Home
Posted By: guyandarifle Tire advice - 02/24/15
It's time to retire my Cooper ATR's and was looking for replacement advice, especially since I'm looking for a bit of a niche use.

Most of my driving will be in a car so the vast majority of "normal" driving won't be on these tires. The Bronco is now pretty much always going to be used for sporting field and bad weather road use. Tire tech is changing all the time (Cooper doesn't even make the ATR anymore) so I'm not sure what the latest and greatest is like these days. As for price I'm not afraid to spend if I'm getting what I pay for...though nobody wants to spend more than they have to.

Any input is appreciated.
Posted By: K1500 Re: Tire advice - 02/24/15
Cheap (at least in my size), loud, good in the snow and mud, OK on the road. I have them on a 3/4 ton diesel and would never run them again on a daily driver, but on a dedicated hunting rig I would do it, as long as I didn't plan on driving cross country with them.

Tires
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Tire advice - 02/24/15
BF Goodrich All Terrain
Posted By: KC Re: Tire advice - 02/24/15
Originally Posted by Reloder28
BF Goodrich All Terrain

+1

smile
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Tire advice - 02/24/15
If you liked the ATR, the AT/3 by Cooper is even better. I've had a set on my Tacoma for 13 months. They work great in ice/snow, and mud. Ride well on the road and are rated for 55,000 miles.

I'm sure the BF Goodrich tires are good, but I was looking at almost $1,000. I got the Coopers for $482 after the $80 rebate they were offering at the time.
Posted By: EdM Re: Tire advice - 02/24/15
Toyo Open Country AT2.
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Tire advice - 02/24/15
Goodrich ATs are great. I had them on my jeep. I now have goodyear duratracks and I like them even better. They look rather aggressive but aren't loud at all. After 7 months I like the duratracks better than any tire I have had so far. Time will tell about tread life. As of now they still look brand new.
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Tire advice - 02/24/15
I have/had at least a dozen sets of bfg at's....they have always been my go to all around. I recently stumbled on Pro Comp's Xtreme AT with a 50k mile warranty, 3-4/16's deeper tread than the bfg and very quiet at a better price I jumped. I am not going back. this is the best skin for my money right now.
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Tire advice - 02/24/15
here are a 5k mile old set of the pro comps...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Tire advice - 02/25/15
I always get at least 65,000 from my BF Goodrich All Terrain's.
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Tire advice - 02/25/15
I always get at least 65,000 from my BF Goodrich All Terrain's.

I get about 40k "safe" miles on my Toyota 4runner....but the last winter after the 40k mark is scary. My dodge diesel ate them up much faster. They are still the benchmark for at tires IMO, but it is 20 year old technology. ....and directions are changing.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Tire advice - 02/25/15
I have used different All Terrains on my last truck. Bridgestone Duelers, Hankook Dynapor ATM, Cooper Discover AT2. None were really bad but the Hankook was killed at a young age by a rock.

I have been reading up on them for months and time is right since I flattened an oem on my new truck. The Cooper AT3 is sort of 'it' right now. It doesn't look very aggressive, thought better in person than on screen. Great handling and one of the best in mud is what I am finding.

In truth I am going another route...for no 'good' reason except looks and cost. I am going with a Hercules Terra Trac II in slightly wider tire that closely matches my current outside diameter. Doing this will increase my load capacity which will be nice if I ever move my camper off the lease. I am looking at 255/70r17 set of four out the door for $636- that is after tax. So....will take the plunge this week. Hercules is made by Cooper.

If looking on line at Discount or tire rack or simple tire etc... when looking at reviews I don't pay attention to comments from people whose vehicle is dissimilar to mine - or that review the tires as GREAT when brand new.

Good luck.
Posted By: ajmorell Re: Tire advice - 02/25/15
I just put a set of the new BFG All-Terrain KO2's on my truck. I like them a lot. The sidewall is a lot more aggressive than the old KO's. I was looking at the Toyo AT2 but Discount didn't stock them, they were more expensive and I didn't want to wait.

I would be tempted to go with a mud terrain or more hybrid type tire if I saw more off-road miles something like the Dick Cepek Fun Country or Goodyear Duratrac
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Tire advice - 02/25/15
As a BFG AT tire fan for many, many years I am now a Toyo fanatic.

Yes, Discount Tire might not stock them but will get them and be very competitive with price if you just negotiate a little. I have bought 3 sets of Toyo tires from them: 35" Toyo mud terrain on my lifted F150 (fantastic tires and wear like iron AND are quiet), and 2 sets of Toyo AT2 on both of my 4-runners.

Toyo tires have outlasted any BFG AT that I ever ran, and look great doing it. Get the Toyo's!
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Tire advice - 02/25/15
If you don't go into rocky country, or really soft conditions, then I'd use the Michelin LTX AT2, which have been good off road for me, and nice on the highway, too. But in the rocks you want strong sidewalls, like the BFG All-Terrains KO2, which are more aggressive. You'll lose ~1 mpg on the highway, with the more aggressive tire, in my experience.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Tire advice - 02/25/15

My tires must be like my guns and truck. My truck gets 14 miles/gallon, my guns shoot around an inch and I never get more than 20,00 miles out of a tire on my truck. Somehow I always get the worst of everything as it seems everybody else's guns shoot 1/2 inch, their trucks get 22 MPG and they get 55,000 miles out of their tires.

The best set of tires I ever had were the Michelin 10 plies that came on my 2008 Dodge pickup. I got 40,000 miles out of them, and they were nothing more than a standard road tire. Out of those miles, when I was in snow/off road, they were spectacular. I just couldn't bring myself to buy an unaggressive tire for a hunting truck.

However, they were fantastic, I should get them again...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Tire advice - 02/25/15
BF Goodrich All Terrain

yept.......only the new series 'BFG AT KO2'

265x75x16 about $203 a pop.......

Discount Tire Direct..free shipping/no tax (for most)
Originally Posted by tikkanut
BF Goodrich All Terrain

yept.......only the new series 'BFG AT KO2'

265x75x16 about $203 a pop.......

Discount Tire Direct..free shipping/no tax (for most)

That's the exact tire I got. $1079 out the door with replacement certs. The Toyos were pretty close in price.

I went from P-Rated 4-ply highway tire to an E-Rated 10-ply all terrain (~15 lb heavier) and was surprised that I only lost about 1mpg.
Posted By: deflave Re: Tire advice - 02/25/15
Yokohama Geloander 10 ply.

Best fuggin' AT tire made.

Travis
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Tire advice - 02/25/15
My tires must be like my guns and truck. My truck gets 14 miles/gallon, my guns shoot around an inch and I never get more than 20,00 miles out of a tire on my truck. Somehow I always get the worst of everything as it seems everybody else's guns shoot 1/2 inch, their trucks get 22 MPG and they get 55,000 miles out of their tires.

Ain't that the damn truth right there!!!!! Good one Kirk. Truer words were never spoken and TFF.
Posted By: benchman Re: Tire advice - 02/25/15
General Grabber AT2's. Have around 80,000+ on them (Hummer H3), with some wear left. Pretty quite, good grip, long lasting, not overly expensive...
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Tire advice - 02/25/15
The factory Goodyear Wrangles that came on my Jeep served me well running around in Potter Co. Pa. in many oh chit ! moments in mud and snow they got me home. Replaced at 50K plus.

Switched to Maxxis Bighorns and they have served me just as well
Posted By: ldholton Re: Tire advice - 02/25/15
If your only off/bad road conditions get some Super Swamppers will not wear good but will dig to china
Originally Posted by ldholton
If your only off/bad road conditions get some Super Swamppers will not wear good but will dig to china

Have you ever drove a vehicle on swampers on ice/packed snow? It's absolutely terrifying.
Originally Posted by ajmorell

Have you ever drove a vehicle on swampers on ice/packed snow? It's absolutely terrifying.

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

I've had several sets of Swamplers. Not many tires will outdig them but they have their limitations. Snow & ice will make ya pucker. laugh crazy laugh crazy
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Tire advice - 02/25/15
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Somebody's gotta be below average. Just think of how good some of us are that are actually above average! whistle
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Originally Posted by ajmorell

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

I've had several sets of Swamplers. Not many tires will outdig them but they have their limitations. Snow & ice will make ya pucker. laugh crazy laugh crazy
Go to a norrower than normal swampper , like a 32 9.50 helps , hell stud um !!
Did that !!!

Didn't pucker quite as hard. No cramps in the lower intestinal tract. laugh
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Tire advice - 02/25/15
Running BFG AT ko's on my Tundra....very happy. Since about Christmas we've had so much snow I'm running 4wd probably half the time...a couple of trips I have to make every week no matter what...as good an unstudded tire on snow as I've ever had (and I've had a lot.) They do all right in the sand when I go surf fishing too. Wouldn't mind if they were a little quieter but, hey, you can't have everything. Don't like having a truck where I need help to get it out (BTDT).
Posted By: GuyM Re: Tire advice - 02/25/15
Went with Toyo MT's on my Jeep Wrangler, which is my "out in the hills" rig. Couldn't be much happier. I did have them "siped" which helps with traction on ice and snow, vital here in the Northwest.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Think very highly of them. They're heavy, but traction is excellent and they've got a good reputation for being tough. I did take them on a 2500 mile road trip to Wyoming for hunting last fall. Noisier and rougher riding than the BFG AT's they replaced, but no problem.

Regards, Guy
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Did that !!!

Didn't pucker quite as hard. No cramps in the lower intestinal tract. laugh
LOL Your right I wasn't thinking of "HARD" ice mostly on the jeep I deal with wet snow , mud off road , nasty gunk you can't hardly walk through. Sure do whine at 50 mph+ on dry roads
Posted By: deflave Re: Tire advice - 02/25/15
I'll say it one more time because I'm such a nice guy.

Yokohama Geolander.

Travis
Posted By: tzone Re: Tire advice - 02/25/15
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

I like this tire A LOT. I had them on my 06 Tundra. They were great in the snow.
Sure do whine at 50 mph+ on dry roads

True story !!!! I swear ta Gawd. !!! Had a set on my F250 and after driving on the interstate for an hour or two on our way to a mud 'n' fun event my wife asked me " why has that airplane been following us " She wouldn't believe it was the tires till I pulled over to prove it. laugh

Gave the truck to her son. 600HP built 460 in it. Costs him about a buck fifty a mile to drive it. grin
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Tire advice - 02/25/15
Forgot to mention the goodyear duratracks come with holes for snow studs.
Posted By: DaveR Re: Tire advice - 02/25/15
When I went searching for tires to replace the Bridgestone MT's I had on the truck (loved those tires...tough as hell), I tried the Duratracs.

If you deal with rocks at all...stay away from the Duratracs. They performed pretty good on the street for me, but when subjected to AZ's rocks, I wound up with 3 punctured and gashed sidewalls over the course of less than a week during elk season. Lost one to a 3/8" diameter wet stick! Right through the sidewall. Any "off road" tire that can't handle a 3/8" wet stick belongs on pavement.

I'm not the only one. If you google up "Duratrac sidewall issues" you'll have enough to convince you to steer clear. Unfortunately for me when I bought them, they were a fairly new tire without much time in real world use and reviews.

I've since put on the Goodyear Wrangler MTR's with Kevlar. Have 4 week long hard trips in AZ's rocky backcountry with them. Tough tires with decent (decent, not great) road manners. Only tire I've found that will put up with abuse in AZ's rocks the way the old Bridgestone MT's would.
Posted By: norm99 Re: Tire advice - 02/25/15
Originally Posted by seal_billy
Goodrich ATs are great. I had them on my jeep. I now have goodyear duratracks and I like them even better. They look rather aggressive but aren't loud at all. After 7 months I like the duratracks better than any tire I have had so far. Time will tell about tread life. As of now they still look brand new.

this and the truck is allways over 10.000 lbs.... so side walls are an issue? lost one that way frown

norm
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Tire advice - 02/25/15

Travis

I thought so too until I had two of them come apart-separate and do thousands in damage to my truck. Yokohama would not stand behind them. Were a bitch to deal with. Discount agreed that they were bad and gave me a new set. One of these separated and tore up my fender. Yokohama wouldn't stand behind them again. Discount gave me new tires again but I made them give me Goodyears.

The Goodyears didn't last 20K. The BFG All terrains are the most OVER RATED and over hyped tire ever made. There are a dozen better choices. The Cooper AT3 are much better as are the Toyo open country 2. Like Shrap, I don't get a lot of miles out of my tires but the Toyos are good for 40K most of the time.

I ran BFG mud terrains for years too. I still have a set. They usually only last me about 18K. They suck on the highway and suck in snow. They are good in soft stuff, however.

I am buying two new sets of tires as soon as my taxes come back, both will be Toyos, that good.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Tire advice - 02/25/15
The Yoko Geo ATS has been a great tire for us. Tougher than hell, great for trailering, gravel, etc..

We've saved a couple used ones and had them mounted on our horse trailer rims.

You most certainly had defective ones Dennis, suck they wouldn't warranty them!

Shrapnel, try the Cooper STT Max, I have a set on a Ford(diesel) and they have made it an honest 35-40k miles.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Tire advice - 02/26/15
Originally Posted by shrapnel

The best set of tires I ever had were the Michelin 10 plies that came on my 2008 Dodge pickup. I got 40,000 miles out of them, and they were nothing more than a standard road tire. Out of those miles, when I was in snow/off road, they were spectacular. I just couldn't bring myself to buy an unaggressive tire for a hunting truck.

However, they were fantastic, I should get them again...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Some of my guns shoot better than yours, some shoot worse. I think we're about even on mileage.

But somehow, I manage to get decent life out of my tires. I don't recall what the stock tires were on my 2500 ram, but they were horrible in the winter! I got a set of studded winter tires, and then a set of a/t's for the summer. Got ~40k out of the stock tires, and with nearly 120k on the odo both the winter and summer tires are near their wear nubs. I'll probably get one more summer out of the summer set and not sure if I'll try and get one more winter out of the winter set.

What I will do is make sure both sets are the same size (winters are slightly bigger) and get two sets of v-bar chains.
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Tire advice - 02/26/15
wore out to some guys is bald. to me, when I get into the 5/16" area......it is time to be summer or bail.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Tire advice - 02/26/15
See if you can order them from Tirerack.com. I get good deals from them for my vehicle and they drop ship to local shops for install. They also pre-negotiate valve stems, etc.
Posted By: rosco1 Re: Tire advice - 02/26/15
Originally Posted by SamOlson
The Yoko Geo ATS has been a great tire for us. Tougher than hell, great for trailering, gravel, etc..

I'm not a big fan..

[Linked Image]

If a "tough" tire is the my main goal I buy M55's.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Tire advice - 02/26/15
They must have had a bad batch or quality control was asleep?!

That is a [bleep] up tire for sure.

And I should add that we've only had about two sets so less than 12 tires total. Not a huge sample but the ones had/have are great. Wear fine and unlike yours the sidewall haven't a problem at all.

The only tire I've ever had 'let go' was on the interstate at about 70mph. Company F350, front tire(of course), thrashed the wheel well and scared the chit out of me.

Can't remember for sure but think it was either a Michelin or Bridgestone. Tread separated from the tire and started flopping around, luckily I got stopped before it blew-out.
Posted By: jmgraham1986 Re: Tire advice - 02/26/15
I'm a pretty big fan of Goodyear Duratracs. Work well for what I need them to do.

Not the best highway or trailer tire, but do well in the mud and the snow.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Tire advice - 02/27/15

Travis

You ain't buyin' Merkin?
Posted By: mohave_mauler1 Re: Tire advice - 02/27/15
BFG KM2 MUDS. Ain't a highway tire but they are bitchin in the dirt and rocks
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Tire advice - 02/27/15
Originally Posted by EdM
Toyo Open Country AT2.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Tire advice - 02/27/15
I used Kelly Springfield MSR tires on my Toyota PU and they worked great for me off road. I didn't go "mudding" with them but muddy old well tender roads we no problem. I went online and saw the "AT" TSR tires have the same tread pattern.
Posted By: SShooterZ Re: Tire advice - 02/27/15
Big fan of both Goodrich and Firestone tires. Had Firestone Destination ATs on my Suburban and they were great in the mud and snow.

Will never intentionally put GoodYear on anything I own. Have had several with tread separation and the GSCs I had on Camaros had the grip of a wet ice cube.
Posted By: Czech_Made Re: Tire advice - 02/27/15
BF Goodrich All Terrain

My vote also. They will keep my jeep on the road even on 8 psi (normal pressure is 24) because they have strong enough walls.

BFG is owned by Micheljn now, BTW.
© 24hourcampfire