Home
Gets elected as a Repub Governor in a Blue state.

Evidently appeals to Hispanics.

SHOULD appeal to women.

Cruz might would take second spot to a woman. I doubt he would run with another male.

What are her weaknesses as a candidate for POTUS?

What could the Clinton machine dig up on her?
I can't imagine how someone named "Martinez" would appeal to Hispanics. She's also fluent in Spanish.

Her weaknesses as a candidate is that she has zero name recognition in the national perspective. She's an impressive lady who owns a private security firm. She is a staunch 2nd amendment supporter. I've heard he speak once and I was impressed.

Her lack of political machine and no name equity is a problem.
I doubt she would get my primary vote, but she a damm sight better than Hillary.

http://www.ontheissues.org/Susana_Martinez.htm
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
I can't imagine how someone named "Martinez" would appeal to Hispanics. She's also fluent in Spanish.

Her weaknesses as a candidate is that she has zero name recognition in the national perspective. She's an impressive lady who owns a private security firm. She is a staunch 2nd amendment supporter. I've heard he speak once and I was impressed.

Her lack of political machine and no name equity is a problem.

That could get changed, easily, if she and the Rs wanted to do so.

Obviously, at least one of them does not care to do so.
" no name equity is a problem."

Compared to a "Bush" in the primaries and a "Clinton" in the General?

Is there a term; "Name fatigue"?
Originally Posted by noKnees
I doubt she would get my primary vote, but she a damm sight better than Hillary.

I started this thread as part of my ongoing study of human nature. I knew that Jorge would be opposed because she's a woman, and Bowsinger would approve of her 'cause Sarah Darlin' helped her get elected.

I was sure that all the members from the N.E. would be lukewarm, at best.... and you've verified that.
Well,..she did Complete her first term as Gov, and she's an OU grad, probably worth a Vice running mate look.
There is no shortage at the V P level. We need someone at the top who has zero gag factor for the T P types among the R's and rates a second look from the Dems.
I know very little of her. I do however feel like this would be a very good time to get a woman into the WH. Women can cut a person in half in a way that most men cannot.
Primary wise, it would depend who else is on the ticket. Presidentially if on the ticket, I'm in.
Martinez is vetted, proven and solid...for VP material, not the big show.

If she fulfills complex voids that may exist for the GOP nominee, it's possible, I'm sure.

Two years out, anything is.

Look how much energy we've all put into Romney 2 years out. Now he's out. We're going to see a great deal more of this in my opinion and then on election night 2016, we'll again vote for one of two candidates, and their VP selections, just like we have all done since we were 18 or thereabouts.

I don't see name recognition as a problem. No one heard of zero or clinton when they came on the scene. Now we wish we hadn't. Maybe clinton and the demoncraps would wish they never heard of Martinez after she got momentum.

The concern I have, is does she want to run? I could get behind her 100% if she does.
In my human nature study, I'm mildly surprised by your open-mindedness, but it's still within my prediction parameters. grin Once your conversion is complete, you could be a big help bringing the establishment around.

From a General Election view, I think a Martinez/Cruz ticket would have the Dems and their media allies in a panic.

From a governing standpoint, I think they complement each other very well. Any weakness on Foreign Policy experience can't REALLY be exploited by Hillary, now can it?
I don't know allot about her but I've yet to hear anything bad and I'll take a Governor over a Washington insider so I'd support her.

How about Walker/Martinez?
Can she be/is she a bulldog?
Originally Posted by RickyD
I don't see name recognition as a problem. No one heard of zero or clinton when they came on the scene. Now we wish we hadn't. Maybe clinton and the demoncraps would wish they never heard of Martinez after she got momentum.

The concern I have, is does she want to run? I could get behind her 100% if she does.

She's a Lawyer/Politician and you wonder if she WANTS to be POTUS? grin
I googled her pic. I could get
behind her.
Originally Posted by curdog4570

She's a Lawyer/Politician and you wonder if she WANTS to be POTUS? grin
I do. I don't believe those failings necessarily defines a person.

Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I don't know allot about her but I've yet to hear anything bad and I'll take a Governor over a Washington insider so I'd support her.

Exactly!
There is no shortage at the V P level. We need someone at the top who has zero gag factor for the T P types among the R's and rates a second look from the Dems.
I voted for her twice. In the last election, she absolutely buried Attorney General Gary King, the Democratic candidate who is the last (we hope) in a New Mexico political family dynasty. She carried all but the northern tier of counties which are old Hispanic and stubbornly vote Democrat. Republican fund-raisers love her and she raked in about three and a half times what King did. Most of that came from out of state.

She was handicapped during her first term trying to deal with a House and Senate dominated by Democrats. However, she got her way with the budget for the most part and her threatened vetoes headed off any proposed tax increases. This year, she has a Republican House and the Democrats have a smaller majority in the Senate. There are some moderate Democrats who have already sided with Republicans in the Senate on a few issues and that gives her a better shot at getting some of her priority legislation to her desk. It's a long session this year (60 days instead of 30) and that works in her favor, as well, giving her more time to work with those moderate Democrats in the Senate.

As far as being a V. P. candidate, I don't think that she will do it, even if they try to draft her. She has strong family ties and responsibilities in New Mexico right now and she doesn't seem to want to strain them.

Additionally, her husband Chuck Franco retired as Undersheriff in Dona Ana County when she was elected the first time. I have heard nothing negative about Chuck, but politics at the Sheriff's Office in Dona Ana County have been practiced along the lines of what we used to "Mexican politics" when I was growing up over in Texas. Democrats are likely to look harder at his background since they haven't found anything in hers to attack.

To win the General, she HAS to be at the top of the ticket. The V P slot allows the media to scream "pandering to women and Hispanics".

And what does Walker have in his resume that makes him a better choice?

I started this thread as part of my ongoing study of human nature. I knew that Jorge would be opposed because she's a woman, and Bowsinger would approve of her 'cause Sarah Darlin' helped her get elected.

I was sure that all the members from the N.E. would be lukewarm, at best.... and you've verified that.

Well, there has been some buzz on some of the Palin sites and reasons given why a Palin/Martinez ticket makes sense.
Originally Posted by eh76

Exactly!

If you just want a capable guy who is the personification of "ho-hum", Walker, like Paul Ryan, fits the bill.

He is a MUCH easier target for demonization by the Dem media than Susana.

So is a dog turd.
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER

Well, there has been some buzz on some of the Palin sites and reasons given why a Palin/Martinez ticket makes sense.

Well, that's the ONLY place it could make sense. Susana is surely smart enough to see the V P slot as a dead end for her, just as it was for Sarah Darlin'.

I'm gonna push ol' Rick Perry to grab him some early limelight and poke a finger in the Bush family eye at the same time by endorsing Susana.

She likely wouldn't be a primary pick of mine because of her background as a prosecutor. I would prefer someone more libertarian. I would rather have the next president's scotus picks be more of that streak.

She would get my vote and some of my money in the election if she won the primary.
Name recognition doesn't mean much to me, these days. I'm so unencouraged by most of the names currently out there. frown

When I hear Obama/Biden/Clinton/Kerry/Albright refusing to say the words, "Islamic terrorist", and saying that global warming is our nation's largest national security threat, my baseline has now moved down to the point where I just need to see whether a candidate has any sort of grasp of reality.

It reminds me of the kids movie, "Babe", when the duck is watching the family eat roast duck for Christmas dinner. As he wails about how unkind and unfair it is, the cow bitch slaps him by saying, "The only way you'll find happiness is to accept that the way things are is the way things are."

I was lamenting to my 14 year old today, about how 36 years ago, we had an oblivious puzzy president, who thought the world could be soothed with kind words & placation, who sullied the economy, and got pushed around by Iran.

The country got tired of that schidt, & elected someone with both a spine and a scrotum. They got the country turned around, & we enjoyed 2+ decades of peace & prosperity.

Then the country somehow was convinced that we had it too good, and they elected an oblivious puzzy president, who thinks the world can be soothed with kind words & placation, who has sullied the economy, and gets pushed around by Iran.

Hopefully the midterms are an indication that this nation has once again had enough of that schidt.

FC
So you'll be beating the Paul drum in the primaries?
I could do a Cruz, Martinez ticket. I have not seen anything offered that looks better.

To win the General, she HAS to be at the top of the ticket. The V P slot allows the media to scream "pandering to women and Hispanics".

Well,,, he's won three elections in four years (one a recall) in an UBER liberal state.
He's also taken on (and defeated) the Teachers union. Which pleases me to no end.

As far as the media goes, they'll say that regardless of where she runs.

I'm not against her being at the top of the ticket though but I'd like to know allot more about her first.
So I ask you the same question.
What does Martinez have in her resume that makes her a better choice?
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER

Well, that's the ONLY place it could make sense. Susana is surely smart enough to see the V P slot as a dead end for her, just as it was for Sarah Darlin'.

I'm gonna push ol' Rick Perry to grab him some early limelight and poke a finger in the Bush family eye at the same time by endorsing Susana.

Susana is surely smart enough to see the VP slot as the first step in putting herself on the national stage.
Just as it did for Sarah.
So you'll be beating the Paul drum in the primaries?

Oddly enough my vote only really means something in the primaries as it would take a miracle for my state to be competitive in the general election. (though I have voted in every presidential election from RR on). I would rather use my vote to drive the party to the right/libertarian direction.

I haven't decided yet but if forced to choose this second.. probably Rand or Ted. Probably Cruz, because I have doubt Paul has the skill set to be president, same 10X over for Palin. I have some issues with each, but you rarely have a perfect choice.

we need a candidate that believes in free markets, personal responsibility, and a desire to limit or stop the endless wars.

war is good if you happen to own a war-company.

for the rest of us, not so much.

we do need ldrshp.
Gov. Martinez isn't a bad sort.

Way better than the communist, Bill Richardson that she took over from. She has cleaned up a lot of what he previously messed up in her first term.

She would also have a lot of Meskins voting for her. wink
Originally Posted by Gus
we need a candidate that believes in free markets, personal responsibility, and a desire to limit or stop the endless decisively win wars.

we do need ldrshp.
I agree
Originally Posted by Gus
we need a candidate that believes in free markets, personal responsibility, and a desire to limit or stop the endless decisively win wars.

we do need ldrshp.
I agree

the collective consciousness in this country has forgotten what it means to win a war. our forte is profits for the war-companies.

i don't know anything about the Governor from New Mexico. i do like New Mexico, especially the Taos area. lol

hopefully, we'll get to learn more about her as time goes on.
Before long, we are going to be saddled with a woman president. If it happens to be someone like Hillery or her ilk, they will ruin, if not break, the country, much like zero has. So, Martinez sounds like a good opportunity to shut up the MSM, as much as anyone could, get the electorate excited for someone new and a lady to boot, and take the heat off getting a female in the WH. I also believe she'd do a good job.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Gov. Martinez isn't a bad sort.

Way better than the communist, Bill Richardson that she took over from. She has cleaned up a lot of what he previously messed up in her first term.

She would also have a lot of Meskins voting for her. wink

THIS Meskin would vote for her - yet again!
There is really very little I disagree with her over, and she is trying her darnedest to clean up the mess Richardson bequeathed her.
Maybe she can make a bit more progress, now that she has more political backing.
It surprised me how many Susana bumper stickers I saw here in San Miguel and Mora counties (hotbeds of liberal Dems)
Originally Posted by Scott F
I could do a Cruz, Martinez ticket. I have not seen anything offered that looks better.

As much as I like Cruz, I can't see him beating the Establishment's pick - Bush - in the primaries. If, by chance, he managed to get that done, he would have lukewarm backing from them against the Clinton/Media consortium.

They make much of us Tea Party types sulling up and not supporting THEIR guy. That would be as nothing compared to their response if OUR guy was the nominee.

What are they gonna use to disqualify Susana in comparison to the openings Ted has given them?

Like Ben said, I doubt she would take the No. 2 slot. Cruz might.

Well,,, he's won three elections in four years (one a recall) in an UBER liberal state.
He's also taken on (and defeated) the Teachers union. Which pleases me to no end.

I'm not against her being at the top of the ticket though but I'd like to know allot more about her first.

I'm willing to consider their resumes as being equal. But..... if a resume of accomplishments were to be the deal maker, or breaker, I'd say Perry has 'em both beat.

And if resumes counted for much, Romney would have won in '12.

People in this country are ready for somebody new and exciting just as they were in 2008.

THAT ain't Walker.

It sure as hell ain't Bush.
Before long, we are going to be saddled with a woman president. If it happens to be someone like Hillery or her ilk, they will ruin, if not break, the country, much like zero has. So, Martinez sounds like a good opportunity to shut up the MSM, as much as anyone could, get the electorate excited for someone new and a lady to boot, and take the heat off getting a female in the WH. I also believe she'd do a good job.

An excellent summation, my friend.

I wish SteveNo was around. Be interesting to read his rebuttal.

Then again, he's a pretty sensible guy, and he is NOT the Establishment bootlicker some tried to make him out to be.

He might would surprise me. Might even have taken down the picture he had of him and McCain. grin

I'm willing to consider their resumes as being equal. But..... if a resume of accomplishments were to be the deal maker, or breaker, I'd say Perry has 'em both beat.

And if resumes counted for much, Romney would have won in '12.

People in this country are ready for somebody new and exciting just as they were in 2008.

THAT ain't Walker.

It sure as hell ain't Bush.

You're the one that brought up "resume's".

Well, yeah, I did bring up the question of Walker's resume. Because, face it, in the intangible - but important - parts of what makes up "electability", Martinez seems to bring a lot more to the table.

Folks from the Midwest probably don't count being "bland" as a handicap, but candidates from that part of the country suffer from it in the minds of the rest of the country.

Al Franken is about the only exception to the blandness rule. grin

An excellent summation, my friend.

I wish SteveNo was around. Be interesting to read his rebuttal.

Then again, he's a pretty sensible guy, and he is NOT the Establishment bootlicker some tried to make him out to be.

He might would surprise me. Might even have taken down the picture he had of him and McCain. grin

As quiet as Steve_NO has been, I figure he's angling for an appointment somewhere, or local election, so minimizing his web-presence. Just a hunch.

Our loss, he was funny.

Sycamore
Originally Posted by mudhen

As far as being a V. P. candidate, I don't think that she will do it, even if they try to draft her. She has strong family ties and responsibilities in New Mexico right now and she doesn't seem to want to strain them.

Additionally, her husband Chuck Franco retired as Undersheriff in Dona Ana County when she was elected the first time. I have heard nothing negative about Chuck, but politics at the Sheriff's Office in Dona Ana County have been practiced along the lines of what we used to "Mexican politics" when I was growing up over in Texas. Democrats are likely to look harder at his background since they haven't found anything in hers to attack.

As long as it wasn't Rio Arriba county!

Sycamore
Ben may have a point. Reckon her husband has a "negroheadrock" on his hunting lease?
Putting a (strong, smart) women #1 on the Repub ticket certainly would stifle the MSN as well as the Dems. Having a Hispanic checks additional boxes and would then allow the Rs to work a VP based on the biggest hole that needs to be filled.

And based on what I know about her, she sounds like a solid candidate. We could do much worse.

I could support such a ticket. Cheers NC
7 states with most people on food stamps

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/persona...st-people-on-food-stamps.html/?a=viewall
Walker / Martinez and a North East NJ guy wouldnt have to hold his nose for once.

Thats hold my nose for voting... not in general.
Some New Mexico politics

NM lawmaker back at Legislature after husband sentenced

SANTA FE, N.M. � A northern New Mexico lawmaker who skipped the opening days of the legislative session to attend her husband�s sentencing hearing has been sworn in.

House Democrats announced Monday that state Rep. Debbie Rodella of Espanola took the oath of office after missing a week.

She had attended hearings involving her husband, former Rio Arriba County Sheriff Thomas Rodella.

The ex-lawman was sentenced last week to 10 years in federal prison for abusing a driver in a bizarre, off-duty traffic stop that prosecutors described as a fit of road rage.

U.S. District Judge James Browning said after reading letters from the public, it appeared Thomas Rodella also abused his position in exchange for votes for his wife.

The Espanola Democrat did not respond to a reporter�s question about the judge�s comment.
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

We've improved! At one time we were tied with Mississippi (IIRC) for 1st place!

That said Susana inherited a long-term problem, I believe we are now on the seventh generation of welfare recipients. And we're STILL better than DC. where the folks that could resolve the problem reside!
© 24hourcampfire