Home
TV news is just now reporting that Harrison Ford the actor has crashed his airplane and is now in critical condition at a kalifornicopia hospital.
Hope he survives.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Piss into the wind.

[Linked Image]
Hold into the interception!
Talk about a crash and burn............

Not sure how much faith to put into a TMZ exclusive though:

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/03/05/small-plane-crashes-onto-venice-golf-course/

If it is Indy, hope he recovers.

[Linked Image]
That'll buff out..!
Is obama under the plane?
http://www.chicagotribune.com/enter...son-ford-plane-crash-20150305-story.html
Damn. That sucks.
I'm hearing and reading that he has suffered gashes to the head and is responsive. Don't know where the "critical condition" comment comes from.
Not the first aircraft he has wrecked!
Originally Posted by isaac
I'm hearing and reading that he has suffered gashes to the head and is responsive. Don't know where the "critical condition" comment comes from.

Hollywood critical.
CNN just said fair condition.

The wreck site doesn't look too bad to me.
Varmintgay panic!

Hold into the interception!
Fox saying just now he's awake and responsive. Moderate condition.

Good.
Don't know where the "critical condition" comment comes from.

All liberals have brain damage.
Looks ideal for an emergency soft field landing; hope it was a par 5.

Plane is upright and no fire.
Brittle bones/age may be a big factor to injury from that image.
I hope the crash knocked some sense into the anti-gun POS.
At 70 he's not the man he used to be but I've seen the guy live through some amazing stuff. One time he jumped out of a plane with no chute, just an inflatable raft.
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I hope the crash knocked some sense into the anti-gun POS.

He's only anti-gun for the peasants.

He hasnt made a decent movie since The Fugitive in '93.
Brings back memories of my pal who died at the Reno Air Races last year. He used to get told all the time he looked like a young Ford.

"That's all the pilot schitt I know how to do". smile

[Linked Image]

He left a bad divot in the course!
A Ryan PT-22!

On takeoff apparently!

Some info on his toy.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...re-military-training-aircraft-1930s.html
Beauty of a plane, too bad.
I think that is his 3rd or 4th crash, dude needs to take up another hobby.
Glad some of you posted what Varmintdouche posted....

Amazing how he only posts bad news now. It reminds him of his failings selecting, no badmouthing, the other team and those who support them.

Fartintoyourdepends
Originally Posted by mirage243
I think that is his 3rd or 4th crash, dude needs to take up another hobby.

His underwriter may see to that.
That looks like a Ryan, similar to the one in Wild America.
Looks like he sat down kinda hard.

Let's don't be hasty passing judgment.
Wait for the proctologists prognosis.
Looks like a pre WW 2 era Stearman trainer...
Looks like he made it to the fringe...almost to the green. If this was Par 5 he was looking at double eagle.
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
TV news is just now reporting that Harrison Ford the actor has crashed his airplane and is now in critical condition at a kalifornicopia hospital.
Hope he survives.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

How about those sad hawks.
Originally Posted by Seafire

Not even close.

It's a Ryan PT-22...
When I heard about the crash and that it was in a trainer, my first thought was it was a T-6...
Originally Posted by add
Looks ideal for an emergency soft field landing; hope it was a par 5.

Plane is upright and no fire.
Brittle bones/age may be a big factor to injury from that image.

Local news reported there were two doctors playing there that came to his aid!

Originally Posted by Bigfoot
At 70 he's not the man he used to be but I've seen the guy live through some amazing stuff. One time he jumped out of a plane with no chute, just an inflatable raft.

Funny thing is I was watching that movie when I first heard he had crashed smile
I think Tommy Lee Jones shot down his plane. He said he'd never give up until he caught the "Fugitive", Dr. Kimball.

Uh-uh

...Sean Connery did it.

http://youtu.be/rUHZZwuybiY
good call. I forgot about that one.
Originally Posted by Brad
When I heard about the crash and that it was in a trainer, my first thought was it was a T-6...

Like this:

[Linked Image]SNJ5 by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

I've got over 20,000 hrs time behind engines like these....P&W R-1340. Never let me down...always got me home!

Oh...these belong to my son.
Originally Posted by RMulhern

Like this:

[Linked Image]SNJ5 by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

I've got over 20,000 hrs time behind engines like these....P&W R-1340. Never let me down...always got me home!

Oh...these belong to my son.

Awesome... a great bird and not easy for a novice. It's incredible such a difficult airplane to fly could have ever been a "trainer."

But you knew that (grin).

My old man, 1951... he loved flying acrobatics in the T6.

[Linked Image]

C-3PO: Sir, the possibility of successfully navigating an asteroid field is approximately 3,720 to 1.
Han Solo: Never tell me the odds.

[Linked Image]

No wonder it crashed...he forgot to but the second wing on his Stearman.... smile
It's a 1-wing Steerwoman.

....baahahahahahahaha

Jabba may only take his ship.

.....over his dead body.

Obviously.
I've been told by a couple old time pilots that trainer aircraft were often harder to fly than the craft they flew in combat.They said it seperated the wheat from the chaf.
Was he flying solo?
Yes. He was headed towards the ocean, the end of the runway is just over a mile from the beach. Good thing it quit when it did or he might have gone swimming with no golfing Doctors around.
Fox's news just released the cause AF the accident...

[Linked Image]

Yeah, if you have a forced landing aim for a golf course for prompt medical attention. smile

Originally Posted by pixarezzo
Was he flying solo?

Well, I got it even if Bigfoot didn't. wink

[Linked Image]

John

News this morning is saying that he is OK!

[Linked Image]

The airplane was the Ryan ST-3KR, 100mph cruise and 60mph STALL...

Variant of ST-3 with a Kinner R-5 radial engine of 160 hp, "One Built".

Link

Looks like it was a pretty early version of the WW2 trainer, and a one of a kind...

Phil
Faster than being in a ER in some places.

Not even close.

It's a Ryan PT-22...

Yes, this.
Dennisaz: Thankfully Mr. Ford is going to recover - I don't like to see liberals "killt" by any means, even Hollywood liberals.
I was even sad when ultra-liberal John Denver died in a similar self flying incident/crash.
I did learn (remember) that this is Mr. Ford's third aircraft downing incident - maybe he should reconsider his hobby?
And I was also reminded that Mr. Ford on two seperate occassions used his flying skills and his own private planes to find/rescue lost/injured people.
Maybe some of that "good" Karmha came back to save him this time around.
IIRC the report I saw this morning relayed how Mr. Ford broke a leg (ankle), a hip and had several other injuries - thankfully none of which were life threatening as was reported initially on both cnn and FOX early on yesterday.
Yeah maybe he should take up GOLF?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
News this morning was saying that it was his long years of flying and the views from the air that brought about his environmental stances.

Said he has been flying since the early 60's and has 8 personal airplanes, and as you said has used them, his time, and funds in many humanitarian instances.

Phil
News this morning is saying that he is OK!

Good; bammy's speech will get him feeling better

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...uy-a-gun-than-a-book-or-fresh-vegetable/
He'll be back swingin on that black meat with ya in no time grin
- man up and get it done, here publically, or I will call you out individually and by name!
GO HAWKS!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

What sort of example are you continuing to set for all the little Varmitguys & Varmitgals of the world?

They have always looked up to you...

Now man up, get it done, and face the seahawk elephant in the room or we will be forced to have Harrison Ford fly over your house on his next solo flight (if they don't pull his medical card from this accident)!!!!

Originally Posted by add
- man up and get it done, here publically, or I will call you out individually and by name!
GO HAWKS!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

What sort of example are you continuing to set for all the little Varmitguys & Varmitgals of the world?

They have always looked up to you...

Now man up, get it done, and face the seahawk elephant in the room or we will be forced to have Harrison Ford fly over your house on his next solo flight (if they don't pull his medical card from this accident)!!!!

was the plane named seahawks, as it crashed.
Kessel Run in under 12 parsecs, my ass!
From what I saw, the radial engine in that Recruit quit on him (did he do something wrong? who knows) He did good to put it down in the golf course. I don't know how much time he had in that thing but rumor is they can be a little squirrely. The video didn't show the crash so I don't know how well he handled the emergency. Off-airport landings in trees are generally hard on both planes and peoples.
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Beauty of a plane, too bad.

Agreed. I don't know how to drive planes, but I still appreciate the pretty ones. Too bad he couldn't have crashed his Prius instead..........
Was it even his plane?

At least John Denver crashed an ugly one- a long EZ.
Just saw a new report on it and the praised him for doing everything right. I guess the Ryan did belong to him. Interviewed a local guy that has one and he did confirm that they can be pretty hard to fly with a dead stick.
So, has dysentery douche ever answered his own throw down thread yet?

What a catch! Twelfth man caught laryngitis.

Piss into the punch bowl!
Just a thought:

The Kinner Engine Company ceased to be in 1946. The engine in HF's Ryan is at least 69 years old. No matter how well maintained it was, it was old and things eventually break.

All in all, I say he did a good job. He survived and he didn't hurt anybody else. And the plane will eventually fly again.

Being suddenly faced with an engine failure at low altitude is a very tough test for any pilot. He kept his cool, and kept the aircraft under control and did the best with what was available. Anything less than excellent performance on his part and we would most likely be reading his obituary.
plenty of those old engines still around and in good shape...IIRC there is still a Gloster Meteor out there flying on its original engines which is one hell of a thing if yah know anything bout the life span of most the individual early get engines...well taken care of alot of those WWII piston engines currently flying will still be working fine in another 50 years.....
the main reason there arent many isnt cause they werent built to last a couple lifetimes but cause even by 1950 so many were scrapped just to scrap them.....almost no one wanted the ones in the states....other than the Corsairs the military wasnt interested in keeping most of the fighters around due to interest in jets and the Brits just tossed most of theirs from us in the sea or buried them to fulfill the lend-lease requirements.....wouldnt have taken much to have a whole lot of them still flying today but like most things hind sight is 20/20
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
From what I saw, the radial engine in that Recruit quit on him (did he do something wrong? who knows?

Maybe he throttled back to far...
Originally Posted by ringworm
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
From what I saw, the radial engine in that Recruit quit on him (did he do something wrong? who knows?

Maybe he throttled back to far...

On take-off and climb out??
This just in

Proctology report says it was a hard sit
butt on a soft spot.

All is well.
I remember when John Denver crashed.
First thing out my mouth upon
hearing the news

(sing with me, you know the tune )
"Sunshine,
on my airplane,
in the water."

All the news reports I saw say he did everything as right as possible under the circumstances. His engine quit after take off, he radioed in an emergency and got clearance to land back at the airport but didn't have the altitude to get there so picked the best space available. If he hadn't handled the situation as well as he did the crash would have been much worse and/or folks on the ground could have been hurt.

Low altitude engine failures are among the worst situations you can face and it takes good training and cool thought to get out of them alive. The Micron CEO, Steve Appleton, was killed in a plane crash here in Boise a few years ago under similar circumstances. His engine quit right after takeoff, he tried to make "the impossible turn" to get back to the runway but banked too steeply, the plane stalled and went inverted and he died.

Whatever anybody's personal hatreds are for Mr. Ford or his views he did some good pilot stuff.
In related news I saw this headline on-line: "Doctor helping downed pilot is shocked to find Harrison Ford"

With a subheading "Harrison Ford not the least bit shocked to find doctor on golf course..."
[Linked Image]
I read that he broke his pelvis and an ankle.

Not fun.
Ghostinthemachine: I received an off-line E-mail from a pilot friend of mine who lives and flies out on the west coast - he was wondering if the plane simply ran out of gas?
I can't imagine that, but he relays that this happens all to often.
I mean he JUST took off from one airport and couldn't even make it to another airport just a couple miles distant - I would go with catastrophic engine breakage of some kind.
Again thankfully this liberal lived through this crash.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Ghostinthemachine: I received an off-line E-mail from a pilot friend of mine who lives and flies out on the west coast - he was wondering if the plane simply ran out of gas?
I mean he JUST took off from one airport and couldn't even make it to another airport just a couple miles distant - I would go with catastrophic engine breakage of some kind.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

If I remember correctly, that's exactly what happened to John Denver. No friggen gas.
Come on VG own up to this:

[Linked Image]
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Had a late night call some years back, that due to engine failure, the FIL was in a non-fatal plane crash and in the hospital. We ended up leaving for AZ an hour later.

Now the FIL was in his early 60's, a retired AF fighter jock, retired commercial pilot, and a retired aeronautical engineer. He lived on his property he built in the desert with his wife, his dog, his plane and his own private runway, and flew just about every day...he was quite the experienced pilot.

The plane was tip-top and checked out and worked on every day.

That day he did his pre-flight and took off but once he was airborne the engine died and he had to make an emergency landing...successfully, but not without consequences that kept him in the hospital for a few weeks with broken stuff.

A lesser capable pilot would likely have bought it right there.

When I said I was somewhat surprised about his having had engine failure in such a well-maintained plane, he told me that it was actually more of a software failure...during his pre-flight he forgot to turn the fuel cock on!

There was enough gas in the lines to warm-up, taxi, take-off and get airborne, but that was about it.
This just in,

Margin of resident pro on staff golf course Proctoctoloist report read "just before impact his ass bit a hole in his shorts."

Yep, or accidentally switch to a dry tank. Plus the PT22 is a dry sump engine with an oil pump switch too, forget that switch and the oil starved motor gives out after a few min.

After a guy has flown a plane so many times he doesn't use a checklist card because he can do it by memory. But when he's in his 70s....

I forget stuff and I'm way younger than he is.
Originally Posted by Bigfoot

After a guy has flown a plane so many times he doesn't use a checklist card because he can do it by memory.

I can't imagine I ever would. At 20 years and 2500 hours flying the EA-6B I still went down the checklist with a challenge and reply on every item.

Perhaps that's just the difference between civilian and military training or maybe I knew my memory just has always sucked. grin
© 24hourcampfire