Home
KC and I are organizing the 2015 Colorado & Surrounding States Gathering. We decided to host it at the same location as the 2013 Gathering. This should provide easy access for those coming from the front range and will be easy to find for those who are driving from points farther away.

There is room for LOTS of rigs, tents and campers. The campsite area is shaded by old-growth Ponderosas. There is a 400+ yard range located adjacent to the camping area.

We'll start a list of attendees and get volunteers for equipment and food as we get closer.

Elevation 8,700 feet

Dates: June 26-28, 2015
Location: Pike National Forest near Tarryall - 52 miles West Of Colorado Springs, CO

Driving Directions:

From Colorado Springs:

Drive approximately 39 miles west on US Hwy 24 to Lake George, then take CO 77 north 13 miles, then southwest on CR 31 approximately 1.5 miles, then left on FR275. Go through barbed wire gate and the campsite is approximately 1,000 yards down FR275 on the right.

From Denver:

Drive approximately 51 miles west from C-470 on US 285 to Jefferson, then left onto CO 77 southeast to Tarryall, then right on on CR 31 approximately 1.5 miles, then left on FR275. Go through barbed wire gate and the campsite is approximately 1,000 yards down FR275 on the right.

From Hartsel (West):

From Hartsel, take US Hwy 24 east approximately 19 miles, then North on Park County Rd 31 approximately 7.5 miles, then right on FR275. Go through barbed wire gate and the campsite is approximately 1,000 yards down FR275 on the right.

Map of Location:

[Linked Image]

Area recreational opportunities:

Extensive ATV trails
Fishing:

Tarryall Creek (approximately 3 miles away) Large creek with some public access points.
South Platte River - 11 Mile Canyon & North of Lake George (10 miles)
"Dream Stream" - Gold Medal Fishery between 11-Mile & Spinney Mountain Reservoirs.
11-mile Reservoir & Spinney Mountain Reservoir (Trout, Northern Pike, Mackinaw, Kokanee)
Tarryall Reservior - Trout and Northern Pike (8 miles)

http://www.coloradodirectory.com/fishing/fishing_elevenmile.html#South_Platte

Pictures from 2013 Gathering at this campsite:

The campsite pre-gathering:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The campfire
[Linked Image]

The shooting range
[Linked Image]

The chow line:

[img]http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww288/KCKeen/24%20Hour%20Campfire/DSCF0025_zps48e40a88.jpg[/img]

We're looking forward to a great Gathering, so Ya'll Come!
Interested Party List:

WyColoCowboy
KC
colodog
AChadwick
The Yetti
Cheyenne
Calhoun
CCCC
supercrewd
mtnsnake

I'll be there, Thanks Gents!
I hope to be able to make it this year. Count me in for now.
Count me in for now, Army may say otherwise but right now I would say its a go!

I've asked Rick to make the thread "sticky".

I'll bring everything that I have in the past. I'll also provide a burrito buffet that will feed the entire group for one dinner.

KC

I think we may actually be able to make it this year! Put us down as a definite 55%.
Updated attendee list.
Please put me down on the interested list. Got plenty of vacation and that should be a quiet time at work.

Though I've been avoiding Colorado since they got stupid with those gun laws. But I'd make an exception to meet some more campfire guys.
When and where?
Originally Posted by gophergunner
When and where?

It's a secret. Do you know the campfire handshake?

[kidding]

June 26-28, 2015, Northwest of Lake George, CO. Details in post #1
You may want to check out the first post.😉
Thanks for doing this - looks great in the pics. I wish, and am hoping, to be with you. Will confirm as soon as some obstacles clear away.
I hope you can come, Paul. Good to meet you last summer. You are a great addition to any gathering.
Beautiful spot. I will try. Any swearing, cigars and whiskey allowed? Kid friendly?
I will probably have to take off from work but it may be possible I could be there. I would love to meet some of the people from the fire.
Originally Posted by supercrewd
Beautiful spot. I will try. Any swearing, cigars and whiskey allowed? Kid friendly?

supercrewd:

Previous gatherings have all been G rated.

Drinking has been minimal. A beer or two at night. Guns are around you know.

If you bring cigars, you have to bring enough for everyone.

KC

All good things in moderation. Good whiskey ain't for chugging. Well, PG-rated at at least. lol
I was at the last one at that location. Adults, kids, and dogs had a great time.
Everyone was relaxed and sober
I may bring my Lab if I do this one.
I'm glad to see that there is gonna be a 2015 version of the Colorado area "24
Hour Campfire" gathering.

My wife and I certainly enjoyed last years get-together up by Gore Pass. Please put Louise and I down for "yes, will attend".

........and a big "Thank you" for the organizers!!

FjLee and Louise........

Denver CO
Updated Interested Party List:

WyColoCowboy
KC
colodog
AChadwick
The Yetti
Cheyenne
Calhoun
CCCC
supercrewd
mtnsnake
Tracks (R)
FjLee & Louise
Might want to add a "R" to my name, I'm not sharp enough for the one on the list. grin
Fixed it... lol
Bumping until RickBin gets it stickied.
ttt
btt
bump
Definitely interested, won't know till closer to event time.

I will be in that area about then, put me on the list. Rio 7
UPDATED interest list

WyColoCowboy
KC
colodog
AChadwick
The Yetti
Cheyenne
Calhoun
CCCC
supercrewd
mtnsnake
Tracks (R)
FjLee & Louise
bcolorado
RIO7
Evening bump
btt

Still waiting for Rick to make this thread sticky. I've sent 2 messages to webmaster.

KC

Is Rick out of town?

??? grin
Bump for Rick to Pin.
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
Bump for Rick to Pin.

Rick's just messing with you. grin
Yep...
If Rick doesn't come back, I get dibs on the website.
ttt
KC - my summer isn't full this year, so add my name to the list.
UPDATED interest list

WyColoCowboy
KC
colodog
AChadwick
The Yetti
Cheyenne
Calhoun
CCCC
supercrewd
mtnsnake
Tracks (R)
FjLee & Louise
bcolorado
RIO7
Creek Warrior

PM'ed Rick.
I'll bring some smaller steel targets for a bit more of a challenge, 8" and 6".
Originally Posted by colodog
I'll bring some smaller steel targets for a bit more of a challenge, 8" and 6".

I like it -- "Kill zone sized steel".

bump
bump
Interested,
will know when closer, like a few weeks before.

If so, I will bring the big tent, wood stove and oven.

There is room in the big tent anyone need a place to toss their bunk.

Again with a big pot of slow-cooked wood-stove chili.

I got a couple new things to try.
28 cup stainless coffee pot, and will build a tripod for it to hang it in the fire.
I would like to try out a new back country communication system. I couldn't imagine better help with that, if I may ask?

Visiting a lot of scrapyards, I will watch for some boiler plate, something else to put way out there to shoot at.

Starting my list now, it sure was a lot of fun in 13 !
Updated for K_Salonek.

We missed you last year Kevin. Hope you can make this year's gathering. I'm planning on bringing my GP small tent as well.

WyColoCowboy
KC
colodog
AChadwick
The Yetti
Cheyenne
Calhoun
CCCC
supercrewd
mtnsnake
Tracks (R)
FjLee & Louise
bcolorado
RIO7
Creek Warrior
K_Salonek

bump
I've got an idea for a fun range game for this year's gathering.

I've got a bag full of old bowling pins. We'll hang 5 pins on a rail at 300-yards, spaced a couple feet apart. Everyone gets 5 shots at a hanging bowling pin. Most hits wins a prize. Tie results in a shoot off. Sudden death- one shot at a time. Hit - you live. Miss- your opponent gets a chance to put you out by shooting your pin.

[Linked Image]

I like it. A little wind could make it challenging.

KC

Yeah - if it's real windy, we could always adjust the range distance.
Sounds fun, will this be off-hand shooting? Or off a wobbly portable bench?
I'll need all the support I can get. I might make KC shoot off-hand since he won the prairie dog shoot last year...

But seriously -- 300 yards at a 6-inch wide target - I'm thinking bipods, wobbly tables, shooting sticks - whatever you want.
Eric - I like it !! Hope I get to be there.
My range is too short to get a 300 yard zero. I'll have to set for 200 meters and try to shoot a bit high.
(getting my excuse ready) grin
Here ya go Tracks. Personally, I find the "I dropped my rifle on my way to the gathering" a good one...

[Linked Image]

I think the dates mentioned for this gathering are the same as the Quemado gathering.
Quemado is end of July so far....
Barring unforeseen developments, the brain trust pretty much decided on July 24th-26th for the Quemado shindig. Of course, the only fully functioning brain (CCCC) was in absentia.
Originally Posted by bcolorado
Quemado is end of July so far....

HA! I missread! June and July are so close together that it is hard for me to tell 'em apart.

You get home ok? I didn't get here till 5:30 today. Long trip and lots of fun.
I've always wanted to do a Quemado gathering. Looks like a good 'un.

Anyone got an idea why Rick hasn't pinned this thread and made it "sticky"? WyColoCowboy and I have both sent PMs.

KC

Did you try inviting him?
Maybe his feelers are hurt, Rick is a sensitive guy and easily offended. grin

I've always wanted to do a Quemado gathering. Looks like a good 'un.

Well then, just do it !
TTT
ttt
bump!
ttt
./
Bump
+
Little early for me to "really" plan...but count me in
Updated list:

WyColoCowboy
KC
colodog
AChadwick
The Yetti
Cheyenne
Calhoun
CCCC
supercrewd
mtnsnake
Tracks (R)
FjLee & Louise
bcolorado
RIO7
Creek Warrior
K_Salonek
TBaker5390
This looks to be a fine event. Hoping and working toward seeing you all.
TTT
ttt
bump
Why the hell can't this be a sticky?
Rick pissed at somebody?
I blame Obama
Change the name to a Hog Hunt
ttt
Originally Posted by CCCC
This looks to be a fine event. Hoping and working toward seeing you all.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hi CCCC/Paul........

Louise and I were glad to see your name on the list.

It'll be good to see you.......and I'll betcha we find some interesting things to chat about.

See you there........

Ta-ta

FjLee and Louise
Looking at getting some hogs from Texas and having a turkey shoot....

Not really, but a sticky would be nice. Next month we're gonna need for people to be able to easily find the thread.
Hi Lee - it would be excellent to enjoy such time with you and the other good folks again. I'm working on it.

Not really, but a sticky would be nice. Next month we're gonna need for people to be able to easily find the thread.

I will try to remember to bounce it once a day.
Bounce
Bounce
up
up
Sticky this thread Please!
up
For those not familiar with the area - here's a few highlights of the area near the Gathering:

Eleven Mile Canyon (day fishing access and camping) - about 15 miles away

[Linked Image]

Eleven Mile reservoir (fishing for Trout, Mackinaw, kokanee and northern pike)

Nice trout from the Canyon ( Not mine!):

[Linked Image]

11-Mile Reservoir (20 miles - Northern, Rainbow, Kokanee, Mackinaw)

[Linked Image]

A Northern pulled from 11-Mile reservoir

[Linked Image]

Tarryall Reservoir (Northern Pike, Rainbow - 8 miles from camp)

[Linked Image]

The Tarryall Range

[Linked Image]

The South Platte River - The Dream Stream

Gold Medal Trout Waters between 11-mile and Spinney Mountain Reservoir. (25 miles)

[img]http://www.intheriffle.com/frontend/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/dream_stream_rainbow.jpg[/img]

Area Aerial:

[img]http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x315/wyodivot/Gathering%20map.jpg[/img]
bump
I just noticed that the RMEF Colorado Rendezvous will be happening the same weekend at Lake George. That's only a few miles away.

If I weren't already committed to a walleye fishing trip it would be a great chance to stop by both events.
The M Lazy C Ranch is only about 7 miles from our campsite. The Walleye can wait...
up
ttt
Lots of snow this weekend. Good news to keep fire bans from messing up the rendezvous.
up
FYI, I just had a week long seminar scheduled that would interfere with my ability to make it that weekend. Unless it falls through I won't be able to make it.
Good with the rain - am enthusiastic about his gathering and planning for a great time with fine folks. Does anyone have enough drag with the head guy to have this thread become a sticky ??
Not yet Paul -- I've Pm'ed a couple of times and so has KC -- You want to give it a try? Maybe RickBin recognizes your gravitas...
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
FYI, I just had a week long seminar scheduled that would interfere with my ability to make it that weekend. Unless it falls through I won't be able to make it.

That's a shame - I was looking forward to meeting up with some of my Wyoming brothers this summer.
bump
to the top

I'm leaving tomorrow and will be gone for a couple of weeks. When I get back let's crank up the activity on this activity and start the final planning.

KC

Sounds good KC. Safe travels.
up

I'm baaack.

The gathering will be held in about five weeks. Time to start talking about gear and food coordination.

I'll be camping in my little travel trailer as usual. I'll also bring a 2-man dome tent so there will be extra sleeping room.

I can bring a 15'x 20' wall tent with wood burner stove. It's a lot easier to setup with three people so could use some help Friday afternoon before the biggest gaggle of people arrive.

Kevin are you coming? How's your back? I sure enjoyed those hot sweet rolls that you baked a couple of years ago.

I can also bring two 2-burner stoves, propane, coolers, tables, pots, pans, heaters, lanterns, a full camp setup, etc.

Paul (CCCC) are you coming? Can you bring the stuff for the prairie dog shoot?

We need a few good sturdy shooting tables.

We can always use extra lanterns and stoves.

Can someone bring a folding canopy?

Each person should bring the following items:
Folding Chair (maybe 2 - there never seems to be enough)
Water (5 gallons - there's no convenient source close)
Snacks (personal & some to share with the group)
Drinks (coffee, cocoa, soft drinks, orange juice, beer, etc.)
Firewood (one bundle or box per person should be enough).
Tent or Trailer
Sleeping Bag & Ground Pad
Firearm of choice for the prairie dog shoot.
Lies err ahh stories for the campfire.

Let's have a pot luck dinner Friday might. Everyone please bring a food item to share with 8 people.

On Saturday morning, I'll cook biscuits & gravy and eggs for the entire group. Is there anyone who wants to offer venison sausage or something similar?

On Saturday evening, I'll offer that burrito bar that I have had at previous gatherings.

We need food and cooks for Sunday morning breakfast.
Any volunteers for that?

There are some pretty good places for 4-wheeling close to the camp.

The closest fishing is in Tarryall Reservoir.

KC

ttt
I just got back tonight from a weekend turkey hunting. No birds but a good time walking in the woods.

I've got a 16-foot GP small tent I plan to bring that has a wood stove in it. It has lots of room so if anyone needs a place to bed down, I'll have extra room.

I'll bring some elk chili for the potluck and can bring breakfast for Sunday morning.
btt
btt

PMs inbound to all interested parties.
Looking good for the family and I making it, not sure if we will be bringing the travel trailer or the tent. Will definitely have something to contribute to the potluck. Wife may want to bring up the Rubicon for some four wheeling!
China Wall Trail is near the campsite - If you like to really test the suspension. You got lockers?
It's a Rubicon, so it has front and rear lockers, 4:1 transfer case, sway bar disconnect, all the good stuff. With the way the weather has been this year, who is bringing the Ark so this shindig can still happen?
Very interested this year. I hope it can work out.
Thanks for doing this guys. KC, especially for your graciousness in bring such food and equipment. I plan to join you all and will try to be there by Friday AM to help KC with any needed setups. May even come a day or so early to chase some of those advertised fish.

For certain will bring something good for the Friday potluck and will be pleased to bring some food for Sunday breakfast and help get that one done. Anyone want to list what we need to bring for that?

Yes, will bring all items needed for the PD shoot - you folks can supply the fun - bring your best 200 yard shooter.

KC, I can probably bring some of the camp equipment stuff needed - just let us know of such needs as the time gets near.

Thanks agai. P

Jon - hope you are coming - would be great to see your grinning mug again, and you will really like these guys and gals. Let's talk.
I should still be able to make it. At the moment just planning on myself in my dome tent if the sucker still works. Bringing the boat is a possibility, will depend on how much time I'll be able to take off.
btt

PMs inbound to all interested parties.

Wife Louise and I are planning on attending.

We’ll supply some devilled eggs, cinnamon/brown sugar French toast, breakfast juice, and Louise sez she’ll bring some of her chips ‘n dip.

We just returned from a South Park multi-day “camp and explore” adventure. Spent some time at the proposed “24HCF gathering” campsite. Nice and flat camp area. Shade if you want it. Very easy to access. BYO firewood. Pretty country. In the area we saw deer and elk. Right in the camp area was a lone turkey track.

The immediate vicinity there, since access is so easy, looks fairly heavily used. We’re wondering if a “Plan B” campsite would be advisable, in case the primary site is already occupied? Maybe even a Plan C?

FjLee

Lee Carkenord and Louise
Originally Posted by fjlee

Wife Louise and I are planning on attending.

The immediate vicinity there, since access is so easy, looks fairly heavily used. We’re wondering if a “Plan B” campsite would be advisable, in case the primary site is already occupied? Maybe even a Plan C?

FjLee

Lee Carkenord and Louise

Lee:

It will be good to see you and Louise again.

I will arrive at the camp area on Thursday afternoon to "take possession" of the site.

KC

FjLee-- Plan B would be just down the same road a 1/4 mile where there is another good group camp site. I've camped up there a few times now, even on a holiday weekend and never had a problem getting that site. Since it is behind a closed gate and a dead-end road, not many folk know about it.

Getting there Thursday will likely lock it up.

Erik
I'm still planning on bringing out a bowling pin shooting rack. We'll come up with a suitable prize for the winner.

Erik
FjLee-- Plan B would be just down the same road a 1/4 mile where there is another good group camp site. I've camped up there a few times now, even on a holiday weekend and never had a problem getting that site. Since it is behind a closed gate and a dead-end road, not many folk know about it.
Geting there Thursday will likely lock it up.
Erik

Hmmmm…….that possibly sounds like the trail going off of FS 275 that’s CURRENTLY marked by a fairly new looking tho heavily vandalized “NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES” sign.

Erik and KC…….in the area under discussion, how CS is the FS enforcement folks about enforcing the “one vehicle length off of designated NFS routes” rule as it pertains to Pike NF “dispersed camping” ?

I’ve had a couple of unhappy discussions with them over in Pike NF South Platte Ranger district.
In my experience, it seems to depend on whether or not the enforcement person is having a good or not so good day!

FjLee Lee Carkenord Denver CO
I'm still planning on bringing out a bowling pin shooting rack. We'll come up with a suitable prize for the winner. Erik
This sounds like fun - which firearms and what distances are involved in this one?
Why isn't Obama being impeached over this lie and cover-up?
Originally Posted by grouseman

Got the wrong thread maybe? grin
So guys, who gave Obama those false dates/location for our event - and why would he be giving out such info anyway? Is he planning to be there? I read that he is very familar with shotguns

Pretty sure he wasn't invited... matter of fact, I'm damn sure he wasn't invited.
I'm still planning on bringing out a bowling pin shooting rack. We'll come up with a suitable prize for the winner. Erik
This sounds like fun - which firearms and what distances are involved in this one?

Rack of five hanging pins. Start at 200 yards, and everybody gets five pins and five cartridges. Most hits advances to next round, then move it out to 300 yards. Repeat. When it gets down to two shooters, then it's sudden death, one pin at a time. If someone misses, the other shooter can take out his pin to win.
As usual, with summer approaching, working is ramping up. But I still plan on attending. I'll probably get there Friday afternoon with our fifth wheel and a few WMD's to enjoy.

Prolly be just me and my dog.
Rack of five hanging pins. Start at 200 yards, and everybody gets five pins and five cartridges. Most hits advances to next round, then move it out to 300 yards. Repeat. When it gets down to two shooters, then it's sudden death, one pin at a time. If someone misses, the other shooter can take out his pin to win.
OK - thanks - this is a good one but will need to practice some to do any good at all. From what position(s) do we shoot?
I was thinking off a table, Paul.

Depending on how many kids show up, this could a fun contest for 22 at a closer distance. It's always fun to see your target move after you hit it. I may not let Hayden (my youngest) play , though. That kid can shoot. He may have to play with the adults... lol
I'll bring one of my rifles and a brick of 22s for the kids.
Originally Posted by Tracks
I'll bring one of my rifles and a brick of 22s for the kids.
Excellent Tracks - thanks - beat me to it. I'll try to bring something compatible to add kid fun.

Erik - thanks for the shooting info.
I'll be bringing a brick and at least two 22s as well.
btt
I'd encourage everyone who is considering attending the event to make an effort.
The last one I attended was great and more people make it even better.
Great bunch of people at the gatherings...well, maybe not me, but the rest are great. grin
I'll try to swing up for a day, like last year.
Always good to see you Don!
btt
I would really like to attend this, but I don't see how I can do it and Quemado too. I am a regular (I guess) at Quemado and maybe the stars will line up so that I can do both, but I doubt it. miles

Getting closer. 3 1/2 weeks away.

Originally Posted by milespatton
I would really like to attend this, but I don't see how I can do it and Quemado too. I am a regular (I guess) at Quemado and maybe the stars will line up so that I can do both, but I doubt it. miles

Yeah Miles, you guess correctly - by just being yourself out here each year you have those of us in the SW thinking of you as a "regular" - although one might opine "large".

The gathering in CO has its own style - a bit different from the one in NM but certainly excellent in itself. These folks in CO are simply first-rate and, if you can make it happen, you will have a fine time with them. It is a challenge, but am doing everything possible to be able to join them in the Pike this year - would be great to see your regular countenance there if you can do it

I will be gone most of next week. I will be chaperoning my grand-son's BSA troop at summer camp. We will leave on Sunday and return on Saturday. Is there anything that I need to do between now and then to prepare for the gathering?

KC

I've been out of town as well. Looking forward to the gathering. Still plenty of rain this summer, so no fire restrictions.
I've been out of town as well. Looking forward to the gathering. Still plenty of rain this summer, so no fire restrictions.

After going thru the closed fence/gate, is our desired campsite the first "established" spot on the RH side, or is it the second established fire-ring spot on the RH side?

GPS coords...??

Tnx folks.......

FjLee & Louise
It's the first spot on the right because the range in on the left after you pass through the gate.

39° 6'4.34"N
105°28'57.48"W

[Linked Image]

Everyone - as usual, crap heats up at work during the summer. Last week our customer moved our CDR from this Th/Fri to next Th/Fri and I can't miss it. I was planning on heading to the gathering with my fifth wheel on Friday morning but with this change, I probably won't get out of work until late evening. I will have to say I'm doubtful at this point.

I'll keep ya posted, sorry.
It's the first spot on the right because the range in on the left after you pass through the gate.

39° 6'4.34"N
105°28'57.48"W

Got it!!
"Thank you" Erik. See ya'll soon.

FjLee and Louise C.
Originally Posted by CreekWarrior
Everyone - as usual, crap heats up at work during the summer. Last week our customer moved our CDR from this Th/Fri to next Th/Fri and I can't miss it. I was planning on heading to the gathering with my fifth wheel on Friday morning but with this change, I probably won't get out of work until late evening. I will have to say I'm doubtful at this point.

I'll keep ya posted, sorry.

The camp has lots of space and you could roll in late Friday and still get two good days in. I know I won't be able to be out there full time until Friday evening. I'm heading out Wednesday or Thursday evening to grab the site and put up a tent. Undesrtand if you can't make it though. You'll be missed.
btt
Got to thinking - Does anyone have a small grill they can bring out?
btt
Next week!
Got to thinking - Does anyone have a small grill they can bring out?

Eric:

I have a small propane grill and will throw it in the box with everything else.

Got back from BSA summer camp this morning. Adolescent boys can really wear you out. Looking forward to a weekend of kickin' back and doin' nuthin' with you guys. I'll start packing on Monday.

KC

I may go out and set up my pop-up on Wednesday - My kids have some extra rehearsals this week due to a performance with the COS Philharmonic on Saturday and it's making my evenings crowded with my wife out of town. Unfortunately my boys are going to miss a big portion of the gathering - ugh. Nice for them to get the opportunity, but bad timing.

How far is this from Bob's place?
At this time I have to work and most likely will not make it. The goods news is I have a daughter coming to visit for 3 weeks which I have not seen for 15 years.
Am doing everything possible to be there - plan is positive so far. Is this location about 9,000 ft. elevation?

Eric - I have been looking forward to seeing your boys (and you) again. Sorry about their short time in camp, but the performance with the symphony has to be a fine opportunity. What piece/composer will they be singing?

Can someone help with comprative info on road types/conditions? The total mileage may be similar, but which route would have fewer steep grades and be less hassle in an old MoHome:

US24 E from S of Buena Vista through Hartsell to CO31 N
or
US24 W from Colo Springs through Lake George to CO31 N ??

Thanks for any data.
Yes, about 9,000 feet. It's been warm, but shade trees are plentiful around the camp.

I'd take US24 through Buena Vista. It's a spectacular drive. both drives have a grade coming out, but nothing like the big passes and both are the a similar length - about 15 miles.

CR31 is a well-graded gravel road. You'll have no problems.

I'm not sure what all they are performing, but it's a patriotic concert, so I would assume "America The Beautiful" and I know they've been working on "God Bless the USA". Hunter is also on the hook to umpire a couple of youth baseball games on Saturday morning.
Originally Posted by shrapnel

You mean the place up in Wyoming where it was held a few years ago?
I may go out and set up my pop-up on Wednesday

Looks like it's kinda hard to say who may get to the campsite first.

To avoid confusion, if Louise and I arrive at the campsite first, and it's unoccupied, I'll erect a small tent and a clothesline. Then I'll erect a plainly visible sign stating "24 HR". Then I'll leave the site for a while.

The sign is so that anyone from the 24 HR group that subseqeuntly arrives will know that it's "US" that have settled there.

KC....Sure, Louise and I will be happy to help with putting up your tent.

See ya'll soon....FjLee and Louise

Prep'd the trailer and shook out the wall tent today. I will continue with other stuff tomorrow.

Talked to CCCC on the phone. He's coming.

KC

Originally Posted by shrapnel

No, I mean Bob's place. I can go if it isn't far from here...

[Linked Image]

No, I mean Bob's place. I can go if it isn't far from here...

[Linked Image]

Several days if you ride your horse.

I'm going to have a lot of stuff in my trailer because I just don't want to take it out.
If there's any need for a wood burning stove or a 12X14 tent it will be there.
I'll be sleeping in my truck.
I've got two six foot folding tables that can be used for shooting, some extra ear protection, a couple of extra chairs, three lanterns and four propane tanks.
I just cut up some scrap wood, a little more than a wheelbarrow full.
Anything else I can bring?
I'm out for sure now. The CDR agenda was finalized today and the review/action item period is scheduled for 4:30 Friday. Who the 'f' has out of town customers in after 5 PM on a Friday? This place gets more stupid every year. I'm thinking the customer big boys must be staying over the weekend to play so they don't have to be at DIA for an early departure.

Sorry guys, I wanted to meet everyone this year. If I feel spunky Saturday morning I may drive down to say hello.

tracks:

I don't think we will need another big tent and mine is twice as big as yours. grin

The shooting tables, ear protection, chairs, lanterns, propane tanks are all useful.

Everyone should bring some firewood.

CU in a couple of days.

KC

Current list of anticipated attendees

WyColoCowboy
KC
colodog
The Yetti
Calhoun
CCCC
supercrewd
Tracks (R)
FjLee & Louise
bcolorado
K_Salonek
TBaker5390

It's going to be a small group this year.

Let me know if I've left anyone out of the list.

KC

We can thank Rick for some of that I'd guess.
Should have been a sticky like the other gatherings get.
I'm trying to get up on saturday. Right now it's looking to work out.

Don:

Hope you can make it. There will be extra room for you to spend the night if you get the urge.

KC

Don, it was good meeting and yakking with you last summer. Hope you can make it.
I'll try for a day trip. Got critters to feed, so can't be gone overnight.

I should be getting to the area approx. 8AM Thursday. If the folks that Eric spoke of have left by then, I'll move into the spot they vacated, erect a small tent, and put out my small cardboard box marked "23 HR". If they're still there, I'll go on down to Eric's trailer and put out my box.

Then I'm gonna leave for a while, and be back later.....maybe noonish.

FjLee & Louise
I'm headed back out this evening to help KC set up the big tent and set up my trailer. I still have to work tomorrow , so I'll be driving home tonight and back out for the weekend Friday night.

Erik
How was it
Originally Posted by huntsonora
How was it

Not many people but quality all the way. I learned a lot from the talk around the campfire and saw some good shooting.
Wish you had been there
If I had known I was going to shoot so poorly in my out of state competition, I would have joined you fellows.
Originally Posted by Tracks
Originally Posted by huntsonora
How was it

Not many people but quality all the way. I learned a lot from the talk around the campfire and saw some good shooting.
Wish you had been there

I would have loved to have gone but I had to go to NM over the weekend.

After a very enjoyable time at the 24hourcampfire gathering, Louise and I headed straight up to South Dakota for another enjoyable time camping in the Black Hills. Saw lottsa whitetail deer there.

Now, Monday, July 6, we are back home in Denver.

The 24hrcamp worked out very well, and was a lot of fun. Weather was great.

Too much good food, lots of interesting guns, and great campfire palaver and companionship.

Louise and I really appreciate the organizational efforts of KC and WyColoCowboy. Tthey made it easy to have a good time! “Thanks, fellas!!”

…….and a special thanks to WyColoCowboy for letting me play with his .270 Short Mag. Tikka. I suspect that I keep edging closer and closer to buying myself a new Tikka………….

Another treat was watching you guys shoot those tiny targets at great distance, and hitting ‘em with shocking regularity! I’m still talking to myself about how easy you made it look!! That’s an aspect of rifle shooting I’ve never dabbled in.

A great time!

FjLee & Louise
Thanks Lee. So sorry I had to drop out at the last minute. Glad you all had such a great time - sure are fine folks.
Thanks Lee. So sorry I had to drop out at the last minute. Glad you all had such a great time - sure are fine folks.

Hi Paul.......
We missed your presence, but everyone spoke well of you!!
I'm sure you did the right thing......gotta take care of yourself. Hope all is going well now.

I guess we'll see you next year, eh? Hope so.

FjLee & Louise
I was just cleaning photos off my phone and found the one picture I took at the gathering.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire