Home
Posted By: rockinbbar Amanda Knox Saga Continues - 03/26/15
What do you think?

Guilty or Not Guilty?

Should the U.S. extradite her if found guilty?

http://www.inquisitr.com/1955104/amanda-knox-verdict-what-will-friday-bring/
I wasn't there to hear the evidence so I can't judge whether she's guilty or not. However, the appeals court acquitted her so she should not be extradited. The Italian court system bounces around like an Australian marsupial.

All the same, if I was a young single man again, I doubt I'd want to date here.
Yeah, here the rule of Double Jeopardy would apply.

Lotsa hoopla for a liberal gal, though.

My guess is that we aren't done with it. It's worse than the OJ Simpson debacle.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Amanda Knox Saga Continues - 03/26/15
if she was an old fat nasty woman, would we even hear about it?

I guess my take is, she is out on appeal, she hightailed it back home to the USA and she had to expect this day would come.

I suspect she has spent the time here in the U.S. making sure she never has to set foot on Italian soil again.

I have no idea as to her guilt or not but I've heard that some of the evidence was questionable at best and the man she was tried with has been inconsistent and flipped between supporting Knox and trying to save his own ass.
Unlike OJ, though, she didn't have the money to buy a jury to get a guaranteed acquittal. He spent a million on his and it worked.
Acquitted. Innocent. Free woman.

I'd hit it.
Originally Posted by KFWA
if she was an old fat nasty woman, would we even hear about it?

I guess my take is, she is out on appeal, she hightailed it back home to the USA and she had to expect this day would come.

I suspect she has spent the time here in the U.S. making sure she never has to set foot on Italian soil again.

I have no idea as to her guilt or not but I've heard that some of the evidence was questionable at best and the man she was tried with has been inconsistent and flipped between supporting Knox and trying to save his own ass.

I think the way that shook out was that she appealed and won the appeal, and she was freed. She then returned to the U.S.

Then sometime later, they charged her again with the murder and she refused to go back to face a second trial, after she was cleared with the appeal case she won.
Posted By: hatari Re: Amanda Knox Saga Continues - 03/26/15
Yep.

I have only casually followed this saga, but she was acquitted, and then when public opinion in Italy raged, they retried until they got the verdict they wanted.

Her story smells and is a little to funky for me. However, she was acquitted the first time around, and we are a nation that is founded on the principle of no double jeopardy. England was notorious for that, and retried people and enemies of the State until they got a guilty verdict. That is why our Founding Fathers insisted on trail by jury and no double jeopardy.

She may be guilty or not, but I would not extradite her, and if I were her I'd have an escape plan to Paraguay, assuming they don't play ball with the Italians on such matters. No way I'd go to an Italian prison with her notoriety. Death sentence.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Amanda Knox Saga Continues - 03/26/15
With O at the helm, she needs to be ready to bolt!
Regardless of the outcome of the latest trial, her life is pretty much fugged up.

Ask Monica Lewinsky.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Amanda Knox Saga Continues - 03/26/15
She was initially found guilty and served some time, about 2 years IIRC. The was aquitted on appeal and released. After she was released the appeal was appealed and this is the 2nd trial which she didn't attend.

Based on what I've seen the evidence against her is pretty sketchy. She MIGHT be guilty of being stupid, but I'm not sure about murder. I'd not support sending her back under the circumstances.
Posted By: Steve Re: Amanda Knox Saga Continues - 03/26/15
What's our extradition treaty with Italy say?
I believe she would have a good case to fight extradition due to protection under US law for Double Jeopardy, which doesn't appear to exist in Italy.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Regardless of the outcome of the latest trial, her life is pretty much fugged up.

Ask Monica Lewinsky.
The news media is now making Monica look like a nice lady who got some bad press at the time. Not so with Amanda.
I hate to say this but if she's convicted again, the decision to extradite comes down to 1 man - John Kerry. I'd say that he would do it to 'protect' US-Italian relations, constitution be damned.
I'd hate to have my fate hinging on anyone with the Obama administration.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Amanda Knox Saga Continues - 03/26/15
Never heard the evidence either, so I have no idea. I think in their system, however, one has to almost prove innocence.

I doubt our powers would hand her over.
Originally Posted by 1minute
Never heard the evidence either, so I have no idea. I think in their system, however, one has to almost prove innocence.

I doubt our powers would hand her over.

I never thought we'd deal with terrorists, trading 5 of them for a deserter that got fellow soldiers killed when they looked for his sorry ass either.

Nothing surprises me anymore. I've come to even expect that if something is clearly in the right, the O administration will do the opposite, and do the wrong thing.

And thumb their noses at Americans afterward. frown
I believe that under our extradition treaty with Italy we're compelled to extradite her. Double jeopardy applies in the U.S. but not Italy, and if she is convicted there then we're required to send her back.

Nobody in this administration is going to stand up for her, they'll hand her over. I don't know whether or not she's guilty, but the Italian legal system and her case in particular is a farce. There's no hope she could ever receive a fair trial and ethically there's no way she should be sent back.

If I were her I'd be headed somewhere that doesn't have an extradition treaty with Italy and plan on living out my life there.
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I believe that under our extradition treaty with Italy we're compelled to extradite her. Double jeopardy applies in the U.S. but not Italy, and if she is convicted there then we're required to send her back.

Nobody in this administration is going to stand up for her, they'll hand her over. I don't know whether or not she's guilty, but the Italian legal system and her case in particular is a farce. There's no hope she could ever receive a fair trial and ethically there's no way she should be sent back.

If I were her I'd be headed somewhere that doesn't have an extradition treaty with Italy and plan on living out my life there.

I agree. Sadly.

But... Extraditions can be worked out between governments. Much like when a death penalty case suspect is caught in Mexico or another country and they refuse to extradite, even though the treaty is in place.

Negotiations CAN happen.

I just wouldn't count on Zero's team to put forth any effort at all. I think they'd simply hand her over.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Amanda Knox Saga Continues - 03/26/15
If I were her I would no longer exist. whistle
The nigroe did it...end of story.

The only reason she was ever brought to trial was because of an insane crackpot prosecutor with a ridiculous theory.

Posted By: Steve Re: Amanda Knox Saga Continues - 03/26/15
After doing a bit of poking around, we have an exemption for double jeopardy in our treaty with Italy. But it's apparently open to interpretation. There would be a fight.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/25/politics/amanda-knox-extradition/
article VI of the treaty:
"Extradition shall not be granted when the person sought has been convicted, acquitted or pardoned, or has served the sentence imposed, by the Requested Party for the same acts for which extradition is requested,"
That looks pretty clear to me. She has been both convicted and acquitted so extradition is not to be granted.
The killer.

Posted By: BarryC Re: Amanda Knox Saga Continues - 03/26/15
Voodooman is a former child soldier from some schitthole like Sierra Leone.

He belongs in jail just on principle, if nothing else.
Posted By: Bigfoot Re: Amanda Knox Saga Continues - 03/26/15
Originally Posted by White_Bear
I'd hit it.

Only if I had somebody there watching my back to wrestle the knife away, named Susan or Charlotte.. maybe Brianna. I've put some thought into this. whistle

The truth is I'm glad she isn't getting so much press these days. She's sick. She was doing handstands or something in the police station right after her roommate was found stabbed. Then she blamed the murder on her boss. Don't know if she was involved but she's an attention whore with some really lose screws.
There was enough prosecutorial wrong doing in the first trial to make me believe that she better fight extradition for all she is worth. I believe the Italian system is more of a guilty until proven innocent kind of system. With the prosecutor able to make up a bunch of crap, she will be toast if she goes back.
I don't think she did the murder. The preponderance of actual evidence points away, not toward, her. It is only hypothetical that she is placed at the point of the murder at the time.

And they do have a much more likely suspect as part of the case, but don't want to prosecute him for political reasons.
Posted By: logger Re: Amanda Knox Saga Continues - 03/26/15
The Italian justice (?) system is a farce. When F1 driver Ayrton Senna was killed in 1994 the Italian prosecutor made a big push to charge and convict Williams (the team) and team principals for his death.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Ask Monica Lewinsky.

Like Lewinsky she could always write a book or 2 like Monica's latest tome; "I Was A Sucker For Bill".
© 24hourcampfire