Home
Haven't been looking really, but yesterday I was in Academy getting some fishing stuff, and they had Winchester 555's, so I got two while I was there. Pretty big stack left over...

Today I was in town and saw a new gunshop I had not been in, and decided to look around...

Lo and behold they had Remington 525's, and a bunch of it. No limit. I bought two of those as well.

2 days, 2000+ rounds, and wasn't even trying... smile

What gives? Is the drought ending?
they are doing that to confuse you, get comfortable, then it hits.
A week ago Saturday, I stopped in at KY Gun Company's storefront, and bought 1000 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag HPs, but two bricks were the limit.

Happy to find them, they shoot well in ALL my various rimfires, though not the BEST in any of them. First HPs I'd seen in several years, at that.

I have Federal Auto Match I picked up last fall, and a couple of the Winchester 555s, too. I'm not hurting for anything except .22 Shorts, which I need for an old gallery gun I have.
None around here yet
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Haven't been looking really, but yesterday I was in Academy getting some fishing stuff, and they had Winchester 555's, so I got two while I was there. Pretty big stack left over...

Today I was in town and saw a new gunshop I had not been in, and decided to look around...

Lo and behold they had Remington 525's, and a bunch of it. No limit. I bought two of those as well.

2 days, 2000+ rounds, and wasn't even trying... smile

What gives? Is the drought ending?

It's been that way since 2012. Certain locales get stocked up, and then it's gone. Same thing happens with powder.

Getting better? Yes. Ending? No.

Travis
Except for stumbling across the rare oasis, it's still dry as a bone here regarding 22lr ammo.

I wish I could find some more Federal Automatch. My Ruger rimfire predator shoots it as well as Aquila rifle match ammo.
Posted By: EdM Re: Someone Turn Loose the .22lr? - 04/17/15
Dropped into Walmart for a peak yesterday and they had a fair bit of CCI 100 packs. I bought three.
Very little to be seen here anywhere.
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
A week ago Saturday, I stopped in at KY Gun Company's storefront, and bought 1000 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag HPs, but two bricks were the limit.

Happy to find them, they shoot well in ALL my various rimfires, though not the BEST in any of them. First HPs I'd seen in several years, at that.

I have Federal Auto Match I picked up last fall, and a couple of the Winchester 555s, too. I'm not hurting for anything except .22 Shorts, which I need for an old gallery gun I have.

It seems to me I picked a few boxes of .22 Short. I don't remember why I did, because I don't shoot them. Let me check when I get home and maybe I can help you out.

Bob

In 10 years or so, a lot of these boomer hoarders - the ones that haunt Walmart like trolls - are going to start dying off and their kids are going to open up their garages and see pallets of collapsing cardboard boxes filled with .22 lr and we'll hear cries across the land of "WTF are we going to do with all this chidt?"

Just checked downstairs...nope
No drought.
Plenty of 22lr.
Funny, its so old it has sticker price tags and no web address on the boxs.
The gun stores around here break the bricks down to 50 round packs and put up a sign that says "Only one box per customer per day"
Originally Posted by tjm10025

In 10 years or so, a lot of these boomer hoarders - the ones that haunt Walmart like trolls - are going to start dying off and their kids are going to open up their garages and see pallets of collapsing cardboard boxes filled with .22 lr and we'll hear cries across the land of "WTF are we going to do with all this chidt?"

"Umm... Bubba, that's our inheritance!" shocked cry
Have seen some Aguila around in Suncoast Florida. Wal mart is a desert. A small local shop has CCI Standard 100 packs and the Aguila. All are higher than a cat's back. What price are you paying on the ones you found?
Yup, We old [bleep] don't know chit and are totally [bleep] worthless. There should be an app for that.
Originally Posted by NARPI
Have seen some Aguila around in Suncoast Florida. Wal mart is a desert. A small local shop has CCI Standard 100 packs and the Aguila. All are higher than a cat's back. What price are you paying on the ones you found?

I got the 555's and 525's for about $30 each.

Doubt bulk ammo will go much lower than that for awhile.
Last Sat. Wal-Mart had Win. Super-X HPs for $9.95 per 100.
Also 555s.

Coach
22 shorts are harder to find than frogs hair. I got a couple model 1890's that only shoot 22 shorts. None around, haven't seen it for years. Thinking about selling the guns. Just kidding, not in a million years.
Getting easier to find around here. $0.10 round. Mostly Aguila. Every now and again federal auto match.

Ammofast.com and sgammo usually has some

Through all of this .17hmr has stayed on the shelves. Bought some the other day for $12 box

saw 500 thunderturds for $27 today. i haven't sunk that low yet and still have enough for a few years.
I have been scoring .22 mag fairly regularly. Its has been very scarce but it is letting up some.
A nearby Academy has had limited supplies, been picking up a couple of 100 round boxes each visit for a couple of months now. Haven't fired any yet. It is Winchester Varmint and Small game. 100 rounds were $7 or $8 IIRC.

Was in a big gunshop in Smyrna last week and they had tons of Norma 22's, about $8/50, but it is advertised as target ammo.
I checked the local Walmart an hour ago. Score!

[Linked Image]

The Auto-Match was $18.97 a box and the Mini-Mags were $7.47.
[Linked Image]

On Tuesday, some Hornady bullets showed up. It's a good start.
[Linked Image]

Bob
Posted By: MOGC Re: Someone Turn Loose the .22lr? - 04/17/15
I'd love to find some mini-mags... I have a couple semi auto handguns that really love the mini-mag but they are non-existent locally and I never find them in stock online.

I found one box of 100 CCI .22 Short HP's. If you need them, they're yours. Just PM me your address.

Bob
I am going to buy two bricks each week until I retire in five years.
I am buying Federal Champion 525 round bricks for 17.88.
I figure that I can reload most other types of ammo.
My real concern is that one of the Justices of the Supreme Court are going to die before OBAMMY moves out of the White House and into a holiday inn.

I haven't seen 22 for sale in over 3 years, glad I saw it coming before that Negro got elected.
I have been in two different Bass Pro shops, a Gander Mountain, and two Dick Sporting goods stores recently. No .22 LR in any of them.

I don't even bother to look in a Wally World any more.
- the ones that haunt Walmart like trolls -

There's 3 of them that haunt all 3 of the Walmart's around here on days that they know 22 ammo is coming in (still haven't figured out how they know). There is a guy that has started posting that info on a local gun site here (he won't tell how he knows, either), and last weekend he posted that one of them would have the 1,000 round boxes of M-22 the next morning. I was having trouble sleeping that night anyway, so about 1AM I decided I'll show those sonsabitches. I got dressed, grabbed a Clive Cussler book I hadn't read yet, and headed out to camp out at the Sporting Goods counter. 2 of them came ambling in about 4AM, saw me, and gave me a look that would strip paint. I just smiled at them, and they got pissed & left. That made it worth it right there. About 5AM, a couple other semi-regulars started coming in, with 3 or 4 more over the next couple hours. They brought the ammo out at 7AM, and I was the 1st one in line. They only had 2 boxes, so I bought both of them.
My Son bought 2-325 bricks at DFW Cabela's for $19.00/box. There was a limit of 1 per customer. He and his wife bought one each.

Jim
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Yup, We old [bleep] don't know chit and are totally [bleep] worthless. There should be an app for that.

Hell, Swifty, you aren't one of those pre-dawn Walmart guys, are you? Shame on you, if you are.
One call and the ammo man has 10,000 rounds. What shortage?
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Hell, Swifty, you aren't one of those pre-dawn Walmart guys, are you? Shame on you, if you are.

Have no need, still shooting on the 6 flats of 525 packs I bought back in 07 at 79.95 a flat. Only time I have shot 22LR in the last 6 years is when the grand kids want to shoot. Teaching the youngest 2 this year.

Good for you.
We get them here frequently... but this area is still full of both hoarders, and then also the tin foil hat types stocking up for the 'Big One'....like they are going to hold off the Feds doing the Randy Weaver- Ruby Ridge thing, with their 10/22s and the Walmart and BiMart 22 LR ammo...

I know a few spots I can get all I want... at $100 a box...

There are going to be some great estate auctions.

Ah, the assumptions of youth. One of these ol "boomer" types might have thought of that. If you have a back hoe, you take it with you in the hole, and then you youngins don't get it then either. Works for firearms too.
One of the things about being a boomer hoarder, is looking ahead and thus one doesn't run into times of scarcity.
I was looking at a brick of target .22 made by winchester yesterday, perfectly fine stuff, made probably in the 60's.
I got to shoot the older stuff first.
I think i am going to burn some tomorrow.
I was looking at some old ammo boxes on-line.
Your 50-60s .22 box may be worth as much as
the ammo.
Originally Posted by Bobcape

I found one box of 100 CCI .22 Short HP's. If you need them, they're yours. Just PM me your address.

Bob

I DO appreciate the offer, but I don't really shoot that old Remington M24 much, so I'm set for awhile. It is iron-sight-only, and my eyes don't agree to play along crazy .

Again, thanks for the offer. Next time I get up that direction, I'll buy you a cup of coffee or something.
Looka like prices are better elsewhere. 100 CCI Standard were $16 and change the Aguila box of 50 were $6 and change. The Aguila were there high velocity rounds but not the super high. box of 22 Mags were $24 for 50.
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

One of the things about being a boomer hoarder, is looking ahead and thus one doesn't run into times of scarcity.

Words of wisdom.
Originally Posted by poboy
I was looking at some old ammo boxes on-line.
Your 50-60s .22 box may be worth as much as
the ammo.

and there upon you have some of the problem, in lets say one had a 5k box of 60's remington peters. Most of the young whipper snappers have never shot good .22lf ammo.
ever once in a while its fun to hand a revolver to somebody and let them fire it. Then reload it with some of that stuff.
and they are asking if it's magnum .22lr.
i dug out a box of early 20century .22lr the other day, and i was looking to find it on the net. Kind of shocked me when i saw that 400dollar price tag.
Posted By: RDW Re: Someone Turn Loose the .22lr? - 04/19/15
I have not seen rimfire at the local store since Sandy, the cabinet is typically full of every other type of ammunition.

Walmart was the last of four stops on my trip through town and the stop was not for ammunition, I was going to pass on sporting goods at the opposite end of the store but went back, there were 7 boxes of CCI Mini Solid 100 packs with a three pack limit, I bought my limit for 6.77/100.

I learned a hard lesson with AR's and components in 2008 but the rimfire shortage caught me by surprise...I will never be without again.
© 24hourcampfire