Home
Posted By: Cariboujack Road Trip - 03/27/15
April second I'm leaving Boise, headed to Twin Falls, Salt Lake, probably spend the night in Moab, the next day I'll head toward Farmington, NM, then to Albuquerque, Socorro and Alamogordo. On the way back probably around the 16th and 17th I'll probably reverse the trail. Anyone live along the way? Probably need something to drink along the way, to stay awake.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Road Trip - 03/27/15
You'd miss me by about 90 miles - unless you decide to come through Denver on one leg - I could provide a drink, a meal, and a bed, if you made that detour.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Road Trip - 03/27/15
Sounds good, maybe another trip. I have friends in Florence. smile
Posted By: Scott F Re: Road Trip - 03/27/15
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
April second I'm leaving Boise, headed to Twin Falls, Salt Lake, probably spend the night in Moab, the next day I'll head toward Farmington, NM, then to Albuquerque, Socorro and Alamogordo. On the way back probably around the 16th and 17th I'll probably reverse the trail. Anyone live along the way? Probably need something to drink along the way, to stay awake.

I have driven truck down from Salt Lake through Moab and beyond several times. Loved that drive. Have a fun and safe trip.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Road Trip - 03/27/15
Have a great trip CJ, stay safe.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Road Trip - 03/27/15
I hope you have your hotel reservation in Moab already. I was there Tuesday night and things are already hopping.

If you decide to have lunch in Farmington send me a PM.
SockPuppet, I just may do that. I'm going back and forth between Moab and Cortez. Not sure how big Cortez is or if there are rooms. I may make reservations this weekend. Thanks for the heads up.

Seems like the worst part of the trip is the drive through Salt Lake. That is a LONG town. Does anyone know how long the "greater" Salt Lake City is?
Posted By: mudhen Re: Road Trip - 03/27/15
If for some unfathomable reason you decide to head back west on I-10, shoot me a PM. We are about 24 miles south just before you get to the Arizona line. Would be glad to feed you and slake your thirst.
Posted By: drover Re: Road Trip - 03/27/15
I made the exact same trip 3 times last year. From the time the traffic starts in the Ogden area until you get out of it again south of Springville is right at 100 miles according to my odometer. Like you said - it is the worse part of the whole trip. Lots of easy driving and good scenery otherwise.

If you have time make a side trip to Chaco Canyon south of Farmington, even if you are not interested in ancient native culture it is fascinating. The downside is that it is about 35 miles off the main road to it and to even see a small bit of it takes 2 to 4 hours.

Cortez has lots of motels, Monticello which is about 50 miles south of Moab has a couple. Prices are high in Moab this time of year though. I went through in Feb and got a room at Archway Inn for $49 came back in Mar and same room was now $109, stayed there in August last year and had to pay $139 for the same room.

drover
Excellent information
Posted By: drover Re: Road Trip - 03/27/15
Forgot to mention that there are lots of motels in Cortez.

drover
As mentioned, Cortez has a ton of rooms and the rates will be much more reasonable. It also has a fair number of good restaurants, PM me if you end up there.

My room this past week in Moab at the Holiday Inn Express was $169. They go to $220+ in peak season and can be scarce.
I booked Monticello. $78 Didn't think that was bad.
Monticello has a cool little golf course called the Hideout if you're into that kind of thing.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Road Trip - 03/27/15
Once long ago I left Moscow ID on Saturday afternoon on a motorcycle and made it to Capitan NM Sunday night. Can't say I recall ALL the details, but I sure saw a lot of mule deer in my headlight eek
SP, too many miles to cover to play golf. Not to mention I haven't done that in YEARS.

BW, I'll keep my eyes open for deer.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Road Trip - 03/28/15
Bump
Posted By: idnative1948 Re: Road Trip - 03/28/15
May see you on the road. We are pulling out with our trailer on the 2nd, headed to Twin, Jackpot, Ely, Wells and then into Kingman AZ, up to Flagstaff and do all of the *park stuff* on the way back.

Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Road Trip - 03/28/15
That sounds like a good trip as well. Have fun.
© 24hourcampfire