Home
I live near the border of a neighboring state. An individual (non FFL) in the next state has a shotgun I would like to buy. He won't ship it. How can I complete this transaction? Can I meet him at an ffl in his state and have the ffl do the transfer to me (a non resident of that state) ??? Thanks for any input.
I think you have to receive it at an FFL in your home state. Maybe contact an FFL near him and see if he will ship it for you/him.
If this is wrong, someone will be along to say so, but that's how I understand it.
Meet him in a Wal-Mart parking lot, pay him for the tool you are buying from him, put the tool you bought from him in your car...and drive home.
From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

ATF, FAQ Link

Bottom of the page "unlicensed persons"
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
I live near the border of a neighboring state. An individual (non FFL) in the next state has a shotgun I would like to buy. He won't ship it. How can I complete this transaction? Can I meet him at an ffl in his state and have the ffl do the transfer to me (a non resident of that state) ??? Thanks for any input.

Yes. That's the way to keep it legal.
yes, you can complete the transaction at an FFL in the sellers state. Just like buying a long gun from a dealer in that state.
It's long gun and a neighboring state. As long as you can legally purchase, you can make a private transaction in person with no check. Both Georgia and Alabama have no background check on private sales.
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
It's long gun and a neighboring state. As long as you can legally purchase, you can make a private transaction in person with no check. Both Georgia and Alabama have no background check on private sales.

And is illegal
Originally Posted by 700LH

And is illegal

I got a shotgun, you got cash.

Thank you, come again.( in your best Apoo voice )
Originally Posted by antlers
Meet him in a Wal-Mart parking lot, pay him for the tool you are buying from him, put the tool you bought from him in your car...and drive home.

Never done it.
Or farted, drove above the speed limit OE called my wife a name behind her back.
Simply didn't happen.
Originally Posted by Oakster
yes, you can complete the transaction at an FFL in the sellers state. Just like buying a long gun from a dealer in that state.

Which is exactly what you're doing as it goes through the dealer's book. Or you can complete the transaction at an FFL in the buyer's state which is dealer buys then sells to you also.

And is illegal

Do you enjoy looking foolish... and wrong?

Based on current law you may purchase through FFL in buyer's or seller's state.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

And is illegal

i hope you are calling WCC wrong, because gun sales across state lines requires a FFL to be legal

ked

And is illegal

Yes on Federal law, no on state law, or should I say Yes on some state's laws.
It's kind of funny that when I used to go to the Wannamaker gun shows (infrequently) and have asked a dude selling a gun, all I asked him was how it shot and how much he wanted. Don't think I ever asked him where he was from. Never even crossed my mind he could be from out of state. ;-)

And is illegal

At an FFL yes, but not a "private transaction"
Go read the ATF link provided so you can enjoy feeling foolish.
It's a violation of both the second and 14th amendments. A federal judge recently ruled that interstate FFL requirement on interstate firearm transactions are unconstitutional.

If I am legally eligible to purchase a firearm, according to the ruling, I should be able to do that in all 50 states. (Equal protection clause).

Buy it and bring it home.

It's a violation of both the second and 14th amendments. A federal judge recently ruled that interstate FFL requirement on interstate firearm transactions are unconstitutional.

If I am legally eligible to purchase a firearm, according to the ruling, I should be able to do that in all 50 states. (Equal protection clause).

1+

Still, if it worries him, have him ship it to your FFL. Maybe you can split the cost.

http://cdn.pjmedia.com/instapundit/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/guraop021115.pdf
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin

Yes ,you can use a FFL in another State for a long Gun transfer as long as you do it face to face.

Dang, but you're on a roll today. Wrong again. The court ruling only struck down the requirement to have a handgun, bought in another state, to be picked up at an FFL in the buyer's own state. So all it did is to authorize you to buy a longgun OR handgun directly from an FFL in another state. It did nothing to change the law making it illegal to buy across state lines from individuals.

And is illegal

700LH is 100% CORRECT. If it crosses state lines, you need an FFL.

That is not the full story. That ruling was in relation to handguns only and the requirement was that 2 FFLs, one in the selling state and one in the buying state, needed to be included for a handgun purchase from out of the buyers state. Longarms do not have that requirement.
It is amazing how many gun owners and pro-gun rights folks are citing a bunch of nonsense and unconstitutional laws. Just buy the rifle and shut up about the fact that it was across the state line.

If you're truly concerned, take it to an FFL in his town and have them put your name on some papers in a filing cabinet. Not too sure what that really does for anyone...
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
It is amazing how many gun owners and pro-gun rights folks are citing a bunch of nonsense and unconstitutional laws. Just buy the rifle and shut up about the fact that it was across the state line.

If you're truly concerned, take it to an FFL in his town and have them put your name on some papers in a filing cabinet. Not too sure what that really does for anyone...

^^^^^^Bingo - we have a winner! ^^^^^^^^^^

Well, one step makes you the legal owner of said firearm and one has you violate federal law. Up to you to decide which you would prefer.
Breaking laws does not bother Zero, Holder or the Clinton's. Hasbeen

What is amazing is how many people don't have enough sense to keep their mouths shut. Whether you agree with the laws, or not, advocating breaking them, on a public forum, is foolish.

BRAVO............YOU get it. Oh God, where the hell is BRICKTOP when you need him. Before some folks do ANYTHING they have to blab it all over the internet. Just do whatever it is that you're going to do and be done with it.
Originally Posted by SShooterZ

Well, one step makes you the legal owner of said firearm and one has you violate federal law. Up to you to decide which you would prefer.

If I buy it from another fella, I am the legal owner...regardless of what some screwed up unConstitutional law from an oppressive and corrupt government says.

Its much too late for that. The sheep have excepted the police state.

If I buy it from another fella, I am the legal owner...regardless of what some screwed up unConstitutional law from an oppressive and corrupt government says.

Then you can be charged with a felony, and have all your gun rights taken away by that same gooberment..

e. It is a felony violation to willfully violate the residency laws: § 922 (a)(5) transferor’s violation, § 922 (a)(3) receiver’s violation, up to 5 years in prison.

http://www.fedcoplaw.com/html/federal_firearms_laws.html
I talked in class, I didn't stand in a straight line in the hall, and I got out of my seat on the bus too.
And I ran with scissors.
I talked in class, I didn't stand in a straight line in the hall, and I got out of my seat on the bus too.

Point your finger at someone in school now and you'll be expelled. grin Unless...

[Linked Image]

Then you can be charged with a felony,...

So, what if they decide to place limits on some of your other Constitutional rights...say freedom of speech or freedom of religion...and they threaten you with being charged with a felony if you don't march lock-step to what they want you to do...?
Are you gonna capitulate to that too...?
And what if you tripped on your scissors when you were running and they went through your noggin. You wouldn't be typing right now.

Plain and simple, it is the law. How did a simple question regarding using an FFL for an out of state firearm transfer become your anti-government pulpit. Holy chit man..
Plain and simple, it is the law.

laffin'

So friggin' what...?
© 24hourcampfire