Home
Posted By: seal_billy guns you hate/guns you love - 02/21/15
HATE:
The (new) A5. Why would they even call it an A5? The stock is horrable and the palm swell was shaped for someone with a club hand. Old A5s are awesome, they sure *%$#@* up the new ones.

remington viper .22, is there a worse gun?

Remington SP10, could it have more parts? And could you add a couple of pounds please?

henry survival .22 good lord

benelli vinci. looks like a nerf gun

browning cynergy, not as bad as the vinci but still hideous

Ruger red label, they fit great but friends have them and they are like the ford pinto of o/u.

LOVE:
Benelli SBE M1 Montefeltro

beretta 390/391 and 686s

remington 597

ruger 10/22

marlin 60, levers, bolts

Remington nylons

browning A5s and Citoris

(ITHICA/SKB) o/u. very fond of these

franchi 48

SAVAGE 24, probably my favorite gun.

savage bolts, cheap but good.
You picked some of my favorites,
Benelli SBE
Franchi AL 48 20 Gauge
Remington 700's
Ruger Blackhawks
1911's

love- 1911, mausers, springfields, weatherbys. classics.

hate- mossberg lever action that looks like a movie prop. guns with bolt handles that look like a marital aid. rossi handguns.
Love- Accurate and dependable.

After that, it's only a matter of preference, but I can live with anything that has those two traits.

Hate- Cheap, malfunctioning, and inaccurate. Period.

No matter how good it looks or handles, if it would shoot where you aim, it's less than worthless.
Posted By: jac3k Re: guns you hate/guns you love - 02/21/15
Love-

S&W revolvers
Sako 75
Kimber 84m
Tikka T3
Colt ar15's and 1911's
Remington 870

Hate-
Taurus
Savage
Ruger

I love good walnut, blue steel and just the right amount of gun oil. I hate major components made of plastic or aluminum. I had rather have the ugliest gun ever made than a tennis racket or golf club.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: guns you hate/guns you love - 02/21/15
Love all.
Hate none.
dislike remingtons

Like rugers, marlins and savages
Hate-
Mossberg pumps-seen some work well, many jam

Love-
Ithica 37, must just be me but I think they are the best, and most underrated, field pump

Remington 700, Before they quit locking the bolt closed.

Have a love/hat relationship with most everything else.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nice 88...
hate those I don't have
Love those I do have
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Nice 88...

Yeah, it's my favorite Winchester, but only because of the fast twist. Otherwise, I'd probably be a Savage 99 guy.
Posted By: 21 Re: guns you hate/guns you love - 02/21/15
Love Savage 99's, Ruger #1's, Hate plastic.
.284 ?
Originally Posted by deerstalker
.284 ?

.300 Savage. Sure wish that one was a .284. Too purty to hunt though.
[Linked Image]

Read this^^^^^^

His likes and dislikes pretty much parallel mine.

And I say "dislikes" because I find it a waste of energy to actually "hate" an inanimate object.
Posted By: bea175 Re: guns you hate/guns you love - 02/21/15
I love all guns , just some more than others .
and I even love the cartridge! very NICE!
Originally Posted by 348srfun
I love good walnut, blue steel and just the right amount of gun oil. I hate major components made of plastic or aluminum. I had rather have the ugliest gun ever made than a tennis racket or golf club.

Agreed. My only exception is the 597. The whole trigger group is plastic or "polymer" but its such a great fitting and shooting gun I overlook it. And of course the remington nylons.

When I bought my SBE the SBEIIs were already on the market but didn't like the trigger guard and the comfort tech stock. Just something else to tare up or let water leak into the stock when wading.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
No matter how good it looks or handles, if it would shoot where you aim, it's less than worthless.

huh?
Posted By: iambrb Re: guns you hate/guns you love - 02/21/15
I worked fo a shop that sold Hi-Points and Lorcins back in the day and HATED them. the Hi-Points was $155.50 with tax and one box of PMC 115 FMJ, The Lorcins were 64.95 and otherwise the same box of ammo. As background checks did not exist in the late 80's, it was common to sell a case of 24 each-type handgun per week, and then get around half to 3/4 back the next week. The Hi-points functioned very well, but the bullets usually keyholed, and sometimes flew up to 30 degrees off target (I tested one and personally witnessed this). The Lorcins, if the spring actually had enough hardening to function, would usually only jam about every other mag. Once we convinced the owner to use a hardened spring material, the function rate jumped up to 90%+, but all those versions in camo, pink, and neon grip colors were like putting lipstick on a Pelosi, errr, um...pig, I meant to say PIG (or perhaps I did)
Posted By: mart Re: guns you hate/guns you love - 02/21/15
I don't hate many guns but there are a couple.

Hate;

Browning A-borts, X-borts (hideous to look at)
Benelli - finicky from what I've seen but mostly because of a Benelli carrying prima dona sneering at my classic old doubles in the duck marshes.

Love;

Left handed Winchester model 70's
Classic American and British SxS shotguns
Remington model 8
Remington KS Mountain rifles (left handed of course)
Left handed mini Mausers
Winchester 64's and 71's
Beretta 686's
Sedgley Springfields

Posted By: Mathsr Re: guns you hate/guns you love - 02/21/15
I love:
Winchester model 100 and model 88 in 308 or 284.
Marlin 336 with a straight grip in 35 Rem or 44 mag and no safety
Marlin 39 that is short and doesn't have a safety.
Ruger Gold Label
Browning Pump Shotgun
Ruger 10/22, but only those with walnut stocks.
Remington Model 7 (after all the work to get it right has been done)
Savage 99, (except the models with a removable magazine)

Guns I can't stand:
Any firearm with a beach wood stock.
Any AR 15 If it weren't for the up coming Zombie apocalypse, I wouldn't have one.
Any Savage bolt action.
Originally Posted by Fireball2

[Linked Image]

Very nice.

Production guns I like ergo & visual:
Ruger #1,
77RSI,
rem model 7,
Win 70 short action featherweight
Older model 92 or 94
Browning A5
marlin 39
White (ML)
Ruger single 6
Colt woodsman
Savage 99

Accurate guns

In general, wood/metal and hunting guns with character thats been earned in the field.

Any older 22, including single shot, that has been used to introduce a kid to the sport and supplied them with hours of youthful bliss in the field.

Guns That dont appeal to me:

gaudy engravings
almost everything that has been adorned with RamLine
Safe queens
Almost anything "Tacticool"
BAR (gold trigger an crap lines...UGH)
Blazer and similar
Those that have too much drop at comb
Any rifle wearing "See-Through" scope mounts
New guns that wont hold zero and are inaccurate
Any gun pointed at me.
Any gun in the hands of a facist, communist, terrorist, or Liberal
Something about the Swede 96 / 38 thats just cool to me as well.
Some of Captchee's ML get me goin too
Posted By: 222Rem Re: guns you hate/guns you love - 02/21/15
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
[Linked Image]

Read this^^^^^^

And I say "dislikes" because I find it a waste of energy to actually "hate" an inanimate object.

I just ordered his Sportsman's Library. smile
Originally Posted by 222Rem
[Linked Image]

Read this^^^^^^

Didn't know it existed.
I'll have to look into it.

I have and like (not "love":) a few of his books.
Smart guy with an interesting outlook but probably not for allot of guys since he doesn't see the need to kill every living thing that wears fur or feathers.
Posted By: Teal Re: guns you hate/guns you love - 02/21/15
I don't hate any. There are some I just simply don't hold in high regard at all.

Weatherby Rifles would be on that list. Weatherby anything really. I know, I know, back in the day they were what all the well heeled gliterati hunted with. Just not for me.

I have little love for Glocks, though I own one. It's okay but I don't want another.

Love wise - 1911's in 38 Super, generally dig Rugers and Winchesters.
Posted By: iambrb Re: guns you hate/guns you love - 02/21/15
For the rifles I would have to say it is the Remington 742. Gun worked well if properly maintained, but there were ALOT of these sold at our area K-mart, and either thru not cleaning or generally poor assembly, they would jam.....like alot. As a result, extractor/ejector breakage issues and sticky/corroded gas system issues were very high. I can recall having up to 14 at once sitting and waiting for parts.

I can see issues with the guns having corroded ports, that is the users fault, but quite often, a gun would come in having been newly bought and fired first time out, and with issues. we would take them apart to find very poorly machined parts or properly installed parts. At one point, the local Roses department store chain was paying us to fix the ones returned (customers were unwilling to wait ont he factory). they did that one season, and promptly quit selling those guns after we handed them the bill
Posted By: Tuco Re: guns you hate/guns you love - 02/21/15
At the risk of being branded a heretic, I detest the Ruger 10-22. I'm convinced the 10-22 was designed by and for midgets.

While I'm on the subject, I never really much cared for any Ruger firearm I ever owned or handled: I found them clunky, chunky, and inordinately heavy. Right or wrong, I could never shake the conviction that Rugers are cheaply made. Mind you, Savages are also cheap, but I still find Savages to be superior in terms of value for the dollar.

Anything manufactured by the the old Spanish gunmaker, Llama, was also trash.

Just my two cents.
[Linked Image]

Read this^^^^^^

Didn't know it existed.

Smart guy with an interesting outlook but probably not for allot of guys since he doesn't see the need to kill every living thing that wears fur or feathers.

It's a "collected works" book, so I'm not sure yet how much he actually contributed. The list of stories and authors looked good though.
Posted By: barm Re: guns you hate/guns you love - 02/21/15
First I will say I don't really hate any gun, but there are some I will not spend my money on again.

Remington 700

Remington 870

Remington 722

CZ 527

Weatherby Mark V

Freedom Arms 83/97

Anschutz 64

Glock Handguns

Older Sakos

Marlin 1894

NO MONEY FOR THEM

Browning A-Bolt

Savage 10/12/16/110/112/116

Ruger 77 Mark II/Hawkeye

Handi Rifles/Shotguns

Ruger 10/22

Thompson Center Encore/Contender

Ruger 77/44/22/17

Remington 597

Savage 25

Cooper Rifles

Benelli Autoloading Shotguns

Originally Posted by teal

Love wise - 1911's in 38 Super, generally dig Rugers and Winchesters.

Me too. smile

[Linked Image]
Mathsr,
"I love:
Winchester model 100 and model 88 in 308 or 284"

How is the reliability and accuracy of the Model 100?
I have read several comments of "not so much"

Myron
Roy just want you to know i have already saved $13.00 toward your 38 super! and havnt yet cashed in the pop and Beer cans tho!
[Linked Image]

Read this^^^^^^

Didn't know it existed.

It's a "collected works" book, so I'm not sure yet how much he actually contributed. The list of stories and authors looked good though.

Just ordered it along with Querencia.
Haven't read anything of his in quite a while.
The last few books I've read have been a rehash of the white man's treatment of the redman (Navaho and Nez Perce in particular) frown so I could use a change of pace.
I almost ordered Querencia, but Spring appears to be way ahead of schedule this year and I didn't think I could tackle more than I've already got waiting for me. Please share your opinion of it though........the reviews were good.
Will do.
I've got a couple in front of it so it might be a while.
I well understand that. Amazon is dangerous. blush
LOVES:

Benelli Shotguns

Beretta Shotguns

Win. 101

Win.70

Glock

Sig p226

Browning Citoris

Smith revolvers

t/c Encore rifles

Ruger Bisleys

REM. 760/7600

HATES
rugerP series handguns

Posted By: Mathsr Re: guns you hate/guns you love - 02/21/15
Myron, They are probably like most rifles. You can find a good one and you can find a bad one. People complain about the triggers, but the ones I have on the 100's as well as my 88 are not too bad. If you are looking for a less than minute of angle rifle, look somewhere else. My 100's (one in 308 and one in 284) will do 1.5" groups @ 110 yards with no problem, with an occasional group around 2" if I'm not paying attention. My 88 Winchester (308) is a reliable 1.5" rifle with enough under 1" to keep me interested in leaving it alone. When I bought it 25 or 30 years ago, I had plans on converting it to a 338/08 (now a 338 Fed). I made the mistake of shooting it first and it is still a 308. All three of my Winchesters shoot much better than my last three Remington Model 700/Model 7 bolt actions did before I had them worked on and the Winchesters look better too

I haven't had any reliability problems with them at all. The 284 ammo is kind of hard to find, so I hunt ammo and cases as well as deer for this one.

You don't want to try to disassemble the Winchester 100 unless you know what you are doing. It isn't difficult to do but it helps to see someone do it first and there are many videos on you-tube showing what to watch out for. I would imagine many of the problems people speak of with this model were caused by someone trying to disassemble it without following proper procedures. It can really screw the rifle up.

I guess what makes me like them so much is the way they look and handle. They shoot great for what I want them, which is deer hunting and I wouldn't hesitate to take any of them after elk if I had the chance.
Hate - semi-automatic firearms that don't work semi-automatically out of the box. Why should I have to buy & shoot 500 rounds of expensive, hard to find ammo for "break in" when the mfr was too sloppy to make critical surfaces smooth?

Hate - centerfire rifles that have rough POS barrels. If Ruger can put good barrels on $400 Americans, there's no excuse for a $1000+ rifle with a bad barrel.

Everything else, I can deal with smile
Mathsr,
Thanks for the info !
1.5" would be acceptable. What I would really love to have would be the Model 100 in a .243 and in carbine length. Not too many of those made but I would guess accuracy might suffer a bit with the barrel band on that model.
Someone had one for sale here in the classifieds a while back, but they are a bit rich for my budget, and I really don't know how much I would even use it. Just wishful thinking at this point.

Myron
700's
I can't stand Winchester 88's because they remind me of Winchester 100's.
Originally Posted by seal_billy
HATE:
The (new) A5. Why would they even call it an A5? The stock is horrable and the palm swell was shaped for someone with a club hand. Old A5s are awesome, they sure *%$#@* up the new ones.

remington viper .22, is there a worse gun?

Remington SP10, could it have more parts? And could you add a couple of pounds please?

henry survival .22 good lord

benelli vinci. looks like a nerf gun

browning cynergy, not as bad as the vinci but still hideous

Ruger red label, they fit great but friends have them and they are like the ford pinto of o/u.

LOVE:
Benelli SBE M1 Montefeltro

beretta 390/391 and 686s

remington 597

ruger 10/22

marlin 60, levers, bolts

Remington nylons

browning A5s and Citoris

(ITHICA/SKB) o/u. very fond of these

franchi 48

SAVAGE 24, probably my favorite gun.

savage bolts, cheap but good.

I could agree with a lot of what you say, except for Ruger Red Labels being "the Ford Pinto of o/u's" I have had one since the mid '80's and it has never let me down. For a few years it was the only shotgun I used. I shot thousands of rounds through it at skeet, trap, sporting clays and hunted birds, waterfowl and turkey with it. The gun never let me down, always worked like a charm and I can hit with it better than any gun I ever owned.
Love:

Most any good 1911, especially Lightweight Commanders in .45acp & 38 Super

Just about ANY S&W Revolver. Especially N & K frames.

Colt SAA in any caliber.

Any Ruger Single Action, especially Flattops & Bisleys's. Also old model Ruger Security Six and Redhawk revolvers.

My Glock 32 in 357sig and My Glock 20 in 10mm. I absolutely HATED Glocks when they first came out and swore I would NEVER own one!

Winchester Featherweight Model 70. My favorite is my 7x57

Remington Model 700 Classics. I collect them. Any Remington 788. Also love the KS Alaskan 700 Models

Any Winchester Lever Action Rifle.

Remington Nylon .22's and Marlin Model 60 in .22

Most any quality S/S shotgun.

Remington 870, 1100's Ithaca 37, Winchester Model 12 and 42 shotguns

AR-15's in the standard M-4 variation. M-1 Garrands. British Enfields in .303

Hate:

AK-47

FN-FAL

Ruger Mini-14's

ANY Taurus Handgun ever made!

Hi-points, Lorcins's and any cheap ass pot metal POS handgun.

Benelli Nova Shotguns

O/U Shotguns. I love the way they look, but for the life of me, I can't hit chit with an O/U.

Any bullpup type rifle.

Love FN Mausers, older Remington 700s, and Savage 99s
I love my:
Franz Sodia 348 win O/U
Winchester 21 12 ga,
Tikka 308 after shooting a .4 inch group this afternoon
Pre safety Marlins
and I never met a Ruger I didn't like

Never had a gun I actually hated, but then again I wasn't
brought up to pay money for things I didn't like.
Hate:

Short barrel AR-15/AR-10's next to me at the range.
Anything to the left of me that pelts me with brass.

Like:

Anything that slings brass out the right, to the right of me at the range.
Yeah those Savage 99's are one god awful abomination aren't they? Better give 'em all to me to prevent other's misery.
Like-
Savage Model 99
Custom Mauser 98's
Hi-Standard 22 pistols
A good Colt 1911 A-1
Model 12

Hate-
Winchester Model 88 and Model 100
Remington Jam-a-matics (A.K.A.) the Minnesota Machine Gun)
Raven Arms
Hi-Point
Jennings
Lorcin
Like (not love) most anything that shoots.

Would not buy a Glock. I believe they are exceptional guns, but they don't fit my hand (I couldn't hit a #2 washtub at 15 yards with a Glock)
"The Warden" however, qualified for her CCW with a borrowed 45 ACP Glock at 97%
HATE/ The one being pointed at me.
LOVE/ The one I just shot the pointer with. GW
Hate- Ithaca 88 single shot 12ga.
Since the order of the question is hate, then love.

My answer is:

Glock, Glock.

If the question was love, hate...

Different.... But the hate is still Glock.

Lol!
Posted By: 700LH Re: guns you hate/guns you love - 02/22/15
I love a lot of guns I see and hold, but sure hate that I can't afford them all.

Glock seems to me to be like that old saying,
"if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, take a ugly girl for a wife"
as fellas that own em sure seem to like em, but, gad all mighty, are they ugly.
Don't have much use for pistols.
I have found love for Sharps 74's, Marlin 94's in 44 Mag, Ruger revolvers and 77 MkII's & S&W J frames all of my own accord. I also love the guns that were owned by departed relatives that meant more to me than any wood & steel contraption ever could. Dad's Win 71, Ruger auto 44 and Sweet 16. My grandfather's Savage 99F and Sporterized 03 Springfield. I have hated very few guns though. Only a Henry 22 survival rifle comes to mind.
Posted By: Idared Re: guns you hate/guns you love - 02/23/15
Don't actually love anything but do especially Like:

Winchester 70
Winchester 71
Winchester 94
Marlin 336
Browning 22 LR auto rifle
Fox Sterlingworth shotguns
Colt Python
S&W Double action revolvers
Glocks

Don't really hate anything but don't especially care for:

Savage 99
Savage 110 type rifles
Remington 700
Remington 788
Remington Nylon 66
Ruger 10-22
Harrington & Richardson revolvers
Ruger auto pistols

Don't really "hate" any of them, don't particularly care for AR type rifles or anything in a cheap plastic stock. LOVE anything that combines nice walnut and MOA accuracy.
© 24hourcampfire