Home
Posted By: Oldman03 Trapping Week #6 - 02/23/15
This week started out with a 'bang' and ended with a 'bigger bang'. Had trouble in the middle of the week.

Caught more this week than ever before, but not all was good catches. Several possums, a couple of coons, crows, buzzards, skunk, you name it and I think we caught it.

Middle of the week, I lost my 4-wheeler key. I bought the used 4-wheeler about 20 yrs ago and only got 1 key. Well, I lost the key this week, so my son has been running most of the traps. Got a new ingnition switch assy. ordered and it should be in middle of this week.

Today, son ran up on a trap, on his 4-wheeler, without looking (it was raining and he was in a hurry). He said he could see the ground tore up, but still drove right up to the trap. Out from behind a tree came a skunk and 'nailed him'. I laughed till I hurt, when he came back to get my .22 to dispose of the skunk. Luckily it was cold and he had on layers of clothes, a full insulated face/head mask, carhart jacket, leather gloves, and rubber boots. The clothes smell to 'high heaven', but he is fine.

Anyway, here is the good catches this week

Fox #3

[Linked Image]

Fox #4

[Linked Image]

Coyote #10

[Linked Image]

Bobcat #3

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: Trapping Week #6 - 02/23/15
Those coyotes always look so ashamed...
Posted By: coyotewacker Re: Trapping Week #6 - 02/23/15
Your pretty good at tying up those coyotes....might call you when I catch a wolf up here, you can show me how to do it.....LOL
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: Trapping Week #6 - 02/23/15
Where're the skunk pics?!?!?!?
Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: Trapping Week #6 - 02/23/15
Can you post a video of someone taking the tape OFF the yote?
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Trapping Week #6 - 02/23/15
Nice haul Randy, the skunk story is priceless, tell stinky I said hi. grin

I like following these threads, thanks for posting.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Trapping Week #6 - 02/23/15
crows and buzzards? exposed baits with traps on them?
Posted By: Jocko_Slugshot Re: Trapping Week #6 - 02/23/15
Great post, thanks.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Trapping Week #6 - 02/23/15
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver

Believe it or not, we made 2 videos of me taping up a yote. The first one, the video was bad, finger in the way. The second one was taken with sons phone and it wouldnt load on my computer. When we did find a program to load the vid, it had skips in it, so we deleted it and will try again.

Sorry. It would help if I was more puter savvy!
Originally Posted by huntsman22
crows and buzzards? exposed baits with traps on them?

Yeah, in La. its ok to use just about anything for bait. You have to put the carcasses in a dense thicket or cover them with leaves, etc.; and then the buzzards and crows will still find them, sometimes.

Originally Posted by coyotewacker
Your pretty good at tying up those coyotes....might call you when I catch a wolf up here, you can show me how to do it.....LOL

I saw the pic of the 90 lb. lab, standing next to the wolf, and the wolf dwarfed the lab.

Think I'll pass... but, thanks anyway. grin

Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Trapping Week #6 - 02/23/15
What trap did you use on Fox #4?
Posted By: twofish Re: Trapping Week #6 - 02/23/15
Coyote does not look ashamed to me. He looks pissed...
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Trapping Week #6 - 02/23/15
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver

Believe it or not, we made 2 videos of me taping up a yote. The first one, the video was bad, finger in the way. The second one was taken with sons phone and it wouldnt load on my computer. When we did find a program to load the vid, it had skips in it, so we deleted it and will try again.

Sorry. It would help if I was more puter savvy!
if he has a smart phone it can be uploaded directly to you tube.
Posted By: coyotewacker Re: Trapping Week #6 - 02/23/15
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Originally Posted by coyotewacker

I saw the pic of the 90 lb. lab, standing next to the wolf, and the wolf dwarfed the lab.

Think I'll pass... but, thanks anyway. grin

Several years ago when the wolves were on the endangered species list, I caught 3 wolves in one night. Called the DNR to come release them. When they came it was 2 officers and a biologist, it was like the three stooges. Wish I had a video camera...LOL
Posted By: RS308MX Re: Trapping Week #6 - 02/23/15
Very nice! I like your posts. It sure seems strange seeing ground with no snow on it! smile
Posted By: shootem Re: Trapping Week #6 - 02/23/15
OK, I missed the previous episodes. Can you tell once again why you take the coyotes alive? Thx
He sells them to dog running pens in his state, so they can train dogs on live animals.
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
What trap did you use on Fox #4?

I'm not exactly sure what caught the foxes. I have some #3 OS 4 coiled Bridgers, some #3 rubber jaw Victors, and some #4 OS laminated Pioneers. It could have been any one of them.

About the only time I get choosy is when I'm after a beaver. I wont use a rubber jaw trap on them, they dont hold them as good as the others.

Those are gray foxes and a 1.5 or 2 would hold them. Its just that they were caught where I was attempting to catch a bobcat and the larger traps work better on the cats.

It shows why I will not use a large offset trap on a smaller animal like a fox. Offsets cause unnecessary damage.
Posted By: KSMITH Re: Trapping Week #6 - 02/24/15
What I would give to know what was running through the coyotes mind when that picture was took.

Kinda like "you azzhole"
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Trapping Week #6 - 02/24/15
Coyotes don't think. They aren't human.
Posted By: speedsixman Re: Trapping Week #6 - 02/24/15
"Coyotes don't think. They aren't human."

You sayin 'yotes are all democraps?

Myron
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Trapping Week #6 - 02/24/15
For certain. I never said they didn't vote! Even the dead ones!
© 24hourcampfire