Home
What measures are you taking?

A practical shared ideas thread to better prepare those who feel its necessary.

Shod
generally ive got enough stuff around to get through a major winter storm or 3.....no point in me preparing for more cause the shelf life of a very vital med i need is quite short....chit hits the fan, society dies and im long dead before things get real bad anyways.....not worth loosing sleep over.....massive snows that strand us on our own for awhile however are quite possible and for those in outlying areas around me, some not that far from town it has happened to quite recently....we only have climatic records for here for lil more than a century....had a record shattering total winter snow accumulation just a few years ago.....no clue if thats a once a century thing once every 500 years or if this was an odd dry century and we havent seen what really happens here....

i care bout blizzrds and similar and not much else....
A large amount of ammo in .223, 9mm, 243 and 12 gauge.

A months supply worth of food.

Camping gear and boxes to pack up most of my stuff on my vehicle.

Need more food, a water filtration system and a bug out place.

Check out this website: Survivalist Boards
Plenty of ammo, stores laid up for at least a year, add to them every time I go shopping. Read the series by A American (author) 5 books now, to get an idea what it would come to. Makes you think about how inadequately prepared you really are.

SHTF protocol says never to divulge what you have at your locale.

Only kidding....sort of....
Originally Posted by Shodd

Shod

Proper preparedness would require knowledge of:

1) what type of schit is hitting;
2) what type of fan is involved;
3) the velocity of the schit pre- and post-blade engagement;
4) the spray pattern of the schit after hitting said fan;
5) the time of the initial impact;
6) the volume of schit involved;
7) whether the stream of schit is constant or attenuated;
8) whether the fan maintains a constant velocity or not;
9) the location of the fan;
10) the direction of the flow of schit pre- and post-fan engagement.

I doubt you know these, nor that any one does. Therefore, proper preparedness is impossible.

Now, if you want to go off on tangents about "defending the homestead", just look up safariman's rant on that recently. If you want to fantasize about "heading to the hills", there are plenty of sites for that stupidity.

I doubt seriously as to whether your inquiry will be taken seriously here, or whether any that have a clue will clue you in on what they're doing (or not).

It can best be summed up as "even if you knew what to do, you still wouldn't know what to do".
I have everything I need so I don't have to leave the house for 2 months. That should get me through most natural disasters.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I have everything I need so I don't have to leave the house for 2 months. That should get me through most natural disasters.

But, what about the UN? Oh, and zombies? Maybe even UN zombies? How will you deal with them?

Oh, and the Apocalypse? Rapture? A comet impacting the Earth? The death of all the bees?

What about a new Ice Age? Or, what if it stops raining instead?

Are you prepared, man? Are you?
I got a Glock and a generator.

But seriously there are a few things I need to to get, water purification should be towards the top of the list for me.
I have an imagination.
I have the skills to get by the same way my ancestors did and enough food to get through until I raise more if needed.

My dad, who's 83, didn't live in a house with electricity until he was in the eighth grade when they moved to town. He taught me alot about raising food and the practicalities of butchering meat without the niceties of freezers and such. My grandmother was a wealth of knowledge also.

Chit you can't read in a book.

Kent

Shod

op sec. Why would I share with the OP? smile
I've got decent rain-gear in the closet, and the wife carrys a blankie in the back of the Honda.
.no clue if thats a once a century thing once every 500 years or if this was an odd dry century and we havent seen what really happens here....

Those are just talking points. A few years ago we had what was termed a 500 year flood and the next year was about 12 inches below normal and then another 500 year flood. Weather does as it wants too. I think it was Will Rogers that said, "everybody talks about the weather but no one does anything about it." miles
Yupinz given I own a place in north Idaho where upon I can kill and eats bear, moose, deer and elk whilst spinning milk to mske huckleberry ice cream.
if the scenario is I get to stay in place and tough it out, I'm good

If I have to g.o.o.d. , then I'm not so good - but I'm working on that.
I have the skills to get by the same way my ancestors did and enough food to get through until I raise more if needed.

I have enough food to last quite a while. Lots of it is frozen and I will have to can some before it goes bad, but I have a generator to keep the freezers going for a while and propane cook stove with a large tank. I could even jerk some of the meat. Ammunition for all of my guns and reloading supplies for most. Water should not be much of a problem but would have to boil a lot of it. Plenty of wood for that. I think that I am as well off as most. miles
American Express Platinum card....
Originally Posted by Kenneth
I've got decent rain-gear in the closet, and the wife carrys a blankie in the back of the Honda.

you might be more ready than any of us.
I would not have to head for the hills, I am already there.

Food, water, shelter, guns and ammo. The only difficulty I foresee is getting an Angus beef cow to stand still for milking.
Originally Posted by roundoak
I would not have to head for the hills, I am already there.

Food, water, shelter, guns and ammo. The only difficulty I foresee is getting an Angus beef cow to stand still for milking.

This^^^
All of us who live in urban areas are [bleep]. We have a great place in the mountains of central PA, but no way to get there..
when uncivilsation comes, it will be helpful to be able to rely upon one's wits.

good recipes for cats & dogs would be invaluable. chinese resturants in the old school can do it better than anyone.
Originally Posted by krp

My dad, who's 83, didn't live in a house with electricity until he was in the eighth grade when they moved to town. He taught me alot about raising food and the practicalities of butchering meat without the niceties of freezers and such. My grandmother was a wealth of knowledge also.

Kent

I am prepared, i know where kent lives. And he can make that really good fried fish. I am good.
I'm pretty sure the only thing that prepares a person for SHTF is previously surviving a lot of S.
Those that have will be the first to die.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I'm pretty sure the only thing that prepares a person for SHTF is previously surviving a lot of S.

actually that is a pretty good statement. Having come from people that survived really bad times both here and in the old country, a lot of that stuff is not really thought of, it's just normal behavior. Like the reason i never sweated the .22lr thing. I still have several garages that were originally stuffed with old scrap wood, used in the winter time. Nobody had central heat.
I was telling somebody the other day about some dirt. My grandmother used to have this big garden, grew a lot of vegetables that i really didn't want to eat. She used night soil and pee to help the soil along. When she died, i tore the garden out, and stuck all the dirt in a safe place where it has been incubating for about 20years. Sooner or later, that soil is going to be reused.
I have a six month supply of food, dry kidney beans, lentils etc in nitrogen packed 5 gallon buckets. Canned salmon, corned beef etc.
Water from the spring, and downspouts.
A one year supply of propane.
One year stack of firewood for the wood stove.
Guns ammo etc.

Like roundoak said, I don't have to head for the hills, I am already there.
And the hills are a good place to be. My brother lives in Atlanta, if things really got bad, he and his family wouldn't last a week down there. Bad location and even worse, his wife is a lib and doesn't like guns so he has no guns.

But I am pretty well set up, I can give it a good try.

Let the games begin!
The only difficulty I foresee is getting an Angus beef cow to stand still for milking.

They mostly have little teats and a crossbreed would be better. grin miles
I'm pretty sure I won't survive a nuclear blast, my odds get better as the threats decrease.

Kent
Are you prepared for SHTF scenarios

If someone thinks they are, then they are blissfully ignorant.

If someone has done nothing at all, they are blatantly ignorant.
I have a years supply of meat, as usual this time of year. half of it is canned and I have enough cans to do the rest if I find myself without power for a while. Downside is, it's not very portable. the G.O.O.D. scenarios don't bode well for the vast majority of people.
luckily I live in a small town so I'm not too worried about civil unrest right now.

Sure hope the REDSKINS win before SHTF!
Originally Posted by byc
Sure hope the REDSKINS win before SHTF!

Hell freezing over might be the SHTF on that one.
[quote=isaac]Those that have will be the first to die. [/quote

You pretty wise for a Lawyer.

I remember an episode of MASH wherein Hawkeye had come by a suit of long johns. Didn't take long for the rest of the crew to figure out he had something going for him that they didn't have. And they reacted in predictable fashion.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
All of us who live in urban areas are [bleep]. We have a great place in the mountains of central PA, but no way to get there..

All of my brothers-in-law live in cities and have no outdoor background. One BIL got stuck working in a hospital with no power, in a flooded area, for a week after Hurriocane Katrina because the authorities thought it had been evacuated. He learned how to improvise. I explained to him that something as simple as an LED mini-mag flashlight with a couple extra batteries in his bag could have given him light for the duration of the adventure. He learned a LOT from his experience.

A couple of years ago I gave the BILs a copy of �When All He11 Breaks Loose� by Cody Lundin. One of the wives, who lives in Chicago, was not impressed. I asked her what she would do if the power grid went down for a couple of weeks. She thought for a few seconds and said �Go to a Hotel????�
It took me 3+ hours just to get out of DC yesterday. Maybe 30 miles. SHTF there one may as hunker down and deal with it because nobody is going anywhere!!
People are social animals. Despite what the movies and books portray, we don't do well as singular entities, nor will zombies roam the land looking to kill and eat us.

For better or for worse, society is where it's at, survival And resource wise.

Deflave for supreme leader!
I will be in charge of the treasury, and will damn well make sure a picture of Candice Swanepoel is on the new currency. Bitch bucks are finally gonna have a hot bitch on them.
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Thought he already was. He and SYSOP!
All this talk makes me think. If a person wants to really prepare for an unknown catastropic event, they should probably simulate one, although I doubt most would.

It could be as easy as shutting off thier utilities and motorized equipment for while or loading up their family and driving into the counrty until the vehicle runs out of gas. It doesn't take long before things begin to prioritize themselves.
I have enough to last a winter without utilities.

As with a few others, I'm already "in the hills." And I can tell you this: The topic comes up sometimes about many people saying they'd run for the hills. The typical response from hill people is that it wouldn't be a great idea. We wouldn't want hordes of idiots adding to our local idiots.

Aside from all that, living in the hills, especially in winter, ain't all that easy without utilities. Especially if you're used to suburban living.

So good luck with that plan if that's what it is. If you own a piece of land in the hills already, then by all means, come on up.
I keep a list of people that I know will have food, and are unarmed.

It could be as easy as shutting off thier utilities and motorized equipment for while or loading up their family and driving into the counrty until the vhicle runs out of gas.

About every 10 years or so, Mother nature does that for us here in Arkansas, with a major ice storm. Longest that I have been without electric is 18 days, and then I bought a generator as my freezers were starting to thaw. miles
All this talk makes me think. If a person wants to really prepare for an unknown catastropic event, they should probably simulate one, although I doubt most would.

It could be as easy as shutting off thier utilities and motorized equipment for while or loading up their family and driving into the counrty until the vehicle runs out of gas. It doesn't take long before things begin to prioritize themselves.

That's what those TV prepper's do. Funniest one was when they all got into a raft and then stabbed it with a knife. The dog made it to shore.
SHTF and I'm going to the beach.
I'll be fine.

[Linked Image]
Just two generations ago, my grandparents, they survived and prospered. Are we so pussified it can't be done again.

My grandmother drove mule teams, a model A across railroad ties laid in the sand dunes for a road and later a Cadillac.

There will always be some that can tough it out.

Kent

reading that story about the guy surviving in the city for 2 years during the Slovenia war was enlightening.

Buy a few cases of liquor to barter, stock up on ammo and have a bunch of medical supplies, soap and cleaning supplies is what I took away from his experience.
Originally Posted by KFWA

reading that story about the guy surviving in the city for 2 years during the Slovenia war was enlightening.

Buy a few cases of liquor to barter, stock up on ammo and have a bunch of medical supplies, soap and cleaning supplies is what I took away from his experience.

Yep, and a skill that puts you in demand making you worth more alive than dead.
The DEA burned a large stash of recently seized mota upwind of my place some time back, inducing a terminal case of the munchies.
I'm glad this thread reminded me to go check my SHTF supplies.
Sure enough, the Miss Debbie Chocolate Cupcake bunker looks like it could stand a re-stock.
Other than that,all is in good order.

GTC
also - live in a burned out shell of a house because if people think you have something to protect, they're going to come after you

+1.

Travis
Praise the Lord and pass the 22-250.
also - live in a burned out shell of a house because if people think you have something to protect, their going to come after you

Yep.

If you let people know you have something they might want, don't be surprised when someone comes to try to take it.

That goes double in these SHTF fantasies. I especially love the ones where old, sick, worn-out, or constantly traveling dudes with pretty wives and/or daughters think that they are going to hole up and "defend the Alamo" if SHTF. Yeah, right. You've got something "wanted", and if it's just you, then someone is going to come take it. The ones where they'll have the wife/daughters engaged in daily outside the house chores fetching stuff, or where they'll bundle everything up and set out with them into the wilderness alone is even more hilarious.
It's not so much are you prepared enough, it's are you you mean enough to survive?
I love the "head for the hills" plan.

I've never had easier living than when I lived next to the ocean.
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Kent,

I agree knowledge is the most important. I doubt if Arizona could support 1 million people these days, 1/2 million was ok when your grand dad (and mine) were running around.

think about the deer hunting around globe and superior and morenci....when there was a strike. not so good.

the number of people that go hunting now is higher than ever, the gear is better than ever, and a lot of these folks are pretty good hunters.

I'm figuring most game is going to be cleaned out pretty quick.

Sycamore
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Kent,

I agree knowledge is the most important. I doubt if Arizona could support 1 million people these days, 1/2 million was ok when your grand dad (and mine) were running around.

think about the deer hunting around globe and superior and morenci....when there was a strike. not so good.

the number of people that go hunting now is higher than ever, the gear is better than ever, and a lot of these folks are pretty good hunters.

Sycamore

There's always something to eat, if you're willing to eat it.
Seems to me that in most areas game like deer and such will take a huge hit quickly. And even more so if no one has refrigeration or preservation skills.

A gill net or box fish trap will likely be more useful.

How good is your well? - What would it take for you to put a well with a hand pump down? LINK

Even in many cities, folk are now keeping a small hen house.
If you live rurally, laying hens are the easiest and surest source of meat protein available. Quiet, unobtrusive, cheep... grin

How much room do you have to store dried staples like beans and rice? How much do you have on hand?

What are your gardening skills and how much garden do you maintain?

Have you any experience or means to can food? The set-up is relatively inexpensive, but experience is priceless.

How well do you know your neighbors? Are their core beliefs and values similar to yours?

pretty easy to get a meal from the ocean...
Damn right.
Originally Posted by stxhunter

My Grandparents, with 6 boys and one daughter, got through the post depression/ WWII era in coastal carolina on potatoes and oysters.

and shrimp

One may or may not be able to amass the supplies, but my thinking is that mindset is much more important. These guys give a good representation:

Originally Posted by Steve Timm's Blog
There was one distinct problem. It was now almost dark and there was no way we were going to slip and slide our way down to Snake River at that time of day. If necessary, we�d descend the 4,000 vertical feet of icy hillside the next morning. Like it or not, we were going to have to spend the night out in the wilderness.

The wind was such that we were getting pretty cold, so we walked over to the far side of the ridge and dropped off the top. After we�d climbed down a short distance, I found precisely what I wanted; a nice protective rim rock and a rather large hackberry tree.

The rim would keep the wind off of us and it would reflect both the heat and the light of our fire. Even more important, the hackberry tree would provide us with wood that burns hot and long, even when it�s green.

We did an inventory of our packs and we had all we needed to survive the night. Heck, we�d even eat like royalty because I had the elk�s heart and liver in my pack. It was going to be a cold and very long night, but we�d live to see the morrow and we�d be fine.

Whether it be for one night, for for several months, knowing that you'll make it through is an awfully big part of it actually happening.

FC
I stocked up a few cases of canned goods, some TP, dry goods, etc. Found out a couple days ago the wife uses it whenever she wants something not in the cupboards. Kind of defeats the purpose when we're not on the same page. Also, a packrat mentality leaves little room to store anything important when little white snowman birdfeeders and old seat covers from three cars ago take up the available space. Add the usual daily drama that comes with owning a woman and teenage kids. It's very frustrating to be honest.
Originally Posted by stxhunter

========

Maybe not by day 3 when they're 3000 folks on that beach front.
Originally Posted by krp
Just two generations ago, my grandparents, they survived and prospered. Are we so pussified it can't be done again.

My grandmother drove mule teams, a model A across railroad ties laid in the sand dunes for a road and later a Cadillac.

There will always be some that can tough it out.

Kent

That nails it. Aside from natural disasters, the BIG,BAD, events in our history were Not of the sort an individual could have foreseen and prepared for.

As a kid growing up, we lived in old houses out in the country that were generally not even considered good enough to rent out. I saw my Aunt and Uncle transform them into livable habitat with whatever was available and free.

And we never really went hungry. The Old Man was a working fool at whatever task was in front of him, and even though he was illiterate, SOMEONE always was willing to pay him to do something they needed done whenever the drilling rigs were stacked.

So I learned the important life lessons from a man who couldn't read and write.

The ones who already know those lessons and can impart them to their extended family will be among the most fortunate in a S HTF scenario.

Those who guessed wrong as to the nature of the catastrophe, and have cut themselves off from society will not fare so well.
as long as we keep the religious freaks out, our 3,000 member tribe will be just fine.
I'm just going to steal your abalone. Worth more than gold these days, I hear!
I know where all the Mormons in the neighborhood live.

mike r
This thread reminds me of the "tiny house" documentary I watched last night. 30 year old city slicker and his girlfriend buy a tandem axle trailer, tow it to a friends house with a Toyota, and proceed to learn how to build a house on it. Should be done in 3 months. Not. A year later they tow it out to some land in Colorado with someone else's Chevy Duramax cuz ain't no way that Toyota's even getting it out of the yard.

Fast forward to cozy porch, sunset, young love. No mention of water or septic arrangements, just blissful ignorance. They did have solar panels for power. I figured they make it three days then the tank would need to be dumped and they'll be heading for town.
I am not assured about my survival or preps but I have thought about it extensively because IMHO stuff seems to be too quiet and we have way more than a sustainable population on our planet. Somebody or some thing is going to change the status quo. As an Alaskan its my duty to endure.

One dedicated BOL that is off the grid with a year's worth of supplies about 300 miles from here. I have enough food supplies here to last a year as well. More than 100,000 rds of 22lr and 100 lbs of silver. My wife has hypothyrodism and I have about 10 years of medication for her. We would have to go to Valdez or Cordova for seaweed but I have family established in those places as well. I have worked an extra part time job at SW for three years and I buy my stuff (ammo+everything else)at such a discount that I probably could last for a long time. I have enough dedicated archery setups that I wouldn't need to use firearms for anything but threat elimination. Right now, I am working on building enough of a base so that I could support my extended family.
The house we presently live in(Trailer) looks like a shanty and would not get noticed. The park manager is a good friend with way more preps than me including a self sufficient potato farm with about 10 years of preps in Delta. Everything in the park is monitored by cc video. He is older but very much a gray man. There would be a lot of threat elimination early on but then we would bug in until we could bug out. He has three large unimogs for getting to his place and I would run supports until I got to mine. Basically, with what I have once I get out to BOL 1 I would work to get ready to go completely off the grid for good in about two months. I have property in WSTE national park that I could actually defend against everything except a cruise missile. With the ag potential and the salmon I could live then next thirty years there. It has both geothermal and a huge mountain of coal as fuel resources.

I wouldn't pass this along without the proviso that hardly anybody would ever expect me to have those plans and you probably couldn't find me unless you were Randy. I believe he is equally well prepared but would go a different way. Its been -40F- -50F all week and that is normal weather for us during this time of the year. We thought that EL Nino was going to make us into sissies. I relish this weather because it makes the weak-minded move away.

Sincerely,
Thomas
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I know where all the Mormons in the neighborhood live.

mike r

Roles reversed.

"Uhhhh, I wanna be a Mormon and stuff. You got anything to eat while I convert?"

Travis
That's Plan B! I'm teaching the G-kids to say Joseph Smith rocks and to grovel.

mike r
Travis;
Good morning to you sir, hopefully you and your fine family are well this last Friday morning of January.

So I've watched this Corb Lund video at least twice and saw them do it live too.

Do you think that's enough prepping for me or should I consider converting to LDS?

Thanks in advance.

Dwayne

PS;
Corb's a self confessed "back slidden Mormon" wink
Gary Cooper said it.. If I'm going to starve, I'm going to do it where it's warm.
"Are you prepared for SHTF scenarios"

Most likely, NO.
One will just have to do what one has to so that he/she can extend life for as long as possible.
Move to Havre.
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Move to Havre.

Why in da fuuc would anyone move to canada?
This is the internet.

We are ALL prepared as tier-1 uber-ninja operators that can handle any SHTF scenario.

Neighbor feeds the birds and squirrels so they are fat and abundant. Food base is covered smile
kaboku: You say that your wife has hypothyroid, and you also said you go somewhere to get seaweed.
Are you getting the seaweed to treat your wife's ailment?

I, too have suffered from hypothyroid for 20 years. It will really mess up your life. It is especially scary to think about dealing with hypothyroid in a survival situation.

I went around and around with Armour Thyroid, which is freeze dried pig thyroid gland, stuff worked pretty well. Was on synthroid for about a week, that stuff didn't do me right.

At any rate, I now take 3 supplements, which really help and I am about back to my old self. I take 200 mcg selenium, 25 mg iron citrate, and 225 mcg kelp daily. Kelp, as I'm sure you know, is seaweed, comes in little pills.

Here is my source for kelp:

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-premium-kelp-iodine-source-225-mcg-500-tabs?otherSize=SW337
Originally Posted by BC30cal

Do you think that's enough prepping for me or should I consider converting to LDS?

Thanks in advance.

Dwayne

PS;
Corb's a self confessed "back slidden Mormon" wink

Dwayne,

I don't think anybody is stupid enough to bother you. SHTF or not.

I hope you and your foreign country are doing well. Weather is good here so I may even go outside this weekend.

Travis
Originally Posted by eh76
Neighbor feeds the birds and squirrels so they are fat and abundant. Food base is covered smile

We have one of those community gardens.

After all the vegetables become ripe for picking you can just walk through and take whatever you need. It's really cool and beats the schit out of having your own garden.

Travis
If your only plan is guns and ammo, you're going to have a rough time.
Drinking water would be my major issue. Several months of food and about a 5 year supply of fire wood on hand.
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by eh76

We have one of those community gardens.

After all the vegetables become ripe for picking you can just walk through and take whatever you need. It's really cool and beats the schit out of having your own garden.

Travis

translation: I steal food out of my neighbors yard at night
I would work to transition her from synthyroid to the iodine found in seawake seaweed. It wouldn't be perfect but hopefully it would work enough in the long run.

Sincerely,
Thomas

translation: I steal food out of my neighbors yard at night

No.

Sometimes it is early morning.

Travis
Originally Posted by johnw

What are your gardening skills and how much garden do you maintain?

You ever try and grow something in Wyoming? You have to have mad skills to get anything to grow!
Originally Posted by Steelhead

We are not talking about whiskey! grin
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Kent,

Sycamore

thats what most people dont realize..in the early 1900's people looked around and realized the whitetail deer might wind up extinct there were so few around...and that was with a hell of alot less mouths to feed than today....even up here in the middle of nowhere it was notable to see just tracks when my granddad was a young adult....good big game hunting is a relatively new thing in its present form and takes alot of rules being followed to keep it that way with the number of people versus number of critters....
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
kaboku: You say that your wife has hypothyroid, and you also said you go somewhere to get seaweed.
Are you getting the seaweed to treat your wife's ailment?

I, too have suffered from hypothyroid for 20 years. It will really mess up your life. It is especially scary to think about dealing with hypothyroid in a survival situation.

I went around and around with Armour Thyroid, which is freeze dried pig thyroid gland, stuff worked pretty well. Was on synthroid for about a week, that stuff didn't do me right.

At any rate, I now take 3 supplements, which really help and I am about back to my old self. I take 200 mcg selenium, 25 mg iron citrate, and 225 mcg kelp daily. Kelp, as I'm sure you know, is seaweed, comes in little pills.

Here is my source for kelp:

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-premium-kelp-iodine-source-225-mcg-500-tabs?otherSize=SW337

seriously thinking of trying this route and see if it helps me....
Canadian is my second language.
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Move to Havre.

Why in da fuuc would anyone move to canada?

That's a racist comment.

And inaccurate.

Travis
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I'll be fine.

[Linked Image]

Highly unlikely you'll be fine with only 18 beers.
There's no beer in that picture.

Travis
In the SHTF scenario, the deer and turkeys wouldn't last long.
The Game Warden and the Sheriff would be out shooting deer with a spotlight at night, so they could feed their families.
In about a month, all gone.

As someone suggested, one valuable trade commodity would be booze. Squirrel away 3 or 4 cases of George Dickel, or Smirnoff Vodka, nice but not too expensive booze. Get it in glass bottles.
In the survival situation, you got a bottle of George Dickel with the seal intact, you could trade it for just about anything.

The cheapest way to store a lot of food is to get five gallon buckets of dried beans, corn, barley, hard red winter wheat, etc, nitrogen packed.
Stored in a basement this food will last 25 years. While brown rice is very good for you, no good for long term storage, it only lasts 18 months.

Get a hand cranked grain grinder and grind up some wheat and corn and make some cornbread. Add a cup of the hydrated cooked beans to a loaf of cornbread, you have almost a perfect food. Costs about five cents per slice.

[Linked Image]

My Corona grain grinder. This thing is built like a tank, weighs 11 pounds.
a number of years ago this topic came up with a mormon friend of mine. He had loaded two years of supplies on a tandem axle trailer then showed me where it was. I said that was very convenient, what size ball did the trailer take, and had he heard of suppresive firepower? He said not to worry, he was armed and i would have trouble if I borrowed it. He showed me the rifle, it was a bolt action 30.06 rusted shut.
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
a number of years ago this topic came up with a mormon friend of mine. He had loaded two years of supplies on a tandem axle trailer then showed me where it was. I said that was very convenient, what size ball did the trailer take, and had he heard of suppresive firepower? He said not to worry, he was armed and i would have trouble if I borrowed it. He showed me the rifle, it was a bolt action 30.06 rusted shut.

interesting story. does it even matter wo wins and who loses when the social order beaks down? i mean, we're all clones of each other. so, if anyone survives at all, it'll be a win for us all, right? wink
I was at Sams club today and they had a bucket, about 6 gal, that was supposed to be a 30 day supply for one person, of emergency food. $99 and change. miles
I have a democrat neighbor. I should have no problem takkng his stuff sice i have a gun and he doesnt.
a case of Knob Creek 100 proof?
a years supply of burlap, a harmonica and polaroid camera.
I GOTTA laugh every time this subject hits the front page.

I can't seem to avoid thinking of this "Apex predator", lurching up my lane in it's "Body Armor"

certainly a (ahem) terrifying prospect, what ?

[Linked Image]
as long as we keep the religious freaks out, our 3,000 member tribe will be just fine.

I live on the coast just west of Portland Oregon. I'm thinking around here it may be closer to 300,000 plus folks headed for the Beach. I'll first head to Montana and stick it out as long as possible. When game gets scarce and most the city folks have died.....and they will....I might head for the west coast.

No way I'd go anywhere near the east coast. That place will reak of flesh for several years.

Shod
rattler: There are two ways to go if you have hypothyroid. If you go to a doctor he will probably put you on synthroid, a synthetic thyroid hormone.
Like I said, I tried that for a week and it didn't work for me.

You may find a doc who will put you on Armour Thyroid, which is just freeze dried pig thyroid gland, made into pills.
I was on this stuff for years. It worked pretty well for me.

But then, a guy at a health food store explained to me that probably my thyroid was still functioning, but needed support with mineral supplements.

Let's take your heart. It runs on sodium and potassium. If your potassium gets too low, you will die of a heart attack. I was working in the ER, and worked on, and watched a 34 year old man die because he was low on potassium. He needed mineral supplements. Had he just drank a glass of V8 juice that morning, which is loaded with potassium, he would not even have gotten sick.

In the same manner, the thyroid needs minerals. It needs iodine, selenium, and iron.
In the healthy thyroid gland, a person gets enough of these minerals in his diet to provide good thyroid function.
However, if the thyroid gland is damaged, as mine is, you need to supplement these 3 minerals.

Now bear in mind, I had been treated by MDs for over a decade, with mixed results, and then I got this advice from a guy in a health food store about the mineral supplements. I figured I had nothing to lose so I tried them.
I have been on the iodine, selenium, and iron for 2 years and I am in pretty good shape, my thyroid functioning is back up to about 90 percent of normal. No more Armour Thyroid for me.

Hypothyroid is very difficult to treat, I saw 8 different doctors and most of them didn't know what they were doing.

If you go to an MD, he will most likely give you a scrip for thyroid hormone, to replace your inadequate supply of thyroid hormone.
Or, you can go the route I am taking, take mineral supplements to boost the production of your own thyroid gland.

As bad as hypothyroid is to deal with today, it is really scary to think about having to deal with it in a survival situation. That is the great thing about these supplements from the health food store. They are cheap, and keep a long time. You can stock up with a 2 years supply of this stuff, for peanuts.
Originally Posted by rem141r
a years supply of burlap, a harmonica and polaroid camera.

I got the harmonica!!! AND, I will add,,,, I can play it!
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
rattler: There are two ways to go if you have hypothyroid. If you go to a doctor he will probably put you on synthroid, a synthetic thyroid hormone.
Like I said, I tried that for a week and it didn't work for me.

You may find a doc who will put you on Armour Thyroid, which is just freeze dried pig thyroid gland, made into pills.
I was on this stuff for years. It worked pretty well for me.

But then, a guy at a health food store explained to me that probably my thyroid was still functioning, but needed support with mineral supplements.

Let's take your heart. It runs on sodium and potassium. If your potassium gets too low, you will die of a heart attack. I was working in the ER, and worked on, and watched a 34 year old man die because he was low on potassium. He needed mineral supplements. Had he just drank a glass of V8 juice that morning, which is loaded with potassium, he would not even have gotten sick.

In the same manner, the thyroid needs minerals. It needs iodine, selenium, and iron.
In the healthy thyroid gland, a person gets enough of these minerals in his diet to provide good thyroid function.
However, if the thyroid gland is damaged, as mine is, you need to supplement these 3 minerals.

Now bear in mind, I had been treated by MDs for over a decade, with mixed results, and then I got this advice from a guy in a health food store about the mineral supplements. I figured I had nothing to lose so I tried them.
I have been on the iodine, selenium, and iron for 2 years and I am in pretty good shape, my thyroid functioning is back up to about 90 percent of normal. No more Armour Thyroid for me.

Hypothyroid is very difficult to treat, I saw 8 different doctors and most of them didn't know what they were doing.

As bad as hypothyroid is to deal with today, it is really scary to think about having to deal with it in a survival situation. That is the great thing about these supplements from the health food store. They are cheap, and keep a long time. You can stock up with a 2 years supply of this stuff, for peanuts.

im on synthroid, have been for a couple years.....seems like things change rougly every year and ive got to bump the dose some....the hell with SHTF scenarios just figure its in my best interest to keep my thyroid, or whats left of it, as healthy as possible as long as possible....
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
I GOTTA laugh every time this subject hits the front page.

I can't seem to avoid thinking of this "Apex predator", lurching up my lane in it's "Body Armor"

certainly a (ahem) terrifying prospect, what ?

[Linked Image]

Are those the idiots who were prepping to take other peoples stuff? And in the process exposed gun ownership as a felon?
Yup
Looks like Seahawk fans to me.
rattler: Like I said, I had been messing around with Armour Thyroid, and synthroid, for over 10 years, and I was still pretty sick. I felt cold all the time, had little energy, and had "brain fog," mental confusion. Had been to 8 MDs.

One night, girlfriend and I went to a Jap sushi restaurant. Ate a bunch of fish, wrapped in seaweed.
An hour later, I felt great! I felt healthy for the first time in years! Felt well for about 5 hours, then felt sick, again, as usual.
I investigated the food I had eaten, and I learned that salt water fish, and seaweed, are rich in iodine.

So that, not long after, when I was talking to this guy at the health food store, and he said that mineral supplements of iodine, iron, and selenium would boost thyroid function, I was all ears.

That link provided above for swansonvitamins.com is where I get my supplements, they are a real good company, and this stuff is cheap. Good luck, I am not sure if this stuff will work for you but it is worth a try.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I have an imagination.

Thanks, Dan, for that breath of fresh thinking. I have several tools to fish, net, trap, hunt, gather just about anything and know what to look for in a SHTF environment.

I never throw out a paper clip, wine cork, sewing needle, twine, or rope. Any C-clamp, wire clamp, copper tubing, aluminum railing, or copper, brass, or stainless fitting goes in the box.

I gather every single good brass casing from my range outings and always ask my range compatriots to either side if they are saving theirs. 9 times out of 10, they are not. Last Sunday I shot 120 rds of .45 ACP, picked most of them up, and got another 400-500 mostly 9mm and some 40 S&W, along with about 50 .38 spcl's.

I have multiple ways to cook, build fires, store fuels, and wage conflict, if necessary.

Keep canned foodstores of 3-6 mos in house and several properties I can easily walk in to.

Also have at least 3 "arm your family/friends/neighbors" stuff in tight little packages ready to go.

I've got 4 55 gal drums, 2 ready to go with unleaded, and 2 ready for anything else. My hotrodder buddy was just over tonight to help me fix a plumbing issue and asked me what the 2 empties were for, dead bodies? I said 'not yet'.

My only remaining issue right now is maintaining a fresh water supply.
Originally Posted by EdM
Yupinz given I own a place in north Idaho where upon I can kill and eats bear, moose, deer and elk whilst spinning milk to mske huckleberry ice cream.

Phugger. smile

I live on the coast just west of Portland Oregon. I'm thinking around here it may be closer to 300,000 plus folks headed for the Beach. I'll first head to Montana and stick it out as long as possible. When game gets scarce and most the city folks have died.....and they will....I might head for the west coast.

No way I'd go anywhere near the east coast. That place will reak of flesh for several years.

Shod

your gonna be one thats dead quick.....hell this is one of the last places ild head mainly cause so many would be likely to be willing to say phug it and give it a go to stick around....in such senarios new faces are far from welcome.....

not to mention we must have some of the highest percentages of gun owners amoung the states...might not be top but likely top 5

plus some nasty country to get through to get here from where you are without nice highways.....

if your plan involves moving long distances, especially to unfamiliar country you dont have a plan....plus the Montana Rockies make for a long, rough phuggin winter for anyone from warmer climates

If your environment changes, adapt accordingly.

Instead of stocking a lot of booze to use as barter, I'm thinking about learning how to make shine.

You know, teach a man to fish ...
Growing up in Montana every family had at least 20+ rifles. I'm guessing its probably the most well armed State in the Union.

Also being the least populated many folks from other parts of the country intend to head Montana way during a SHTF situation.

Just for the record most Montanans intend on eating drifters for quite a few years.

Shod
Growing up in Montana every family had at least 20+ rifles. I'm guessing its probably the most well armed State in the Union.

Also being the least populated many folks from other parts of the country intend to head Montana way during a SHTF situation.

Just for the record most Montanans intend on eating drifters for quite a few years.

Shod

you are definitely gonna be gone quick
Four words:

Strategic toilet paper reserve!
I will just lay down and die, no reason to come around here
Has anybody ever seen what happens when SHTF?

I've not seen it hit the fan, but I have seen it hit the floor, and wall. And it was horrific.

Travis
no but i saw what happens when an antelope hits the radiator fan of a 69 malibu going 80. i would expect shtf to be similiar.
It's not.

I watched a good friend schit in his hand and throw it against the wall once.

It was horrible.

Travis
that is a good friend indeed
Originally Posted by deflave
I watched a good friend schit in his hand and throw it against the wall once.

It was horrible.

I had a client do that and then offer to shake hands with me.
Sign on wall in wifey's kitchen;

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire