Home
Posted By: denton Some M855 History - 03/17/15
I ran across some interesting info yesterday, background information on the development of the M855. Seems like it is worth sharing:

slide show, see slide 10

2012 article by the same NATO official

In both, the author says, with respect to the development of the SS109/M855: There was no requirement to penetrate body armor.

Then there is the case of P.O. Ackley in the 1940s, who showed that a regular factory load lead core 220 Swift bullet will penetrate a 1/2" thick armor plate from the front of a half-track.

And finally, the video that shows that M855 will not penetrate AR500 steel body armor, Brinnell Hardness 500. Surprisingly, 55 grain lead core bullets, probably moving faster than the 62 grain M855, will penetrate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMYkEMhPsO8

It's blindingly obvious that M855 does not present any extraordinary hazard vs. common rifle cartridges.

So, yeah, I'm preaching to the choir, but it seemed worth passing along.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Some M855 History - 03/17/15
The greatest "takeaways" I got from that article are, first, SHOT PLACEMENT is the most important factor in lethality (go figure! grin) and, second, TRAINING is more important than caliber selection!

Whoda thunk it? laugh

Thanks for sharing that!

Ed
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Some M855 History - 03/17/15
Don't 'kornfuse' the AH with factual information!
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Some M855 History - 03/17/15
ATF director B. Todd Jones admitted to a Senate committee that all types of 223 ammo represent a danger to law enforcement due to it being able to penetrate common police body armor.

"Any 5.56 round” is “a challenge for officer safety"

And he flat out asked them for help in expanding the 1986 law that defines AP so that more types of ammo can be banned.

Their goal is simply to ban what they can now, whether it makes anybody in the world safer or not. Because what they don't ban today, they want to ban tomorrow.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Some M855 History - 03/17/15
Originally Posted by Calhoun
ATF director B. Todd Jones admitted to a Senate committee that all types of 223 ammo represent a danger to law enforcement due to it being able to penetrate common police body armor.

"Any 5.56 round” is “a challenge for officer safety"

And he flat out asked them for help in expanding the 1986 law that defines AP so that more types of ammo can be banned.

Their goal is simply to ban what they can now, whether it makes anybody in the world safer or not. Because what they don't ban today, they want to ban tomorrow.
EXACTLY!!!
Posted By: ringworm Re: Some M855 History - 03/17/15
Good idea not to give the Army a round that penetrates their own armour.

I've got one word for the ATF ...
KRINK!
Posted By: bearbacker Re: Some M855 History - 03/17/15
Originally Posted by denton
I ran across some interesting info yesterday, background information on the development of the M855. Seems like it is worth sharing:

slide show, see slide 10

In both, the author says, with respect to the development of the SS109/M855: There was no requirement to penetrate body armor.

Then there is the case of P.O. Ackley in the 1940s, who showed that a regular factory load lead core 220 Swift bullet will penetrate a 1/2" thick armor plate from the front of a half-track.

And finally, the video that shows that M855 will not penetrate AR500 steel body armor, Brinnell Hardness 500. Surprisingly, 55 grain lead core bullets, probably moving faster than the 62 grain M855, will penetrate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMYkEMhPsO8

It's blindingly obvious that M855 does not present any extraordinary hazard vs. common rifle cartridges.

And with the reduced velocity out of a pistol barrel, they penetrate even less. In fact the U.S. military has gone AWAY from the M855 for the M4 carbines because the M193s penetrate better out of the short barrels.
Posted By: MichiganScott Re: Some M855 History - 03/18/15
Originally Posted by bearbacker

slide show, see slide 10

And with the reduced velocity out of a pistol barrel, they penetrate even less. In fact the U.S. military has gone AWAY from the M855 for the M4 carbines because the M193s penetrate better out of the short barrels.

I believe they are transitioning to M855A1 with a copper body and hardened steel tip. Penetrates way better and supposedly wounds more.

And it's "green".

http://www.americanrifleman.org/art...e-army-s-m855a1-standard-ball-cartridge/
Posted By: djs Re: Some M855 History - 03/18/15

slide show, see slide 10

Very interesting presentation and article. Lessons for all.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Some M855 History - 03/18/15
This past Sunday I chronographed some LC 855 and some XM193F (Federal) from a Sig with a 20" barrel and got 3230 fps for the "green tip" and 3350 fps for the XM193.

What bothers me is, what are they going to do when that almost all hunting rounds will blow through it too? Take a guess!!!
Posted By: denton Re: Some M855 History - 03/18/15
what are they going to do when that almost all hunting rounds will blow through it too?

They are going to have a hissy fit, and I am going to watch and enjoy it.

Since Heller, ammunition is as protected as firearms. The government must have an overriding interest (lots of police killed by M855) and the legal solution must be narrowly tailored. None of what's on the table meets either condition.

They could make a case for a specific type of ammunition if they could show that it poses a special hazard to society. So the ban on tungsten core armor piercing ammunition is probably constitutional and proper.

But M855 poses no special hazard and cannot be singled out. Neither can they ban all rifle ammunition. The SCOTUS justices would roll their eyes, say "not this $hit again" and strike down the ban.

If M855 is like all other rifle ammunition in common use, the game may go on for a while but the winner is already decided.
© 24hourcampfire