Home
Posted By: northern_dave black betty (1977 F250) - 03/09/15
My oldest boy's pickup truck, has officially entered the shop to undergo beautification process.

[Linked Image]

Nathan wants this truck back together for prom (soon)

He tore it down this far last night, this kid is a hard charger, go-go-go!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Stay tuned.

grin
Posted By: ingwe Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/09/15
Cant wait to watch the progress on this one!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/09/15
I bought a spankin' new 77 F-250 in May of 77.
A 400?, with auto transmission.

You needed a grease zerk on the fuel gauge needle.

Best of success with this on the rebuild.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/09/15
Except for being a 250 vs. a 150, that truck is the spittin' image of my Dad's old truck and the vehicle I cut my driving teeth on.

This is gonna be cool.
Posted By: RWE Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/09/15
Originally Posted by northern_dave
My oldest boy's pickup truck, has officially entered the shop to undergo beautification process.

Are you going to install a condom dispenser?
Posted By: ingwe Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/09/15
Dude! shocked
Posted By: RWE Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/09/15
I'm sorry.

Nice old truck....
Posted By: White_Bear Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/09/15
I LOLed...

I may have a few parts for that truck kicking around here. Let me know if you need anything.
Posted By: TERRY8mm Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/09/15
HI BOYS RULE!!!!!
Posted By: T LEE Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/09/15
Yay, a new chapter.
Man I wish I would have had somebody around to give me proper instruction as a kid, he's picking up invaluable skills.

That truck is gonna turn out bitchin....

It's gonna be fun, and he's a damn good kid, he deserves it.

Alright, bed sides, wheel houses, windshield and gaskets, a set of the half ton style side mirrors and a new seat upholstery kit are on order, could see a semi truck in the driveway as soon as Friday this week.
Posted By: tzone Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/09/15
I'd give you a few tips since I'm an expert on these trucks now...but I'll let you figure it out on your own. grin I do think it was pretty bitchin as-is. Or should I say, as-was. laugh

I can't wait to see the progress and all the stuff I can do better on my next one! I'm looking forward to it!
Posted By: Higginez Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/09/15
Subscribed
Posted By: White_Bear Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/09/15
I remember the conversation ND & I had about proper tire size on that old Hi-boy. We both won that battle. Bigger is always better.

Mrs. ND wasn't as impressed. smile
Looking forward to watching your progress.
Posted By: Paradiddle Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/09/15
Awesome!
We are going to cut all this chit off the front and tuck the bumper back in to stock location.

[Linked Image]

That is where the old belleview winch was mounted.

[Linked Image]

I may mount the old winch in the back of my old plow truck for un-stucking myself when I get too rammy and end up on top of the snow heap with old yeller.

Nathan will likely end up with a front receiver and a more modern winch on a receiver plate so he can mount front or rear, or not at all.

Posted By: tzone Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/09/15
I was wondering if you were going to keep that old school winch. Hook to some batteries and lift deer on the pole at chickenbuck?
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/09/15
Sweet! Black Betty gonna be stylin!

Hey Tommy have you done anymore to that Ford you fixed up?
Posted By: safariman Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/09/15
Originally Posted by tzone
I'd give you a few tips since I'm an expert on these trucks now...but I'll let you figure it out on your own. grin I do think it was pretty bitchin as-is. Or should I say, as-was. laugh

I can't wait to see the progress and all the stuff I can do better on my next one! I'm looking forward to it!

Yea and amen! There were many years of driving that I would have been damned proud to have that truck as my daily driver just like it looked in the first picture.

BUT, knowing you, the re do is going to be pretty fantastic.

Have you thought about dropping a 7.3L TurboDiesel in the power plant compartment? A guy can make a BUNCH of HP and Torque come out of those motors, and still be able to afford feeding it as a daily driver.

I have had F-250's with 390's and 460's and they just cannot pass up a fueling station. My new to me '97 F-250 with the 7.3 Turbo is a wonderful truck for all around use. It is even quick enough from a stop sign or freeway on ramp to be fun to drive. And it is bone stock for now.

Other side of the equation, I wonder what kind of fuel mileage a guy could get with a properly built gasser 302? Hopped up just a little, and allowed to breathe, it might just make all the power that is needed and be reasonable in the truck groceries dept.
Posted By: ironbender Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/10/15
Very cool, Mr Dave.

You be makin' memories with that boy of yours!

WAY mo' important than trucks.

Congrats, sir.

But...don't you have payin' jobs? smile
Posted By: eh76 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/10/15
Looking forward to this project Dave. Hi lift trucks do have a good advantage you know...........
The truck is after hours and weekends. I have plenty of paying work that has priority.

I have a feeling Nathan's priority is on the truck though. grin
Posted By: 4ager Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/10/15
Now you're talking my language!
Posted By: eh76 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/10/15
I have a Radio Flyer needing restoring...how much? grin
Posted By: 4ager Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/10/15
Originally Posted by safariman

Yea and amen! There were many years of driving that I would have been damned proud to have that truck as my daily driver just like it looked in the first picture.

BUT, knowing you, the re do is going to be pretty fantastic.

Have you thought about dropping a 7.3L TurboDiesel in the power plant compartment? A guy can make a BUNCH of HP and Torque come out of those motors, and still be able to afford feeding it as a daily driver.

I have had F-250's with 390's and 460's and they just cannot pass up a fueling station. My new to me '97 F-250 with the 7.3 Turbo is a wonderful truck for all around use. It is even quick enough from a stop sign or freeway on ramp to be fun to drive. And it is bone stock for now.

Other side of the equation, I wonder what kind of fuel mileage a guy could get with a properly built gasser 302? Hopped up just a little, and allowed to breathe, it might just make all the power that is needed and be reasonable in the truck groceries dept.

I reckon Northern Dave has it figured out without any help, and has likely forgotten more about rebuilds that you, me, or anyone else here is likely to know or learn.

Why not just STFU, sit back, watch, and appreciate without trying to twist something into whatever fantasies of "right" you might have?
But Dave is pretty easy going, doesn't mind hearing ideas.

It is my opinion that a realistic budget needs to be in place. Your build plan is basically defined by your budget.

I prioritize, what's most important, what NEEDS work vs what is OK but could use improvement.

This truck will get the most bang for the buck. And its not going to be a lot of bucks.
I am looking forward to seeing how this one comes out.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/10/15
This is going to be a cool thread, looking forward to it
Posted By: bubbajay Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/10/15
But Dave is pretty easy going, doesn't mind hearing ideas.

It is my opinion that a realistic budget needs to be in place. Your build plan is basically defined by your budget.

I prioritize, what's most important, what NEEDS work vs what is OK but could use improvement.

This truck will get the most bang for the buck. And its not going to be a lot of bucks.

I think I have a form for "change orders" I could share with your oldest boy child....he could add the number of hours of work he will put in for you in exchange for you financing a motor like stxhunter has posted pics of. We already know its going to look great when it rolls out the shop door.

Have fun with the project, I did something similar with my dad and it was some of the best times we ever had.
Posted By: PVT Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/10/15
Watching. Looking forward to this.
Posted By: tzone Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/10/15
Dave knows I was joking. I'm wrapping up my 78 for f-150 project, which Dave was VERY helpful on it with all my dumb questions.
the bone stock 351M will remain in the truck (for now). Yes Nate has ideas for a cummins 12 valve or a 7.3, or a built up 400.

That is likely what we will do, we will keep our eyes open for a rebuildable 400 and we will do a mild perf build, possibly add EFI.

But not right now.

The 351 runs excellent, doesn't use oil, cools nice, its dependable. They don't make much power, but it's a 4 speed truck and it does have low range....

It'll be fine, right now we want to take care of the rust and make the truck look nice.

Posted By: Rooster7 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/10/15
Originally Posted by safariman
[quote=tzone]Other side of the equation, I wonder what kind of fuel mileage a guy could get with a properly built gasser 302? Hopped up just a little, and allowed to breathe, it might just make all the power that is needed and be reasonable in the truck groceries dept.

wut?
Posted By: mathman Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/10/15
A mild, modern cam and an ignition recurve would wake it up for not a lot of money.
Originally Posted by White_Bear
I LOLed...

Don't think Dave didn't either. I LOL'ed too!
A roller cam 302 (94 or later) with efi, headers and an overdrive manual trans behind it wouldn't be a terrible thing to do to that truck, if there would be room for the trans between the divorced t-case and the engine.

but, we aint doing any of that right now.

When I drive this truck I can get 12 mpg with it.

when a boy drives this truck it's 8 to 10 mph because most of the run time on the engine is idling for hours in a convenience store parking lot or other kid hang out areas.

My run time is where the rotation of the crank is harnessed for propelling the truck down the road, for transporting me and my items from point A to point B.

Young people just like to let the engine run, for no other reason than to complain about fuel mileage.

grin
Originally Posted by mathman
A mild, modern cam and an ignition recurve would wake it up for not a lot of money.

No squeeze.

compression ratio is 8:1 on this engine.

Posted By: bubbajay Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/10/15
I was 19 with a mid 80's 302 in an 84 Bronco....I put a new intake and 4 bbl carb......and a less restrictive exhaust......I broke the exhaust off behind the cat....and welded up something that exited just in front of the rear axle......

it may have "breathed better" but 19-24 year old males are better at turning gasoline into noise....with the occasional acceleration mark(s) on the highway...or sidewalk.

the cummins swap makes me grin.....
[Linked Image]
No-One?
Really?

No squeeze.

compression ratio is 8:1 on this engine.

That's the mild, modern cam part. Something like the mildest Lunati Voodoo for example. The lobe designs available now will increase cylinder pressure and improve torque and response over the lazy lobes of the stock design. More power, response, and mileage. Getting some ignition timing in at lower rpms will accentuate the effect.
Posted By: UNCCGrad Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/10/15
If a Cummins 12V is on the table it gets my vote. Looking forward to this thread as well. I'm not a Ford guy, but I have always liked that body style.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/10/15
Dave;
Thanks again sir for sharing a fun, family project with us - as others have mentioned this one brings back some very fond memories for me for sure and will be one I'll eagerly watch.

One of the farm trucks back in the day was a '78 250 with a 390 in it and we had a '76 150 with a 360 and an '80 with a 400 in it too. The 400 decidedly our least favorite motor, but we kept them all stock too.

For the folks advocating stuffing a Cummins into your son's pickup I can only say that the only way I'd go down that road would be with full, FULL pockets. eek

The strain on the rig's front end changes everything when one stuffs in that much more weight and of course the entire drive train would be under "different" pressure too.

Anyway Dave, much as it pains this diesel engine guy to say it, I'd likely stick with a very similar motor that had a mild massage to bring out it's best.

All the best to you and your fine family Dave and thanks again for the grand thread and pleasant memories.

Dwayne

Posted By: horse1 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/10/15
I remember the conversation ND & I had about proper tire size on that old Hi-boy. We both won that battle. Bigger is always better.

255/85/16
Posted By: ringworm Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/10/15
[Linked Image]

1972 F-100 w/ 302 Windsor.
118k original miles.
I'm the 2nd owner. My paternal GF bought her new. I grew up in it.
Posted By: Redneck Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/10/15
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I bought a spankin' new 77 F-250 in May of 77.
A 400?, with auto transmission.

You needed a grease zerk on the fuel gauge needle.
Yep. I bought a new '77 F-250 4X4 in March of that year, 400 engine, auto trans - and it got about 8 mpg..

I made a couple changes.. Tossed the factory 2-barrel carb and intake manifold in trash - along with the exhaust - and replaced it with an Edelbrock manifold and a small Holley 4-barrel. Then changed the exhaust to duals with side pipes mounted under the rocker panels..

Mpg went to 13 and I had tons more power to work with - and it also was the easiest/fastest starting Ford I ever had.... Maybe that type of conversion would work well with Black Betty... smile
Posted By: White_Bear Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/10/15
I have some parts for that 351M

A .060 over block that has been decked.
Ported, polished & shaved heads
400 crank, rods & .060 over pistons
loomynum 4bbl intake & carb
some ignition upgrades
headers

In fact all of the parts are assembled under the hood of a '79 F250 parts truck.

Cheap if interested.

Like Redneck said, giving these engines some wind can really wake them up.

some ignition upgrades
headers

In fact all of the parts are assembled under the hood of a '79 F250 parts truck.

Cheap if interested.

how "cheap" is cheap. I like the sounds of that WB. I'm finished with my truck except the exhaust. I'm going to do another in a year or so. That sounds like a great fit.
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Dave;
Thanks again sir for sharing a fun, family project with us - as others have mentioned this one brings back some very fond memories for me for sure and will be one I'll eagerly watch.

One of the farm trucks back in the day was a '78 250 with a 390 in it and we had a '76 150 with a 360 and an '80 with a 400 in it too. The 400 decidedly our least favorite motor, but we kept them all stock too.

For the folks advocating stuffing a Cummins into your son's pickup I can only say that the only way I'd go down that road would be with full, FULL pockets. eek

The strain on the rig's front end changes everything when one stuffs in that much more weight and of course the entire drive train would be under "different" pressure too.

Anyway Dave, much as it pains this diesel engine guy to say it, I'd likely stick with a very similar motor that had a mild massage to bring out it's best.

All the best to you and your fine family Dave and thanks again for the grand thread and pleasant memories.

Dwayne

Hi Dwayne, are you getting any of this tropical weather? I'm loving it!

Your points are very good (I think they are good because they align nicely with mine, lol).

Any engine swap becomes a slippery slope. As per your point, the 12 valve would likely lead to a dana 60 front axle to help support it, then a new spring selection.... vacuum? No vacuum on a boosted oil burner, so add a vac pump for vac operated accessories. It gets hard to stop, all are slippery slopes but some are steeper.

I really do like the idea of working with the 335 series engine. For wiring, for coolant pluming, brackets, mounts, exhaust routing... Everything!

That's the mild, modern cam part. Something like the mildest Lunati Voodoo for example. The lobe designs available now will increase cylinder pressure and improve torque and response over the lazy lobes of the stock design. More power, response, and mileage. Getting some ignition timing in at lower rpms will accentuate the effect.

I can get aboard with that line of thought as well. I think (if you can find then) a set of federal mogul (TRW) L2466F pistons would bring us up to 8.5:1, a little trimming from the head and or deck and we'd be at 9.

It's no secret that Tim Meyer right here in MN can hook us up with a stroker kit and even heads if we like to perk the 335 series up to 450+ hp if we have the cash.

But I'm of the opinion that we could likely unleash a reasonable amount of power from the 351 CI engine for a few bucks and it will be dependable and as economical as we can hope to achieve with a gas engine, 4.10:1 gears non overdrive with 35" tires.

I'm thinking 275-300 hp

Originally Posted by horse1

255/85/16

+1, I'm a big fan of that tire size, it's what I want on my plow truck.

Originally Posted by ringworm
[Linked Image]

1972 F-100 w/ 302 Windsor.
118k original miles.
I'm the 2nd owner. My paternal GF bought her new. I grew up in it.

Beautiful.

some ignition upgrades
headers

Cheap if interested.

If you serious, I think yah maybe. grin
Originally Posted by calikooknic
No-One?
Really?

When Nathan drives his litle brother to school in "Betty", Joey plays that song on his i-pod.

We hear that song a LOT around here. lol!

If you serious, I think yah maybe. grin

Send the boy over with the trailer & we load the whole truck up. I'll try smile to get it drug out of the snowbank today.
I wish I had a dollar for every hour I spent in an old ford truck like that ,out in the woods,road hunting grouse,scouting for deer sign ,drinking beer,ice fishing,etc.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/10/15
it will be a nice truck. i know where there is one about that year with a 454 chevy in it. thats an upgrade!!
White bear and I have been discussing the unicorn piss theory this morning.

This is a concept of achievability.....

These projects need to have achievable goals, otherwise they risk abandonment and failure.

Black Betty could easily become one of those unfinished projects, abandoned, parked behind the barn for decades.

20 yrs down the road Nathan stands with a little boy of his own staring at the rusted and sun rotted old 77 Ford.

"Daddy, what's that?"

"Well son, me and your grandpa started building that truck when I was young. It was an awesome plan, it was going to be shiny black. It was supposed to make 1000 horse power with a special engine that burned unicorn piss."

"What happened daddy?"

"Well son, we hit a snag."

The 335 series were restricted for smog & MPG reasons. They freshen up real good with a few bolt-ons.

I've found the weak point being the stock pushrods bending if spun over 6500rpms. I figure it's a built-in rev limiter.

No unicorn piss needed.
Load the motor for the boy. WB told me about that mill. It sounds fun! smile

I have a 390 that may or may be stuck at this point. I'd kinda like to put it in my next one. The problem is the next one will probably be for my boy....I'm not sure a 16 year old kid needs to have have a fire breathing FE. laugh
Dave, the 12V 5.9s are good to go with a vacuum pump already part of the package,but servicing the AC pump, nightmarish in the stock Dodge installations, becomes total FUBAR in the custom set ups.

The MAIN issue with setting up a good 5.9 in Black Betty would be dishing and lowering the main front crossmember about 3" to accomodate the deeper Cummins pan.

Relocating the starter's a bit of a headache, as well.

Maybe Unicorn piss will run a mite better than this low sulfur
bio-fuel though ?

GTC
Posted By: stxhunter Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/10/15
http://cppdiesel.com/cummins-conversion/
The mild cam I mentioned before, ignition recurve, and:

[Linked Image]

Top it with one of the economy calibrated, smaller four barrels Edelbrock offers. Add a set of headers and the transformation will be complete.
The mild cam I mentioned before, ignition recurve, and:

[Linked Image]

Top it with one of the economy calibrated, smaller four barrels Edelbrock offers. Add a set of headers and the transformation will be complete.

Right on!
We will cross the powerplant bridge when we come to it.

Priority right now is beautification of the Betty.

The truck functions flawlessly in every mechanical respect.

Priority will be body and paint, tuck the bumper back to stock location, freshen up the interior with some insulation and sound deadening, new rubber floor, recover the seat, new windshield and gasket, perhaps a functional stereo and possibly new front leaf springs to level the truck.

Mechanical priorities (future), will be upgrade the 77 power assist steering system with a later power sector, traction devices in both differentials, new bearings and seals in all gear cases at that time and convert to synthetic gear oils, lastly the engine.
Posted By: patbrennan Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/10/15
First new truck I bought was a 77 F250 4x4, 4 speed 351, jade green. Certainly was not overpowered but that motor was very reliable for the 80K miles I had it. I put a set of headers on it that perked it up fairly significantly and improved mileage noticeably. My brother had the same motor with headers and an edelbrock/small holley that really helped in the power dept.
One problem I had with the truck was the spring inside the front hub that engaged the front axle when you turned the hubs, had two break over time and or not engage because of too much grease, etc. Most troublesome when you are already stuck in a snowdrift during spring bear season, only to find that you only have rwd truck (empty, naturally). Happened again the night before opening day of deer season, when I couldn't get up a loose rock piece of road to a previously scouted spot.
When it was all working it was pretty good in snow and could pack a load without complaining.
Truck got sold to help fund the wife staying home with the kids through their childhood. One of the better decisions we made, at least for us!
Posted By: MadMooner Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/10/15

Priority will be body and paint, tuck the bumper back to stock location, freshen up the interior with some insulation and sound deadening, new rubber floor, recover the seat, new windshield and gasket, perhaps a functional stereo and possibly new front leaf springs to level the truck.

Mechanical priorities (future), will be upgrade the 77 power assist steering system with a later power sector, traction devices in both differentials, new bearings and seals in all gear cases at that time and convert to synthetic gear oils, lastly the engine.

That is entirely too sensible and thought out.

Stick to the unicorn piss.
Posted By: WyoCowboy Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/10/15
Originally Posted by horse1

255/85/16

+1

I run that size, even when i had a half ton ford I found some 16 in 5on5.5 wheels and ran a 255/85R16, it just makes since
Originally Posted by MadMooner

That is entirely too sensible and thought out.

Stick to the unicorn piss.

I don't think we're going to get anywhere with Dave. The plan I laid out didn't even require horse piss, let alone unicorn piss. grin
Mathman, lol!

If you are bored, I have a challenge (for everybody).

1977 was a very odd year for the f250 4x4.

77 was the first year the 351M and 400 engine was used in that truck. And early production for that model year still used the "highboy" frame, divorced t-case and the tall stance that everybody loves.

Here's the challenge:

Find headers that fit the 77 4x4 f250 with 351m or 400 engine that are not fender well exit headers.

There, that will keep some people busy.

Talk about unicorns.....

Lol!
I beginning to think you pick projects just so you can't make performance modifications! laugh

Even so, the mildness of the cam I suggested is such that it should work fine with stock manifolds.
I plan to cut the "bump" out of the exhaust ports in the cylinder heads, along with typical mild porting. Then have a look at the stock manifolds and see what we can clean up inside of them for additional flow.

(When the time comes(

grin
I plan to cut the "bump" out of the exhaust ports in the cylinder heads, along with typical mild porting. Then have a look at the stock manifolds and see what we can clean up inside of them for additional flow.

(When the time comes(

grin

"I'll think about it" is the way my Dad spelled "never." grin

(When the time comes(

grin

TFF that is good
Posted By: DocRocket Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/10/15

20 yrs down the road Nathan stands with a little boy of his own staring at the rusted and sun rotted old 77 Ford.

"Daddy, what's that?"

"Well son, me and your grandpa started building that truck when I was young. It was an awesome plan, it was going to be shiny black. It was supposed to make 1000 horse power with a special engine that burned unicorn piss."

"What happened daddy?"

TFF!!!

grin
Posted By: patbrennan Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/10/15
The headers I had ran through the fenderwell, and rotted out in 3+ years from all the spray on them!
Those headers might be tricky to find for that narrow frame.

Either some shorties or stacks out the hood.

I have mine dump out the fenderwell & there were no clearance issues. One truck was a '77 F150 with 38" tires and the other was a '79 F250 with 33's.

I think you should come get my old 400. The EGR bumps have already been removed, mild port/polish, and a valve grind that you won't see unless you work in a race shop.
more power? find a 351w roller motor out of a 90s for truck, pull the trans to. should be able to get the whole shebang for 600-700$. I probably have a older dual plane intake around here for a holley 4150 flange.
Posted By: DuckScarer Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/10/15
White bear and I have been discussing the unicorn piss theory this morning.

This is a concept of achievability.....

These projects need to have achievable goals, otherwise they risk abandonment and failure.

Black Betty could easily become one of those unfinished projects, abandoned, parked behind the barn for decades.

"Daddy, what's that?"

"What happened daddy?"

+100 That might be the post of the year
Tonight we cut this off the front of the truck with the plasma torch.

[Linked Image]

Frame horns are restored to stock so the new bumper will be tucked back in there where it is supposed to be.

[Linked Image]

Next we removed all the bed floor bolts so the bed is loose from the frame. We had 8 extra ones because this truck had a drop down goose neck ball installed at one time (poorly done, this is coming out)

Then I had Nate sand the inner bed side pinch weld lip to help expose all of the spot welds for drilling.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My spot weld driller is a little more than most hobbyist have laying around.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

splitting knife/chisel.

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...G_20150310_212556545_HDR_zpss84tdhel.jpg[/img]

these are popped.

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...G_20150310_212544888_HDR_zpshccyrvxg.jpg[/img]

We do that down the length of both sides.

We are done for the night, possibly more tomorrow.

Posted By: wabigoon Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/11/15
You are a much younger man than I David, to enjoy working nights.

Mind you, time was------------.
Working nights, not awesome.

Working nights with my boy, awesome.

smile
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/11/15
Always had a soft spot for those old F250s Dad had a '73 with a 390 factory 4 barrel. He let me drive it in the field when I was 7. I'm sure the kid will love whatever motor the two of you decide on, but there is just something special about those old "fe"s...
Watching all of this reminds me of something I did back in the 70's.
Took an old ford truck with the cab up front a gas truck from So. Edison took out the little 200 and put in a 289 (people told me it couldn't be done) my next door neighbor was a shop teacher,
next we put in a 4 speed every body said you can't do that, so did. I used the shifter(for the 4) on the column and put reverse on the floor, next I had to put a bigger rear end on it as the little spicer(sp) rear end would have been all over the road, a few other touches, but left the ratty old paint job on it. When the young bucks pulled up along side and went voom, voom waiting for the light to change boy did they get egg all over their face as I left them standing there. That machine was hard to bet to 75 and then I ran out of go. It was fun sold it to a different neighbor, but he just never could get it to work for him like it did for me. Those were the days. Good luck with black Betty. Cheers NC
Posted By: Whiptail Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/11/15

First car I drove was a 72 F250 4x4 with a 360 big block. It didn't have power steering and in 4wd the steering wheel would buck back so hard I thought it could break my arm. My Dad bought it new for $4000 and finally sold it in 2006 for $6500 and he said it's the only car he ever made money on - well sort of.
Posted By: TheKid Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/11/15
70's Fords are the best, though mine have always had an enclosed back ala Bronco. You'd better head over to Whitebear's place and snag that 400 lest I swing down and snatch it to put in my remaining 79 bronco that is sitting in semi retirement at my folks' place in OK.

I don't mind the 335 series engines so much, lots of guys hate them but I've had good luck. My first and best 79 has a 400/C6 and after I scrapped all the smog nonsense and put a Edelbrock 650 and performer intake along with some head work I saw 14mpg pretty regularly. Not an econobox by any stretch but same mileage as my 98 f150 4X4 and looked cooler getting it. My wife has a 79 bronco that was originally sold in California. It is complete with goofy dealer installed stripe kit and more hoses and doodads on the 351 than I've ever seen. Before we drove it into the ground, ie back when it had oil pressure at idle, I saw a legitimate 16mpg more than once on the highway. It was always a dog in the performance dept though.

Someday I'm going to get a nice, hopefully rust free, 70s Ford 4x4 pickup to fool around with. Boats always look cooler at the boat ramp when they're tied to a slick old ford with dual exhaust blowing bubbles in the water.

PS. Not to be that guy Dave, and I know he's got a one spare eye, but please ask the boy to put some glasses on when he's grinding. He'll pick up more chicks in his badass pickup if he doesn't have a glass eye.
Posted By: BigNate Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/11/15
We like the old Fords too.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by TheKid
some glasses on

Yep, you are right. I try to keep an eye on him and keep after him. I have a full box of safety glasses and a full face shield for the actual grinding with the sparks and carnage.

Originally Posted by BigNate
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Cool, what are you running for front springs on the one in the top photo?
Posted By: bruinruin Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/11/15
Working nights, not awesome.

Working nights with my boy, awesome.

smile

Yep, that's the good stuff.

I was taking a 300 mile round trip drive to my BIL's gun shop last Saturday and was asking around the house for a travel companion. My 8 y/o son spoke up and we made the trip together. "I didn't want you to be alone, Dad, so I came with you. I'm glad when we do stuff like this together."

You set a good example for us fellow Dads, Dave.

Back to the truck. Maybe I missed it in the description, but since you're drilling all the spot welds along the bed rails I'm assuming you're going to put new skins on the outside of the box, yes? Is that a time-saver overall when compared to dealing with dents and minor rust?
Hi Scott.

I can take pictures later this morning, I don't consider anything that's rusted through "minor rust" that said, this one is the best of 3 mid-late 70's ford trucks we own.

But still the fact remains it is ate through all the way over both rear wheels and in the bottom corners below tail lights.

One of the outer wheel houses is also ate through. I could have purchased patch panels but I feel this is the right way to do it on a truck that will be used for hunting/fishing and winter driving.

We will take extra steps to prevent rust from occurring in the future.

Back sides of panels, bottom side of the truck etc will get special rust preventive coatings. Stuff it never had from the factory.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/11/15
Hi Scott.

I can take pictures later this morning, I don't consider anything that's rusted through "minor rust" that said, this one is the best of 3 mid-late 70's ford trucks we own.

But still the fact remains it is ate through all the way over both rear wheels and in the bottom corners below tail lights.

One of the outer wheel houses is also ate through. I could have purchased patch panels but I feel this is the right way to do it on a truck that will be used for hunting/fishing and winter driving.

We will take extra steps to prevent rust from occurring in the future.

Back sides of panels, bottom side of the truck etc will get special rust preventive coatings. Stuff it never had from the factory.

Thanks for the explanation, Dave. I couldn't really tell how much rust there was from my smartphone screen.

10-4 on treating the backside of the panels. It's a damn shame that nothing like that was done at the factory. I recall Dad's '77 ,(nicknamed Black Diamond)having rusted through the side at the top of the WW's, rusted through cab floor door corners and at the bottom rear of the back WW's.

Old Black Diamond was a beat to crap wood hauler that I occasionally drove to high school. It had the 351M and topped out at about 85 mph. I recall having the pedal to the floor and watching a buddy cruise by me in his Chevette. That's some embarrassing chit and hard to live down. blush

Anyway, thanks again for clarifying. Love these old Ford bodies, even into the early 80's and am looking forward to seeing how this one looks when you roll it back out into the sunshine.
Posted By: tzone Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/11/15

(When the time comes(

grin

Lol. I think our dads grew up together. grin

Either some shorties or stacks out the hood.

grin
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hell yes!!
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/11/15
Hey, nice work Dave & Nate !!
Posted By: tzone Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/13/15
We need more black betty!!
Posted By: eh76 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/13/15
Posted By: grouseman Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/13/15
Yes, ignition. People ALWAYS overlook optimizing their ignition curve. They'll throw $$$$ of parts into it, but not take the time to set up the initial, vacuum, and mechanical curves. They are CRUCIAL to performance and economy.
I agree, a lot if performance is to be had by having that spark come in at the right time all the way through the range.

I used to do a lot of ignition timing work with a single point ignition distributor on a 327 Chevy. I knew that engine very well. The static timing, then the vacuum, I had an adjustable vac advance on that one because I was running ported vac, my static plus the vac advance was too much at idle so my vac advance was adjusted back a little. Then I experimented with weights and springs for the mechanical.

When you get it right, it feels like you found another 30-50 HP hidden in the engine somewhere.

Most folks these days figure an MSD sticker will take care of it all.

OK.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/15/15

Are those Hankook DynaPro MT tires?

I have a set on my Samurai.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/15/15
first truck i had was a 70 ford f-100 with a 390 and 4-11s posi, it would blow chevy trucks with a 350 off the road. couldn't keep rear tires on it
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

Are those Hankook DynaPro MT tires?

I have a set on my Samurai.

I think they are, they are cracking in the tread face, got decent tread left but I don't think I would buy them again.
Posted By: White_Bear Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/15/15
That seems to be common with most tires these days. "They don't make em like they used to."
Aha !

....another 'window distributor' fan ! Re-curve with different springs, weight. etc....

Tech tip: Get hold of one of those BIG Blue Streak marine coils, the one with the finned housing. Drive it with a Delco window distributor, with a coupla' Dodge resistors protecting your points . Man you talk about FIRE.

There's enough "saturation" inside that big sucker that the engine will run for second after the power's chopped.

GTC
Posted By: tzone Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/15/15
Originally Posted by stxhunter
first truck i had was a 70 ford f-100 with a 390 and 4-11s posi, it would blow chevy trucks with a 350 off the road. couldn't keep rear tires on it

I had a 73 f-100 with one roger...I had the same problem with tires. grin
I had a msd controller on my 351c that allowed me to swing about 10-15* of timing from the seat on a dial. I could retard it to get it turned over to start and then grab as much advance as the fuel would allow. That was the best money I have spent on a Ford ignition. My Cleveland was awesome.
We haven't thrown a bunch of hours at this truck yet, but an hour or 2 here and there, it adds up.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bruinruin Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/18/15
Love the new seats, Dave.
Those are sweet huh? White high backs with arm rests. They are removable too!
Posted By: Sauer200 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/18/15
Dave,
What epoxy are you using to coat/rust proof the undercarriage?
Thanks
Doug
Posted By: tzone Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/18/15
Hot damn I love those trucks!
Originally Posted by Sauer200
Dave,
What epoxy are you using to coat/rust proof the undercarriage?
Thanks
Doug

I'm using 2k epoxy primer, a 1:1 mix ratio. Some areas will get a nail hard chassis coating like the por15 type product for additional protection beyond just epoxy.
Posted By: Sauer200 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/18/15
Thanks!
I am planing on freshening up my Durango. The frame is pretty scaly but solid and I want to coat it with something,
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/18/15
Hot damn I love those trucks!

Me too! When Nate had her up on LOW I stared at it out the window of the fish house and drooled a little bit I think.
I was just in town visiting with my paint supplier.

We are going to try a NASON system on this truck, base clear, black of course. He is mixing the paint for it now.

Also ordered a pair of 25" 2.25 diameter thrush glass packs... because I guess the truck isn't loud enough with my 36" walker glass packs... lol.

Posted By: mathman Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/18/15
You know without major outlay you could "un-retard" the stock cam timing and dial in a few more degrees of initial ignition advance.
I think I read somewhere once that the truck M's didn't retard the cam timing like they did when installed in cars. Supposedly due to the more lenient regs on trucks vs cars, emissions wise....

Supposedly the truck cams were straight up. I dunno, I do have a miloden timing set to correct this if not, I've had it laying around here for many years. I think its for a Cleveland but would fit the M.
Posted By: BigNate Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/19/15
Dave, I think the Boys truck is a 4" Superlift. Steering components are an adventure to be dealt with. May have to do a swap to crossover. The stock power assist stuff is NOT popular and his axle is a HD44 with big hubs. Probably the least common to boot.
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/19/15

He tore it down this far last night, this kid is a hard charger, go-go-go!

grin

No chit! I wonder where the gets that??? 😁😁

Great truck for resto!

BTW, I'm with you on that Emerald Black for the Mustang. There was a kid in my hometown that had a 69 Fastback that color and it was sharp. I'll bet today's paint will make that color even sharper!
Posted By: UNCCGrad Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/19/15
Dave, a buddy of mine sprayed Nason base and clear on my 99 Cummins that had some body damage when I got it. It sprayed pretty well but color matching by the paint codes was crap? After that experience my local O'Reilly matched the existing paint with Nason using their meter and it was a great match.

That doesn't sound like an issue for you here but keep that in mind if you consider it for future projects where trying to match.
Dave, I think the Boys truck is a 4" Superlift. Steering components are an adventure to be dealt with. May have to do a swap to crossover. The stock power assist stuff is NOT popular and his axle is a HD44 with big hubs. Probably the least common to boot.

Hi bignate, are you saying your boy has a truck with 4" super lift or?

Our truck here is the hd44 big hub axle as well. Open knuckle, disk brakes, big hub. It's non common, to say the least...
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
Dave, a buddy of mine sprayed Nason base and clear on my 99 Cummins that had some body damage when I got it. It sprayed pretty well but color matching by the paint codes was crap? After that experience my local O'Reilly matched the existing paint with Nason using their meter and it was a great match.

That doesn't sound like an issue for you here but keep that in mind if you consider it for future projects where trying to match.

I had this discussion earlier today. You are right, I'm not a body shop or a collision repair shop, I'm a restoration shop, I do overalls only, no partial jobs. So, matching isn't part of my deal.

If I like the way the nason sprays and finishes, I may stick with it.
Posted By: White_Bear Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/19/15
I like that bud. Keep it that way as long as possible. I'm sure you'll have no problems.
Posted By: tzone Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/19/15

Also ordered a pair of 25" 2.25 diameter thrush glass packs... because I guess the truck isn't loud enough with my 36" walker glass packs... lol.

really? I thought it was pretty loud. I liked it when you put the exhaust on before he got it. Nate and my dad would get along well! Nothing is too loud. laugh I think he 56 ranch wagon has straight pipes.
Posted By: tzone Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/19/15
Restorations not repairs. I agree!!
Originally Posted by stxhunter

My first vehicle was a beautiful xlt two - tone maroon and white 72 wjth the 390. I could outrun all the cool cars in 1/8mile! Mine wound up wearing a lot of recap tires!
Posted By: BigNate Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/19/15
My boys 75 pickup is the lighter colored one. It is a closed knuckle 44HD with the big hub. The steering is the Garrison type control valve I believe it's called. It sat lower than my 75 but mine has the high pinion small hub 44. I believe mine is technically a "high boy" but he wanted the same height as mine so put a 4" lift on. Now we have to figure out the steering.

Posted By: 458 Lott Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/19/15
Matching colors for repairs is more art than science. Between the effects of UV, heat and oxidation if you get perfect match color yourself lucky.
Nathan got his thrush glasspacks, lol.

Posted By: bruinruin Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/20/15

👍👍
sorry I'm a very bad video guy, just close your eyes and you wont tip over.
Posted By: T LEE Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/20/15
Sounds good.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/20/15
Originally Posted by bruinruin

👍👍

Huh. For some reason my thumbs up icons didn't show up right.

Sounds good, Dave.
Posted By: 4ager Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/20/15

Well, the gas mileage due to idling and gunning the engine in parking areas just went down by about 1/2 again.

Sounds good, though.
Posted By: RWE Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/20/15
Originally Posted by 4ager
Well, the gas mileage due to idling and gunning the engine in parking areas just went down by about 1/2 again.

At this point, the notion of mileage is done.

Rate, as in minutes per gallon, is more appropriate.
Posted By: CRS Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/20/15
Love the 4x4, going to be fantastic.
Posted By: ironbender Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/20/15
Got her singing!
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/20/15
I was just kinda wondering what my old 460 would sound like equipped like that.
This truck was purchased new in Denver. It still has a dealer tag screwed to the tailgate which is in decent shape so we are putting it back on the truck after paint.

Posted By: UNCCGrad Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/20/15
There won't be any late night sneaking out in that rig! Sounds good!
Posted By: tzone Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/20/15
Sounds pretty awesome!
Posted By: BuschPilot Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/20/15
i had those same glass packs on my 69 bronco. wish i had still had that!
the bronco or the glass packs?
Dave and I saw a big ass sportsman with what sounded glass pack, and a lot like nate's truck in the gravel pit by chickenbuck. I'd have to say it sounded pretty good for a Polaris. grin
Posted By: 4ager Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/20/15
Had glass packs like that on a '65 F100, running duals off a 390 and a three-speed on the column.

She'd pass everything but a gas station.

Posted By: TheKid Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/20/15
My 79 bronco wears a pair of 16" glass packs, that I'm certain all the glass is long gone out of. Exits in front of either rear tire with chrome downspouts so the sound echoes off the pavement when you put the coal to it. Yes the radio was nullified with that modification, and the "free flowing" exhaust didn't free up any extra mpg for an 18 year old at the time. Gosh I miss that rig, gonna have to sink a few bucks in it when I get back home and get it looking good again.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: CCCC Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/20/15
Looks like an awful lot of labor and stuff to invest in a F---.
I sure as hell wouldn't do it for a Chevy of the same year! Lmao!
Gonna have a little breakfast then it's time to thrash on ole betty, see if we can get some primer, maybe some paint sprayed.

Posted By: rockinbbar Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/21/15
You keeping it black for the base color?
yes, it will be black again.

hey dave i got an 86 chevy k20 if you wanna class your portfolio up ill drive her up this week grins
Posted By: CCCC Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/21/15

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by CCCC

[Linked Image]

OK, I have a major soft spot for 67-72 gm trucks.
Posted By: CCCC Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/21/15
So do I - much of my fun. These live here, among others.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h366/profinsad/Vehicles/July07005smaller.jpg[/img]
Posted By: tzone Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/21/15
My 79 bronco wears a pair of 16" glass packs, that I'm certain all the glass is long gone out of.

My 79 bronco had a set of "no packs". grin The exhaust was long rusted off. It was a loud, obnoxious vehicle. It drove my buddies neighbor nuts. When I sold it and bought a 76 F150 with a 360 or 390 (never could figure it out) which was equally as loud. The neighbor guy came out and said "do you ever drive anything that's quiet?" grin
Posted By: tzone Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/21/15
I sure as hell wouldn't do it for a Chevy of the same year! Lmao!

You wouldn't be able to.
Did a lot of bed repair. Media blast, then I welded 21 different holes inside the bed area, a mix of drilled holes for things like an old drop ball goose neck plate, hole saw holes for electrical plugs, a 3"x7" hole for the old drop ball.. Solid bed but it was swiss cheese from things a previous owner had done.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I also put these D rings in for the kid, he hauls dirt bikes and stuff, might as well have decent strap points in each corner.

[Linked Image]

Doors are off too.

[Linked Image]

We put an old set of wheels and tires on for the rest of the dirty work. Some light blasting, the priming, painting etc.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

One small hole below the dimmer switch that will need to be cut out and patched.

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...s/IMG_20150321_200434889_zps4ixcbc1w.jpg[/img]

It was a good day, didn't get pics of everything because we were too busy kicking ass.

Posted By: kciH Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/22/15
Awesome to see you doing this with your boy/young man. I had to settle for loading some .32 H&R with mine, but time is time. smile
Posted By: UNCCGrad Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/22/15

[Linked Image]

I drove a 70 step side of my dads in high school. 350 bored 60 over, 3:73 posi rear end with glass packs. It was way too nice of a truck for a teenager to be driving but I used to slide open the back glass on a sunny day and the exhaust note was beautiful...no need for a radio on those days. I'd love to have a 4x4 like this one pictured. I love those 67-72s, more so the 67-70 due to the grilles. Nice ride!
Posted By: CCCC Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/22/15
Did a lot of bed repair. Media blast, then I welded 21 different holes inside the bed area, a mix of drilled holes for things like an old drop ball goose neck plate, hole saw holes for electrical plugs, a 3"x7" hole for the old drop ball.. Solid bed but it was swiss cheese from things a previous owner had done. -- It was a good day, didn't get pics of everything because we were too busy kicking ass.

Good pics. Some interesting challenges there - it is looking good.
Posted By: BigSkyGuy Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/22/15
Here is my old girl. I sold her this summer to my father in law.

'72 F-250, 360 with a 4 speed.

It is a nice old truck, and I'm gonna miss her...

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
the "bump side", very cool!

here's my bump side, like yours its a 360/4 spd.

she's a worker!

[Linked Image]

(ice fishing)
Posted By: 222Rem Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/22/15
Originally Posted by BigSkyGuy

I've got a '72 with the same drivetrain AND the same blue plates. Yours is a little older apparently because mine starts with an "F."
Posted By: tzone Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/22/15
Originally Posted by BigSkyGuy

What a beautiful truck!
Some decent work today.

[Linked Image]

Prepping bottom of bed for epoxy. No we didn't get all of the original undercoating off, all the loose stuff is off tho.

Heavy coat of black epoxy.

[Linked Image]

I cut this little bad spot out of the drivers floor.

[Linked Image]

Made a patch.

[Linked Image]

Weld through primer

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...G_20150322_145754637_HDR_zpscyposh9h.jpg[/img]

Por 15

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...s/IMG_20150322_183239948_zpsnkfpl83h.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...G_20150322_183254633_HDR_zpsnrkuj1dy.jpg[/img]

Undercoating on the belly of the bed after the epoxy dried.

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...s/IMG_20150322_173726026_zps4kpaxq6j.jpg[/img]

Posted By: eh76 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/23/15
Nice! My "old" F250 at this point is a 1996 F250 crew cab whistle
Freshened up the seat.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A few other things were done that we didn't get photos of, decent bit of work for a Sunday.
Posted By: passport Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/23/15
Nice work Dave, I look forward to more pics
Posted By: CCCC Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/23/15
To me, that looks like a LOT of decent work for one day. I would not get that much done. Nice.
That truck will be on the road in no time.

Nice work there.
Posted By: T LEE Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/23/15
Busting azz I say.
Posted By: bubbajay Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/23/15
Did you use one of the "patches" from the mustang.... smile
Nope, fresh new metal.

smile
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/24/15

[Linked Image]

Gawd! I love that truck!
Broke out the lenco for some dent pulling and shrinking. This is a spot welder that has various attachments. Mainly for spot welding but I have a puller shrinker attachment, pictures here.

[Linked Image]

Here's a crease I was working on.

[Linked Image]

This one was too harsh for the little spot weld puller.

[Linked Image]

I welded a washer to that dent and pulled it with my heavier slide hammer.

[Linked Image]

Its a tailgate I'm working on here by the way.

[Linked Image]

Also hit the frame with black epoxy.

[Linked Image]

And test fit the bed sides, marking for plug welds tomorrow.

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...G_20150323_193830931_HDR_zpsppgfxpjx.jpg[/img]

I patched a small hole in the back side of a cab corner and shrunk a high dent.... Didn't get pics of that.

Posted By: UNCCGrad Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/24/15
Great pics Dave, thanks for keeping us updated.
Posted By: Billc Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/24/15
Its worth the effort. good Fords. here is mine. [img:center][Linked Image][/img]
that is a clean ass truck wow!!
Posted By: bcolorado Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/24/15
Dave,when your son is a grand dad he will be telling stories about his dad and his truck and their "adventures" together.

Great thread....
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/24/15
When is Betty scheduled for new makeup?
Before prom, whenever that is?

Pretty cool project.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/25/15
Pretty cool, Dave. You're building more than '65 Mustangs and '77 F-250's there. You're building some well adjusted young people, too.
Thanks, today I worked on a back bumper (refurbishing an old step bumper), I worked on the tail gate some more and I got the 2 grill inserts ready for paint.

Mustang parts were delivered at around 6 on today. The stuff I need to move forward on the Mach 1. So, tomorrow I will be back on the mach 1.

The truck will go back to nights and weekends.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tzone Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/25/15
Wow! It's really looking good gentleman.

Dave, what did you think of those box sides? LMC truck?
So far so good, I haven't welded them on and started bodywork yet, we will see soon enough.
Man, you damned sure don't have to worry about going to a gym, or "working out".

What I'm seeing here is long, almost grueling days of WORK, as in real physical labor.

.....keeps ya' out of the bars, too, don't it ?

GTC
Very true, and yes my body feels like about day 20 of USMC boot camp.

(Sore)
Posted By: Sauer200 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/25/15
Did you save any of the metal patches you cut out of the horse?
I'm going to repair the rockers on my Durango and the color was close.
Sure, I still have them, they are a bit wadded up but they might buff out.
Posted By: tzone Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/25/15
grin
Posted By: Sauer200 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/25/15
Sure, I still have them, they are a bit wadded up but they might buff out.

Shucks. If they were straight I would've bought them.

We hung the bed sides tonight

Prepping a bed side shell, drilling holes for plug welds etc.

[Linked Image]

the other bedside was being marked for plug weld holes.

[Linked Image]

The weld interface areas were sanded clean and hit with a weld through primer just prior to installation of the new panel.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

panel was fit and the welding began.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

a nice mig plug weld looks like a belly button, lol.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

both sides finished tonight.

[Linked Image]

Tomorrow we will fit and weld the outer wheel houses.
she's Lookin awesome, for a ford.....

I wish I had half your talent and ambition.
Posted By: Sauer200 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/27/15
That truck is going to be a functional family heirloom!
wheel house time.

I test fit the outer wheel houses, got them where I was happy with the fit and marked the plug weld spots from the inner wheel house with a paint pen. Then I sanded the spots where I would be plug welding to and hit the spots with weld through primer. I sanded the entire wheel arch lip and hit it with weld through primer as well.

[Linked Image]

From under the bed, I clamped the wheel arch and drove a few sheetmetal screws in on the inner WH side to draw everything tight for plug welding from the top side.

[Linked Image]

Here is the top side after plug welding, you can see the sheet metal screws still poking through from the bottom side. I remove those in a bit.

[Linked Image]

here it is all welded from the bottom side. I drilled the wheel arch holes about every 2.5", clamped and plug welded from under the box.

[Linked Image]

Top side after some light weld grinds.

[Linked Image]

she's really getting solid now.

[Linked Image]

One more outer WH to go and the box is done.

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...s/IMG_20150327_115928288_zpsrzem0j3o.jpg[/img]
Posted By: BuschPilot Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/27/15
hopefully you can get the next one done by 5 tongiht so you can coast a bit for the weekend, It is friday!! keep it up, like to see it on the road again soon.
Oh its done, lol. Shortly after noon.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

She's rock solid now, I am done with the metal work now.

Slap some paint on and call it good, right?
Posted By: Sauer200 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/27/15
Oh its done, lol. Shortly after noon.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

She's rock solid now, I am done with the metal work now.

Slap some paint on and call it good, right?

Nice, I envy your ability to take on multiple projects and get them done.
I'm thinking about taking on a can of Coors light and see if I can't finish that as well.
Posted By: GonHuntin Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/27/15
What kind of seam sealer do you use?
Posted By: tzone Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/27/15
Originally Posted by GonHuntin
What kind of seam sealer do you use?

Lips! Oh you meant the truck, not the Coors can. Sorry. grin
Posted By: 12344mag Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/27/15
Every time I see this thread I get this song going in my head, Thanks Dave!

I'm using what I have on hand which is dominion sure seal joint and seam sealer.

The bed will get epoxy and I believe I will do a spray in bed liner for the kid.

For the wheel house to quarter seam I want to brush a por 15 type product in heavily from the top, let it run into the seam where water and dirt will be trying to go.
Posted By: White_Bear Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/27/15
Get off of your phone/I-pad/computer and get that boy's truck done. We want more pics! I'll take care of the Coors for you. Got it covered.

Don't make me come over there and drink them for you.....
Posted By: safariman Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/27/15
As a guy who used to specialize in high risk auto insurance, waayy back in the 80's shocked

I will not ruin your joy by telling you the one thing that boy's of that age are REALLY good at, is wrecking vehicles cry

Nope, you wont hear it from me..... whistle

That truck is looking terrific! But if it were my son, he would be getting a 200ci straight six, one barrel carb, and three on the tree transmission! And a full roll cage with side or door bars. Maybe a Tonnueu cover that would keep other teenagers out of the bed of the truck, too.

In all seriousness, that is one for him and his heirs to be very proud of.
Its my phone, I got the wi-fi's in the shop now.
Posted By: ironbender Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/27/15
I'm thinking about taking on a can of Coors light and see if I can't finish that as well.

Shirley, you can get beer there! wink
I can, its right out the back door in a paper box.

[Linked Image]

I'm just not sure if its time yet.

And don't call me Shirley.

wink
Good God, man! it ain't even lawn moaner season!

'49 Ford in the background? smile
How the hell did you see that behind all the mustang junk?

51 actually.

Maybe you meant the minty green one. (Surf green actually)

Fiddy fore shevee.
Similar look to the '54 Ford my Dad had.

Vintage!
Posted By: White_Bear Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/28/15
12oz cans????? I thought you were a "pounder" guy.

You know, so there are leftovers for the next day.

I might have to tip back a few High Life's this evening.
Its all I had around.

They are kind of like those little Halloween candy bars, have to have like 5 of them to equal 1 regular candy bar.
Posted By: mathman Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/28/15

If you can get all the way through a can of that you're a tougher man than I am. grin
some refurbed grill inserts.

These are sweet, I cleaned them up, fixhed nicks and dings, primed, shot a silver metallic base, then black in the headlight side, then 2 coats of matte clear (urethane)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

tailgate is coming along.

[Linked Image]

back bumper also got epoxy, silver metallic base, matte clear.

[Linked Image]

Putting on new trim studs since the new bedsides don't have any.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_6890_zpse54dpynh.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_6891_zpsnkxrwoua.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...ads/FB_IMG_1427671578707_zpsj0fdwf83.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/northerndave/Mobile%20Uploads/studweld5_zps2m95i6zp.jpg[/img]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mac84 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/30/15
Mad skills Dave.

Sorry to sidetrack your thread but I have a technical question if you will. I have an aluminum lift gate on my expedition . There's a small spot that is peeled and oxidized. After I sand it smooth, is there something I can spray to keep it from bubbling back up before I paint it
I would think a good quality 2K epoxy prime would be a good start but I would research it to be sure there isn't a better foundation for aluminum.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/30/15
Thank you. Your work is incredible. Love these threads
Posted By: BuschPilot Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/30/15
Are you positive that the lift gate is Aluminum. I didnt think the Expeditions are using aluminum body panels on the expedition until 16'. the f-150 are the first aluminum bodied trucks out. everything else comes after that. I know my sisters expediton has paint coming off the rear hatch as well and looks like its oxidzed aluminum but think its actually steel. What year is your expedition?
Posted By: bruinruin Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/30/15
Originally Posted by BuschPilot
Are you positive that the lift gate is Aluminum. I didnt think the Expeditions are using aluminum body panels on the expedition until 16'. the f-150 are the first aluminum bodied trucks out. everything else comes after that. I know my sisters expediton has paint coming off the rear hatch as well and looks like its oxidzed aluminum but think its actually steel. What year is your expedition?

I can't speak to lift gates, but Ford has been using aluminum skins on some of their hoods for years. I had a 2000 Ranger with an aluminum hood skin and have seen late 90's and early 2000's E series vans with aluminum hood skins, too.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/30/15
frikken awesome Dave !
Cab lights, yes or no?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I primed the box and doors tonight. Epoxy.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: eh76 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/31/15

[Linked Image]
wink

Uh Dave that is canned water.......... sick and not even good water at that!
Posted By: bucktail Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/31/15
I'd vote no on the cab lights. I used to like them back in the day, but anymore, I favor clean lines and simplicity.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/31/15
Dave;
My goodness it's coming along nicely - thanks so much for taking the time to shoot the fine crisp photos and share them with us.

As far as the clearance lights go I'll enter a dissenting or no vote as they seem to be the first place to rust out and/or leak. This just might be an heirloom project you two are building and less spots for moisture to enter will be better two decades from now. wink

Of course that's just one short, bald fellow's opinion on them sir and nothing more. laugh

Thanks so much again for the most enjoyable thread and Happy Easter to you all.

Dwayne
Posted By: kecatt Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/31/15
No on the cab lights. Keep it clean the way Henry intended. Looks good!
Posted By: CRS Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/31/15
I vote no on the cab lights.
Posted By: BigChev4x4 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/31/15
Great work on the truck so far. Looks like it's coming along nicely. I still remember working on my first truck with my dad when I was in HS. I can't wait to do the same when my son is old enough. Thanks for letting us follow the build.

Greg
Posted By: colodog Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/31/15
Cab lights would distract from the paint, I like your paint cool
Cab lights, yes or no?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I primed the box and doors tonight. Epoxy.

[Linked Image]

Old school thought and mine too is no lights. Classic.

However, this is the young man's ride. He has to look good for the ladies. Give the kid some bling. cool smile cool
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/31/15
One vote here for the cab lights. I know you know how to seal them and they will look bad ass.
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/31/15
Dave,

Just checking in and it looks like some wonderful progress and as usual, wonderful attention to detail.

It appears there is either a poll about the top clearance/cab lights or folks just decided to comment. Personally, I'm a fan.

Also, although not a Ford guy, I think I've seen cab visors on Fords as well as GMs. While this one's not a great example, I think they give a truck a little different look.

[Linked Image]

Awesome work as always, it's going to be an awesome beast!
I would not put them on.

The truck looks better with out them.
Another vote for no on the cab lights. but then I'm a fan of clean, no trim or emblems for me.
Posted By: jpb Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/31/15
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
Another vote for no on the cab lights. but then I'm a fan of clean, no trim or emblems for me.

+1

The clean look for me...

John
Posted By: 4ager Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/31/15
No cab lights.
Posted By: T LEE Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/31/15
I like cab lights, do it Dave.

I can't speak to lift gates, but Ford has been using aluminum skins on some of their hoods for years. I had a 2000 Ranger with an aluminum hood skin and have seen late 90's and early 2000's E series vans with aluminum hood skins, too.

the wife and I had a ,IIRC 1997 Taurus,which had an aluminum trunk lid,so they have been doing it for some time.
Posted By: tzone Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/31/15
Yes on the cab lights.

Buschy, the fords, and Rams for that matter have been using aluminum hoods for about 5 years.
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Dave,

Just checking in and it looks like some wonderful progress and as usual, wonderful attention to detail.

It appears there is either a poll about the top clearance/cab lights or folks just decided to comment. Personally, I'm a fan.

Also, although not a Ford guy, I think I've seen cab visors on Fords as well as GMs. While this one's not a great example, I think they give a truck a little different look.

[Linked Image]

I love the look of that truck!
Posted By: BuschPilot Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/31/15
No cab lights either, unless its a new LED light Bar to really light up the Bush! I didnt realize they were aluminum Tom, and i've had alot of them. Just got another last week again. i cant keep up with them changes.
What didya get Buschy?
Posted By: bruinruin Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/31/15
Regarding the cab lights, I agree that the clean look is nice, but this is a 70's 3/4 ton and as such it just has to have those lights.

1 vote for cab lights.
Another for the cab lights....how else will ya find the truck when it snows?
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/31/15
If 4ager is agin 'em, I'm for 'em. Cab lights. laugh laugh laugh Sorry Sean, couldn't resist.

Yes on the cab lights.
Posted By: Waders Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/31/15
Great thread!

No cab lights. This ain't "Pimp My Ride!"
Posted By: Whelenman Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/31/15
yes on the cab lights
Posted By: bcolorado Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/31/15
Cab lights and an 8-track player.
Originally Posted by Whelenman
yes on the cab lights

Denny, for a silly Packers fan, you're alright. grin
only if you have a 3 dog night tape to go in it...
Originally Posted by Bootsfishing
only if you have a 3 dog night tape to go in it...

Now yer talkin'! grin

Posted By: MadMooner Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/31/15
If he plans on selling produce out of the back at the farmers market, yes on the cab lights.

If he wants a badazz truck to pick up chicks, drink beer, and hang out with the boys marking tires in the corn field, no on the cab lights.
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/31/15
Keep the cab lights. No reason to try to look like everybody else!

People that don't like 'em can turn the other way.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
If he plans on selling produce out of the back at the farmers market, yes on the cab lights.

If he wants a badazz truck to pick up chicks, drink beer, and hang out with the boys marking tires in the corn field, no on the cab lights.

MM, you raise a good point. They do kind of stand out at night.

Hey, Dave, how about keeping the lights and wiring a switch in-line to shut them off independently of the headlights?
Posted By: Whelenman Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/31/15
Originally Posted by Whelenman
yes on the cab lights

Denny, for a silly Packers fan, you're alright. grin

I thought everyone was a Packers fan!!!!!!!!!!! laugh

Scott you're spending to much time on the computer!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by Waders
Great thread!

No cab lights. This ain't "Pimp My Ride!"

No it ain't...but the came stock on these trucks.

Which is another reason to keep em! You don't have to fill the holes on the roof. smile
Its a brand new set of lights, we just set them on the roof to see if we like em or not.

They do have a switch so they can be shut off.

We ordered these because they looked so awesome in the photos.

When we got them yesterday we were very surprised how large they were.

Here, I'll post a pic of one next to an OE style light on a different 77 pickup.

[Linked Image]

Because of the arch in the base plate, the new lights will have to be positioned further ahead to match the crown of the roof.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ultimately its up to Nate. Like I told him, we don't have to put them on, if he wants to see how they would look on the finished truck we can set them on the roof again after paint and see what he thinks.

Black Betty currently has a slick roof, didn't come with lights. A lot of these trucks came with them but this truck didn't.
oohhh! if it didn't have them or the holes, I'd leave it for the sake of less work if it were mine. smile
Posted By: add Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/31/15
I like those cab lights.

Perhaps based on the larger size of these and some symmetry with the F-0-R-D lettering, use only 4 instead of 5?

Regardless, neat stuff Dave.
Black Betty currently has a slick roof, didn't come with lights. A lot of these trucks came with them but this truck didn't.

In that case, screw the lights. I was under the impression that all 3/4 tons had 'em. Even my dad's '77 heavy half, or whatever they were called, had lights on the lid.
Yeah, out of the ..... 4? Vintage fords we own.... Betty might be the only one we have that didn't come with the clearance lights.
She's also the tallest one we have, with no damn lift. Lol.

Posted By: ironbender Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/31/15
Ultimately its up to Nate.

Was about to ask what he wanted.

I was for the clearance lights until I saw how big they are. Too big, IMO.

What is Nate's view?
Originally Posted by ironbender

What is Nate's view?

His view will be pretty good with all those lights. grin
Posted By: mathman Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 03/31/15
The cab lights will provide a performance boost.

There, that ought to keep Dave from putting them on. grin
Nate is on the fence, can't decide.

I really think we will have to wait till the truck is painted, set them on there and see what it would look like on the finished truck.

I'm not pressuring him either way.

Couple coats of surfacing primer.

We'll go right to 400 grit with long boards now and I might wet sand to 800 before laying the base down, we'll see how it blocks out first.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Awesome!
Posted By: BFD Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/01/15
cab lights are just one more thing to bust off in the brush. I'd not put'em on.
Posted By: BFD Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/01/15
cab lights are just one more thing to bust off in the brush. I'd not put'em on, but it ain't my truck.
Posted By: shoot4fun Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/01/15
Yes to the cab lights, small size, and spread them out all the way across the roof, not squeezed to center.
Posted By: JGray Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/01/15

I really think we will have to wait till the truck is painted, set them on there and see what it would look like on the finished truck.

Dont know if this helps, but I had a '76 F250 4x4 with a snazzy paint job and cab lights. It got knicknamed the "Whoopie Wagon" by a co-worker... whistle

Originally Posted by JGray

Dont know if this helps, but I had a '76 F250 4x4 with a snazzy paint job and cab lights. It got knicknamed the "Whoopie Wagon" by a co-worker... whistle

So you dated whoopie?

Back in the day?

Another vote against the cab lights. Keep it smoootthhh.
Posted By: Magnum_Man Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/01/15
Back in 79 I was a young single guy and I ordered out a new F-150 4x4 reg cab. It had a 8' box, Ranger pkg step up from Custom it had color coded rubber floor mats ,plaid knit cloth seats, dual battery system , dual tanks, intermittent wipers , ps ,pb, tilt wheel,300 ci 6 cyl, creeper gear 4 spd, with 3.50 gears Dana Limited slip up frt and Traction Lock rear, tint glass and a deluxe factory Ford topper, it was the Jade green metallic color. Damn sharp looking. As I recall it's sheet list was $9734.00 and I bought it outright at $8100. drove it for 11 years and it had 183,000 miles on it when I sold it. Those were the days, that f-150 and I went every where. When you and your son are done remodeling black betty you'll all be as proud of it as I was of mine. Keep the top slick, screw holes in the roof ugh. Magnum Man
Posted By: GeoW Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/01/15
No cab lights... Looks like a wrecker with them things..
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
Back in 79 I was a young single guy and I ordered out a new F-150 4x4 reg cab. It had a 8' box, Ranger pkg step up from Custom it had color coded rubber floor mats ,plaid knit cloth seats, dual battery system , dual tanks, intermittent wipers , ps ,pb, tilt wheel,300 ci 6 cyl, creeper gear 4 spd, with 3.50 gears Dana Limited slip up frt and Traction Lock rear, tint glass and a deluxe factory Ford topper, it was the Jade green metallic color. Damn sharp looking. As I recall it's sheet list was $9734.00 and I bought it outright at $8100. drove it for 11 years and it had 183,000 miles on it when I sold it. Those were the days, that f-150 and I went every where. When you and your son are done remodeling black betty you'll all be as proud of it as I was of mine. Keep the top slick, screw holes in the roof ugh. Magnum Man

You just described the ultimate version of the 73-79 ford pickup.

79 had better steering linkage (78-79).

And the way you ordered it was perfect IMO.

The lighter but torqey 300, so dependable. 3.50 gears, 4 speed, traction devices in both axles... Awesome.

One like that came available near me last week for $1500.... I want it so bad, but I think we have enough of these trucks already, lol.
Posted By: Magnum_Man Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/01/15
You know Dave I thought it was. Could never find what I wanted on a sales lot. Bastard car dealers back then never ordered trucks for stock that had any features I wanted. Everyone of the trucks on a sales lot seemed to have an auto and V8. I never ever had to go inside that 300 at 183k it would be down about a half qt on the oil and I'd just change it. If Ford could have put their EFI in it and cruise on a manual transmission back then it would have been perfect. Some guys I knew never understood the 6cyl part but it would sure roll the torque on smooth and keep you from getting stuck. The truck also had a sliding rear cab window as well as all the windows in the factory topper.Seems like back then I'd wear out a set of tires every 20k until I got smart and put on a set of TOYO Open Country radials. Can't wait to see Betty done. Magnum Man
Your old truck is what I want for myself for a "hunting truck".

The ride is great in those half tons with the coils up front. The steering is nice, no noticeable bump steer.

The 300 is a great engine, very tractorish.and with the manual trans there is no "slippage" or lost rotations in the drive line.

Lighter engine, more room to work under the hood, great torque with the 4" stroke.

None of the engines made big HP in the late 70's. But the 300 wasn't far behind the 351 in HP and the 351 is expensive to mod. These days its easy to mod a 300 if u like. Get a set of efi exhaust manifolds, change out the rocker arms for a little more lift on the stock cam, those 2 things alone help a bunch. Then of course you could go after carb, intake, cam, higher compression pistons etc.

Or just leave it stock and drive it for 300k.

Not everybody needs 500 HP, I know I don't, not in that truck.
I had a 1996 2wd f150 std cab, eddie bauer edition, with the 300-6 w/fuel injection, and a 5 speed manual.
nice truck. drove it to Montana twice deer hunting.
I would have it floored for 5 or 6 hours,wouldnt go faster than 85. laugh
Posted By: White_Bear Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/01/15
I say wait on the cab lights until the paint is dry. Some colors look good with orange on top and some don't. I like the factory style better myself. Ultimately up to the tall boy kid of yours.

What IS NOT up to him is the option of hanging a set of "truck nutz" on the hind end. That would destroy a beautifule ride.

'79 F-series trucks have always been my favorite. If someone were to offer a NIB '79 F-150, I would do whatever possible to make that purchase and have an awesome DD.

I love all of the comforts of my '11 F-350 but I'll always have a huge soft spot for a '79.

Awesome job on Black Betty. I can't wait to see it in person.

I'll see how work goes today but maybe I'll swing by with a box of birthday juice.....
Originally Posted by Whitebear

What IS NOT up to him is the option of hanging a set of "truck nutz" on the hind end.

Ain't got to worry about that.

There's a big difference between being a kid and being a retard.

Lol.
Posted By: tzone Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/01/15
Originally Posted by Whitebear

What IS NOT up to him is the option of hanging a set of "truck nutz" on the hind end.

Ain't got to worry about that.

There's a big difference between being a kid and being a retard.

Lol.

lol
I think the boy would be the last person I'd have to worry about having "truck nuts" on his truck.
My 78 F250 came with cab lights from the factory.

It is the only truck that I have ever seen that rusted out the top of the cab over the windshield in a few years. There is no way that I know of to really seal them to the cab, because they had to be removed to change a burned out bulb.

My vote is no on the lights.

Myron
Posted By: JGray Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/01/15

Originally Posted by JGray

So you dated whoopie?

Back in the day?

I was in my 30's and married at the time, but don't seem to recall any whoopie (but that was along time ago...)
grin

Tailgate seems ready for some color.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: sjr Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/01/15
Good da Coming in a little late on this thread ,but sure glad it did. Bringing back some great memories .
Back in 1978 I brought my first 4wd a 1977 F150 XLT 400M auto , cloth bench seat full load only thing it did have was no air cond.with 15,000 miles in like new condition .I drove that truck till 2005 , about the only thing I didn't change was the dash pad and the frame . Working + owning a wrecking yard sure help out .
My thoughts on a good motor for your truck . Don't waste any $$ on the 351m or 400m motors they are a over sized boat anchor. My first mond to my 400 was to put a Holley 2bl card , recurved
distributor and dual exhaust <that was the best bang for the buck> Still not happy I rebuild the 400 030 over bore ,aftermarket cam , aluim 4bl intake ,carter AFB carb ,port + polish heads. Didn't gain anymore power just used more fuel waste total waste time and $$.
Next power plant was a 428 out a 68 Ford Car , found a round top C-6 tranny out of a 74 F100 4wd <that had a 360> . Rebuilt that 428 bored .030 with aftermarket cam, aluim 4bl intake and same Carter carb ,also ported + polish cyl heads .That was by far the best motor combo , tons of power and decent fuel mileage <15-6 MPG >.
Still not happy I replaced that 428 with a 1970 Vintage 460 < had to change back to the original flat top C-6 tranny> rebuilt that 460 bored .030 10.5 compression ,aftermarket cam, aluim 4bl intake etc etc .
That 460 had tons + tons of raw torque + power ,but being a typical 460 fuel mileage was 9-10 MPG empty or loaded .
Sorry for the long winded post , if you want any more inside info on how to change over to different power train or parts let me know ,as 40+ years at working + owning a wrecking yard I have a few tricks of the trade .
Good luck on your rebuilt .
Cheers

Posted By: Bristoe Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/01/15
None of my business, but I'd pass on the cab lights too.

On the other hand, I think a big chrome roll bar mounted in the bed and snugged up against the cab with a quartet of spotlights across the top rail would set off that black paint job.

,...but that's just me.
That wouldn't be bad, bristoe.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/01/15
Nothing says 70's like a fat roll bar! smile
Posted By: Magnum_Man Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/02/15
Don't know about the roll bar but a nicely made grill guard would surely look great. Magnum Man
Posted By: seal_billy Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/02/15
Imho plain jane wins almost every time with the exception of good wheels. Mickey Thomson CLASSIC IIs look as good as anything on a 4x4 truck.
great big long weekend for the kids, no school friday or monday, so betty will be getting more work done soon!

Posted By: ironbender Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/02/15
Hurry!
Prom's a-comin'!!!
I will vote no to the cab lights too. I'm partial to smoothies ;-). I also agree with Bristoe in regard to the roll bar with a row of flood lights.
I spent a little time with the blocks on the surfacing primer, on bedsides.

Not too bad, better than I expected actually.

[Linked Image]

here's a little low spot that looks like it will block out in the primer level.

[Linked Image]

this is why you surface and level new panels (and old ones) with blocks. this is just a couple swipes with the long block, you can see all the highs and lows. that was a new panel, taken to bare metal, epoxy primed and 2 coats of hi build urethane surfacing prime.

[Linked Image]

if we would have shot color and clear on this, especially being black.... ripples and waves....

She's leveling out really nice though, should be a nice straight truck.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TheKid Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/03/15
Just keep in mind that the rollbar should only be screwed to the bed itself just like they were in the 80's. Wouldn't want it actually doing anything but looking cool. Don't forget to chrome the leaf springs and differential covers while your at it. smile

And be careful talking about those almighty 300s Seafires gonna get all horned up.
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/03/15
Just keep in mind that the rollbar should only be screwed to the bed itself just like they were in the 80's. Wouldn't want it actually doing anything but looking cool. Don't forget to chrome the leaf springs and differential covers while your at it. smile

And be careful talking about those almighty 300s Seafires gonna get all horned up.

That's a Ford, not a Toyota. whistle
Posted By: ironbender Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/03/15
Good thing this is your J-O-B Dave.

I'd have that thing painted and marking pavement!
Posted By: Magnum_Man Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/03/15
Dave, you ever see one of those body tools they use to pull in the sheet metal on the outer box wall to form a indent for a frt gas tank fill? Magnum_Man
Sounds like a dimple die?

(not my picture)

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BMT Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/03/15
Saw this and thought of this Thread:

Big Red F-100

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: BMT Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/03/15
Interior view:

[Linked Image]

Posted By: BC30cal Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/03/15
sjr;
Good afternoon and Happy Easter to you and your crew sir.

Funny in that when I first began to read this thread on Dave's son's truck I thought to myself - "Well I rode in a white one a couple times that really went pretty good" grin

All the best to you folks and again Happy Easter.

Dwayne
I blocked out the bed sides, they came very close to perfect. I decided to just hit it with another coat of primer and final block it tomorrow.

[Linked Image]

The rest of the cab was sanded to bare metal today, we got the tailgate back in the booth to get some silver base on the raised ford letters and we also refurbished the original dealership tag which was a bit flakey from age. We decided to keep it, clean it up, paint it silver and we will high gloss clear it before putting it back on the tailgate where the dealer had it when they sold the truck new out if Denver.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Also got the first round of blocking done on the doors. I will prime these again tomorrow, very shallow low spots, not really worth getting out the glazing filler in my opinion.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: eh76 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/04/15
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Dave,

[Linked Image]

Yep on the cab lights. Have one crew cab with and one without. I like the lights.

Visor is a no go ...one pheasant and it is gone!
We like the lights, we just don't like these lights on this truck. They are huge, we may exchange for a set of the factory type lights.

The photo in the catalog we ordered from were very misleading, made these lights look the same size, possibly even smaller than the factory type. We got these lights and opened the package.... Wtf? They are like twice the size we thought they would be, lol.
Originally Posted by BMT

Big Red F-100

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That is bad ass.

Love it.
Posted By: jimy Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/04/15
And with LED bulbs they will be very bright, maybe more than you want, I'm thinking a clean roof line, on a truck this straight.
Posted By: ironbender Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/04/15
Hey Dave!

Happy Berfday!

(again)
Originally Posted by BMT

Big Red F-100

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That is bad ass.

Love it.
my friends dad had an original 57(IIRC) ford 4x4 that looked a lot like that.
40 was about top speed,though.
I think the engine was a 231 4 cylinder
Originally Posted by fluffy
Originally Posted by BMT

Big Red F-100

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That is bad ass.

Love it.
my friends dad had an original 57(IIRC) ford 4x4 that looked a lot like that.
40 was about top speed,though.
I think the engine was a 231 4 cylinder

57 would have been in the "fridge" era body style, which would have that high square fender opening front and back where this red one has the tear drop front fender and the high square back fender opening. This was pretty common into the early/mid 60's to see trucks with the old style bed sides and the "newer" style cab and front fenders.

That red truck is in the 61-63 range. You will see them in the 61-63 range with tear drop fender arches front and rear, and also a mix of fender styles like this one has.

The bed on this one is the style they had in 57-60.

By 64 it seems like they had used up all the old box sides and they went with a new low cut rear wheel arch on fleetsides.

Could your 231 4 banger have been maybe a 223 6 banger?

the "mileage maker 6"?
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/04/15
Ford trucks have always been known for their outstanding fuel economy. laugh
coffee out my nose.... on my birthday... thanks!

lol!

grin

(4th birthday this week)
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/04/15

57 would have been in the "fridge" era body style,

Like this?

57's the first year of the "fridge" body style, first year for the "style side" bed, first year 4WD was offered from the factory although Ford farmed the conversion out, and the only year the "fridge" came with single headlights.
The original "High Boy".

Don't ask me how I know all this mundane trivia.

[Linked Image]

And those 6 cylinder engines were also found in Farm Fresh milk trucks and 62 Ford Country Sedans.

The milk trucks has a governor on them and when removed and installed in the station wagon would haul the mail down the highway,while skipping school,going to the river.

Man good times in the chick machine. grin

And it would get to 95 easy.
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

57 would have been in the "fridge" era body style,

Like this?

57's the first year of the "fridge" body style, first year for the "style side" bed, first year 4WD was offered from the factory although Ford farmed the conversion out, and the only year the "fridge" came with single headlights.
The original "High Boy".

Don't ask me how I know all this mundane trivia.

[Linked Image]

Yep, just like that.

A young guy not far from me has a 2wd sort bed fridge for sale. $2200 asking price, runs and drives, Y block V8... lots to work with, I think it's a 59.

I'm very tempted by it....

thinking crown vic alum crossmember swap, 4 link rear... bigger power....

I need some money for all these ideas, lol.

This one actually has the 223 (single barrel with glass bowl and all)and a granny 4sd.
It was the cheap (farm equipment) model with a painted grill but the guy I got it from put the chrome V-8 grill in it.
It tops out at about 60 with a good tail wind.

Funny how things have changed over the years. The only option this one had is a heater. No radio,,, not even a hole in the dash where one might go,,, but a cigarette lighter was standard equipment.
Priorities.

Lol

I have a running 223 in a 4 door 64 galaxie. Neat little engines.
BTW,,,, those factory mirrors (in decent shape) are a bitch to find.
I'm still looking for one.

[Linked Image]
Another oddity,,,, only one door is keyed. The passenger side.
This M-F'r is gonna be straight!

I mean its so level.... Flatter than a diet Pepsi.

Son of a, now that's flat!

[Linked Image]

Posted By: rockinbbar Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/04/15
That will look awesome with some slick black!
Posted By: BuschPilot Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/05/15
Looks good Dave. Keep it coming!
Posted By: Whelenman Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/05/15
Is that five birthdays in a row Dave. You're going to pass me!!!! smile
I think its only 4 in a row, so far....

grin
Posted By: TheKid Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/05/15
That old 4x4 is the best FieldGrade. Every time you post pics it has me drooling.
Happy Easter everybody!

Some folks are coloring eggs today, I'm coloring a truck box and a tailgate!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ready Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/05/15
Holly, ... more black d make it invisible.

Posted By: Whelenman Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/05/15
That is even prettier than the other 3 cars. And it's not even done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Bristoe Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/05/15
If da kid shows up to pick up his prom date in that snarlin', classic, pristine F250, he's gonna need a rubber.

I'd buy him a 3 pack just to be on the safe side.
Wow, that truck looks friggen awesome.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
If da kid shows up to pick up his prom date in that snarlin', classic, pristine F250, he's gonna need a rubber.

I'd buy him a 3 pack just to be on the safe side.

Quote worthy.

Lmao!
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/05/15
How come you painted it black?

That's racist.

BTW,,,,, if the truck's not completed by prom night does your boy have to repeat 12th grade?
Nathan says the awesome levels are quite high for him right now.

I like this clear so far, its still flowing.

[Linked Image]

We put textured rocker guard on the lower section, that's why the extreme orange peel suddenly along the bottom.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
How come you painted it black?

That's racist.

BTW,,,,, if the truck's not completed by prom night does your boy have to repeat 12th grade?

He's a junior, he'll take a run at 12th grade next year.

grin
Looks great boys! R u texturing the box inside as well? Line x maybe?
Yes, we ate going to try a SEM product for Bedliner.
U should maybe take on Berliner's too at yr place. At least it would be done correctly! Can't wait to see it Complete
Making shine

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Redneck Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/06/15
I think I see a pimple on yer forehead...

laugh laugh
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/06/15
Yowsa!
that SOB is SMOOTH as the head cheerleaders thigh! nice work!
Posted By: safariman Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/06/15
WOW!

I SO have to hire you to properly re do my dads '66 Caddy convertable some day.

That truck just SO rocks.....

This thread reminds me of the car projects my dad and I did together. Nothing this spectacular of course, but the memories are life long and treasured.

Good on ya, man.
Posted By: Sauer200 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/06/15
It's that Wizard's detail spray. laugh You can't fool us. wink
Posted By: norm99 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/06/15
Its a brand new set of lights, we just set them on the roof to see if we like em or not.

They do have a switch so they can be shut off.

We ordered these because they looked so awesome in the photos.

When we got them yesterday we were very surprised how large they were.

Here, I'll post a pic of one next to an OE style light on a different 77 pickup.

[Linked Image]

Because of the arch in the base plate, the new lights will have to be positioned further ahead to match the crown of the roof.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ultimately its up to Nate. Like I told him, we don't have to put them on, if he wants to see how they would look on the finished truck we can set them on the roof again after paint and see what he thinks.

those cab lights are almost as big as the ones on my Sterling [Ford ] gravel truck. to big for a pickmeup.

super fine work there Dave.

norm
Its not a bad shine, should be good enough for a teenager's truck?

[Linked Image]

Like I said to my kid, "I don't know how we got it so straight and shiny, guess we just got lucky?"

grin
Posted By: Sauer200 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/06/15

Like I said to my kid, "I don't know how we got it so straight and shiny, guess we just got lucky?"

grin

If that's the case then I'll drive my Durango up and have you rub some of that "luck" on it!

Seriously, I envy your skills and faith in yourself to make the leap that you did.
Posted By: BuschPilot Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/06/15
have to tell nate it aint going to get done with him standing all by himself back there watching over you. tell him to put the doughnut down and get the old man a beer!! cant wait to see it Dave, You guys do great work!
He made me lunch, couple a beer brats.

This truck is going to be flat out sinister.

Good gawd all myteeeee, he is going to have old guys trying to buy that truck off of him every time he stops to fill up with gas.

Posted By: ratsmacker Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/06/15
^^^^^^^^^Yeah, he damned straight IS gonna have to fight off prospective buyers.
Posted By: BuschPilot Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/06/15
triple/double roll bar would really make it to i think. no need for cab lights, can you get some new retro LED headlights to go in there too.
Posted By: BarryC Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/06/15
You better put a big scratch on it before you roll it out of the shop or the kid is never going to be able to take it off road!
He's already looking at it and wondering how the hell he's going to get out to deer camp without getting it dirty!

Lol!
Posted By: 264mag Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/06/15
I'd be willing to bet that within thirty days he'll be looking for another hunting/off-road/goofing off truck, because this one is just way too nice to do that kind of thing with. At least that's what I'd do (or at least I've used that excuse). Very, Very nice truck!
I made the mistake of letting my 16 yr old son read this thread. Now he's alternating between looking at his truck and looking at me. I think he's trying to weigh the difference between it's potential and my lack of autobody skills. I'm pretty sure that one way or the other, this thread is going to cost me a few $. smile
Posted By: ironbender Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/06/15
Well, Dave...that doesn't look too terrible. I guess if that's the best you can do, it'll be OK!
Posted By: ironbender Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/06/15
And, happy berfday!

(yet again)
Posted By: mathman Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/07/15
He made me lunch, couple a beer brats.

This truck is going to be flat out sinister.

Good gawd all myteeeee, he is going to have old guys trying to buy that truck off of him every time he stops to fill up with gas.

Given the nature of the motor, that will be often.
nice work,Dave, give yourself a raise.
Sure ain't got any cash coming in on this one, so the raise will have to wait.

But its still fun.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: double tap Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/07/15
You, sir, are an artist...
Posted By: T LEE Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/07/15
UH Dave, could you squirt some paint on my '02 KIA Sportage? It is pretty sunburned and has a few dings from old farts in parking lots.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: White_Bear Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/07/15
That truck is sooooo cool. No way that is a woods truck now. Are you going to install removable body panels just incase the boy wants to use it for things other than making others drool uncontrollably?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: UNCCGrad Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/07/15
Dave, is that the Nason paint on there? If so it looks damn good for a budget line paint! Can't wait to see the final result.....outstanding so far.
Posted By: tzone Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/07/15
He'll need a license plate that says "plnwool"
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
Dave, is that the Nason paint on there? If so it looks damn good for a budget line paint! Can't wait to see the final result.....outstanding so far.

Yes its nason ful base B/C and select clear 498-00.

I had the panels dry blocked to 400 grit on a urethane surfacing primer and I decided to go for it without sealer. So I sprayed the base with no sealer, rolling the dice a bit...

I soon found that pigment wise I was fine, but there is no film build to this base, absolutely no filling/building properties. So I ended up shooting 3 coats of color to help bridge the 400 grit cross cut sanding scratches, then I also put 3 coats of clear on.

Its going to work out fine and for the sake if consistency I will finish the rest if the truck the same way.

I will use this topcoat package on my next project, but I will use a sealer next time.

I don't want to mislead anybody into thinking they will make this shine with these products right out of the gun, it doesn't quite work that way.

Take the time of a base clear paint job and multiply x 2.5 for the time some poor bastaerd has to wet block and buff it all. Lol!

But, its worth it.

Like I told Nathan yesterday, you can't come this close to full blown awesome and just say "this is good enough".

Its the difference between

"hey kid, nice truck."

And a jaw dropping

"hey kid.... Who's truck is that?"

Kid say, "its mine"

"Haha, yeah... No really, who's truck is that?"

grin
Posted By: BuschPilot Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/07/15
Looks gorgeous Dave. The truck of course! What's next for it?
Posted By: DocRocket Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/07/15

Take the time of a base clear paint job and multiply x 2.5 for the time some poor bastaerd has to wet block and buff it all. Lol!

But, its worth it.

Yes, it certainly appears to be worth it!! Beautiful job, amigo.

Its the difference between

"hey kid, nice truck."

And a jaw dropping

"hey kid.... Who's truck is that?"

Kid say, "its mine"

"Haha, yeah... No really, who's truck is that?"

grin

No chitt, my friend. I have a feeling your son already knew how much you love him, but if he didn't before, I'm sure he does now...
Looks gorgeous Dave. The truck of course! What's next for it?

I'm finishing buffing on bedsides this morning.

I have an SEM pro-tex bed liner system to put in, I may start that this afternoon.

Then of course it's cab, doors, front clip.

I'd like to be assembling the truck this coming weekend. Have to see how long I can keep up the pace.
Where do you get the time to work on the truck with all of the birthday parties you've been having?
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/07/15
Got damn son! That thing is gonna be bad ass!

Oh and Happy Berfday!
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/07/15
Dave, my son does that type work. I hope he gets as good as you are. He does good though... But experience counts. And you got that. Hat's off to you, Sir! smile

Some of my son's projects.

[Linked Image]

Different car. Same owner.

[Linked Image]

Mustang

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Wow, that's awesome!
Posted By: Redneck Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/07/15
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

[Linked Image]

Dang.. I can't recall the year of that one, but I had a '69 E-type with the 4.2 in it..

Yeah, they had electrical issues - but those E-types turned heads everywhere they went..

Nice car sir.. smile
How's this look?

Bed liner on top and on the step plate of the back bumper.

[Linked Image]

Tailgate

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/07/15
Slick! smile
That boy any whoever gets to ride with him are going to be the proudest kids in the county & more.

Jee-wiss ND. Now the other dads are going to be mad at you.
Keep this up and you might be able to get a job. smile

Looking like a head turner.

Or lining up to pay him a lot of money to build them a truck like that.
Posted By: White_Bear Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/08/15
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

Or lining up to pay him a lot of money to build them a truck like that.

I don't doubt that one bit. Lots of money to be made with ND's skills.
Posted By: T LEE Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/08/15
AMEN THAT! I am ever in awe of his work.
Come on, its just elbow grease.

But thanks.

We finished the bed liner.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: UNCCGrad Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/08/15
This thing is gonna be bitchin'!
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/08/15
Hey Dave! Have a great birthday! Wow!
Thanks, I don't party as hard as I did 6 or 7 birthdays ago, but I'm still having a beer.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/08/15
Great job as always Dave. You make it look so much easier than it is.

My dad has an FJ40 sitting in his barn that 30 minutes of rust repair and one of your paint jobs would turn into a very nice rig. According to Bing maps, it's only a 3500 mile round trip from his barn to Minneapolis (not sure where you're at). Maybe when I retire, and have the time to ice fish for a month so I don't have to make TWO round trips. crazy
Posted By: SuperCub Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/08/15
Tagged .... Great thread!
Posted By: BuschPilot Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/08/15
Looks really good Dave. Wont be long and i'll see that ripping all over town, see if he can smoke them wheels off! i Hear he tends to do that once in a while! The truck will certainly be a dandy as you do impressive work with those vehicles.
Posted By: 4ager Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/08/15
northern_dave,

So, are you going to put the 12V air compressor under the seat for him, and the inflatable mattress rolled up in the bed, or is that for him to do as a modification later?

wink

I don't get it?

bahhh-haaa-haaa!

Things are looking good this morning. I'm glad that I used toothpicks to prop up these D rings last night, otherwise they would have been glued pretty firmly in place because this stuff hardened up really nice.

[Linked Image]

Here's where we did the tape line up top.

[Linked Image]

I'm pretty happy with it, I see why these aren't cheap. They are kind of a pain in the butt.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BuschPilot Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/08/15
i wanted to do that with my truck too but to color match was another 250 over the regular price. looks good!
Posted By: tzone Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/08/15
That truck is quite amazing Dave.
Posted By: ironbender Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/08/15
Spray-in liner?

How slick is the surface of the liner? Will things stick a little or slide?
Looks so good now.
One has to wonder will cup holders be next? grin
Posted By: add Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/08/15
Spray-in liner?

Float a piece of 5/8" marine plywood.
The liner is a high solids catalized urethane, its rubbery. Dense, not like the cheap DIY liner kits that are kind of like undercoating. This stuff is tough, it would be grippy for your boots when wet but I think its hard enough that you can slide stuff on without it gouging and cutting in.

I like it.

If I fix one of these trucks up for myself one day I would use this same product again in mine.
Posted By: ironbender Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/08/15
Thanks, Dave.
Posted By: DocRocket Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/08/15
Originally Posted by Redneck

[Linked Image]

Dang.. I can't recall the year of that one, but I had a '69 E-type with the 4.2 in it..

Yeah, they had electrical issues - but those E-types turned heads everywhere they went..

Nice car sir.. smile

Very nice car, indeed!!

The 69-71 E-type 4.2L ragtop was one of the most beautiful performance sports cars ever made. I lusted after one for many years. But owning one with the Lucas (Prince of Darkness) Electric wiring harness would be a nightmare. A full resto with modern wiring and Weber carbs, though, would be another story!

That deep red paint job was not available from the factory, IIRC!!!
Posted By: DocRocket Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/08/15
The liner is a high solids catalized urethane, its rubbery. Dense, not like the cheap DIY liner kits that are kind of like undercoating. This stuff is tough, it would be grippy for your boots when wet but I don't think its hard enough that you can slide stuff on without it gouging and cutting in.

I like it.

If I fix one of these trucks up for myself one day I would use this same product again in mine.

What was the brand name of the urethane liner you used?
I had a typo in my previous post, I meant to say its hard enough for heavy stuff to be slid on it without cutting in. Seems like its damn near hockey puck hard.

Its an SEM product called pro-tex.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BMT Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/10/15
Happy Birthday

You 100 yet?

Nice bed liner, BTW
According to my string of fake birthdays, I'm barely mid 50's

Sure its a fake mid 50's....

I'm actually much younger, but I feel way older.
Posted By: ironbender Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/10/15
Much too young to feel this damn old.
Or the other way around... Either way, I'm pretty sure its got some age and some pain.

Posted By: Akbob5 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/10/15
I had a typo in my previous post, I meant to say its hard enough for heavy stuff to be slid on it without cutting in. Seems like its damn near hockey puck hard.

Its an SEM product called pro-tex.

[Linked Image]

Cool looking stuff for sure!
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/10/15
According to my string of fake birthdays, I'm barely mid 50's

Sure its a fake mid 50's....

I'm actually much younger, but I feel way older.

Best enjoy "young" while you can cause you ain't never gonna be this young again.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/10/15
Spray-in liner?

Ask after prom night............... grin
Posted By: ironbender Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/10/15
Uff-da.
Hi guys.

We have been working on the truck, racing for the finish line.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Blocking tomorrow, maybe some color.
Posted By: tzone Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/11/15
Lookin good man!
Uh, did he get a date yet? whistle

And Happy Birthday by gosh!
Posted By: TheKid Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/11/15
Roughly what would a freshen up like this cost a guy Dave? I plan to do a makeover on my 79 bronco at some point in the next few years and want to do it right unlike the last time when I was a poor high school kid.

It's got a little rust over the rear wheels and of course the inch wide strip on the bottom of the tailgate. The motor would need a little freshening too but the heads were done about 15k miles ago and it doesn't use oil. Wouldn't want anything super fancy just nice paint and interior bed lined if it could be color matched.

Ballpark estimate would be appreciated as I know you'd need to see it for a real quote.
Posted By: White_Bear Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/11/15

[Linked Image]

I always took you for a blue tape kind of guy rather than green.
Blue is junk.

Only good for decorating rifle muzzles.
Posted By: ingwe Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/11/15
Looking good ND! laugh

BTW: Happy Birthday!

Man, it seems you are getting old quick.....

Seems like only last m,onto you were a young man....now look at how many birthdays have come and gone since then!
I don't even know how old I am anymore, only as old as you feel, right?
Posted By: tzone Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/11/15
Wow, I guess I'm 78 this morning then. laugh
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/11/15
You get more done in a week than must of us do in a year!
Posted By: TLB2 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/12/15
Great job. Going to be a helluva nice truck.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...G_20150412_155344509_HDR_zps6ta2bf5y.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...G_20150412_155412088_HDR_zpswkd49c2q.jpg[/img]
Posted By: Bristoe Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/12/15
Roughly what would a freshen up like this cost a guy Dave?

"Freshen up", he calls it.

lolol,....
Man...doin her right!
Posted By: Bristoe Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/12/15
Callin' what Dave does to a vehicle a "freshen up" is like callin' a heart transplant "a few stitches in the chest area".
Posted By: tzone Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/12/15
It's lookin better with it all freshened up like that!
Posted By: White_Bear Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/12/15
Do have any recent Ford pics tzone?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Fresher than fock.
Posted By: T LEE Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/13/15
AWESOME as is par for your work Dave.
Posted By: DocRocket Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/13/15
WOW! Dave, I'd always heard a hi-gloss black paint job was the most unforgiving of any... but you make it look like child's play. Beautiful gloss on those quarter panels, man!

Oh, and thanks for the brand name on the bed liner... gotta get me some of that.
Looking good!

Kids going to be driving a $30K truck in no time..

Happy Birthday to you too!

Mike
Posted By: 79S Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/13/15

Fresher than fock.

That is a great looking truck I would love to find a 74 Ford hi-boy with the 1ton running gear under it. Please educate us dumb Alaskans on what an off the frame restoration like this would cost??
If this truck came to me off the street and I ordered the very same stuff we put into this truck and applied the same amount of hours, it would be real close to $9000

Is it worth it? I don't know. But that's what it would cost. Is a used Harley Davidson road king worth $9000? I don't know, but that's what a lot of them cost too. Depends on what a person likes I guess.

Is somebody else's truck going to need the very same stuff? Maybe, some might need less, some might need more.

What would it cost at someone else's shop? I have no idea.

Some shops might need 20k for what I did.

I'm not trying to get rich or screw anybody over at my shop, just trying to make an honest living.

I don't know if there are many good ole boys willing to sink that kind of coin into their old pickup truck.

I sure like building trucks though. The interior work is minimal compared to most cars.

That and I really like old trucks.

Posted By: tzone Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/13/15
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Looking good!

Kids going to be driving a $30K truck in no time..

Happy Birthday to you too!

Mike

I hope someone offers him $30k for that truck!
Posted By: 338rcm Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/13/15
Happy Birthday Dave!!!

Now get to work!!
10-4!

Birthday, birthday, birthday!

Work, work, work!
Posted By: Ready Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/13/15
I think, you do not need to be apologetic about your work. Your are much more than a craftsmen - more of an artesian.

A thought:

"I really would like to be rich, so I could appreatiate talent and help making sure it survives by paying fair in all resorts prices."

This would include a truck by Shaw Classic Autoworks - shipped to Europe, hand delivered. All expences paid. Just to have you show me all the bells and whistles and here you say: "Hold my Beer and watch this."

The Beer would most probably be either a Radeberger or a Hasseröder from Tab.

Thats what I would do.

Later I would go pick up Darcy Echols up in that truck at the Airport, delivering a Legend.

Thats what I would do.

Albeit - words of thanks is all I got. Probably for the best...

Have a great birthday.

Thank you.

I started a thread and threw a few in it. Not eve close to quality enough to belong in this thread!

I started a thread and threw a few in it. Not eve close to quality enough to belong in this thread!

That's silly talk Tom.

You built exactly what you wanted, you had a vision from the beginning of your project and you followed through exactly to plan.

Like I said, I can't wait to see your truck with some Bambi fluids leaking from the back bumper area.

cool

Originally Posted by Ready
I think, you do not need to be apologetic about your work. Your are much more than a craftsmen - more of an artesian.

A thought:

"I really would like to be rich, so I could appreatiate talent and help making sure it survives by paying fair in all resorts prices."

This would include a truck by Shaw Classic Autoworks - shipped to Europe, hand delivered. All expences paid. Just to have you show me all the bells and whistles and here you say: "Hold my Beer and watch this."

The Beer would most probably be either a Radeberger or a Hasseröder from Tab.

Thats what I would do.

Later I would go pick up Darcy Echols up in that truck at the Airport, delivering a Legend.

Thats what I would do.

Albeit - words of thanks is all I got. Probably for the best...

Have a great birthday.

Thank you.

I'm in, let's do it!

grin
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/13/15
Dave, I think the $9k price would be very fair. In most cases I believe it would be less than what you would expect to pay, especially with the top quality work you do.

There's no equal to a job that is done by a guy that cares about what he's doing.
Final blocking on this huge hood before color and clear.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mathman Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/13/15
Originally Posted by Ready

He has a well of talent all right. grin
Good lord! Lol
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/13/15
Dave, I think the $9k price would be very fair. In most cases I believe it would be less than what you would expect to pay, especially with the top quality work you do.

There's no equal to a job that is done by a guy that cares about what he's doing.

Amen, to that !!
Night shift.

Paint it black.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: add Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/14/15
Posted By: Bristoe Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/14/15
Put dat sumbitch tagether and take a picture of it!

,...hail far,...
Posted By: local_dirt Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/14/15
Hey Dave,
Are you doing all that exterior spray, too?? Looks pretty darn good!
Posted By: colodog Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/14/15
[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=aGeFf_rIAVQ[/video]
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Hey Dave,
Are you doing all that exterior spray, too?? Looks pretty darn good!

Doing it all.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Will it be matte black when it dries?

hehehe
I hope not
Those jump benches are great to have around aren't they.....definitely like the textured across the bottoms...
Originally Posted by add

Hell yeah!

Posted By: BuschPilot Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/14/15
looking good dave, lets see more today!!
It'll look better after a hunting season of driving through brush. laugh My Tacoma got it good last year,even though I tri ed to avoid it.
Posted By: KFWA Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/14/15
I have been looking at the pictures but not doing much reading so I may have missed this

you doing anything to rebuild the motor?
Posted By: UNCCGrad Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/14/15
That rock coating on the rockers looks about as good as my final paint would on the rest of the truck 😄.
Last nights parts flowed out really nice. It will cut down on my wet sanding and buffing time.
Originally Posted by KFWA
I have been looking at the pictures but not doing much reading so I may have missed this

you doing anything to rebuild the motor?

Possibly later this summer.

The kid is really transitioning into a mature vision for this truck. I'm very much respecting his new desire to simply freshen up the 351 with a standard bore re ring (if it clean enough and no groove) improve the cam, dual plane aluminum intake, smaller 4 barrel with elect choke, possibly a bit of head porting and of course fresh bearings, gaskets, paint detail the engine bay.

I'm thinking this truck will be his baby.
Posted By: tzone Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/14/15
Well if he doesn't want it to be baby, I'd be happy to buy it and make it my baby. It's perfection as far as I'm concerned for an old truck.
Posted By: White_Bear Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/14/15
Sweet baby Jesus that thing is purddy.

Old Ford truck- $1500
ND resto- $9000
Brand new truck- $10,500
Awesomness of it all- $Priceless$

I'll be bringing one over shortly. smile
I see a gray truck and I want to paint it.......
BLACK!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BuschPilot Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/15/15
SPLENDID!!
I am done spraying paint on this sumbich.

Ended up spraying 2.5 gallons (of clear) on the outside of this truck.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: White_Bear Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/14/15
You poor soul.....

That tall boy is one lucky sumbish (with all due respect) and I can't wait to see what the preacher gets for a project. You should have your hooks well into the business by then so we're looking for the same if even better. Not to set the bar even higher. :}
Posted By: TLB2 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/14/15
Dave its shaping up nicely.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: eh76 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/15/15
Veddy nice!
Posted By: T LEE Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/15/15
In a word, AWESOME!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tzone Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/15/15
Freaking awesome!
Posted By: bruinruin Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/15/15
Looking good and then some.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/15/15
Dave;
Good evening to you my cyber friend, I hope you folks are well and again thanks for sharing the photos of your son's pickup.

All I can say is whistle whistle whistle

My goodness that's going to be a sharp 4x4.

Thanks again and all the best to you and yours.

Dwayne
Thank you Dwayne, best to you and yours as well.

Posted By: TheKid Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/15/15
Spectacular Dave. Your boy is gonna have the sharpest looking ride around.

Have you guys done the engine work yet?
Posted By: 79S Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/16/15
If this truck came to me off the street and I ordered the very same stuff we put into this truck and applied the same amount of hours, it would be real close to $9000

Is it worth it? I don't know. But that's what it would cost. Is a used Harley Davidson road king worth $9000? I don't know, but that's what a lot of them cost too. Depends on what a person likes I guess.

Is somebody else's truck going to need the very same stuff? Maybe, some might need less, some might need more.

What would it cost at someone else's shop? I have no idea.

Some shops might need 20k for what I did.

I'm not trying to get rich or screw anybody over at my shop, just trying to make an honest living.

I don't know if there are many good ole boys willing to sink that kind of coin into their old pickup truck.

I sure like building trucks though. The interior work is minimal compared to most cars.

That and I really like old trucks.

I think a lot of us guys who had these trucks when we were 18 and they needed a lot of work but we didn't have the money but now days we have the resources and money saved up would do it. My first truck when I was 18 was a 73 chevy 1/2 ton with a 4spd and 205 transfer case. I stuffed a 454 in it. Had the 12 bolt rebuilt and what not but the truck itself needed a lot of loving being a broke 18yr old I salvaged parts off other trucks and spray painted in primer gray lol. So I would like to find a truck like my first one and have what you done to your sons truck done.
That's pretty much how it goes with the classic cars and muscle cars.

I think its easier sometimes to spend the money on those because the market has found its appropriate level, value wise which coincides nicely with what needs to be invested in the cars.

The same might be true for these trucks, not sure.

The market itself is very clouded and murky for these trucks.

Filled with too many personal touches that don't necessarily bring value.

(People spend piles of cash doing stupid stuff that actually hurts the value)

Posted By: ajmorell Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/16/15
Good Lord, that thing is sexy. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!
Posted By: KFWA Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/16/15
its also a rolling advertisement for your business
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/16/15
Damn, what good is a 4x4 you can't drive down a gravel road? He's gonna be too scared to drive it down a road that might throw up some rocks on that beautiful paint job (and yes, I saw the rocker panels). Heck, my factory stock pickup has rock chips all up and down the sides from driving on GOOD gravel roads. What's gonna happen when he gets it off-road when deer huntin' or such?

It's turning into a "town truck", you know, a truck that's never off the concrete or asphalt because it might get muddy or "hurt". Sigh.
Posted By: rem141r Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/16/15
$9k for all that work is very reasonable. i had a 94 supercab xlt that didn't need that much work and the quote was $9500. i loved that old truck but not that much. i wish i had the time, shop, tools, skill and patience for that kind of work. i have none of that but i write a mean check.
Posted By: bubbajay Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/16/15
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Damn, what good is a 4x4 you can't drive down a gravel road? He's gonna be too scared to drive it down a road that might throw up some rocks on that beautiful paint job (and yes, I saw the rocker panels). Heck, my factory stock pickup has rock chips all up and down the sides from driving on GOOD gravel roads. What's gonna happen when he gets it off-road when deer huntin' or such?

It's turning into a "town truck", you know, a truck that's never off the concrete or asphalt because it might get muddy or "hurt". Sigh.

just a guess on my part, but if Dave and his son built/painted the truck.......I think they could fix it if they need/want to....
Posted By: okie Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/16/15
My absolute favorite color to paint is BLACK...You can see everything and watch the flow out happen. Of course the black lets you see the clear going on too. You can see every flaw too if there are any it is unforgiving.... Looks good Dave...Is it still your birthday? grin...
Naw, the have polack came home. So it ain't no birthday no more.

Posted By: local_dirt Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/16/15
Dave, murky or not, that's a nice truck for your son, just how it sits. And, I like your idea of the smaller carb. No need to burn unnecessary fuel.
Just sayin'.

LD
Burning the midnight oil.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rflshtr Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/16/15
Truck is looking awesome. Hope his prom date is worthy!
I'm probably just tired but, murky? I'm not following.

I'll finish up tomorrow.

As far as the "town truck" stuff, sure I suppose they'll let him drive it in town if he wants.

Ain't ya ever heard "life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun."?
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/17/15
Originally Posted by rflshtr
Truck is looking awesome. Hope his prom date is worthy!

I think there is a high probability Dave will become a grandpa
.... ball park about 9 Months post prom... Just kidding Dave... Um, well better recall the trunk monkey just incase...
Posted By: BuschPilot Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/17/15
Loooking good Dave & Nate!! I seen one in TRF on wednseday almost identical but it was Blue. i am sure yours is way nicer though. hopefully Nate can spin those tires when complete!
Getting closer
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bristoe Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/17/15
Now we're gettin' somewhere.

,...damn nice old truck,..

All it needs now is a tweak here and there and a bumper sticker that says "No fat girls or Democrats".
Right on.
Posted By: Paradiddle Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/17/15
That thing is amazing!!!! Great job.
Posted By: BMT Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/17/15
I would be more enthusiastic about this project . . . . . .

IF I WASN'T SO DARN JEALOUS! sick cry sick cry
Posted By: T LEE Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/17/15
Another Shaw work of art on wheels.
Posted By: colodog Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/17/15
That's nicer than when it was new, wow. Gonna keep it garaged till the prom and unveil it then?

PS, she's gonna need a ladder or a boost up.
Ladder = view
Boost = entertainment
Posted By: mmgravy Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/17/15
Amazing!!!!
Posted By: tzone Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/17/15
That's about all I can say about it too.

I did take my 78 for a 100 mile shake down run today. I love these old fords
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Dang.
Posted By: Scotty Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/18/15
Once again you did a great job Northern Dave.
Posted By: Stan_in_SC Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/18/15
Dave and Son,
Wonderful job!!!

Stan in SC
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/18/15
Congrats to both you and your son.

I bet he feels like Santa came early! smile
We rolled into town just after midnight last night to hit the car wash. Rinse all the buffing compound and dust off.

When we hit the cenex gas station we were swarmed by a squad of Nathans buddies.

That was a pretty cool moment, riding in it was fun too. The new weather stripping and insulation under the new mat make for a quiet ride.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/18/15
We rolled into town just after midnight last night to hit the car wash. Rinse all the buffing compound and dust off.

When we hit the cenex gas station we were swarmed by a squad of Nathans buddies.

That was a pretty cool moment, riding in it was fun too. The new weather stripping and insulation under the new mat make for a quiet ride.

Dave;
Top of the morning to you sir, we're still in the dark here - but I'm trusting the sun's up in your world already.

I know I've commented already a couple times here Dave, but the part of your statement that I've bolded really struck me as laudable so hopefully it's OK if I do just that.

As fathers these days it's tough sometimes to speak into our children's lives in a meaningful way.

From what I can see here Dave, you've more than accomplished that with this project with Nathan. It's something he'll remember for his entire life I'm certain and because of that its become more than the sum of it's metal parts...... but you already knew that Dave.

Anyway sir, a tip of the hat to you from a fellow father. You've set the bar high for us for sure Dave and that's as it should be.

All the best to you and your fine family this weekend.

Dwayne
Posted By: SamOlson Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/18/15
Dave, I've been watching this transformation from the beginning, that pickup is UBER!

And 1977 was a great year for mankind, Elvis may have died but I was born...
Great looking truck, Dave. I couldn't help but smile when I read your post about rolling into town and being surrounded by Nathan's friends.

You have a right to an immense amount of pride in this project, and no doubt satisfaction in time well spent with your son.

You are a good Dad.
Thanks very much guys. We are going for about a 175 mile "shake down" today.

[Linked Image]
that's just skookum Dave

happy for the both of ya!
Posted By: ingwe Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/18/15
Dat looks sweet Dave! laugh
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/18/15
Dave, not only is your work amazing but the fact that you still have time to keep the crowd here posted on what you are doing is more than amazing!

Thank you
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/18/15
Damn good looking truck, and not just the paint although that looks to be outstanding! But it's a car guy's eye that really counts. Cab lights or not, size and type of wheels and tires, mud flaps yes or no.....there always was the cool guys and the wannabes and there always will be. My guess junior already is cool and it's because he's a chip off the Northern Dave block!

Now to keep those seats clean come prom time...... 😬
Posted By: LBP Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/18/15
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Now we're gettin' somewhere.

,...damn nice old truck,..

All it needs now is a tweak here and there and a bumper sticker that says "No fat girls or Democrats".

+1 on the democrats, but fat girls? Come on its a 3/4 ton... grin
Posted By: BigNate Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/18/15
Beautiful Dave. Clean look; Gaudy crap on a truck is like waving a neon sign around that's advertising the owners lacking in other ways.
Posted By: BMT Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/18/15

[Linked Image]

Nice . . . . .

BMT
Posted By: CRS Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/18/15
Simply outstanding!
Posted By: 222Rem Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/18/15
Absolutely fabulous job Dave. Nathan is very fortunate on more than a couple levels.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/18/15

[Linked Image]

Holeee crap did that turn out nice! We've been in Vegas for the past week and I was having Nate truck withdrawls! Good Job Bud! Can't wait to see it!!!!
Posted By: donsm70 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/18/15
Very nice!

donsm70
Posted By: Bristoe Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/18/15

[Linked Image]

Ain't that pretty.

Your kids hit the lottery.

They probably understand it to a point right now,...but when they're old people they'll understand it in a much more significant manner.

Very nice!
Originally Posted by Rooster7

[Linked Image]

Holeee crap did that turn out nice! We've been in Vegas for the past week and I was having Nate truck withdrawls! Good Job Bud! Can't wait to see it!!!!

We are in your part of the state, could see it tomorrow.
Posted By: UNCCGrad Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/18/15
Beautiful truck Dave. Thanks for sharing the entire process with us
Posted By: daveyreka Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/18/15
Beautiful job on this truck. You both did a great job and I hope you both enjoyed your time together doing it. This is a memory that will last you both a lifetime.

I think a sign in the back window "Lifted Because Fat Chicks Can't Jump" would look good on it. LOL.

Daveyreka
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/19/15
Ya know, like a lot of folks I have a fancy new truck, but there is something straightforward and honest about a regular cab, 4x4 truck. And it's really nice to see one carefully restored. smile
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Reminds me of my youth!

Great job you are a talented man!

Mike
Posted By: 35 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/19/15
BADA$$ TRUCK!!!
Wanna trade for a 2011 F350??:):)
Posted By: devnull Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/19/15
Very nice. I've followed this thread with interest since the beginning. Thank you for sharing.
Posted By: White_Bear Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/19/15
Is Black Betty nosed up with an old shop mate?
Two of your finished projects in one lot just might cause an overload.
Is Black Betty nosed up with an old shop mate?
Two of your finished projects in one lot just might cause an overload.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Thanks guys for the nice comments. I think we accomplished a lot in under 40 days. The truck sure turned heads over the weekend. Nathan drove his truck with his little brother riding shotgun. Our trip was 150+ miles one way. We went to grandma and grandpa's house.

One if our first stops was at an auto parts store in a small town along our way. I needed an air filter and a power steering belt. While Nate and I were inside the store, a young man in his 20's walks into the store and asks who's big black 4x4 outside. He wasn't shopping, didn't need no parts, he just pulled in and went into the store to talk to the guy with the black truck. Lol

I pointed at Nate and the young guy followed him around the store talking trucks and asking questions. He eventually left after complimenting several times. I looked at Nate and said "yeah, get used to that because you will get that a lot now." We got out to the parking lot and there was a different guy standing by the truck, staring at it.... Here we go again, lol!

The truck performed perfectly, Nate actually pulled a bit better than 13 mpg.

Posted By: local_dirt Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/19/15
Dave, that is so cool you built that for your son. My "little" brother did the same a few years back for his son, as well as helping him find, finance, and remodel hist first home.

At one point, he told sonny to just stay outta the way while he's redoing the house, I'll take care of "it". Too funny..

He's a pretty cool Dad like you.
Posted By: Magnum_Man Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/19/15
Wonderful job ND. I wonder how long it will take now before all the guys following this thread will realize that they can buy an old truck they always wanted ,have it restore to new condition for a 1/3 or less than a new one. I think I'll keep my eyes open for a 79 3/4 ton ext cab with a 400 ,4spd,4wd.Hmm all you need now is to get a bank online that will loan on restored trucks.How about an update on the 69 Mach 1 now that the truck is done? Magnum Man
Unadulterated and uncompromizing craftsmanship, Dave and Nate !

Well done !

GTC
Posted By: MadMooner Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/19/15
That is one sharp truck.

Congrats to Nate and you both.
Posted By: TLB2 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/19/15
Looks great! Well done!
Posted By: ironbender Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/20/15
Yep yup. Dat'd nice!

Are you going to Armor-all or otherwise slick up the tire sidewalls?
am thinking George Thorogood already covered this

but black betty is bad to the bone!

you'se some good chit Northern Dave, proud and happy for you and yours
Yep yup. Dat'd nice!

Are you going to Armor-all or otherwise slick up the tire sidewalls?

Oh I'm sure it will get that sort of treatment for prom(s).

His school's prom is this week and his girlfriend from a neighboring town has her senior prom the following week.

So, we will be all high school fancy around here for a couple weeks in a row.
Posted By: 1tnhunter Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/20/15
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

CLASSIC!!! & CLASSY!!!
Posted By: tzone Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/20/15

The truck performed perfectly, Nate actually pulled a bit better than 13 mpg.

Funny you should say that. Over the weekend putting on around 200 miles, I got 13mpg in the 1/2 ton, 3.50's. 33" tires, same motor and trans as Nate..as you know. smile
very cool T, cant complain about that much can we?

Here are a couple of Pam's pictures, a bit nicer than my cell phone pics.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Alright, now back to the mach 1 mustang.
Posted By: tzone Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/20/15
No we really can't complain about that. My 2000 F-150 got 14 with the 5.4l so I'm not complaining at all.

I like the shot with the service station in the background. Cool pic.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/20/15
This is the magazine cover shot! smile

[Linked Image]

Excellent!
Posted By: Buckskin Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/20/15
Damm, it looks just like a new truck!!!

Respects,
Richard
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/20/15
Beautiful Guys !!

Now for old Yella, so you & the boy can go stylin', together !
I don't have time to fix things for myself, lol.
Posted By: eh76 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/20/15
Great job Dave!!!!!
Thanks Keith, maybe me and the boy will both throw ourselves into that thing and bounce it on down the hwy to Wyo for some cantilope shootsing.
Posted By: BuschPilot Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/20/15
we need to see some interior shots dave, to me it looks like the flag on the roof!! Very nice job and i am sure i will see it soon!
Posted By: RJL53 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/20/15
Sure is nice that you opted out on the roof lights, they would have ruined a nice truck.
we need to see some interior shots dave, to me it looks like the flag on the roof!! Very nice job and i am sure i will see it soon!

Good eye buschy.

He wanted an American flag headliner in the roof. My Annin American flag in the front yard was fraying a bit on the ends. Its time for me to order a new one so I donated the old one. Its wrapped around the edges of the headliner board, taped on the back side of the board and the board is held up on the ceiling of the cab with a trim that frames the flag.

Its done tastefully and respectfully, not cut or drilled full of holes. Plus Nate is a pretty patriotic kid, so its in his truck for the right reasons.

I'll see if I can get a photo of it.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/20/15
I spotted that too. Yes please take a pic of it.
Posted By: Pointbock Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/20/15

[Linked Image]

Lot's a guys would be scared to even take a pic at that angle, let alone post it. ND says "I ain't skeert - It's straight, ain't it?"

Nice work fellas.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GeoW Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/25/15
Get you some! smile
"Bomb, James Bomb."

Sporting the blue oval ball cap with the tux. Lol
Posted By: T LEE Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/25/15
Boy has the right attitude for a young man, that is for sure.
Posted By: mmgravy Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/25/15
Sharp young man, sharp wheels!!!!
Posted By: tzone Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/25/15
I love the hat with the tux. grin
Posted By: mtcurman Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/25/15
That is probably the nicest truck I've ever seen.. Beautiful work!
Posted By: Mac84 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/25/15
Beautiful job Dave. You and your Son should be very proud.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/25/15
nice job,now go find a mudhole.
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: black betty (1977 F250) - 04/25/15
What?? No bug deflector?? grin

Great looking rig and boy!
© 24hourcampfire