Home
Posted By: markopolo50 Apple TV gen2???? - 02/04/15
I ran across a guy that was using one of these boxes for movies and such. Are these worth the money? Don't know much about these so any info would help. Also do I need a special tv? Mine do have the hdmi hookup.

Thanks
Posted By: THOMASMAGNUM Re: Apple TV gen2???? - 02/04/15
I have it, and love it. Though I have to say to use it to it's potential you really need to have another apple device be it an iPhone, iPad etc.
All you need is an HDMI compatible tv, and high speed internet. It nice if you have it setup wireless, but it works hard wired.

I stream HBO, Showtime, YouTube, Netflix. There is a lot of content to be had.
Another handy option is airplay... You play content on your iPhone, iPad etc directly to your tv as well.
They're only $100
Posted By: ConradCA Re: Apple TV gen2???? - 02/04/15
So what does Apple TV do?
Posted By: 338Rem Re: Apple TV gen2???? - 02/04/15
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
I have it, and love it. Though I have to say to use it to it's potential you really need to have another apple device be it an iPhone, iPad etc.
All you need is an HDMI compatible tv, and high speed internet. It nice if you have it setup wireless, but it works hard wired.

Another handy option is airplay... You play content on your iPhone, iPad etc directly to your tv as well.
They're only $100

This. I use one also. It is great.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Apple TV gen2???? - 02/04/15
it transfers content from the internet to your TV

You still have to pay all those pesky subscriptions, like to Netflix. HBOGo, Amazon
"I stream HBO, Showtime, YouTube, Netflix. There is a lot of content to be had.
Another handy option is airplay... You play content on your iPhone, iPad etc directly to your tv as well. "

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
it transfers content from the internet to your TV

You still have to pay all those pesky subscriptions, like to Netflix. HBOGo, Amazon

True, but I would rather pay for what I want, than pay for a bunch of sheit I will never watch.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Apple TV gen2???? - 02/04/15
oh I agree 100%. The cable and satellite companies refuse to do 'ala carte' content selection. That is one of the main reasons I quit cable, and went with NetFlix and other content sources.
I had 300+ channels, 90% of which I did not want.
True dat. I had to laugh when I quit cable over a year ago, they asked me why and I explained what is referenced above. So they say ok, where do we send the box to pick up equipment, I tell them and then the woman goes right into another sales pitch to reduce what I am paying for a year and she also throws in a couple of freebies for 3 months. TFF
Posted By: DavePrice Re: Apple TV gen2???? - 02/04/15
Roku does twice as much for less $!
Had Roku, got rid of it.
Posted By: Lorin Re: Apple TV gen2???? - 02/04/15
regardless of which service you use, apple tv will facilitate it. It is especially useful if wanting to use the airplay function of an apple device to send music through your receiver (favorite playlist), or stream a video from internet (directly to the tv), as well as using the DVD on a macbook to show a movie on the tv.
Posted By: pointer Re: Apple TV gen2???? - 02/04/15
I've thought of going with Apple TV, but the one thing I don't want to miss on is live sports coverage. How are you guys watching that?
Posted By: Higginez Re: Apple TV gen2???? - 02/04/15
I did MLB.TV last year and will do it again. Had to pay a proxy server because Giants games are blacked out in my area. NFL is not available yet. I like it. Been almost a year since we killed Dish. I don't miss it. Local stuff on antenna so no big deal there.

One of the really cool things is I can stream music from my home computer to my TV in my reloading room and play it over the stereo all controlled from my iphone. I can literally dj my own BBQ in the backyard with all the music I have on itunes, not just my phone. Pretty darn cool.

We have an Amazon Fire that works fine too and adds more variety but I wouldn't say better. The apple tv can hide behind a wall mounted flat screen and still get signal from the remote, so it's just your TV hanging there. Clean.
Posted By: markopolo50 Re: Apple TV gen2???? - 02/05/15
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM

They're only $100

Guess I am looking at the wrong place, ebay has them for about $200- $250. I do like the size of them and ability to conceal them. Thanks for all the info. Keep it going
Posted By: 338Rem Re: Apple TV gen2???? - 02/05/15
Go to Bestbuy.com. $99.00 plus shipping.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Apple TV gen2???? - 02/05/15
I had a roku and then I found a better alternative
XBMC on a droid box like the Amazon Fire.

Roku has about 300 channels

XBMC has about 3000 from around the world

but ease of use isn't its biggest selling factor.

I'd say in 3 years time, many of us will be streaming live TV via the internet as well as pay channels and cable boxes/satellite TV will be going away.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Apple TV gen2???? - 02/05/15
Sams Club has the apple tv 3rd gen for $92.87, about the cheapest I've seen anywhere.
Posted By: MIVHNTR Re: Apple TV gen2???? - 02/05/15
Roku 3 has over 1000 channels. $89.00 on Amazon Prime. I've had mine for over a year and do not regret dumping cable/satellite tv.
Posted By: ConradCA Re: Apple TV gen2???? - 02/05/15
Did you watch the super bowl on it?
Posted By: markopolo50 Re: Apple TV gen2???? - 02/06/15
Ok, I am just learning about all this internet streaming tv, but the guy told me to make sure I get the second generation untethered, not the third generation.

There must be something to it because the second gen on ebay is alot higher than 3rd gen.
Posted By: MoBassMan Re: Apple TV gen2???? - 02/06/15
I hardly understand most of this. I guess my biggest question is can you record, and skip commercials, like you can with a DVR.

I pay way too much for cable, and watch little of it, but I can no longer deal with commercials.

The other biggie is my STL Cardinals. I get that you can do the MLB.TV, but I enjoy the post-pre-game shows, at times.

Interested, and will be following this thread.

Bob
Posted By: EWY Re: Apple TV gen2???? - 02/06/15
How would I go about finding out what programs I could get?
I want to ditch cable but I would like to be able to get Fox news and some other things.

Ernie
Posted By: pointer Re: Apple TV gen2???? - 02/06/15
Originally Posted by MoBassMan
I hardly understand most of this. I guess my biggest question is can you record, and skip commercials, like you can with a DVR.

I pay way too much for cable, and watch little of it, but I can no longer deal with commercials.

The other biggie is my STL Cardinals. I get that you can do the MLB.TV, but I enjoy the post-pre-game shows, at times.

Bob
You are a man with his TV priorities in order!! I'm thinking strongly of buying an MLB package this year to get more Cards games. My version of FoxMidwest carries Reds games...barf.
Posted By: MoBassMan Re: Apple TV gen2???? - 02/06/15
Originally Posted by pointer

Bob
You are a man with his TV priorities in order!! I'm thinking strongly of buying an MLB package this year to get more Cards games. My version of FoxMidwest carries Reds games...barf.

I feel for you! Not sure about priorities, I've been known to watch 99% of 162 + playoffs.

How do you feel about the Miller/Heyward trade? I like it, because I think Martinez will be a stud someday, and may as well start that process now!
Posted By: pointer Re: Apple TV gen2???? - 02/06/15
Originally Posted by pointer

Bob

I feel for you! Not sure about priorities, I've been known to watch 99% of 162 + playoffs.

How do you feel about the Miller/Heyward trade? I like it, because I think Martinez will be a stud someday, and may as well start that process now!
I'm optimistic, but not a big fan of that deal. Batting .271 with only 11 HRs (his '14 numbers) is not the level of production I'd like to see from an outfielder. IMO you need to hit over .300 or hit 20+ HRs unless you are a perennial Gold Glove candidate in the outfield. Hope Mabry can get him producing a bit better. 'Twer I the GM, I would have left that spot open and let some of the other outfielders/young guys fight for that spot.

I agree on Martinez. He has stupid good stuff. I think he could be real good. I think Kelly was a bigger loss to the staff than Miller.
© 24hourcampfire