Home
The last two weeks my transplant co-ordinating Nurse has been ending our conversations with "Look both ways and DON'T get a cold!" Upon my questioning this she goes on to tell me that if I am even a little bit sick or have a fever they will not attempt an already risky 6 hour surgery. And this place schedules WAY out.

Some of my family is already in Seattle, flight reservations of other family members have been made and purchased, Sheri has approval for a 30 day leave of absence which just started, and I am SO ready to get these ginormous, Cyst packed and now failed kidneys OUT....

And get rid of so many nasty effects of Kidney failure. Start getting my energy and life back.

But I have come down with a lousy sore throat! Can barely swallow except by straining VERY hard to do so. Have a fever that makes me feel like I have a fresh sunburn on my face, not good at all. Worst possible timing here.

My cousin/kidney donor suggested that I start drinking hot Slippery Elm bark tea with unfiltered honey, lemon and Cayenne pepper in it and I am trying to sip some of that concoction down as I type. Also gargling it. But I am curious if anyone else has heard this recipe, and what are your favorite ways to knock out something like this really quick.

I also would love a prayer or two over this. Ordinarily I would not request my friends here to pray over a mere sore throat, but with this one the stakes are pretty high.

We had planned to head for Seattle today, but decided another day of rest and eating really well was a wise choice. My pre op appointments begin on Monday morning. I am also taking lots of high potency vitamins with emphasis on Vitamin C.

Thank you in advance for the ideas and especially for the prayers!

Mark
Vitamin C: at least 5,000 mg/day. Also, find an old-school doctor who will give you a Vitamin C injection, that'll really perk you up.
A cold with treatment usually resolves in about a week and a half.

If a cold is not treated, it usually resolves in about 10 days.

Your choice.
Gargle hydrogen peroxide.
Originally Posted by RickyD
Gargle hydrogen peroxide.

I got that idea in a personal message, as well. Since I am up at 3:30 here for my usual pain meds anyway, I am going to give that a try!

Getting up for the day in two hours, pack and roll outta here. I will check back here for other tips and ideas then.

Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Vitamin C: at least 5,000 mg/day. Also, find an old-school doctor who will give you a Vitamin C injection, that'll really perk you up.

My dosage has been a bit short of that, so I will ramp it up to at least that level today and tomorrow.

29 hours left to be rid of this enough to get the MD/Nephrologist who is doing my pre op physical to sign off on the "GO" form he must fill out.
Originally Posted by ironbender

Your choice.

And the difference between 10 days and a week and a half is?
I get at least one bad sore throat a year and my girl friend gets one a few times a year.

I found that gargling warm water with cayenne pepper works pretty well. It acts as an antiseptic and anti-inflammatory.

It's not as bad as it sounds, but if you have some yogurt to put on your tongue afterwards and swish around and than spit it helps with the nastiness.
Originally Posted by MissouriEd

Your choice.

He needed the 'tongue in cheek' smiley face after that post. Those two being one in the same was exactly his point.

I have heard this viewpoint expressed before, but I have seen God heal people from far worse, in an instant. This is why I covet the prayers more than the tips and suggestions but with the stakes so high here, I will be aggresively employing BOTH.

In the past hour since I logged on I have downed two cups of the hot Slippery Elm Tea with lemon, Cayenne pepper and honey added. And prayed much. FWIW, I am feeling quite a bit better right now! smile

Have to rise and shine for the rest of the day in one hour, so this is all for right now.

Today will have asphaltangel and me loading up a very few remaining items, then rolling our now home away from home for 5-6 weeks Ford Diesel pickup and 30 foot ( and WIDE, too! equipped with a real living room including a full sized sofa and swiveling recliner grin ) 5th wheel camping trailer. Diagonally, pretty much all the way across this beautiful state to the "Trailer Inn" RV park.
http://homeremediesforlife.com/apple-cider-vinegar-for-sore-throat/

I would go the mix with honey route near the bottom of the article.

Cold-eze - Zinc Oxide - The stuff works!
Fingers crossed. Hope you beat this, ace your pre - op and have a safe and successfull procedure.

Only tip I can give - relax. Do not stress. Sleep, rest and sleep somemore. Then rest.

Your body will need any energy it has.

Your choice.

Yep, pretty much. Unless God intervenes in a miraculous way, your surgery should probably be postponed, Mark. The risks are too great. Be honest with your transplant team and the anesthesiologist.
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
Cold-eze - Zinc Oxide - The stuff works!

it works if you use it when you first feel your getting sick and it is a cold....if it is not a cold or the symptoms are already rolling along full bore its going to do jack, your to late....
Originally Posted by DocRocket

Your choice.

Yep, pretty much. Unless God intervenes in a miraculous way, your surgery should probably be postponed, Mark. The risks are too great. Be honest with your transplant team and the anesthesiologist.

Yep. It doesnt look good for this time. Id hate to have a virus move down into my lungs and be hacking up phlem just after being opened up.
Wish it wasnt so Mark, but these guys are right. Id be resting, drinking broth and letting the doc know whats up. And preparing to postpone. God bless ya, good luck with whatever you decide.
Originally Posted by MissouriEd

Your choice.

Maybe a couple hours.

I will join in prayer.
good luck.
Originally Posted by safariman
The last two weeks my transplant co-ordinating Nurse has been ending our conversations with "Look both ways and DON'T get a cold!" Upon my questioning this she goes on to tell me that if I am even a little bit sick or have a fever they will not attempt an already risky 6 hour surgery. And this place schedules WAY out.

Some of my family is already in Seattle, flight reservations of other family members have been made and purchased, Sheri has approval for a 30 day leave of absence which just started, and I am SO ready to get these ginormous, Cyst packed and now failed kidneys OUT....

And get rid of so many nasty effects of Kidney failure. Start getting my energy and life back.

But I have come down with a lousy sore throat! Can barely swallow except by straining VERY hard to do so. Have a fever that makes me feel like I have a fresh sunburn on my face, not good at all. Worst possible timing here.

My cousin/kidney donor suggested that I start drinking hot Slippery Elm bark tea with unfiltered honey, lemon and Cayenne pepper in it and I am trying to sip some of that concoction down as I type. Also gargling it. But I am curious if anyone else has heard this recipe, and what are your favorite ways to knock out something like this really quick.

I also would love a prayer or two over this. Ordinarily I would not request my friends here to pray over a mere sore throat, but with this one the stakes are pretty high.

We had planned to head for Seattle today, but decided another day of rest and eating really well was a wise choice. My pre op appointments begin on Monday morning. I am also taking lots of high potency vitamins with emphasis on Vitamin C.

Thank you in advance for the ideas and especially for the prayers!

Mark

Luck to you. Don't want to catch what can be caught in a hospital.
More Prayers on the way, Mark!
Originally Posted by eyeball
Originally Posted by DocRocket

Your choice.

Yep. It doesnt look good for this time. Id hate to have a virus move down into my lungs and be hacking up phlem just after being opened up.

Oh yeah, you might ask about cough suppressants because coughing after surgery sucks.

[bleep], if its your cousin that is the donor, and your not in any immediate jeopardy why take any additional risk? Call your doctor and let them make any decisions to adjust time frame.

Repercussions could be life threatening and expensive.

Phil
I hope all works out well for you.
Originally Posted by Greyghost

[bleep], if its your cousin that is the donor, and your not in any immediate jeopardy why take any additional risk? Call your doctor and let them make any decisions to adjust time frame.

Repercussions could be life threatening and expensive.

Phil

This in spades. Risking surgery of this type if you even think you are sick or going to be or still sick...

I know what you want, but don't be dumb about it. Could easily kill you.
Exercise and lots of water.
Use a neti pot, just like for sinus care. Three days will have you much better.

Better yet is this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/131448431862
Prayers sent for your healthy outcome - and Sherri's sanity.
Don't do anything dumb, and may God bless.

I second what mark says!
There is no cure for the common cold. There are remedies to make you more comfortable but the cold will run it's course.

Strange that we can perform kidney, liver, lung, and heart transplants.. but we can't cure the common cold.

Prayers that you do the right thing..

g
© 24hourcampfire