Home
Posted By: whambasted Anyone know Beemers? - 01/30/15
i am the proud owner of a 99 750 iL.......
Posted By: whambasted Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/30/15
any words of wisdom would be great... i want to make this thing last long time!
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/30/15
The harder you drive 'em the longer they last. wink
Posted By: Wtxj Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/30/15
Badger, he's in the know
what motor oil should i put in?
it is stuck in 4th in the trany (auto) and i wonder what kind of fix i'm looking at?

what plugs and just tune up methods for keeping this running well..? the motor sounds good but it's a v-12 and it has 190,000 miles on it...... i really like this car. every bell and whistle i've ever seen.... and a sunroof ta boot... i'm happy
Posted By: KFWA Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/30/15
whooooo lordy
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/30/15
Do you have a garage?
Posted By: Wtxj Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/30/15
Originally Posted by whambasted
what motor oil should i put in?
it is stuck in 4th in the trany (auto) and i wonder what kind of fix i'm looking at?

what plugs and just tune up methods for keeping this running well..? the motor sounds good but it's a v-12 and it has 190,000 miles on it...... i really like this car. every bell and whistle i've ever seen.... and a sunroof ta boot... i'm happy

PM badger he's the one that knows-----
Posted By: Brad Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/30/15

BMW = Bring My Wallet...
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Do you have a garage?

why yes i do.... but i have to rearange some stuff to fit it in

her name is souxsie
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/30/15
My sister had one. Their mechanic said that BMW's financed his kids' educations. He warned them to sell it before it went over 80k because that's when they start getting expensive.
you won't believe what i gave for it
Posted By: Partsman Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/30/15
Originally Posted by Brad

BMW = Bring My Wallet...

Bavarian Money Works
Big Money Waster
Bad Mechanical Workmanship
Posted By: ConradCA Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/30/15
They are awesome to drive. I had a lot of fun driving one from San Jose up highway 1 one night. I will never forget it. It is underpowered for a V12 as they had to reduce the power to make it more reliable.

The parts are extremely expensive and so is the cost of mechanics to work on it. It has a V12 engine that fills up the engine compartment. That makes it difficult and expensive to work on. I had one and the shocks cost 1,500 to replace! Was out of commission every 3 months and cost over a thousand dollars to repair each time. I think this is the reason they are relatively inexpensive.

Did you get an estimate for the cost to repair the transmission? I expect that it could run as much as $5,000-$10,000.

Only paid $19,000 for mine with 63k miles.

A more practical car that handles great is a Miata.
Posted By: EdM Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/30/15
For quite some time they have run full synthetics for all lubes. Not sure about 99 but the owners manual should tell you. Big balls buying one with that mileage.
Posted By: fburgtx Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/30/15
You should ask the previous owner for some lottery number picks or a loan.

The fact that he got 190k miles out of it means he's either a) extremely lucky, or b) filthy rich to be able to spend the bucks to keep a BMW running that long.

You'd do good to buy another one just for parts.....

Good luck!!!
is it worth the 2 k i paid for it?
Posted By: huskyrunner Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/30/15
Hey wham, nice ride! Pelicanparts has all kinds of diy documented. I've been playing around with a 99 boxster and the forum and tech articles helped me a lot. Gotta be a ton of dismantlers you can snag a good transmission from. That's gonna be some good fun there.

For the boxster, a rolling chassis is worth 3k.
Posted By: benchman Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/30/15
Actually, it's a "Bimmer"..."Beemer's" are bikes...
Posted By: Seafire Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/30/15
Back in the early 90s at the Lexus dealer there in Minnetonka, they had a 6 month old 750IL ( or maybe a 740, it was the top of the line during that time).... The Lexus dealer was asking $49,900 for it....

I asked them what did the car cost new, and they said close to $90K.... some black kid's mom had won the lottery and bought it for her little ghetto rat son, who got tired of it in 6 months and wanted a Lexus LS 400 instead...with the gold trim etc...

Couldn't believe a car would depreciate half its price in 6 months.... and that was what the Lexus dealer was selling it for...

Rode in a friends once, who had it a short time... was like riding in a Sherman Tank... Make that a Tiger Tank since its German...but he got his for a cheap price... and after he had to repair something he found out why...and sold it to someone else for a cheap price...
Posted By: 4ager Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/30/15

The previous owner was likely happy to get rid of it, as the annual maintenance bills are going to be hefty.

Have fun, and good luck winning the lotto.
Well for $2K, one could keep it washed and waxed and in the garage to impress all your friends... they'll think you are a high roller with lots of class...

and if you don't drive it, then it will last a long time like you desired...
Posted By: EdM Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/30/15
For one summer assuming the A/C still works.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/30/15
If I were going to throw money into an old BMW, it would have to be an late 70's 633csi The original coke dealer car.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/30/15
well I think this thread has done a great job of making him feel good about his purchase wink
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/30/15

I have a boat that I am selling. Anyone interested???

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/30/15
What about the coke dealer truck back there?
Posted By: noodlz Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/30/15
As a parts guy I love when people get "good" deals on used Beemers , Benzs ,Volvos , Jags and Saabs.....ka-ching. Only advice I can offer is , burn it for the insurance money.
Posted By: jeffdwhite Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/30/15
Originally Posted by benchman
Actually, it's a "Bimmer"..."Beemer's" are bikes...

This. And I prefer "bring more wampum" wink
Posted By: pointer Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/30/15
I think I would have put the car money into my business that I was not too long ago looking for people to invest in... wink
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/30/15
My brother's FIL gave him one that had almost 250,000 miles on it. My brother drove it another 150,000, then sold it. He said it was the best driving and riding car he was ever in.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/30/15
My older brother bought a new 540 -put over 350,000 miles on it and never had a major problem.
The tune & maintenance are costly but he liked having experienced mechanics doing the work and to keep the warranty straight you have to let BMW do the work.
I drove it for a few days when I went to visit -at that time it had over 200,000 miles on it and drove like a brand new car -better than some brand new cars.
Seafire , A BMW that rides like a tank ? I've driven -rode in several from the 3 , 5 ,6 & 7 series cars over the years NO BMW rides like a tank.
You will look long and hard to find a car that drives better than a bmw or mercedes benz . I bought a brand new toyota supra back in 88' a friend had a 325 bmw -pretty much new -you couldn't even compare the supra to the bmw.

Whambasted ,
I crossed paths with a 750 BMW when I lived in Biloxi, Ms. -I was going to New Orleans 65 miles away -out by a town called Diamondhead on I-10 ain't much out there . As I came up on the 750 he started speeding up -so I sped up -next thing you know we had our pedals to the floor board , I clocked him at 157mph .

Posted By: RickyD Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/30/15
you won't believe what i gave for it
You won't believe why. cry
Posted By: jbmi Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/30/15
I have nothing but good things to say about my BMW. Bought it new in 04 for my 60th birthday. Store it in the winter and put about 6K on it in the summer.
All service work by dealership (so far only oil changes,tires and brakes)
One of the nicest vehicles I've owned over the past 55 years.
Doesn't ride like my Ford Expedition, but then a little two seater isn't for comfort, it's for fun.
I'll drive it for many years to come then give it to my grand daughter.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Posted By: 338Rem Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/30/15
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I have a boat that I am selling. Anyone interested???

[Linked Image]

Jesus H Kee riist! Now you are a boat pimp!!! Next thing we will find out you are hoarding boats. grin
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/30/15
Prepare your anus. A BMW is the one car I would recommend a lease over buying any day of the week.
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/30/15
" Won't believe what I paid for it!"

Oh yes I will. That trans will cost you three times your purchase price. As too fluids and such, follow the owners manual. Any new oil is better than the old stuff. Trans, power steering, coolant, and brakes can have some oddball "BMW" only recommendations, so beware.

Good luck. Your going to need it.
you mis understood me my friend...

I wasn't referring to the ride itself, but being inside of it, felt like you were as secure as riding inside a Tank...

I'll give the car one thing, It was built more solid than any American or other foreign car I've been in, except maybe a Rolls Royce...
thanks for all the honest answers fellas
i forgot to mention that my dad is a bmw mechanic.
Originally Posted by pointer
I think I would have put the car money into my business that I was not too long ago looking for people to invest in... wink

it's doing just fine, i am rather glad now that i am winging this one on my own... more coin in my pocket for "project" cars and old gmc's
i have 2 84' jimmies and they are projects as well
Posted By: whambasted Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/31/15
i will use 8.5 qts. of mobil 1 synthetic and replace the filter... is the filter still located underside right next to the drain plug for the 99?

can i use a heavier weight trany fluid to try to solve some of the issues? maybe an intercooler for the trany?
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/31/15
Originally Posted by EdM
For quite some time they have run full synthetics for all lubes. Not sure about 99 but the owners manual should tell you. Big balls buying one with that mileage.

Shoulda jumped for a Svenske-made machine instead. They have their own special price-point with respect to repairs, but at least they don't need much and they last lonnngg.
i have been realizing what kind of a car i have with the 750 but i still like it a lot and i will do everything i can on the cheap... but it might not be that easy. still, it won't be a daily driver and for 2 k, i can always justify having it.
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/31/15
An oil change won't fix the the tranny. A tranny change will.
Posted By: ConradCA Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/31/15
i have been realizing what kind of a car i have with the 750 but i still like it a lot and i will do everything i can on the cheap... but it might not be that easy. still, it won't be a daily driver and for 2 k, i can always justify having it.

Good thing your dad is a BMW mechanic. Did you have him check out yours before buying it? How much is a new transmission?
Posted By: Wtxj Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/31/15
thanks for all the honest answers fellas
i forgot to mention that my dad is a bmw mechanic.

No more questions needed then? Dad will have all the answers.
Unless your Dad is Badger in GA. He's has one young one out in WY or Montana going to school.
i found one for 1500.00
my dad and i are like oil and water though....sum#####
Posted By: use2teech Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/31/15
My two cents....spend the money to have trans diagnosed at dealer or by your dad. Find a good used trans from a reputable salvage yard (there are quite a few) if that is the problem. Make sure they will stand behind it for 6 months at least, most will. The V12 can be a money pit but it sounds like you bought it right. Search for good salvage parts when needed since BMW thinks quite highly of their genuine parts (expensive). Find a dealer who sells under list price for the oem parts you need....check Ebay, there are a number of authorized dealers who do. Use the genuine BMW brand oil sold at the dealer 5W-30 full synthetic. It is a good oil and cheaper than mobil one by far. Use a genuine oil filter, it's worth the extra few bucks. The recommended oil change interval is 15000 miles. I would do it every 7500 since you have some miles on it. Check bimmerpost.com as there are quite a few knowledgeable and helpful people on their....just be careful as there are also a number of dumbasses. The E38 7 series is one of the best BMW's ever built. Have fun.
really, the trany problems seems intermittent
Posted By: CCCC Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/31/15

Depends on how you feel about the continued payments required to keep it on the road. A fun car with lots of nice features and great driving characteristics, but seems "over-engineered" in some ways (like the V12) and those aspects lead to higher costs of parts and service. Those auto trans are well-known for breaking and expensive repair. Just wince, smile and enjoy the driving.
Originally Posted by CCCC

Depends on how you feel about the continued payments required to keep it on the road. A fun car with lots of nice features and great driving characteristics, but seems "over-engineered" in some ways (like the V12) and those aspects lead to higher costs of parts and service. Those auto trans are well-known for breaking and expensive repair. Just wince, smile and enjoy the driving.

that was a very polite reply, i thank you sir.... this car is the apple of my eye and it is very fun to drive.

anyone ever put a can of seafoam in an engine like this?
Posted By: ConradCA Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/31/15
Many times serious transmission problems start out as intermittent.

Consider accumulating a number of parts cars to support this 750. My uncle would pick a reasonable priced car, buy a number of them and store the parts in his basement. Last one I remember was pink pintos. I am sure he saved a lots of money. He was an executive at Boeing in charge of the avionics on AWACs. smile
Thanks, parts look cheap on ebay... must be a lot of guys parting them out. good for me

bimmerforums looks like a really good one
Posted By: RichardAustin Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 01/31/15
You got a lot of car for your money. Will it be expensive, yea, most likely. I picked mine up at the factory. The Engineer comes out in a white lab coat and goes over the whole car with you. Drove mine around Germany for 6 months, brought it back and had a great car, although thee a/c could have been a little better. still on of the better cars I've ever owned. If you like driving, you'll like it.
Posted By: EdM Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 02/01/15
i will use 8.5 qts. of mobil 1 synthetic and replace the filter... is the filter still located underside right next to the drain plug for the 99?

can i use a heavier weight trany fluid to try to solve some of the issues? maybe an intercooler for the trany?

Ask your dad.
From a 1999 Motor Trend article:

In everyday use, this stately BMW V-12 is the ultimate gentleman. Its civilized and mannerly presence blends harmoniously with the 750iL's overall luxurious character. When called to action, however, it's eager to respond. Producing 326 horsepower and a smoldering 361 pound-feet of torque, this 12-cylinder doesn't explode with power; rather it voraciously consumes blurring pavement in great, long, hungry gulps. Stepping into the throttle is like uncorking a willing genie from its bottle. Its initial smooth lunge transforms into a surreal rush that sharpens your senses, stokes your adrenaline, and doesn't let up until the speedo taps against its limiter at 155 mph. Holding your foot into the throttle is like dipping into a neverending well of pure, sweet acceleration. Adding to the appeal of this rush is a low, assertive rumble from its exhaust, one that commands respect without resorting to the crass decibel display of more ostentatious cars. With three separate catalytic converters to scrub the emissions, BMW's V-12 is also conscientious enough to earn a California Low-Emission Vehicle rating. Its technological edge is further displayed in such things as an industry-first liquid-cooled alternator that's smaller and quieter, yet generates more power than a conventional unit.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_9904_1999_bmw_750il/#ixzz3QS9VzoXh

A good, professional overhaul on that V-12 engine shouldn't cost more than...say...maybe $1,000. per cylinder? And I wonder what it costs to replace that liquid-cooled alternator? Good luck.
Posted By: badger Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 02/01/15

Have it diagnosed by a dealer or a good independent shop that has the correct software. The transmission (ZF 5HP24) is electronically controlled and has it's own control unit in the "E box" under the hood. It's possible you may have a harness problem or an oil contaminated connector on the transmission case. Also check the engine to chassis grounds and most importantly replace the relays that power up the DME and the Trans control units. Lots and transmissions have been replaced only for the original problem to resurface. Stuck in 4th gear at times means it is in default mode. 4th and reverse are the only 2 mechanically selected gears in that transmission. 1st through 5th (excluding 4th) are controlled by solenoids.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 02/01/15
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
From a 1999 Motor Trend article:

In everyday use, this stately BMW V-12 is the ultimate gentleman. Its civilized and mannerly presence blends harmoniously with the 750iL's overall luxurious character. When called to action, however, it's eager to respond. Producing 326 horsepower and a smoldering 361 pound-feet of torque, this 12-cylinder doesn't explode with power; rather it voraciously consumes blurring pavement in great, long, hungry gulps. Stepping into the throttle is like uncorking a willing genie from its bottle. Its initial smooth lunge transforms into a surreal rush that sharpens your senses, stokes your adrenaline, and doesn't let up until the speedo taps against its limiter at 155 mph. Holding your foot into the throttle is like dipping into a neverending well of pure, sweet acceleration. Adding to the appeal of this rush is a low, assertive rumble from its exhaust, one that commands respect without resorting to the crass decibel display of more ostentatious cars. With three separate catalytic converters to scrub the emissions, BMW's V-12 is also conscientious enough to earn a California Low-Emission Vehicle rating. Its technological edge is further displayed in such things as an industry-first liquid-cooled alternator that's smaller and quieter, yet generates more power than a conventional unit.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_9904_1999_bmw_750il/#ixzz3QS9VzoXh

A good, professional overhaul on that V-12 engine shouldn't cost more than...say...maybe $1,000. per cylinder? And I wonder what it costs to replace that liquid-cooled alternator? Good luck.

That excerpt shows you how far we've come in engine technology. A 326hp V-12? That is an underpowered V-8 pick-up. For that matter, Hondas, Nissans, and whatever else you want to name are getting that much and more in V-6s and mid-sized family sedans and doing 0-60 in the fives.

Posted By: Wtxj Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 02/01/15
OP, badger has given away $1,000's worth of info to you. Least you could do when on line again is Thank him. He is in the know.
Posted By: whambasted Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 02/01/15
That excerpt shows you how far we've come in engine technology. A 326hp V-12? That is an underpowered V-8 pick-up. For that matter, Hondas, Nissans, and whatever else you want to name are getting that much and more in V-6s and mid-sized family sedans and doing 0-60 in the fives.

with turbos

this v-12 does not have turbos
Posted By: whambasted Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 02/01/15
Thank you very much for that info. Badger... p.m. me if you ever need anything.... wham/ wyo.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 02/01/15

with turbos

this v-12 does not have turbos

I've got a truck with a V-8 with a hundred more horsepower than that and no turbo.
Posted By: Teal Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 02/01/15
5.0 Mustang is 435 hp and 400 lbs torque.
Posted By: whambasted Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 02/04/15
new wrinkle.... the coolant level goes down about 1/2 a gallon and i'm noticing a vapor from the firewall when it is up to temp... the heater core doesn't seem to be putting out much if any heat.... the oil is dark and smells fine. is this a problem that i can get to without tearing the motor out? are there systems that can be eliminated to simplify the cooling and heating. i don't need or want really half of the fancy stuff but i love this motor and believe that it could be simplified but that is an unprofessional opinion... i also thin k that the trany problem might be exactly what Badger stated.... simple fix but i want to tackle the coolant issue first. this car has 185,000 miles on it and i dumped a can of seafoam in the motor.... just trying to keep this thread going and learn a thing or two. sorry if i irritate some of you.... wham
Posted By: SEdge Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 02/04/15
Originally Posted by jbmi
I have nothing but good things to say about my BMW. Bought it new in 04 for my 60th birthday. Store it in the winter and put about 6K on it in the summer.
All service work by dealership (so far only oil changes,tires and brakes)
One of the nicest vehicles I've owned over the past 55 years.
Doesn't ride like my Ford Expedition, but then a little two seater isn't for comfort, it's for fun.
I'll drive it for many years to come then give it to my grand daughter.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

I have one just like it in silver. Best dam# car I ever owned. Not very practical but the fun factor is out of this world.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 02/04/15
i believe that model has a front and rear muffler bearing, with that many miles on it you might want to check them.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i believe that model has a front and rear muffler bearing, with that many miles on it you might want to check them.

you have problems with your bearings then.... or just when boozed
Posted By: add Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 02/04/15
Sounds like you have couple issues going on here, may want to revisit that relationship with your dad.

[Linked Image]
he's an ahole but i love him....his loss not mine.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 02/06/15
Given what you wrote about the coolant, you may have a leak at one of the firewall connections or even at a connecting joint within the heater box. Could be the heater core itself leaking. If you don't need a heater and don't wish to fool with diagnosis/repair you MIGHT be able to install a coolant flow shut-off valve in the delivery hose.
Posted By: whambasted Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 02/06/15
Originally Posted by CCCC
Given what you wrote about the coolant, you may have a leak at one of the firewall connections or even at a connecting joint within the heater box. Could be the heater core itself leaking. If you don't need a heater and don't wish to fool with diagnosis/repair you MIGHT be able to install a coolant flow shut-off valve in the delivery hose.

that right there is some great help and advice!! Thanks CCCC and Badger for participating. it's people like you guys that help me to appreciate humanity!! this is a fun car and more trouble than most but i like the challenge!
Posted By: JAC43 Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 02/06/15
My old BMW exhibited the same coolant loss. Turned out the plastic expansion tank had a crack.
Posted By: whambasted Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 02/06/15
Originally Posted by JAC43
My old BMW exhibited the same coolant loss. Turned out the plastic expansion tank had a crack.

Thanks! ever had waterpump issues?

Posted By: JAC43 Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 02/06/15
Yes, that too, 2002 330i. Around 100k I replaced the expansion tank assy and water pump, hoses, serpentine belt and idler & tensioner pulleys while I was in there. Price wasn't to bad for parts thru autohaus AZ.
Posted By: slabslapper Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 02/07/15
Same drill here; got it all done before anything started leaking. Going much past 100k is risky.
Posted By: whambasted Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 02/08/15
i found the leak.
it's the parallel to the firewall hose near the heater core
Posted By: ConradCA Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 02/08/15
I would guess that an overhaul would be more like $5,000. This car is very difficult because the engine fills up the engine compartment and the parts are very expensive.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 02/08/15
i found the leak.
it's the parallel to the firewall hose near the heater core

is it the heater core? what would you have that leaks besides the heater core or the heater core hoses at the firewall?

I'm particularly in tune with that because I traced anti-freeze loss in my sons cars to the heater core. Now we get to decide if we want to rip the dash out and the passenger seat in the middle of winter to fix it, or just bypass it and not have a heater for the car in February.

Neither are appealing options.
Posted By: badger Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 02/08/15
Originally Posted by ConradCA
I would guess that an overhaul would be more like $5,000. This car is very difficult because the engine fills up the engine compartment and the parts are very expensive.

$5000.00 MIGHT get you a valve job. Doubtful, though.
Posted By: whambasted Re: Anyone know Beemers? - 02/11/15
that's an expensive valvejob
© 24hourcampfire