Home

In a windowless classroom at an Arcadia tutoring center, parents crammed into child-sized desks and dug through their pockets and purses for pens as Ann Lee launches a PowerPoint presentation.

Her primer on college admissions begins with the basics: application deadlines, the relative virtues of the SAT versus the ACT and how many Advanced Placement tests to take.

Then she eases into a potentially incendiary topic — one that many counselors like her have learned they cannot avoid.

“Let's talk about Asians,” she says.

Lee's next slide shows three columns of numbers from a Princeton University study that tried to measure how race and ethnicity affect admissions by using SAT scores as a benchmark. It uses the term “bonus” to describe how many extra SAT points an applicant's race is worth. She points to the first column.

African Americans received a “bonus” of 230 points, Lee says.

She points to the second column.

“Hispanics received a bonus of 185 points.”

The last column draws gasps.

Asian Americans, Lee says, are penalized by 50 points — in other words, they had to do that much better to win admission.

“Do Asians need higher test scores? Is it harder for Asians to get into college? The answer is yes,” Lee says.

Read full article here if you feel you must.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-adv-asian-race-tutoring-20150222-story.html#page=1
The USA will recover when it returns to a meritocracy.

Universities such as the above are very rapidly making themselves irrelevant.
Yep.

If you show up for the race, you win a trophy. Unless you are white... then you just get to pay the entry fee and go home empty handed after you win the race.
Non issue.
Seeing as most dont take the SAT till the junior or senior year and
The majority of blacks drop out by then.
At least most of them would avoid misusing "your" 4 times in one subject line.
That's just your opinion. You're not modern enough. blush
Racism is alive and well, it's just been taken over by a different group of people who have tried to put lipstick on that pig.

Then - "You're just a bunch of n*ggers and you'll never be as good as white folk."

Now - "You poor disadvantaged African Americans. You will never have anything or achieve anything unless a white person gives it to you or allows you to have it."

Both are reprehensible, but at least the former is honest in it's delivery.
Originally Posted by BFD

that statement is really worth a (bfd) pun intended.

At least I can count, math sure doesn't seem to be "YOUR" strong point! whistle
"white... screwed, Asian... screwed"

"Once you've tried Asian, you'll never go caucasian"
Originally Posted by DesertSandman

In a windowless classroom at an Arcadia tutoring center, parents crammed into child-sized desks and dug through their pockets and purses for pens as Ann Lee launches a PowerPoint presentation.

Her primer on college admissions begins with the basics: application deadlines, the relative virtues of the SAT versus the ACT and how many Advanced Placement tests to take.

Then she eases into a potentially incendiary topic — one that many counselors like her have learned they cannot avoid.

“Let's talk about Asians,” she says.

Lee's next slide shows three columns of numbers from a Princeton University study that tried to measure how race and ethnicity affect admissions by using SAT scores as a benchmark. It uses the term “bonus” to describe how many extra SAT points an applicant's race is worth. She points to the first column.

Asian Americans, Lee says, are penalized by 50 points — in other words, they had to do that much better to win admission.

“Do Asians need higher test scores? Is it harder for Asians to get into college? The answer is yes,” Lee says.

Read full article here if you feel you must.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-adv-asian-race-tutoring-20150222-story.html#page=1

Wow.
Why not just put down on everything that you are black, no matter if you are white as snow? Everyone. It would quickly become irrelevant.
perhaps removing the race box from the SAT test and replacing it with American or non-American would be the answer...
Affirmaive action (or it's basic idea)in it's finest hour.
Originally Posted by high_country_
perhaps removing the race box from the SAT test and replacing it with American or non-American would be the answer...
Remove it complete if all these minorities really want to be treated equal
Or quit whining and start studying.

I have been hearing about the home DNA test. It seems we have all developed from basically one mother from Africa. That should be grounds for putting Black or African on every application that calls for your ethnic back ground.
I often put African American on my form 4473s....

My daughter is Asian so the article is quite interesting to me. Thanks for posting.

Do they have African Canadians?
I've never heard of one.
DesertSandman: Myself and my family have been dealing with and enduring this type of "liberal white guilt" driven "reverse discrimination" for 45+ years now - nothing new in your copied (?) article excerpt!
Your copy does not enlighten at all but it does illuminate another REMINDER for folks on how screwed up our society can be when guilt ridden liberals make decisions for others.
Sad that.
Be careful WHO you vote for may be the big lesson in this regard.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Maybe the Asian Parents like the Jewish ones put high premium on getting a good education! While the Blacks put a premium on scoring there next pipe full of crack! Seem to me all they are doing is penalizing hard work and discipline ! Its not so much about getting into college that should be the focus its that how many actually graduate with something useful once they get into college and in a reasonable period of time! You can pave the way for anybody to go to say Stanford since this is California, by playing around with admittance criteria but at the end of the day if that student either drops or flunks out, you are doing nothing but damaging the kids you are supposedly trying to help, My grades were never good enough for Stanford, to get in to, let alone stay and actually graduate with deceit grades that would have make the expense even worth while!
A little-known fact from the article.....

How did we miss this?

And the Princeton study Lee refers to has been widely criticized by academics who argue that it relies too heavily on grades and test scores to draw conclusions about racial bias and that the data the study uses are too old to be relevant.

In other words, the study they base all their whining upon is bogus.

Another silly myth dispelled.

On to the next.
I wonder where African-American Rednecks (like me) fit in?
Originally Posted by badger

Fox News, by all means!!!

You'll make a fortune.

laugh
Originally Posted by GutshotBuck
Originally Posted by badger

Fox News, by all means!!!

You'll make a fortune.

laugh

Since your head is obviously so far up Obama's ass, make sure your shoes are labelled, wouldja?
I can't stand OBomber.

Where the hell are you getting your bogus information?
Originally Posted by BFD

How do you count? Oh, you can't. I get it.
Dyslexia
My worst nightmare for a college professor is a obese white women. Good Lord do they have a giant chip on their shoulders towards white men.
So what's the big deal? When your kid goes in to take the SAT tell them to check "African American" in the ethnicity question.
The big deal is that checking that box won't do squat. It's the admissions at universities that are using the "formula" to ensure a diverse university population.

If merit alone was the determining factor for admission, most universities would be 90% asian. They do like to study..
Originally Posted by DesertSandman

The ways of the Oriental mind are mysterious and inscrutable.

For example, even though they are discriminated against by the People's Democratic Party because of their race, most Asians vote for PDP candidates by preference.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ian-americans-mostly-vote-for-democrats/

It's a funny old world.
Originally Posted by Calvin
My worst nightmare for a college professor is a obese white women. Good Lord do they have a giant chip on their shoulders towards white men.

Fat ni**er women are worse
If merit alone was the determining factor for admission, most universities would be 90% asian.

Total bullshit.
Not sure what the deal is.

It's a merry-go-round. It's someone else's turn to be equal for a couple generations, then it will come back around again.

I'm still waiting for animals to be more equal than people. That one will be interesting. Bovine University.

Josh
Great. That'll mean Easter Break vids named "Ewes Gone Wild."

(btw, I also count four misused "your" instances in the thread title. You who disagree please show me otherwise.)
I said I was black on my PSAT during my sophomore or maybe junior year. Got a TON of offers, including the United Negro College Fund who eventually asked me to prove my race somehow when I entered a semifinal round. I never even applied for anything as black, just checked the box as a joke when taking the test.
Asian women are the best of the best
© 24hourcampfire