Home
This is what can happen when you get too much snow on the plains. Winter of '96. Spring of '97.

The Red River can be a beeatchh.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Floods are terrible, right up there with forest fires. I feel sorry for anyone that has had to deal with either.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I was there. Crazy times to say the least.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
And last but not least. We had this cleaned up and rebuilt within months by everyone pitching in and doing it together.

Meanwhile, in New Orleans after Katrina...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Guessing this is not the red river that forms the OK/TX border. If it is I must have not been paying attention in the late 90's.
Originally Posted by TheKid
Guessing this is not the red river that forms the OK/TX border. If it is I must have not been paying attention in the late 90's.

No sir. This is the Red River that divides a portion of the border of ND and MN. One of the few rivers that runs north. It dumps into Lake Winnipeg in Canada.
I remember that very well, was living in Winnipeg at the time. Was flying into Winnipeg on day as the plane turned south over the City all you could see was water all the way to the border.

Is that pickup truck in the first pic highrail equipped , it appears to be on a railroad track.

CN placed loaded ballast cars on the Bridges south at Morris and East on the Reddit Sub, to help prevent failure.

Flyer
Yes its on a railroad track.
Where was the cut that blew in that bad. Would have liked to see the rotary plow that opened that track.

Flyer
Not sure exactly where that was at.
That winter there was a blizzard every Thursday for quite a stretch of time. It was crazy.
I remember tossing those damn white bags of sand in Wahpeton ND that year. I think the last snow drifts near Ashley ND melted about the end of May or beginning of June....
Originally Posted by bubbajay
I remember tossing those damn white bags of sand in Wahpeton ND that year. I think the last snow drifts near Ashley ND melted about the end of May or beginning of June....

Yup. At least June on the north side of trees. I had no dog in that fight but volunteered to help. Even young guys had major backaches after that ordeal. I remember repeatedly pushing a wheel barrel full of sandbags through a squishy yard until I realized that even at 27 that was a bunch of BS. lol

Happy Birthday by the way Bubba!
The last building they sent us to sandbag had 6 inches of water around it, jumped off the back of a dump truck into water....coooold water. Got back to the dorms and they told us not to shower cuz the sewers were already over capacity, warmed up with a bottle of lord calvert instead.

Thanks for the b'day wish.
Yeah, 97... Isn't that the year that we burned and looted, cried and moaned, blamed the president blamed the world, sat and did nothing?

Oh wait, we were too f'ing busy cleaning up and rebuilding our chit, we didn't have time for looting and such...

I expect the same will be true in the northeast. They will likely be too busy working, won't have much time for blame and hate, looting and crying.
You guys should of been around for the big one!

Blizzard of 1949 Nebraska

Blizzard of 1949 Rapid City

grin
check out the looters, stealing snow by the shovel loads!

[Linked Image]
That got me smiling, ND. Thanks. And yeah, no kidding on certain folks getting busy working and cracking problems, rather than looting, whining and calling for help.

Rooster, those are some amazing, if fearful images. Thanks a bunch for sharing them. Sometimes, it's all about perspective.

Here's a shot from Hokkaido, Japan. We ever get this much, I'm just going to hang up my damn shovel and call it a day. wink

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
That got me smiling, ND. Thanks. And yeah, no kidding on certain folks getting busy working and cracking problems, rather than looting, whining and calling for help.

Rooster, those are some amazing, if fearful images. Thanks a bunch for sharing them. Sometimes, it's all about perspective.

Here's a shot from Hokkaido, Japan. We ever get this much, I'm just going to hang up my damn shovel and call it a day. wink

[Linked Image]

LOL! Yep that's the time to to just crack a beer or mix a drink, shake your head and laugh.

Cool Pic Gari!
super cool.
The unique thing about that flood was the over land flooding. People that lived miles from the river got flooded out. There were pics of cows dying with just their nostrils above the water. Pets were killed. It was a bad deal all the way around.
Originally Posted by Rooster7
And last but not least. We had this cleaned up and rebuilt within months by everyone pitching in and doing it together.

Meanwhile, in New Orleans after Katrina...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That is funny and sad at the same time.
© 24hourcampfire