Home
Posted By: Fireball2 The Toyota truck threads - 02/04/15
Be forewarned, read those at your own financial peril! I've read them all and couldn't take it any longer, so I gave the old one to the kid, and stepped up to this 2009 w/ 41K miles. V6, automatic (so the wife can drive it too), TuRD Sport.

Of course the technology is far ahead of even my 1999 Dodge Cummins work truck. Cool stuff like tailgate camera and a couple traction options. I guess my mpg won't be any better than the Cummins, but it'll be quieter and a lot more civilized for Sunday go to meetin' and hunting.
This will be the first truck I've ever owned that will not be getting a pipe rack! WooHoo!

The old one has 80K original miles on it now.

[Linked Image]

You know it's fast with this bad boy! grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The cool camera! I am so old school I just can't not love this thing.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: pal Re: The Toyota truck threads - 02/04/15
Nice clean one. I love my 2000 Tundra.
Taco Ma?
gas mileage sucks, but they are darn nice rides.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: The Toyota truck threads - 02/04/15
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
gas mileage sucks, but they are darn nice rides.

Yeah, hear that. Towing and such can't beat the old Cummins, but man are they loud. I was ready for a quiet ride, and an automatic since my knees aren't what they used to be. Saw an awesome winch bumper on one today, wheels are turning on that now! smile
Dang thing has a button to disable the side airbags for 4X situations where the slope is extreme! Probly not good to forget to pop that little hummer when in the sticks!
Nice truck Roy!
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: The Toyota truck threads - 02/04/15
Like 'em a lot. May not be as quiet, but a diesel would rock. What kind of mileage do they get?
Posted By: ltppowell Re: The Toyota truck threads - 02/04/15
Originally Posted by Fireball2
The cool camera! I am so old school I just can't not love this thing.

If you use trailers, you'll grow to love it even more.
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Like 'em a lot. May not be as quiet, but a diesel would rock. What kind of mileage do they get?

My 5 speed Cummins gets 17-18 with the right size tires. I tow something every day. Big tires, 13-14. This is an old photo, before new tires and wheels, lumber rack, tool boxes, dents, etc. Wore thru a set of big tires, never again, back to originals for me. Toyota is supposed to do 18-19 mpg, close enough to 17 to call them the same'ish. smile

[Linked Image]
What year HiLux?
1st year of the 5 speed, 1978. Looks like the STEP kid is going to sell it on Craigslist and buy something more modern. frown

He's a fool so no surprise.

Posted By: deflave Re: The Toyota truck threads - 02/04/15
Fireball,

Despite your being stupid, that was a really good purchase.

Travis
KMA.
KMA.

I try and give you a compliment, and that's how you reply?

WWJCD?

Travis
Sorry, you're right. Kiss my rosy red ass. That better?

Your shtick gets old after while.
No it doesn't.

Dave
Posted By: BW Re: The Toyota truck threads - 02/04/15
SWMBO'd (She Who Must Be Obeyed) said she had to have a Tacoma to replace her 2007 Expedition. So we ordered one, sight unseen up from Bellingham Washington.

She fell in love with it, but I had my doubts. Sure it was A Toyota, and that should be all I needed to know, but there were problems.

First off, I don't need a hood scoop on a truck. So I ordered the high optioned model, sans the hood.

What we got was a truck with too many switches for crap I didn't know I needed (and still don't) and crap like side mirror adjustment buttons that aren't mounted on the armrest like most trucks, but rather on the dash panel, low and left of the steering wheel. Plus these switches are not illuminated at night, so good luck finding them among the rest of the crap switches you don't need.

The electric locking rear differential doesn't lock up, despite following the directions in the manual (and the fact I have to read the manual means my man-card is in jeopardy.)

Thing has no balls, despite 4.0 liters of displacement.

It's not that I think Toyota's are bad, but my less optioned 2007 Dodge diesel is better laid out inside.

I'm not sold on Tacoma's anymore.
Posted By: tzone Re: The Toyota truck threads - 02/04/15
That old one is pretty sweet!

Did you dump the Cummins?
If your rear locker doesn't lock, something is wrong with you're rear locker.

Travis
Originally Posted by tzone
That old one is pretty sweet!

Did you dump the Cummins?

No, I still have the Dodge. It's my every day driver. 175 K on it now.

The old Toyota got a Weber carb last year, all new tires, lots of minor repairs to make it ultra reliable. Just in time for the kid to dump it because "It's not worth much". Idiot boy.
Posted By: BW Re: The Toyota truck threads - 02/04/15
Originally Posted by deflave
If your rear locker doesn't lock, something is wrong with you're rear locker.

Travis

Yep. That's the problem.
As I understand the traction system on these trucks, and correct me where I'm off here, the brakes on the wheel that's slipping slow it down and somehow power is transferred to the other wheel. Not sure exactly how that is accomplished, if by limited slip or just brake or ??? Haven't read up on it yet.

No it doesn't.
Dave

I think I'm just bitchy because the kid absolutely hates the old baby. If he had .1 units of a clue he'd be falling down at the Toyota alter on his face to receive such fine machinery as a gift.

I need to let it go.

Posted By: MadMooner Re: The Toyota truck threads - 02/04/15
Tell him to fugg off and just take it back.
No it doesn't.
Dave

I think I'm just bitchy because the kid absolutely hates the old baby. If he had .1 units of a clue he'd be falling down at the Toyota alter on his face to receive such fine machinery as a gift.

I need to let it go.

Wait a minute.... You gave the two-wheeler to somebody and they don't like it? I got a real easy solution to that.

Travis
Posted By: 4ager Re: The Toyota truck threads - 02/04/15
Give me the old 'yota. I guarantee it'd be appreciated.

Tell the kid to f'k off, and if he doesn't like it, you're gladly taking it back.
No need for profanity.

Dave
Yep, my thoughts as well. This is a difficult child, and a complicated situation. His physical condition has set him back a few years in every way, including emotionally. It has been a tough battle, rather than a joyful experience as so many of you guys get with your natural kids.

man when I was growing up a Toyota would have been nirvana. Still is! I love the old trucks.

Posted By: 4ager Re: The Toyota truck threads - 02/04/15
No need for profanity.

Dave

GFY
Yep, my thoughts as well. This is a difficult child, and a complicated situation. His physical condition has set him back a few years in every way, including emotionally. It has been a tough battle, rather than a joyful experience as so many of you guys get with your natural kids.

man when I was growing up a Toyota would have been nirvana. Still is! I love the old trucks.

If it makes you feel any better, I don't get many joyful experiences from my children.

They're quite deceptive. And cunning. And I think my oldest daughter may be a serial killer. She's 7.

Anyway, good luck.

Clark
Originally Posted by 4ager
No need for profanity.

Dave

GFY

JC forgives you.

Travis
I'm with you BW, momma has an 07 laid out like the OP's 4 door short bed

I've got a 99 (had to get it when some lady ran a red and t'boned my 87)

I like my 99 way mo betta than hers, more metal, less plastic, oil filter not upside down etc.

for hauling the camper or snowmmachine trailers I've had very good luck with my 02 GMC, been a good truck, had a 92 before it, just rolled 100100 on it, only replaced a fuel pump on it.

have a danged hard time after the bailout with buying another GM, but danged if they haven't given me good service out of the last two I owned

but think I'll keep the one I have now regardless, but now if I buy a replacement that'll give us 5 trucks, that's too danged many
if you want to do something nice for the boy, buy your truck back for close to what he's asking for it.

let him get some fancy and chrome thing that he's constantly having to fix

some lessons have to be learned the hard way

but a good older Toyota, I wouldn't let that slip outa my hands
Thanks Clark. So touching.
Was it the bloody knives in the dishwasher or the 7 missing 22 LR out of the box of 50 that tipped you off on the daughter?
A friend of mine bought a used Tacoma. I believe it is a 2014 model, extended cab. I am looking for a used midsized 4x4 for hunting and such. He showed me the plastic bed in his vehicle. When did Toyota start using some kind of plastic for the truck beds?
Posted By: Powerguy Re: The Toyota truck threads - 02/22/15
Just cant wrap my head around the virtues of a small rough riding trucks that get poor mileage with respect to their size.

Posted By: JonS Re: The Toyota truck threads - 02/22/15
How much does he want for the older but cooler Toyota. Inquiring minds want to know, as do I.
May have a buyer
Jon
© 24hourcampfire