Home
Posted By: mudhen Big Storm in Arizona - 02/24/15
You boys be careful out there...

[Linked Image]

laugh laugh laugh
That storm is supposed to give us 1 to 4 inches of snow early Wed. morning. DFW area.
Then go East to Miles P house. cool
Originally Posted by Wtxj
That storm is supposed to give us 1 to 4 inches of snow early Wed. morning. DFW area.
Then go East to Miles P house. cool

Tracking directly over my place on its way to Miles' place. frown

Ed
Yep! Starting soon...the Uniform of the Day in Phoenix will be 'jockey strap plus shower shoes' and welding goggles!!
ttt
Keep it up north.

The wind has been howling down here in Douglas the last few days, made for some bumpy rides.
Funny thing ,I live south of Tucson,Az about 30 miles or so. I'm sitting here as I write this dressed in a sweat pants and sweat shirt and none too warm. It rained today and really was cold rain. Pretty sure it will warm up soon but the ice hasn't broken in the Santa Cruz river yet. Sadly they don't seem to run the ice breaking contests any more.
I got .1" of rain, I am still pumping my basement
What 'STORM'. We had a little norther with a little sleet.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Big Storm in Arizona - 02/25/15
they flew these kids to the pavement today, I saw on the 6 o'clock news

Originally Posted by AzDailySun
The Coconino County Sheriff’s Office and Arizona Department of Public Safety rescued 20 Northern Arizona University students and staff members from the North Rim of the Grand Canyon Tuesday.

An NAU representative notified the Sheriff’s Office around 1 p.m. Monday that a group of 16 NAU students, two graduate student assistants and two university staff members had been camping for several days near Sowats Point, located outside of the Grand National Park. According to an NAU official, the students were participating in the Parks and Recreation Management Outdoor Education and Leadership program. The class field trip began Feb. 18 and was scheduled to conclude on Monday.

When the group tried to leave the area Monday afternoon, one of their vans became stuck on a snow-covered dirt road.

The group was able to free the vehicle from the snow but realized the roads were impassable due to a storm that had brought 18 to 24 inches of snowfall to the area from Fredonia to the North Rim.

According to the Sheriff’s Office, all members of the group are in good health. They had enough provisions and camping equipment to make it through the night, so they drove as far east as possible and sheltered in place inside the vans Monday night.

The vans were approximately 30 miles south of Fredonia and 20 miles west of SR 67. The Sheriff’s Office had intermittent contact with the group via cell phones and satellite texting since they were discovered to be stranded.

A DPS helicopter crew from Flagstaff flew to the area Tuesday morning and determined an air rescue would be possible despite low cloud cover, heavy fog and light snow. The students and faculty members were flown three at a time until all members of the party could be safely relocated. All 20 students and staff were safely airlifted to the parking lot at Jacobs Lake, where they were met by NAU transport vehicles to be taken back to Flagstaff.

During the rescue, the Sheriff’s Office has also been in close contact with officials from NAU, Kaibab National Forest and the Grand Canyon National Park Service.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Big Storm in Arizona - 02/25/15
actually i have a pretty good idead of where that happened, I have hunted there a number of times.
I wonder if the sheriff's office would rescue me if i got stuck while being in there knowing a storm was coming in?
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Big Storm in Arizona - 02/25/15
A buddy of mine, very experienced, was hiking Baldy a few years ago with his girlfriend. A freak snow storm came in (May I think) and they had to get rescued in a chopper along with a dozen other folks.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Big Storm in Arizona - 02/26/15
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
actually i have a pretty good idead of where that happened, I have hunted there a number of times.
I wonder if the sheriff's office would rescue me if i got stuck while being in there knowing a storm was coming in?

12 A west, on the North Kaibab. I bet Jack O'Connor hunted there too.

I think those kids had been down in the Canyon for a week Ron, they may not have even known the storm was coming.

Luckily they had a SAT phone, I don't think there is cell coverage out that way.

When they hiked out to the rim, they found their 2 wheel drive vans were not helpful in 2 feet of snow.

Sycamore
Posted By: eh76 Re: Big Storm in Arizona - 02/26/15
Posted By: KC Re: Big Storm in Arizona - 02/26/15

I lived in Phoenix in the '70s. My wife worked in the Arizona Bank building and I remember watching these things coming up from Tucson.

KC

Northern Arizona, January 2010.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Big Storm in Arizona - 02/26/15
that was a good one, I think we got 54 inches in 48 hours, it was hard to keep up with that.

Sycamore
What?? I thought I was just responding to the title of this thread, literally. Didn't realize the sarcasm in it. wink

SYC........thanks for the support, buddy. But now you'll be considered a liar same as me. After all.........Arizona is THE DESERT.........right?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Big Storm in Arizona - 02/26/15
anybody familar with arizona, in the mountains, at this time of year, has to or should expect a flash storm that can stop you up.
That area on the north kaibab can turn on you overnight. I full remember many times snow like that in north central arizona. Try a national guard duse and a half getting stuck at the courthouse square in prescott. Five feet of snow on it. Fifteen feet at crown king, 60miles north of phoenix.
Few years ago i was an an elk camp near williams, heard of a storm coming and i got out. The others stayed. 3000 bucks for a road grader to cut trail, and a week later, they finally got out.
As to flagstaff, i remember at college putting a case of beer on the porch to cool down, coming back about 30minutes later, and it was frozen.
Point of it is that area north of the rim is pretty desolate. They were lucky.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Big Storm in Arizona - 02/26/15
Originally Posted by KC

I lived in Phoenix in the '70s. My wife worked in the Arizona Bank building and I remember watching these things coming up from Tucson.

KC

I worked at The Arizona Bank in the 70's. In Prescott.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Big Storm in Arizona - 02/28/15
We're supposed to get up to 3" of rain starting tomorrow night, guys.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Big Storm in Arizona - 02/28/15
sprinkling this morning, the pigmy goats are in their tent. And I am off to see a great granddaughter whip somebodies butt. Three time state champion in judo as i understand. She had me in a headlock last fall at age 9, and i thought i was gonna pass out.
Hope i live long enough to hear about some guy getting fresh with her.
Posted By: krp Re: Big Storm in Arizona - 02/28/15
Flood watch for sunday and monday... I'm gonna get my plastic chairs in...

Kent
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Big Storm in Arizona - 02/28/15
Blew like crazy here all night, gusty, with classic boomers rolling out of the canyon.

The new pipe rack out back is loaded with a combination of various diameters of both steel and aluminum tubing. At times it's acting like a giant set of Pan Pipes, putting out some low pitched and rather eerie notes.

I gotta' work on that.

GTC

Posted By: mudhen Re: Big Storm in Arizona - 02/28/15
Originally Posted by krp
Flood watch for sunday and monday... I'm gonna get my plastic chairs in...

Kent

laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: GregW Re: Big Storm in Arizona - 02/28/15
Crazy windy down south this morning....
Going shed and tortoise shell hunting in a bit too...
Posted By: Greyghost Re: Big Storm in Arizona - 02/28/15
Other than a few sprinkles last night it hasn't started here yet!

Have the feeling they lied to us again...

Phil
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Big Storm in Arizona - 02/28/15

we need it......been dry as a popcorn fart here.......

our southern & central mtn's gonna get 2' of snow this storm...
Posted By: Scott F Re: Big Storm in Arizona - 02/28/15
Originally Posted by GregW
Going shed and tortoise shell hunting in a bit too...

Good idea. It is a lot easier to sneak up on them when the wind is making a lot of noise. grin

Have fun and good hunting.
Posted By: dawggone Re: Big Storm in Arizona - 02/28/15
Originally Posted by mudhen
You boys be careful out there...

[Linked Image]

That is devastating! Was there any looting and rioting going on? Is it Bush's fault still. laugh
Well, at least I will have one more lion hunt this season. Supposed to bring 24" at south rim. Unit 9 should be crazy.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Big Storm in Arizona - 02/28/15
Not to toot my own bugle, but I'm VERY pleasantly surprised that my fearless forecast of three weeks ago turned out to be right. The Siberian low finally got "unstuck" and has started to shift again. That, in turn, is allowing the jet stream/storm track to shift.

The West will finally get some winter, and the East will get some respite from it.
Posted By: huntinaz Re: Big Storm in Arizona - 02/28/15
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Well, at least I will have one more lion hunt this season. Supposed to bring 24" at south rim. Unit 9 should be crazy.

We were up there Tuesday, couldn't cut a track. I was just tagging along having filled a tag already but I was really hoping to see one treed. It was my first trip with dogs.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Big Storm in Arizona - 02/28/15
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Blew like crazy here all night, gusty, with classic boomers rolling out of the canyon.
The new pipe rack out back is loaded with a combination of various diameters of both steel and aluminum tubing. At times it's acting like a giant set of Pan Pipes, putting out some low pitched and rather eerie notes. I gotta' work on that. GTC

Does it have an easy beat to dance to, Greg? grin

Ed
Bad deer shed day. Good tortoise shed day.

[Linked Image]
nice
© 24hourcampfire