Home
Posted By: kecatt High school cars - 04/10/15
What did you drive? Here was my main car:

[Linked Image]

Here is what I have now. I bought it from my friend who drove it in high school:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: willhunt4 Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
I don't see anything....
Posted By: kecatt Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
Weird.
Posted By: eh76 Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
Remember the Stephen King movie Christine? I had one of those eek
Posted By: SamOlson Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
Freshman-sophomore years it was a twin to this one. Minus the mud flaps.

[Linked Image]

Junior-senior it was a couple different used reg cab F150's.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
[Linked Image]

Mine was like this, a white 1970 Torino gt with a 351/Cleveland.

It was blue when I got it, it was my first project. Painted white with single stage dupont centari.

Mine had keystone classic wheels on it.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
1974 Z-28, 350 CID, 4-barrel, 4-speed. Fast, rough, and thirsty.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
Sweet!
Posted By: Dantheman Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
[Linked Image]

A Kelly Green 1968 Mercury Cougar. It had a souped up 302 and a Hurst 3 speed manual. That thing was fast. Shag carpet in the dash and on the floor with an 8 Track player for tunes. The interior lights were painted red so if you left them on when you were driving at night the interior kinda glowed.

Dan

Posted By: saddlesore Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
We were not in that much of an affluent community. Probably less than 6 kids drove a car to high school out of a class of about 120 seniors.
Our family as4 kids, and we only had one car for the family.

Me being the youngest, it was a rare occasion that I got the car on a Friday or Saturday night. Even at that it was a 52 Chevy station wagon
Posted By: keystoneben Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
When I was 18, I bought this 97 Ram Van.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
Originally Posted by northern_dave
[Linked Image]

It was blue when I got it, it was my first project. Painted white with single stage dupont centari.

I know where there's a burnt orange one sitting. I believe it belonged to the guy's mother who bought it new.
Posted By: EdM Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
A Jeep CJ-7. Rolled and totalled it halfway through my first year of college. Replaced it with a CJ-5.
Posted By: patbrennan Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
Originally Posted by northern_dave
[Linked Image]

Just out of school I had one of these with the 429CJ and 4 speed, fun car and wish I still had it!
Posted By: tikkanut Re: High school cars - 04/10/15

pic of a pic......senior year....'68 Dodge Dart GTS 340 4 speed

Rag top no less...bought it in '69 for $2400 w/21K miles...

OMG..wish I still had it.......... cry

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tzone Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
I had a sweet ass 1981 amc concord. Before you laugh...it was a 4 door so there! Oh yeah, and it was a wagon. Don't you worry though, it only burned a quart of oil every 40 miles. And just to make you really jealous...it had a roof rack. Yep! A chrome one!
Posted By: NathanL Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
'79 Trans AM. Same color as this one. Had T-Tops, loved that car. Lot of fun was had in that car.

I went to high school that the bus didn't run to where I lived. Got my license in January of my freshman year (you could get a license then at 15) and drove every day from then on.

In senior year I only needed 4 hours of whatever and 1 hour of english (they let you go half days back then as a senior). I took 4 hours of auto mechanics in the morning then an english class. LOTS of fun. I got to leave 1/2 the time to go pick up parts or whatever. We built a Super Gas legal '67 Chevelle with a 396. LOTS of fun. I helped on the engine build and did the sheetmetal work on the interior. We had other guys who did the body work and paint etc..LOTS of fun lol.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Kodiakisland Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
79 Chevy Custom Deluxe(yeah right), I-6, 3 on the tree
and
71 MACH I
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
Damn, I wish I could post pictures.

My car was a 72 Chevy Nova SS. It was actually a real SS, not a regular Nova with the SS emblem. It was Fire Engine Red with an original black vinyl top. It had a Muncie 4 speed, factory in dash tach, and the gauges were in the console, in front of the shifter. It had a 350, four bolt main with a 3.73 rear end. I sure miss that car. We will be restoring my wife's 68 Camaro in the next few years, so that will be fun!
Posted By: TruTalker Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
My very first car as a 16 year old.. 85 Chrysler Laser...

[Linked Image]

My first 4 wheel drive when I gradgeeated...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hemiallen Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
First was a 1500 series 1956 Chevy PU, 283 manual 3 speed. Upgraded to a 1964 Lemans 326HO 2 speed slip and slide. Upgraded it with a turbo 400, still didn't do big enough smoke shows, dropped in a 389 4 bbl and it was a great improvement.

My current main old car is a 1970-440 Cuda that a good friend in Sacramento had as his highschool car, we both graduated in 1977. It still has the 1977 Imron metalflake black, Candy cherry red pearl paint. It looks a lot like Cameleon paint when in the sun.

Allen
Posted By: blanket Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
My high school wet dream car was a 1970 Dodge Charger 440 6 pack which I owned after 36 easy payments, but I drove a 1968 Chevy C10 with a 4 spd and a 250 inline 6. The Dodge taught me about what you should not do as a young dumb azz kid. Sold The car with about 30 K miles when I got married. My wife used to ask me about a mid life crisis car about 20 years ago , keep telling her I already had mine Russ
Posted By: Steelhead Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
No pics of mine, but my first car was a 72 Dodge Polara. I totaled it the beginning of my senior year.

[Linked Image]

I then got a 69 Chevelle Malibu

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
'71 Dodge Demon, 340 4 speed. Factory twin hood scoops and rear spoiler.
That is one of two cars I wish I'd never gotten rid of. The other, after high school, was a '71 Plymouth 'Cuda, 383 with a shaker hood.
Posted By: lochsa Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
Originally Posted by Dantheman
[Linked Image]

A Kelly Green 1968 Mercury Cougar. It had a souped up 302 and a Hurst 3 speed manual. That thing was fast. Shag carpet in the dash and on the floor with an 8 Track player for tunes. The interior lights were painted red so if you left them on when you were driving at night the interior kinda glowed.

Dan

I had the same car. 1968 Cougar XR7 with 302 and automatic. It was gold with a white top but painted it dark metalic brown with white top. Some good times. I paid $500 bucks
Posted By: Mathsr Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
My brother and I had a 1963 Plymouth station wagon that was bought surplus from the US Soil and Water Conservation Dept. It had a slant six, three on the column, no A/C, no power steering, no power brakes, no back seat and no radio, but it ran. A $50.00 paint job and a back seat from the junk yard and we were good to go.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
Originally Posted by lochsa
[Linked Image]

Dan

I had the same car. 1968 Cougar XR7 with 302 and automatic. It was gold with a white top but painted it dark metalic brown with white top. Some good times. I paid $500 bucks

A buddy of mine had a late 60s Cougar and what a beautiful car it was. His old man was the best body man in town. He told us that he was having it painted gray and we thought that was a disaster........ until we saw it. Wow, was it beautiful!
Posted By: kecatt Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
[Linked Image]

Dan

For a short time I had a 1968 XR7. 302 auto. It was red and all stock.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
I went to my older sisters house one day when I was a sophomore in high school. One of these with a 396 and 4 spd was sitting in her garage. It was a friends, and it was for sale. Absolutely MINT! Hugger orange with white stripes IIRC. $4000.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
First was a 62 country sedan station wagon,man could it haul beer!

Then a 64 Comet and the last in school was a 69 Mustang.
It was a California car with a 302 and a 3 speed,with enough smog equipment for 3 more cars.
Posted By: Seafire Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
Originally Posted by eh76
Remember the Stephen King movie Christine? I had one of those eek

I've got an ex wife like that....

whose name happens to be Christine...

Maybe Stephen King knew her before I did, and used her as the inspiration for the movie...
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
Car? You gotta be kidding! One vehicle in the family and my Dad stayed after work so I could ride home with him after football practice and I have walked home...12 miles! No...not through snow...but on occasion a damn big thunderstorm! Kids in high school didn't have cars! Here was my 'car' every day:

[Linked Image]6395143819_5fb62fa0eb_z by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

Wasn't any running around on the bus while enroute either and it was as quiet as a church mouse or....if you chose to holler and try raising hell...you got your azz put off the bus!
Posted By: Seafire Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
My first car was a 62 Pontiac Tempest my mom bought me and had me pay the $300 for it... it belonged to an Airman 2nd Class who worked in her office at the Pentagon and he got orders for Vietnam....so he had to unload it quick...

It was red and the paint was all faded and oxidized... It looked like crap.... she hands me the keys and tell me to take it for a spin.... Adding it was "real peppy for a 6 cylinder"....

So I drove it up the road, and as soon as I was out of sight from home, and hit a stop sign, I decided to see how peppy it was...

[Linked Image]

I floored it, and it went in any direction but straight... and I burnt a couple thousand miles worth of wear off the snow tires on the rear....I popped the hood on the little buzzard...

No inner fender wells, big asssed radiator.. yet the entire engine bay was FULL....air cleaner was inscribed Pontiac 421 Tri Power....What I wished it was going to look like...

[Linked Image]

note that 421 emblem on the left front fender...

[Linked Image]

Guy who owned it was setting it up to drag race it, and got his orders for Vietnam... so felt he'd better not tell my mom what was really under the hood...

Word got back to her a month or so later... and she immediately pulled the keys and sold it to someone else in her office...

but that sure was one hell of a fun 30 days or so...

after that was a couple of VWs....

but I got tossed the keys for about 2 months on a car one of her friends had bought when going thru tough times...because it was a "gas hog"... mom let her use her car, and she took my VW...

Previously government owned 57 Caddy Fleetwood Limo...3 doors down each side... shiney black, had some bullet holes in the back fender some kids had shot in it... Looked like a real Mafia Mobile...

Thing had like a 50 gallon fuel tank, automatic EVERYTHING...

lift the hood the air cleaner was the size of a garbage can lid... housing 2 Four Barrels.. probably the biggest made in 1957.. and I am sure the engine was the biggest thing GM made for Cadillac that year also...

Tires were huge....you could get it up to 120, let off the gas pedal and it would slow down to about 90 and then without touching anything, it would start slowly climbing back up picking up speed...

could load it up with about 20 plus high school kids...

that was a fun 60 days or so also...but as soon as her friend got a job, there went the keys to the Caddy... and I'm back in a darn VW once again....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 700LH Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
Minus the white walls this is the same, 3 on the tree 6 cyclinder

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 5sdad Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
'64 Malibu and then a '67 Firebird
Posted By: ironbender Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
If it's rockin'.......

Originally Posted by keystoneben
[Linked Image]
Posted By: K1500 Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
1964 Ford.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ironbender Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
My first car I bought from my gradfather the summer before my sophomore year in college. Very similar to this '66, but mine was a 1967 Fairlane in the same Pebble Beige.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bearhuntr Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
Had my sights on a pick up as long as I could remember so I saved up and bough a 70 Ford XLT Ranger (F100.) It only had 15,000 on it but had the dog of a 360 engine under the hood. Didn't want to pull my boat so well.

My mom's Mercury Monteray(land boat!) had a 390 in it so I did what any red-blodded teenager woud do... swapped them out one weekend when she was away. Was a perfect fit.

She seemed suprised when she found out (30 years later.) She had always maintained that "My Mercury seems to be running rather slow for some reason..." wink
Posted By: NathanL Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
Originally Posted by ironbender
If it's rockin'.......

Originally Posted by keystoneben
[Linked Image]

Posted By: mathman Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
1974 Z-28, 350 CID, 4-barrel, 4-speed. Fast, rough, and thirsty.

If you'd have rolled up against the 1970 1/2 version you'd know the guts were long gone out of that engine by 1974.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
Originally Posted by Seafire
My first car was a 62 Pontiac Tempest my mom bought me and had me pay the $300 for it... it belonged to an Airman 2nd Class who worked in her office at the Pentagon and he got orders for Vietnam....so he had to unload it quick...

It was red and the paint was all faded and oxidized... It looked like crap.... she hands me the keys and tell me to take it for a spin.... Adding it was "real peppy for a 6 cylinder"....

So I drove it up the road, and as soon as I was out of sight from home, and hit a stop sign, I decided to see how peppy it was...

[Linked Image]

I floored it, and it went in any direction but straight... and I burnt a couple thousand miles worth of wear off the snow tires on the rear....I popped the hood on the little buzzard...

No inner fender wells, big asssed radiator.. yet the entire engine bay was FULL....air cleaner was inscribed Pontiac 421 Tri Power....What I wished it was going to look like...

[Linked Image]

note that 421 emblem on the left front fender...

[Linked Image]

Guy who owned it was setting it up to drag race it, and got his orders for Vietnam... so felt he'd better not tell my mom what was really under the hood...

Word got back to her a month or so later... and she immediately pulled the keys and sold it to someone else in her office...

but that sure was one hell of a fun 30 days or so...

after that was a couple of VWs....

but I got tossed the keys for about 2 months on a car one of her friends had bought when going thru tough times...because it was a "gas hog"... mom let her use her car, and she took my VW...

Previously government owned 57 Caddy Fleetwood Limo...3 doors down each side... shiney black, had some bullet holes in the back fender some kids had shot in it... Looked like a real Mafia Mobile...

Thing had like a 50 gallon fuel tank, automatic EVERYTHING...

lift the hood the air cleaner was the size of a garbage can lid... housing 2 Four Barrels.. probably the biggest made in 1957.. and I am sure the engine was the biggest thing GM made for Cadillac that year also...

Tires were huge....you could get it up to 120, let off the gas pedal and it would slow down to about 90 and then without touching anything, it would start slowly climbing back up picking up speed...

could load it up with about 20 plus high school kids...

that was a fun 60 days or so also...but as soon as her friend got a job, there went the keys to the Caddy... and I'm back in a darn VW once again....

[Linked Image]

Seafire, I really enjoy reading some other Camper's stories, and you're one of 'em. smile
Cheers!
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Car? You gotta be kidding! One vehicle in the family and my Dad stayed after work so I could ride home with him after football practice and I have walked home...12 miles! No...not through snow...but on occasion a damn big thunderstorm! Kids in high school didn't have cars! Here was my 'car' every day:

[Linked Image]6395143819_5fb62fa0eb_z by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

Wasn't any running around on the bus while enroute either and it was as quiet as a church mouse or....if you chose to holler and try raising hell...you got your azz put off the bus!

Or, the bus driver stopped and gave you a spanking, in front of all the other kids. Then he told your parents and Dad would give you another spanking for 'cutting up' on the bus.

BTDT
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: High school cars - 04/10/15

Yep, and the boys sat on one side, girls and the other. No talking. There were three or four "rich" kids that had their own car. On a special day you might be allowed to take the family car to school.
Posted By: Cinch Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
Lived 20 miles from town as a youngster. Never got to drive to school. ALWAYS rode the school bus. Got my first ride at 17. Bought and paid for on my own. 1983 Toyota single cab pickup. Was a great little truck, but I didn't get to drive it to school...
Posted By: benchman Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
[Linked Image]Mine was the same color, but black interior. 283 and a 4 speed.
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
I had finished my second year of college before I had a car. I ran out of money and had to drop out a while, so after finding a job I bought my first, a Triumph GT6.
Posted By: scenarshooter Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
1963 International Scout.
Posted By: benchman Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
I had finished my second year of college before I had a car. I ran out of money and had to drop out a while, so after finding a job I bought my first, a Triumph GT6.
I had a 1970 Gt6. It was the neatest car I ever had that didn't work worth poop....Evil handling on fast sweepers, once the suspension was overwhelmed. Little sucker would step right out. Of course, it had to run, before that happened. Probably a safety feature...
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox

Same here, ran out of money (school loans were almost unheard of back then), dropped out of school, got a job, and bought my first car. '67 Impala fastback, 327, powerglide. The motor had been worked on, by the previous owner and was scary fast, on the top end. If you put it in low and floored it, the valves floated at 93 mph.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Freshman-sophomore years it was a twin to this one. Minus the mud flaps.

[Linked Image]

Junior-senior it was a couple different used reg cab F150's.
I had one of those during junior year. Gawd awful ugliest tank they ever put on this planet. That set of heater controls on the firewall was a real adventure too. It had posi front and rear, and that danged thing could just about climb a telephone pole.
Originally Posted by tzone
I had a sweet ass 1981 amc concord. Before you laugh...it was a 4 door so there! Oh yeah, and it was a wagon. Don't you worry though, it only burned a quart of oil every 40 miles. And just to make you really jealous...it had a roof rack. Yep! A chrome one!
Had an '80 AMC Eagle with that Pontiac 230 straight 6 in it. Everyone withing 100 yards of me when I was rolling got a free lube job weather they wanted it or not. I liked the concept of a 4 wd wagon that had a little ground clearance, but the thing was just a piece of junk.
Posted By: Scott Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
I bought a 1966 Chevy II 2dr coupe when I was 15. Dad and I worked on it swapping out the complete drivetrain doing the body work. Made it tame with a 307, auto, and 10bolt 3.08 rear. Fun project.
Bought a 1968 Chevy II SS when I was a senior - LT1 350, 4spd, 12 bolt 4.11s. That thing would run. Sold'em both to get thru college.
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Damn, I wish I could post pictures.

My car was a 72 Chevy Nova SS. It was actually a real SS, not a regular Nova with the SS emblem. It was Fire Engine Red with an original black vinyl top. It had a Muncie 4 speed, factory in dash tach, and the gauges were in the console, in front of the shifter. It had a 350, four bolt main with a 3.73 rear end. I sure miss that car. We will be restoring my wife's 68 Camaro in the next few years, so that will be fun!
My brother had a 69 Nova with the LT-1 350 in it. All built up. I think he actually broke even on that one as he won a couple pink slips when the cops in Youngstown went on strike. They gathered on South Avenue, or maybe it was Market Street and ran traffic light to traffic light. He took out an AMX and a 340 Duster. Remember him coming home that night with his buddies driving those two cars. We had to clean out a spot in the driveway until he sold them.
Posted By: krp Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
68 fastback, paid 800 for it... traded it in for a new honda civic in 76... dumb chit we do.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bucktales Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
Still have mine grin ...since 1978.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bea175 Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
Car, you must be joking , i walked every place i went. Unless someone picked me up and gave me a lift
Posted By: supercrewd Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
Obviously not the car as mine was covered in rust and the green seems nice on this one. It was a throw away car that was for driving into NYC that someone gave me.

[Linked Image]

It was supposed to be one of these:
[Linked Image]

My brother went and looked at it for me. $300 after an engine fire. He came home and said "I have good news and bad news...I bought the car, but I bought it for me..."

He still has it.

Growing up in the 60's with a lot of brothers there were a lot of cool cars that came and went. If only one of us had the foresight to save a few more. The 60's muscle were cheap in the 70's for sure.
Posted By: Kojac Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
[Linked Image]
Posted By: rost495 Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
Never seen the use of a car, but that day may still come.

77 chevy half ton, 4x4 we called the grey ghost. Ya know the CB craze was in and we all had to have handles...

Just junked that truck out about 10 years ago, rust finally had gotten it too bad and needed the 350 for a better project... an airboat engine...

Have a nice 51 Dodge truck in the barn though... maybe one of these days we can rework it. Would be nice.

Drive an explorer now, since the wife bought an FJ and gave the explorer to me, that allows my F350 to sit and only run it as needed, generally to tow boats and trailers and the like.
Posted By: RyanTX Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
My first one was a real piece of crap. 1980 Pontiac LeMans - $500. Similar to this one but with a brown top:

[Linked Image]

After 6 months, I sold it and got an '77 just like this:

[Linked Image]

A little while later, I got a '70 C10 like this:

[Linked Image]

Next up was an '82 just like this one:

[Linked Image]

Then, in my senior year, I broke down and bought one like this except with t-tops off the showroom floor:

[Linked Image]

Insurance and car payments were killing me so 6 months later I sold it and bought an '89 like this:

[Linked Image]

I went through a lot of cars.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
Only shot I have of mine.

[Linked Image]

Mike
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
Originally Posted by rost495

77 chevy half ton, 4x4 we called the grey ghost. Ya know the CB craze was in and we all had to have handles...

Just junked that truck out about 10 years ago, rust finally had gotten it too bad and needed the 350 for a better project... an airboat engine...

Have a nice 51 Dodge truck in the barn though... maybe one of these days we can rework it. Would be nice.

Drive an explorer now, since the wife bought an FJ and gave the explorer to me, that allows my F350 to sit and only run it as needed, generally to tow boats and trailers and the like.

My first car was the inherited 63' Chevy II station wagon. The first vehicle I bought was a 66' Dodge 1/2 ton step side that came from some old guy in your neck of Fayette county, Jeff! $500!
Posted By: joken2 Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
No 4 wheel motor vehicle in high school but did put together a little money from my part time job and bought a used motorcycle.

Late '50's 175cc NSU Maxi.

First 4 wheel motor vehicle came a couple of years later, a used 1955 Chevy, 2dr hardtop, white over green, 6cyl, Powerglide.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: FieldGrade Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
1960 V-W

[Linked Image]
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
I had a rotation of 4 $50-100 beaters...Started with a blue 78 Mustang II 4cyl, picked up a Red one just like it for parts the after I blew out the trans then just drove the parts car. When that started to fall apart, I picked up a '76 Plymouth Fury(basically just an excuse to get a V8) car was a tank, but I sold that one for twice what I paid for it and got a '82 Chevette. After the transmission FELL OFF the chevette, I scrapped it and cobbled the red Mustang together with parts from the blue one. That pretty much covers High School...
Posted By: PVT Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
My older brother and I shared a burnt orange, 1973 Dodge Powerwagon. We drove to school together. We always had a 22 and a shotgun in it, along with our trapping stuff in the winter. It would not go over 50 mph w/o shaking your kidneys out, but it could anywhere you wanted. Tough truck!
Posted By: lazydrifter Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
I had a '70 Cuda Convertible. Sold that car in '82 cause I was getting married and needed a truck. What a dumbass I was..

[img:center][Linked Image]
31651_119818074711836_523650_n by Brant Lindquist, on Flickr[/img]

Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
Had a '65 Barracuda in highscool. Sold it just before graduation, and bought a '66 Bronco with a built up 289.

Virgil B.
Posted By: CCCC Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
Well, you younger guys had some really nice rides compared to what I could get/afford - I'm impressed. Don't have a photo of my HS car (I didn't even have a camera in HS) but it was a not-as-nice version of this.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: lazydrifter Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
Along with that Cuda I had an old beater 56 chev 2 door hardtop.

[img:center][Linked Image]
1918331_117311514962492_2162585_n by Brant Lindquist, on Flickr[/img]
Posted By: srwshooter Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
a good friend of mine is putting a 350 in a 68 vw beetle for his 16 yrs old grandson now.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: High school cars - 04/10/15

Then...

[Linked Image]

Now...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mathman Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
People's "memories" in threads like this always seem to include certain engines in cars in which they did not come, in model years before the debut of said engine.

It's the automotive version of the BS stories you hear in the gun shop.
Posted By: tzone Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Originally Posted by tzone
Had an '80 AMC Eagle with that Pontiac 230 straight 6 in it. Everyone withing 100 yards of me when I was rolling got a free lube job weather they wanted it or not. I liked the concept of a 4 wd wagon that had a little ground clearance, but the thing was just a piece of junk.

well she finally gave up the ghost at 290,000 mi. I had the same motor as the eagle though. this one was 2wd. we had the eagle as well but it was a lot more work to get roadworthy.
Posted By: Czech_Made Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
Mine looked like this:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by CCCC
Well, you younger guys had some really nice rides compared to what I could get/afford - I'm impressed. Don't have a photo of my HS car (I didn't even have a camera in HS) but it was a not-as-nice version of this.

[Linked Image]

A cousins boyfriend and now husband of about 40+ years had a '47 Chevy that looked pretty much identical to the one in the picture, same color too. IIRC, his had a custom two toned Naugahyde interior, as well as a few other custom modifications.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by rost495

My first car was the inherited 63' Chevy II station wagon. The first vehicle I bought was a 66' Dodge 1/2 ton step side that came from some old guy in your neck of Fayette county, Jeff! $500!

There were some tough old trucks out there... saw a 70 ford just while ago driving through town. Thinking, yep, probably outlive new vehicles too...
Originally Posted by Czech_Made
Mine looked like this:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thankfully I never lived where there were any of those, and after riding a few in the Baltimore/DC area on a long weekend I pray I never live anywhere or have to live anywhere congested enough that makes those things make sense.
Who says "they sure ain't making them like they use-to"? shocked cool

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lega...y-Classic-Trucks/171970266178836?fref=nf

http://www.legacyclassictruck.com/
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
sadly no pix and that's a shame as it had custom paint

'71 Dodge Charger, with a 383 in it.

twas black with black leather interior with a couple of angled white stripes on the front instead of the pinstriping as they came from the factory

had some starter issues, believed I replaced it twice.

once in front of gf's house that I wasn't supposed to be dating (according to her dad)

Posted By: shootinurse Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
This was mine at graduation (1969): '57 Dodge Coronet, 2-door, 325 2 bbl, dual exhaust, push-button Torqueflite. Mine was cream body with a coral roof.
[Linked Image]

My brother's car was a '63 Galaxie convertible, white, 352 2-bbl with dual exhaust, bucket seats and automatic in the console.
[Linked Image] Nice rides.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pal Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
While in high school I bought my first car, a 1949 Ford 4-door sedan that had been lightly side-swiped down the passenger side, but ran good. Paid $65 for it.

Then I found a 1951 Ford Victoria 2-door hardtop with a beautiful body and interior, but a shot engine, for $150. So I swapped the '49 V-8 into the '51 and was stylin'.

Looked like these, except my Victoria was black with white top:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: 1beaver_shooter Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
73 Galaixe 500 blue with white top 351w, 4door, no air, am radio. Put 275k on it,overhauled motor,put another265k and was still driving it to work when I lost it in the flood from Floyd in99.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
Not my car, I don't have a photo, but found this on the net. Mine wasn't nearly this nice but was identical. A 1969 Firebird bought used in 1974. It had been hit, and rained on with the top down. I paid $500 for it. Dad knew a guy who fixed the dent and painted it for $200. Dad and I replaced the ruined carpet.

I wish I could have kept it, but gas prices doubled shortly after buying and it got 6-10 mpg. I had to work 2 hours each day just to pay for the gas to get to work and back with a typical high school job.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cv540 Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
1972 Buick Electra 225 2 door (kinda). Bought it for $100. Had the 455 that got about 10 mpg when in tune, mine had a bad choke, and the exhaust was rotted off just below the exhaust manifold, so I think I got about 8 mpg.

I was told by my parents that they always knew when I was close to home because the dog would stand up and start wagging his tail when he heard the rumble of the car a few blocks off.

The hood had sprung up on a previous owner, and thus the springs were gone, so I had to muscle open the hood and prop it open with a baseball bat.

The 3/4 vinyl roof was rotted away and in tatters that wafted in the wind.

It was a two door, except the passenger side door opening mechanism was broken, so that door wouldn't open, thus it was a 1 door. I used Armorall liberally on the vinyl seat to allow dates to slide over easier to the passenger side after entering on the drivers side.

Nothing will throw fear into a fathers heart faster than seeing his little princess slide across the seat of such a car, and hearing us rumble away.

When I first bought it, the blower motor for the heater didn't work, so you only got a bit of heat. (Later I had a shadetree mechanic wire a toggle switch into the blower motor, so I had either no fan or the fan on high.)

The rubber strip between the front and rear window on the drivers side was missing, so it allowed a nice amount of fresh air in. A buddy of mine who I picked up on my way to school decided it was better to wait outside for the bus in a Wisconsin January--because he eventually got into a warm bus, than it was to ride all the way to school with me.

Raced a friend of mine once, he had his late 70s Firebird with a smallblock he and his father built as a hotrod project. I won, which really pissed him off.

Sadly, I never bothered to take a photo of it.
Posted By: RobJordan Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
I had a Ford Galaxy 500, which I had to share with my older sister. I have no idea what year it was---late 60s. It was a nice car till I ran into it with a front end loader loaded with hay bales. Dented up the right rear quarter panel quite nicely. blush
Posted By: Snorkel Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
I had a 1968 Coupe with a 351 Windsor.Far from stock. I lost my license in that car. I wish I still had it. I sold it to pay the fines to get my license back.
Posted By: T LEE Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
One just like this, wish I still had it. Flat head six W/3 on the tree.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: roundoak Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
I was even practical way back then in high school. But Dad let me have the family 1959 Oldsmobile on date night.

1947 Ford

[Linked Image]
Posted By: colodog Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
'72 Toyota Corolla, the "Babe Magnet", not! whistle
I was cheap even then.
Posted By: GeoW Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
Had a 69 Camaro, 327, Fathom Green, ordered from the factory.

Just like the one in the limber dick's Viagra commercial of him driving one in the desert and apparently both run hot and they share a liter of water and drive off.

My car was identical almost.

Posted By: seal_billy Re: High school cars - 04/10/15
1967 chevy step side truck. Still have it but its rough. Gonna start restoration soon but will have to postpone for a while as I got 6700 dollars worth of doctor bills, washing machine went out and heat pump all in a 5 day period. Damn I would love to catch a break someday!

She's rough but she has factory air, power brakes and power steering. Rare in 67. Gonna find a fleet side and can the step bed.
Posted By: TheKid Re: High school cars - 04/11/15
1979 ford bronco, ranger XLT package. 400M, C6, AC, tilt, cruise, all the bells and whistles, came with almost every option available minus the GT steering wheel, CB radio, and a console. Wimbledon white and dark jade metallic two tone.
I canned all the smog nonsense and replaced the intake and carb with Edelbrock goodies. As well as dual exhaust with the shortest glass pack mufflers I could find. Mickey Thompson Classic II wheels and 33x12.50 mud grips.

Great old truck, sounded good, ran good, and looked good. Usually jerked the top off and cleared a parking spot in the barn right after Easter every spring since it would be warm enough to be able to stand driving around topless. Lots of good memories of cruising around on weekend nights with Deep Purple cranking out of the 8 track player.
[Linked Image] Not mine but identical with the exception that the exhaust was routed in front of the rear tires with chrome down spouts.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: High school cars - 04/11/15
Looked like this one.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GonHuntin Re: High school cars - 04/11/15
Bought this one during my senior year and still have it.

[Linked Image]

Current condition
[Linked Image]

Posted By: mathman Re: High school cars - 04/11/15
Mine was similar to this one:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: High school cars - 04/11/15
1969 plum crazy purple charger with a 440 and 727 torque flight trans. I Acquired too many tickets so my folks made me sell it after about a year.
Next up was a 65 Mustang A code. Black with red interior, 289 4V and 4 speed toploader. Not near as fast as the Charger, but it still attracted the attention of the cops.
Posted By: wwartstudio Re: High school cars - 04/12/15
1972 Matador with 304 and 4 br Holly
Posted By: GeoW Re: High school cars - 04/12/15
I saw old boy, believe it was an Allison, drive a Matador at Daytona that year..

Hell no it wasn't.. It was Dave Marcis in 1973.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: High school cars - 04/12/15
Originally Posted by roundoak
I was even practical way back then in high school. But Dad let me have the family 1959 Oldsmobile on date night.

1947 Ford

[Linked Image]

That is a nice looking truck. Have you still got it?
Posted By: mark shubert Re: High school cars - 04/12/15
'63 Scout 1/2 cab. Then a '68 Scout full cab. 1/2 was tan, white cab, small 4 cyl, 3 speed - '68 was big 4 cyl 3 speed and Mogen David purple.
First I bought was a '52 Chevy Powerglide Deluxe with 235, visor, and skirts!
Posted By: Youper Re: High school cars - 04/12/15
I started with '68 Dodge Polara 2 door with a 318. Nothing fancy, but I liked it. After a couple of years I sold it and got a '73 Buick Limited 225 4 door. That was okay in a way, but I liked the Dodge better.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: High school cars - 04/12/15
I drove a 1957 Ford Station Wagon in High School. Fold those seats down, it was a party-mobile. laugh
Posted By: BIGR Re: High school cars - 04/12/15
1969 C-10, 1/2 ton Chevy truck. Straight 6 (250 CI), three on the tree and a 4.10 rear gear. Baby blue with the white top.

Wished I still had today.
Posted By: Idared Re: High school cars - 04/12/15
Similar to this but not in as nice condition. 1949 Ford F-1 with flathead 6 and 3 speed transmission.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: passport Re: High school cars - 04/12/15
Originally Posted by wwartstudio
1972 Matador with 304 and 4 br Holly

I had one of these too!! Straight 6, NO ps or pb. If you rolled up the windows, locked the door the cat could EASILY get out!! Paid 200 bucks for it, had more fun in that car than any other
Originally Posted by NathanL

[Linked Image]

I had one of these to in "Solor Gold" with 6.6. Pretty fast for its day.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: High school cars - 04/12/15

the one I really wish I still had........

'70 Cuda w/440 six pack...auto..4.10 gears...shaker hood..

bought from original owner for $1400......I would give my left nut

to have it back.....sorry no pics...only memories..... cry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRLwHECHjYA
Dream car. How could you ever sell it?
Posted By: tikkanut Re: High school cars - 04/12/15
Originally Posted by passport

was a dumb azz kid............ cry

it was black.........OMG....... cry

cry
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by passport

was a dumb azz kid............ cry

it was black.........OMG....... cry

cry

LMAO!!
Posted By: roundoak Re: High school cars - 04/12/15
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Originally Posted by roundoak

1947 Ford

[Linked Image]

That is a nice looking truck. Have you still got it?

No, I kept it in good condition for several years, but later could not justify a major overhaul and sold it to a local vehicle restoration shop. The shop eventually sold it to a person in Tehachapi, Ca.
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: High school cars - 04/12/15
Originally Posted by ironbender
My first car I bought from my gradfather the summer before my sophomore year in college. Very similar to this '66, but mine was a 1967 Fairlane in the same Pebble Beige.

[Linked Image]

My Dream Car. Dad had 67 427 4sp convertible that he sold before he went to Nam. It was before I was thought of. He had pictures and it was beauty. Always liked the 66 and 67 Fairlanes.
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: High school cars - 04/13/15
My first car was a truck. 69 F250 360 4spd 2wd brakes worked part of the time. Learned not to fly up to stop signs with that one. A few months later I got a 77 Dodge Monaco 318 2b paid $125.00 for it with a bad trans. Guys that sold it me had a pile of the old 904 transmission he said I know 1 of them is good I just dont know which one. It was the fifth one. I could pull and replace trannys in that car in my sleep.
Posted By: pal Re: High school cars - 04/13/15
Originally Posted by Idared
...1949 Ford F-1...

[Linked Image]

Yay for another '49 Ford. smile
Posted By: 5sdad Re: High school cars - 04/13/15
Originally Posted by tikkanut

the one I really wish I still had........

'70 Cuda w/440 six pack...auto..4.10 gears...shaker hood..

bought from original owner for $1400......I would give my left nut

to have it back.....sorry no pics...only memories..... cry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRLwHECHjYA

Peterson Motors in Storm Lake had a Dodge Coronet Six-Pack on the showroom floor for quite some time. One day it was gone. The next day it was on the used lot. The owner-in-brief had the misfortune of choosing a section of highway being patrolled by the Iowa Highway Patrol's airplance for a race against a Mustang. Not sure what hit he took in depreciation.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: High school cars - 04/13/15
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
1969 plum crazy purple charger with a 440 and 727 torque flight trans. I Acquired too many tickets so my folks made me sell it after about a year.
Next up was a 65 Mustang A code. Black with red interior, 289 4V and 4 speed toploader. Not near as fast as the Charger, but it still attracted the attention of the cops.

I had a Plum Crazy 1970 Charger with a black vinyl top (my friend, Joe, called it the purple pimp mobile) - just a 318. The paint on the hood completely peeled off. Dodge was generous enough to provide the paint to have it redone if I paid for the paint job.
Posted By: mountainclmbr Re: High school cars - 04/13/15
I drove a 1969 Buick Riviera with a 430 4BBL. It was like this photo, but was light metallic blue.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: High school cars - 04/13/15
Nothing near as cool as most of you here...but I had a 1991 Dodge Spirit. It had the 3.0 V-6 and ran really well. I had it for about 2 years and put 38K miles on her. "Sold" it to my brother when I left for BMT for $1. He drove it a couple of years and then gave it to my cousin...She drove it for a few years and it finally gave up the ghost. 220,000 miles on it and it just lost oil pressure. Not too bad for having a few kids beating the slop out of it for a while.
Posted By: Flyer01 Re: High school cars - 04/13/15
Originally Posted by Idared
Similar to this but not in as nice condition. 1949 Ford F-1 with flathead 6 and 3 speed transmission.

[Linked Image]

Not High School but a year or so later I bought and drove my Grandfathers 49, Red with Black Fenders, rebuilt the brakes, electrical, was in rough shape, looking back almost 40 years wish I would have kept it.

Flyer
Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: High school cars - 04/13/15
GF I had Senior year and into college had a 67 Pontiac Tempest. Man, that big old backseat was made for fun.
Posted By: GeoW Re: High school cars - 04/13/15
Not mine but I see it on the road from time to time.. Now here's a good ole boy that's a free thinker!

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Seven_Heaven Re: High school cars - 04/13/15
[Linked Image]

My first car, a '57 Buick Special like this one except mine was all black. The Buick was purchased after I figured out that riding in Chicago traffic in the snow wasn't fun on my main ride pictured below.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Otter Re: High school cars - 04/13/15
Couldn't find a pic of the car I was "allowed" to drive occasionally while in HS, so this will have to do . . . 1958 Pontiac Star Chief HT. Folks had one with just the opposite color scheme as this one (light green/dark green were opposite) . . . Oh, and it was a 4-door. Leather seats, 389 ci, 4 bbl and a 4-speed auto tranny and rear wheel fender skirts. It was a really sharp ride. A whole bunch of chrome inside and out. Fun to pull into the gas station (remember when they were full service?) and watch the attendant try to find where to put the nozzle in. Burned premium gas and got about 8 mpg. Lot of car for a youngster to handle but it was a lot of fun. I swear the hubcaps weighed over 20 pounds. AND one side had RH threads on the lugs an the other side was LH threads.

[Linked Image]

BTW - I didn't have a car until 2nd semester of my senior year in college, but it was a 2-door '57 Chevy 210.
Posted By: BARNDOG Re: High school cars - 04/14/15
No pics. 69' SuperBEE, 383 with 440 heads, Hooker headers, Edelbrock, Holley 750, 3/4 crane cam, etc. That was one chick, I mean ticket magnet.
Posted By: mathman Re: High school cars - 04/14/15
Originally Posted by BARNDOG
No pics. 69' SuperBEE, 383 with 440 heads, Hooker headers, Edelbrock, Holley 750, 3/4 crane cam, etc. That was one chick, I mean ticket magnet.

According to a reference book I have, throughout 1968, '69, '70, and most of '71 all high performance 383 and 440 engines used the same head casting, with the same part number, and the same size valves.
© 24hourcampfire