Home
http://www.ncaa.com/championships/wrestling/d1

What's that saying? "I'd rather lose at wrestling than win at basketball."
Good one.

Our wrestlers like to have the following emblazoned on their gear:

"The best thing on a basketball floor
Is wrestling mats, door to door."
We are just now searching for additional tickets for Friday night and Saturday morning's sessions. We already have seats mat-side, 3 rows off the floor for the championship on Saturday night.

Our boys will wrestle a tournament in conjunction Sunday morning out on the west end of St Louis.
I always find it interesting when anyone is so insecure about their activity that they feel the need to validate it by denigrating another activity.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I always find it interesting when anyone is so insecure about their activity that they feel the need to validate it by denigrating another activity.

I always find it interesting when someone is so thin-skinned they can't handle a little dry cutting humor.

Since you so enjoyed the first quote the wrestling folks put on their sweatshirts, thought I'd share another:

"Basketball...
The game boys play
While men wrestle"
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Tarkio
We are just now searching for additional tickets for Friday night and Saturday morning's sessions. We already have seats mat-side, 3 rows off the floor for the championship on Saturday night.

Our boys will wrestle a tournament in conjunction Sunday morning out on the west end of St Louis.

You lucky guy.
Logan Steiber beating a Rooski..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TaYfLyGgFk
Originally Posted by RobJordan
Originally Posted by Tarkio

You lucky guy.

We are taking my son and one of his best friends who is a really elite wrestler to compete in the Sunday tournament as a reward for all their hard work throughout the past year.My wife, ever the resourceful one, purchased the mat-side tickets online.

I just got done showing my son pictures of the arch which we will obviously take in while there. He knew nothing of it, but is completely stoked about it now.
Jordan Burroughs beating a Rooski...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExISbwBkdPA
David Taylor v. Kyle Dake. A classic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNihUnLjut0
Taylor v. Dake again....freestyle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4XrZQw6eJw
Just watched those with my son.

Pretty impressive.
Originally Posted by RobJordan
Taylor v. Dake again....freestyle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4XrZQw6eJw

Watching your videos led me to one of Burroughs v. Taylor where Taylor had him until the end of the 3rd period. Unbelievable match.
if that tourney matter so much we would have heard of it.
Just got back from the Championship Round.

Was pretty dang good. My wife got us awesome seats, second row off the floor. Good enough we were on TV so much, a friend saw us and texted asking how we were enjoying the wrestling.

Got to see Stieber win his 4th NCAA championship and make it look easy. Got to see the Ohio State University win their first NCAA Wrestling title.

Good to hear you had a great time. Two of my brothers go out there every year. Been a long time for me, should make it next year. Ohio is the number H.S. wrestling state in the country. Nice to see them take it.
And here I thought school and continuing ed schools were for education, not for sports... LOL I guess. At least not much of my tax money goes to college sports...
The tragedy here is D1 schools have been dropping wrestling and other "small sports" for the major sports. This has limited opportunities for outstanding High School wrestlers to go on and wrestle. My youngest was on the cadet state Freestyle and Greco team ten years ago, was a pretty good High School kid and placed at state, walked on a good SW Colorado college team. There were no opportunities here in Washington. Training is hard to come by with no college levels to go to. Thanks to the Midwest and East for their continuing support of wrestling, for there's not much in the West or South. It was good to finally see some coverage by ESPN, that's not always been the case.
'
Wrestlers have been crying about basketball forever. I've never heard basketball players even mention wrestling. Maybe the saying should be "Shut up and wrestle."
Originally Posted by carp
The tragedy here is D1 schools have been dropping wrestling and other "small sports" for the major sports. This has limited opportunities for outstanding High School wrestlers to go on and wrestle. My youngest was on the cadet state Freestyle and Greco team ten years ago, was a pretty good High School kid and placed at state, walked on a good SW Colorado college team. There were no opportunities here in Washington. Training is hard to come by with no college levels to go to. Thanks to the Midwest and East for their continuing support of wrestling, for there's not much in the West or South. It was good to finally see some coverage by ESPN, that's not always been the case.
'

This is absolutely true. Wrestlers are average guys physically (not tall, not large, not exceptionally fast or great leapers like bballers or footballers). But because of Title IX and because wrestling doesn't attract large crowds like Bball or football, lots and lots of D1 schools have cut the sport. This translates into way fewer scholarships for average white guys from middle income homes---wrestlers, who are also usually very good students (the discipline of the sport translates into academic success). So, its not wrestling that has perverted collegiate academics by over-emphasizing sports, its Bball and Football. The small college sportw (wrestling, lacrosse, etc.) are really what college sports are supposed to be about. Because guys in these sports are never gonna make money as pros, then academic excellence is still important to them, even as they compete athletically.
Nailed it Rob, the Athletic Directors have the control to maintain the smaller sports if they show the courage and will to do so. It does not need to be either or for the sports. The University of Oregon dropped wrestling about 5 years ago, the wrestling room became the private juice bar for the football team, they do not get any of my alumni dollars. And I loved watching the tourney last few days on the tube, brought back the memories traveling to sweaty gyms all over the country in support of wrestling. stevek
© 24hourcampfire