Home
I have friends visiting from Great Yarmouth, UK, they are very kind to me, and I find myself spending a lot of time with them when I am in the UK. This afternoon we will be having a small gathering of family and friends in honour of their visit. I would like to offer up some refreshments that would be a bit more intriguing than the usual. Could any of you gentlemen recommend any beers, wines, or liquors that would suit the bill ? Darren likes a good strong beer, and he does like scotch. Grace is more of a wine lady. Everyone else likes a little bit of everything.

Thank you in advance,

Lynn
When you say he likes scotch, that's about like saying he likes beer. Does he like heavy, peaty scotch? Light? Salty? There's a million different flavor combinations. I like Lagavulin, but for many it's too peaty. Yamazaki is excellent as well, but there are a lot of really good scotchs out there.

Good strong beer: again, there are a lot of options.

Wine: white or red?
For a great white wine you can't go wrong with this
http://www.drfrankwines.com/

[Linked Image]
Sam Adams has a great variety of Micro Brews to offer, some of the U.S. 's best. As far as Scotch goes, I would obtain some of our "better Bourbon's from Kentucky. These are items they would not readily obtain in the UK.
Beer- like Barbarosa said, Samuel Adams is a good choice or any good amber ale would be like they are used to drinking back home. Get a bottle of Wild Turkey, it's an excellent bourbon especially for the price. They might find it a nice change from scotch. If she likes red wine maybe a RED zinfandel, if white chardonnay from Napa or Sonoma. Heres to the Queen.
Couple cases of Milwaukee's Best Light, a few bottles of Boone's Farm and a jug of Black Velvet should do the trick. wink

Originally Posted by LostHighway
Beer- like Barbarosa said, Samuel Adams is a good choice or any good amber ale would be like they are used to drinking back home. Get a bottle of Wild Turkey, it's an excellent bourbon especially for the price. They might find it a nice change from scotch. If she likes red wine maybe a RED zinfandel, if white chardonnay from Napa or Sonoma. Heres to the Queen.

I'd skip the Turkey and go for Booker's or Blanton's, but bourbon ain't scotch.
Miss Lynn;
Top of the morning to you, hopefully this finds you and yours doing acceptably well and surviving the winter - if you're not on the southern side of the medicine line.

Speaking of which, if you're meeting with these folks on the northern side I might have a couple suggestions of Canadian products to try out, but if you're in your southern home then I'm sorry that I'm not aware of what might be available there.

Anyway and either way, all the best to you and yours this weekend.

Dwayne
The best advice I can give you is that the devil resides in the bottom of each bottle.

Travis
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn
Everyone else likes a little bit of everything.
Thank you in advance,
Lynn

As previously suggested a good bourbon may be a treat for them. A bourbon thread was recently put up here that may help. I'm assuming of course that they are available to you.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/9546042/

Pull Darren aside and inquire about Grace's taste preference then do the same with Grace.

Enjoy your time with your guests, ML.
BYOB.
Try mixing a bit of ginger ale or ginger beer with a blended scotch. Easy to adjust strength to varying tastes and puts an interesting spin on scotch. This should be actually trialed before discounting the idea.
While you can use single malts this way, they seem best on their own with water on the side.
We've had an explosion in micro breweries around here, some are making excellent beers. Labatts has a bourbon barrel aged beer on the market that is a good one.
Also agree with the Dr Frank Reisling as a good choice for a white.
Posted By: byc Re: Beer, wine, liquor, help...... - 02/22/15
Beer-Wheated Beers. Whole Foods has a great selection and you can buy individual bottles.

Vodka - Tito's or Grey Goose

Bourbon - As 4 suggested Blantons is an excellent choice and has a very classy bottle for the memories. Also a registered small batch and numbered as such.

Wine - The idea of a spicy red zinfandel and a white riesling are appealing.

Scotch - Sorry I can't help you here.

My screen says you posted at 10:59 AM. You're talking late afternoon, I hope.
anything from sam adams or sierra nevada will suffice even the biggest beer snob on the planet. they are the LBD of good beer.
Belinda and her friend really like New Age Muscato. Gazela vinho verde and vinho verde rose are a nice crisp but not too dry wine. When in Canada, drink a good Canadian whiskey!!! I always did. wink
+100 on the Tito's Vodka
Tito's is belly wash.

Go top shelf with the goose or ketel one..
They're coming to visit YOU, dear Lady, not to drink.

If the Scotch drinker turns down Chivas Regal as not being worthy of him, I'd be awfully surprised at your choice of friends. I'm betting he'll brag on it.

Not because it's a perfect scotch, but because you're a great hostess.
Goose and Kettle are good but I'll take Tito's over both and Vodka is all I drink
[Linked Image]
I'd humbly suggest a local "rye", Forty Creek Barrel Select.
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Goose and Kettle are good but I'll take Tito's over both and Vodka is all I drink

Gross. You might as well be into plastic bottles at this point. Try some Popov..
When I really want to impress I summon the butler to bring out a bottle of Lewis and Clark...
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Go top shelf with the goose or ketel one..

Both decent, but if you want to try something that's even better, go with Ciroc... it's about the only truly unique Vodka out there, being made with grapes rather than grains, potatoes, etc.

Unflavored, of course...
Peach or vanilla flavored Smirnoff is pretty good as well.
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Your wife has had a real impact on you Sammer!
We all know popov is well crap, you just can't admit Texas now has the best vodka

http://vodka.underthelabel.com/compare/140-141-427/Grey-Goose-vs-Ketel-One-vs-Tito-s-Handmade
supa fly
If there is such a thing as a "sippin' beer" this is it:

[Linked Image]
You're not going to go wrong with a decent bottle of Macallan, Glenmorangie, or other highland malt. A cask strength bourbon would be cool. Throw in a bottle of Pimms for the Queen.

As BYC suggested, I'd hit a decent shop and put a couple mixed 6 packs together. Ridiculous amount of great beer available. A few big malty beers, a couple hefes or wits, a few big West Coast IPA's, and a few English style bitters or pales.

A cab or zin and a Pinot Gris, WA or CA sourced, for wine.

Get hammered, take photos.
Originally Posted by Brad

Brad, I was kidding, c'mon man give me a little more credit than that....grin

Supa Fly for the win!

[Linked Image]

And no, don't have to worry about the wife dipping into that stash.

She sticks with the vino.
+100 on the Tito's Vodka

I will never understand why people think that is good vodka.

Travis
I bought tamales from a fella named Tito once.

They were delicious.
Taste and value rolled into one
If I were you guest Miss Lynn, you would not need to "Put on the dog", for me.
I'm sure you are a gracious hostess.

Everyday folks is what I like. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[quote=wabigoon]If I were you guest Miss Lynn, you would not need to "Put on the dog", for me.
I'm sure you are a gracious hostess.

Everyday folks is what I like. [Linked Image]

Does Lynn know you posted her picture?
Stay tuned, we may,--- learn.

Chit tastes like goof off.
Originally Posted by deflave
+100 on the Tito's Vodka

Travis

He's from new yawk. They think ketchup is salsa.
+100 on the Tito's Vodka

Travis

Said the guy from CA where they think Spooge is salad dressing.

Brad, I was kidding, c'mon man give me a little more credit than that....grin

Supa Fly for the win!

[Linked Image]

And no, don't have to worry about the wife dipping into that stash.

She sticks with the vino.

Ha!

Paint thinner, aka Rez Juice.
I wouldn't let the locals anywhere near that jar.

It would get western in a hurry!
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
+100 on the Tito's Vodka

Travis

Said the guy from CA where they think Spooge is salad dressing.

I don't even know what that means.

Nice pic of the dog's ass on your avatar. How long have you been married to her?
I think he's talking about Ranch dressing.

I don't know if it's from California or not, but somebody owes the world an apology for that chit.
That would be Texass.

Damn, ain't that the truth.

Wish I'd gotten to know your Mrs. better... she and I could cuss and discuss good CA wines... it might even rub off on you! laugh
Posted By: EdM Re: Beer, wine, liquor, help...... - 02/22/15
There is only one vodka. I lived off of it in Kazakhstan.
as gin was hard to find.

[Linked Image]

Peasant.

Travis

Damn, ain't that the truth.

Wish I'd gotten to know your Mrs. better... she and I could cuss and discuss good CA wines... it might even rub off on you! laugh

Brad, she pretty much sticks with a merlot. I pretty much stick with whiskey or cheap beer!
Guess that makes me a peasant as well. At least I'm in good company! grin
I think this thread will still be hotly going on, when Miss Lynn's guests have finished the treats.
I'm running low

[Linked Image]
Gluten free?
Tito's Handmade Vodka is distilled from 100% corn and is certified GLUTEN-FREE.
Doesn't that mean it's full of gay?
Tito's Greyhound

Ingredients:
1.5 oz of Tito's Handmade Vodka
Fresh grapefruit juice
Method:
Pour Tito's Handmade Vodka over ice, a splash of fresh squeezed grapefruit juice. Enjoy!
Corn and distilled 6 times are the big differences. Goose is a wheated spirit. Not sure what KO is made from.

Did not know there was a vodka made from grapes until this thread.

Heck, I like them all. Even Costco makes a good vodka. Rumored to be Goose but I challenge that.
Doesn't that mean it's full of gay?

Does that mean Dan is turning? eek And with an upcoming hog hunt!? Oh my!
Stoli is good enough for me, not bad for a chilled shot, super smooth mixed with anything.

Ketel One, Tanqueray, Goose. Haven't bought a bottle of vodka in years though.
Maybe this is my idea of being gay from last night while drinking Tito's

[Linked Image]

if,-----one of us, were,-----to be,---- a---- joker,-----?
hmmmmm....what's she doing with her right hand? I see white nail polish! wink

Poor Lynn! cry
Sorry gents, the internet service went down, so we are going to read the suggestions and go out tomorrow and purchase some of them. I apologize, I have not been ignoring your replies, just unable to get to them.
Yeah, yeah! I think you've already been out and got hammered on our wonderful suggestions!! whistle
Miss Lynn, as far as wines go, you have sweet or spicy that come in red and white. It depends on what type of food your eating. Wine is used to cleanse the palette. My go to wine is cabernet Washington. I like spicy over fruity though.

Example:pasta with marinara meat sauce with a red
Originally Posted by byc
Yeah, yeah! I think you've already been out and got hammered on our wonderful suggestions!! whistle

I have no plans to drink any of it actually.
Originally Posted by byc

I have no plans to drink any of it actually.

Well you know....that I knew that already. smile
Originally Posted by NMLady
Miss Lynn, as far as wines go, you have sweet or spicy that come in red and white. It depends on what type of food your eating. Wine is used to cleanse the palette. My go to wine is cabernet Washington. I like spicy over fruity though.

Example:pasta with marinara meat sauce with a red

I/we are going to cook a standing rib roast, and all the trimmings of the meal including Yorkshire Pudding and Trifle for dessert.
You likely want a red then not the Riesling I suggested
I really truly just want them to taste something different. Something you folks might recommend. They are here until March 7th, when we will all be going back together.
This will pair well

[Linked Image]
Tito's Handmade Vodka is distilled from 100% corn

Too cheap to use a good grain but then it's a vodka stripped of flavor.

Distilled 6 times is flaunted as something good. Multiple distillations strip flavor but then it's a vodka.Might as well ferment a pair of socks.

Notice a beginning pattern ?
I really truly just want them to taste something different.

Private stock. wink laugh

[Linked Image]
Present them with local spirits. Show your visitors what your region has to offer. They can get the best of the US anytime online.
For a great white wine you can't go wrong with this
http://www.drfrankwines.com/

[Linked Image]

I'll second that. One advantage of moving down here from up north is the great number of wineries within a short drive.
Originally Posted by Lockhart
Present them with local spirits. Show your visitors what your region has to offer. They can get the best of the US anytime online.

Good suggestion. Canada grows a huge amount of grain. Bound to be some top shelf up there somewhere.
Brad, she pretty much sticks with a merlot. I pretty much stick with whiskey or cheap beer!

Hey, nothing wrong with Merlot... the Pinot-Snob movie "Sideways" (I am not drinking f-ucking Merlot!) tried to snub Merlot, but good wine is good wine no matter the varietal.

And I'll drink Whiskey or Beer too! laugh

Ok, no Lager's tho...
Posted By: byc Re: Beer, wine, liquor, help...... - 02/23/15
Hey!

Based on your menu a red zinfandel or cab for sure. The zin will be spicier and my preference.

Wheated beers with a diverse branding if possible.

A good bourbon like Blantons and a scotch as suggested by others.

For dessert perhaps a nice port or after dinner liqueur.

Are you in Canada or the US? If you want we will all pitch in and have Dan will get dressed up and be your waiter!! grin
Last time I did a standing rib roast the wine was a Barolo....nice.

The scotch that will please anyone is plain old Glenlivet 12 year old.

Too many beers to suggest anything because it's a regional thing. Cant' go wrong with Shiner Bock for a somewhat sweet malty beer, Bass is still a great pale ale, but again, too many and too regional to know...
Canada, not in the US till I get back from the UK, then down to WV, and NC, then down to AL.

I am not that many hours away from Dan. I am only 20 minutes from the NY State Border.

Are you and Dan meeting up later?
Ace Adair, that sly dog.
I am a dunce on Quebec wines.
Ontario produces some good wine, I'd say give the guests a sample of local wine, or sprit.
Something not available everywhere.

Course, if you want to be snotty, Dwayne's back yard in BC is noted for fine,$$$$$ wine.
Happy to help any time Miss Lynn
Happy to help any time Miss Lynn

We are making your meatball recipe for them, a good Italian night. Any special Italian wine you would recommend ?
This will pair nicely with the meatballs

[Linked Image]
This will pair well

[Linked Image]

She's trying to make her guests happy, not piss them off... grin
It's actually a great wine,seriously
Well I've had it, it's ok table wine I guess. But wine is like anything, "if it's good to you, it's good."

I do hear NY (Finger Lakes and Long Island) has terrific Riesling's. I have never had NY wines, but I do intend on correcting that...!
This will pair nicely with the meatballs

[Linked Image]

I checked and they sell it at the SAQ, so I will go tomorrow and get a few bottles. Thank you ! smile

http://www.saq.com/page/en/saqcom/red-wine/beni-di-batasiolo-barbera-dalba-sovrana-2011/10856751
Good deal!
I do hope we were able to assist and that you will forgive our attempts to make you laugh in your time of need!! wink

We can still pick you up for the roadtrip no matter what the grumpy old man in Wyoming says.

Me
I read that, and I wonder....
For all the fun, and games, you will treat the guests well, I am sure.

And, "Better a dinner of herbs, where love is--."
Originally Posted by byc
I do hope we were able to assist and that you will forgive our attempts to make you laugh in your time of need!! wink

We can still pick you up for the roadtrip no matter what the grumpy old man in Wyoming says.

Me

There will be fartin', belchin' cigar smoke,good bourbon and possibly smelly socks hanging off the rear view mirror as well as country moosic in the eight track.

I call shotgun !!!!
Originally Posted by ConradCA
[Linked Image]

I hadn't heard Hillary passed away. So they decided on Cremation???
Miss Lynn, for your whiskey drinking friend may I suggest these...not scotch but VERY good. The Midsummer Nights Dram is incredibly smooth one of the best I've ever had but can be hard to find and Booker's well...it can be a bit rough, but it has exceptional flavor...

[Linked Image]
Make them shandys
Denny, Denny, Denny...what makes you think a female panty party is any different?? whistle
Well, if we get stood up, think on the energy we will save not holdin' our bellies in. The best we can,-- that is.
Ace Adair, that sly dog.

Hope she likes boredom.

Travis
Posted By: RWE Re: Beer, wine, liquor, help...... - 02/23/15
The best advice I can give you is that the devil resides in the bottom of each bottle.

Travis

that's tequila.
© 24hourcampfire