Home
Hey, it was only a $1.3B contract, and 2/3rds of the kids actually returned theirs.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/0...fund_after_apple_delivered_rotten_fruit/

The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) has informed Apple that it will not accept continued deliveries of iPads to students, and will be seeking a multi-million-dollar refund from the company.

The Instructional Technology Initiative (ITI) – a programme estimated to have cost up to $1.3bn and which would have seen the LAUSD purchase iPads for every student in the district – is set to be committed to the flames following an escalating series of cock-ups after kids hacked their tablets, and the district wants to recover its expenses from Apple, according to local radio station KPCC.

In 2013, LAUSD administrators backtracked on their policy of allowing students to take their school-issued iPads home after kids in the pilot scheme inevitably subverted the "device management" software to free up their internet and app access.

Rather than consider the educational value that could be produced by engaging with young, motivated people who had hacked their way to freedom Facebook, the officials seem to consider human nature an impediment to their scheme and chalked the incident up in the Negatives column. When LAUSD bureaucrats subsequently demanded kids return the tablets, only two thirds were actually handed back.

A year later the already-troubled scheme was suspended following an investigation by KPCC, which raised questions about the LAUSD Superintendent John Deasy's connections with both Apple, who were delivering the iPads, and Pearson, who were loading them with educationware. John Deasy, who denies any wrongdoing, has since resigned from his position. The LA Times has reported that the FBI are now conducting a criminal investigation into the affair.

David Holmquist, LAUSD attorney, wrote to Apple's general counsel to complain that: "While Apple and Pearson promised a state-of-the-art technological solution for ITI implementation, they have yet to deliver it. As [LAUSD] approach the end of the school year, the vast majority of students are still unable to access the Pearson curriculum on iPads."

In a statement sent to The Register, a Pearson spokesperson said: "​This was a large-scale implementation of new technologies and there have been challenges with the initial adoption, but we stand by the quality of our performance.​"​
Same guys who rolled out the Obamacare website?
Doesn't California know they're broke? And this is why.
stunning ain't it? That anyone, any where, believes anything .gov says.
I challenged one of my liberal acquaintances the other day, to point out a single Federal project or plan that has ever worked out as planned. He could not.
No, California doesn't know they're broke. They've got 37,253,956 people in the state and they're pretending that each and every one of them is putting more into the system than they are taking out. When they want to do a feel good, but obvious to most people, doomed to expensive failure, program, the bureaucrats just ask, "how much kickback am I getting?" and then they just do it. Since it's "for the children" they know the majority of the liberal populous will let it slide once it reaches it's inevitable conclusion. The fed will bail them out eventually. They're "too big to fail".
so they're pissed because kids hacked into the ipad and that is Apple's fault?
sounds like it but really because it won't access its intended curriculum software.
My son's School district gives every child past 9th grade an ipad
Not much in the way of LA'S problems that I've heard of either
Originally Posted by KFWA
so they're pissed because kids hacked into the ipad and that is Apple's fault?

If Apple guarantees that it can't be hacked into but it's trivial to hack, then it is Apple's fault.
Originally Posted by fluffy

Local high school kids here got Mac Airs 10". Not much problem with the kids, some software problems. Probably fixed by next year. Parents had the option to buy insurance and only a fool would pass on it.

Lower grades got Ipads. I haven't heard of problems but no personal experience.

The only problem is they also stopped teaching cursive writing and no one can sign their name. TFF
true but I'm surprised Apple would make such a claim or even provide an interface on top of their OS to begin with.
Originally Posted by RickyD
Doesn't California know they're broke? And this is why.

No, we actually aren't. We've even instituted a rainy day fund with our surplus, and are addressing future unfunded liabilities. Don't you keep up?

But, as to the LAUSD - yeah, they're a joke that's just not funny...

P.S. I've had professional experience dealing with Pearson. It took three months to complete what took every other engagement around the world, two weeks.

My granddaughter who's in first grade got her ipad in school this year. She isn't allowed to bring it home until next year. The granddaughter in sixth grade has had a school ipad for a few years now. She brings her ipad home every night to do her homework. It gets turned back in to the school for summer vacation, will be reissued to her at the start of the fall semester.
All 3 of mine have issued iPads.
OPM.

What do they care?
No, we actually aren't. We've even instituted a rainy day fund with our surplus, and are addressing future unfunded liabilities. Don't you keep up?
When you book expected revenue on an accrual basis and expenditures on a cash basis, anything will look better.
When you book expected revenue on an accrual basis and expenditures on a cash basis, anything will look better.

Sorry, if anything, CA is moving closer and closer to GAAP.

As for cash based expenditures: from

http://www.lao.ca.gov/analysis/2011/revenues/revenue_accrual_013111.aspx

California Began Accruing Revenues in 1966. By 1966, the state already used accrual accounting for its expenditures. The 1966–67 Governor’s Budget proposed ending cash basis accounting and instituting accrual accounting for the state’s revenues.

(emphasis added)

Why don't you just admit you don't know Jack about CA's financial status, and are just bleating away like the rest of the CA haters?

I don't hate California, but don't trust liberal governments to balance a budget. I know what I've read and expressed it. Hopefully, you are right, but I highly doubt that. Truth and adherence to good policy is fleeting in the wake of crisis for any public entity, all the more if dominated by liberals.
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

My granddaughter who's in first grade got her ipad in school this year. She isn't allowed to bring it home until next year. The granddaughter in sixth grade has had a school ipad for a few years now. She brings her ipad home every night to do her homework. It gets turned back in to the school for summer vacation, will be reissued to her at the start of the fall semester.

I'm very surprised. While I can envision a lot of use for them in a school environment, I cannot in any way see that it's a good idea to give them to kids full time during the school year. I have one and I'm a computer guy, but too much use isn't helping the kids imho.
Don't remember if I've ever heard of the program or not before today! I'm taking it for granted that it didn't work out or there'd be no fuss. 1.3 billion, Apple made a killing, and who was it Pearson. As to the students, you do realize your talking about the 2nd largest school district in the country, and one in which it is believed education is everything whether wanted or not. I imagine it was an equalizing move, not to mention getting rid of expensive text books in an electronic age, and one in which all students are not on an equal footing.

Being that I don't live in the Los Angeles City School District, the City of Los Angeles, or even the County of Los Angeles... ain't none of my business!

Phil

...Truth and adherence to good policy is fleeting in the wake of crisis for any public entity, all the more if dominated by liberals.

No argument here.
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

I'm very surprised. While I can envision a lot of use for them in a school environment, I cannot in any way see that it's a good idea to give them to kids full time during the school year. I have one and I'm a computer guy, but too much use isn't helping the kids imho.

We're gonna give 'em out next year, not sure I like it either.

The amount of time kids spend on electronics as it is is stunning, and handwriting/spelling skills are going down the tubes. Give 'em an actual saw or wrench and they flounder.

Birdwatcher
© 24hourcampfire