fetch $150.00 on an open market...
The person who composed the picture did the best he could by putting him WAY in the background.

A display of a good sense of social responsibility on the photog's part!

This is Travis from the other direction. Again with binoculars and no clue...

[Linked Image]
Wood stock???
He should have had his hockey sweater on.
Originally Posted by efw
You mean you were hammering AT the dogs; everyone knows short-light bullets supported by a slow twist result in crazy wind drift.

Unless they're shrapnel....he's one of those "its not the arrow, its the indian" types....

He's got his gory assassination down to a science and just when you think you've got a lone, prone dog all to yourself, it blows up without you even squeezing the trigger.

I loathe drift, but inside 300 yards 40 grain bullets and the 222 Magnum is impossible to beat.

I even saw Barsness connect with a lowly 204 past 300 yards in a stiff wind, and everyone knows gunwriters can't hit anything.....

PS: Sako 222 Magnums used a 1-12 inch twist.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Did travis direct any pithy and caustic remarks at the shooters? shocked

He's really not that funny....
that cant be our Travis
he doesn't have a beer
No time for beer when you're shooting against The Shrap. He's merciless.

Travis
Rancho and I are headed there in about an hour and a half...
He shoots Tikka.

They're safe.

Travis
"LICK THE GUN, LICK THE GUN, LICK THE GUN!!!!"

I just imagined Rancho saying this to Shrapnel.
Gotta be stainless.
Rancho,

Every time you hammer a p-dog with your Tikka I want you to say "Dat's 'dat New Jack City, boy."

Travis
Your agent should have shopped the good picture to another publication. "Show me the money."

Ha! Zing.
That's not a zing, you dumb-ass Texan.

Travis
"Dumb-ass Texan" is a bit redundant when you read it out loud...

Travis

This is just a preview...

Big time.

Travis

Is ball still drunk from last night?

If I ever get sick in texass, please god get me to mexico before I catch ebola in a hospital or see eyeball standing over me.

Travis

Similar to "Sheep-screwin' Montanan", huh?

And, FWIW, a 244AI dispensing 55 gr B T's in excess of 4k fps is the epitome of fast twist-short bullet technology.
A 55gr BT?

That's hilarious.

Travis
A 55gr BT?

That's hilarious.

Travis

Yeah, this un' died laffin'... :

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by curdog4570
A 55gr BT?

That's hilarious.

Travis

[Linked Image]

I shot a bunch of 55 BT from my 6mm while seeing 55 Vmax doing far more damage out of 22-250s. Won't ever see me shooting BT again. The 6mm is now fed 105 Hornady - my windy day setup.
Would've loved to been there to witness this event.

Great! I will HAVE to buy this issue.. Thanks for the show.
Some prairie dogs tried to surrender, but their tiny white flags were ignored.
That's awesome. I just finished reading that issue.
A 55gr BT?

That's hilarious.

Travis

[Linked Image]

You had to be pretty drunk to build a custom rifle around the 55gr BT.

Travis
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Some prairie dogs tried to surrender, but their tiny white flags were ignored.

This year should be even better.

Mostly because I'm bringing a backhoe instead of a shovel.

UBER easy.

Travis

Drove by here today, very green over there behind John...

[Linked Image]
[quote=curdog4570And, FWIW, a 244AI dispensing 55 gr B T's in excess of 4k fps is the epitome of fast twist-short bullet technology. [/quote]

hm.Im confused.
I have a 244 AI,but the barrel is twisted 1-12,would be good for 55 gr,doesnt work for 100 gr.
why the reference to fast twist?

Fast twist does 2 things. It stabilizes longer bullets and makes the guys that shoot them feel like Superman...

Fast twist does 2 things. It stabilizes longer bullets and makes the guys that shoot them feel like Superman...

a 244 is different from a 6mm,only by the rate of twist in the barrel. a fast twist 244 is a 6mm,so why call it a 244 AI?
I must be missing something.

A 244 AI is a modified case by blowing it out for larger case capacity. If it really is a 244, it will have the slower twist, but the AI makes it a larger powder burner...
Originally Posted by fluffy

a 244 is different from a 6mm,only by the rate of twist in the barrel. a fast twist 244 is a 6mm,so why call it a 244 AI?
I must be missing something.

I think it makes Texans feel cooler about their .243 calibered aspirin flinger.

Travis
[quote=curdog4570And, FWIW, a 244AI dispensing 55 gr B T's in excess of 4k fps is the epitome of fast twist-short bullet technology.

hm.Im confused.
I have a 244 AI,but the barrel is twisted 1-12,would be good for 55 gr,doesnt work for 100 gr.
why the reference to fast twist? [/quote]

Because my fingers worked faster than my brain.grin

I had a really accurate 6MM Rem 700 that I had Improved. It shot the old Flat Base 100 gr. Noslers like dream, but I had it built on a Long action.

I gave it a friend and had one built on a short action 700, but when I picked it up from my 'smith, he had stamped the barrel "244AI", because it was a 12 twist. He was a B.R. and P D shooter and he mentioned the 55 gr B T as a good choice for P D's on calm days.

It was to be my "walking around" Whitetail rifle and occasional P D shooter, and works well for that. I put a 4.5 X 14 Loopie on it and shoot the 70 gr. B.T. for varmints and fireforming brass at P D towns.

The 85 gr. Nosler Partition is the heaviest bullet it will shoot accurately but they get the job done. I killed two Whitetails with it this year, one at 240 yards from a blind, and one at 140 yards offhand. Both one shot kills.

Sorry about the "fast twist" error.
[quote=curdog4570And, FWIW, a 244AI dispensing 55 gr B T's in excess of 4k fps is the epitome of fast twist-short bullet technology.

hm.Im confused.
why the reference to fast twist?

Because my fingers worked faster than my brain.grin

I had a really accurate 6MM Rem 700 that I had Improved. It shot the old Flat Base 100 gr. Noslers like dream, but I had it built on a Long action.

I gave it a friend and had one built on a short action 700, but when I picked it up from my 'smith, he had stamped the barrel "244AI", because it was a 12 twist. He was a B.R. and P D shooter and he mentioned the 55 gr B T as a good choice for P D's on calm days.

It was to be my "walking around" Whitetail rifle and occasional P D shooter, and works well for that. I put a 4.5 X 14 Loopie on it and shoot the 70 gr. B.T. for varmints and fireforming brass at P D towns.

The 85 gr. Nosler Partition is the heaviest bullet it will shoot accurately but they get the job done. I killed two Whitetails with it this year, one at 240 yards from a blind, and one at 140 yards offhand. Both one shot kills.

Sorry about the "fast twist" error. [/quote]
not a problem grin
Here is the last pic of Deflave using Binos on the internet:

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire