Home
Posted By: deerhunter5555 Vandal-proof mailboxes - 04/17/15
Anybody built one they care to share?
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Vandal-proof mailboxes - 04/17/15
Well casing and concrete.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Vandal-proof mailboxes - 04/17/15
[Linked Image]
Now days with lawyers out to make a buck probably better off with a cheap plastic box on wood post.

Posted By: Steelhead Re: Vandal-proof mailboxes - 04/17/15
You can always do the well casing like Rancho suggested and weld into an old truck rim. Heavy as hell but still 'moveable' upon impact.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Vandal-proof mailboxes - 04/17/15
Non factor.
Thinking something like these....[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Vandal-proof mailboxes - 04/18/15
[Linked Image]
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Vandal-proof mailboxes - 04/18/15
Originally Posted by 12344mag
[Linked Image]

Where does a guy have to stand in line to get a "postman" like THAT one? laugh
Posted By: ringworm Re: Vandal-proof mailboxes - 04/18/15
Mine is 3'x3' brick. Looks like a big chimney.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Vandal-proof mailboxes - 04/18/15
heavy mail boxes here are illegal, at least to the point the PO won't deliver.. too much vehicle/person damage if hit...

Don't agree at all, but what options...
Posted By: ringworm Re: Vandal-proof mailboxes - 04/18/15
Mine would up end a UPS truck.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Vandal-proof mailboxes - 04/18/15
Years ago a guy I knew got tired of kids knocking down his rural mailbox so he rebuild the post out of an old railroad rail in cement. A few days later a kid came to the door asking to use his phone to call his dad. His pickup was down by the road with the radiator caved in.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Vandal-proof mailboxes - 04/18/15
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by 12344mag
[Linked Image]

Where does a guy have to stand in line to get a "postman" like THAT one? laugh

I know! You see the size of the guns on that gal?
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Vandal-proof mailboxes - 04/18/15
We had a problem with ours getting smashed by vandals, apparently with baseball bats, years ago at one plant. The mechanics built a new one out of 3/16" spring steel, reinforced with 3/4" square spring steel bars. I would have loved to have a video of the first time they whacked it with a bat grin
Posted By: logger Re: Vandal-proof mailboxes - 04/18/15
We did the same but sized it so that it would fit inside one of the large rural mail boxes. One night, it had about a 1/2" dimple in the top middle and after that - no more problems. We finally went to a heavy duty, locking mail box after mail was stolen out of a number of nearby boxes.
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
We had a problem with ours getting smashed by vandals, apparently with baseball bats, years ago at one plant. The mechanics built a new one out of 3/16" spring steel, reinforced with 3/4" square spring steel bars. I would have loved to have a video of the first time they whacked it with a bat grin

Similar situation, back in my high school days we had certain teacher who defined the word P.R.I.C.K. to the extreme!
He lived in the country and as you can well imagine his mail box was considered a target of opportunity for nearly every student he screwed over. Bricks, cinder blocks, even bowling balls were launched from vehicles driving by a pretty good clip.
He ended up having a box built from 1/4 plate similarly to the description above, after that the projectiles I mentioned only scuffed the paint.

(Honest Injun, I was not one of the perps) but I did witness the aftermath a time or two when the word got out.
Posted By: conrad101st Re: Vandal-proof mailboxes - 04/18/15
Our postal carriers or highway department ripped out all the hardcore mail boxes on our rural farm route and put in aluminum boxes on tiny poles b/c I gather they were worried about them basically being lethal boobie traps. It's hard to feel much sympathy for assmonkeys who get what they deserve though for trying to vandalize your property. Most of them are just drunk white trash who need an expensive lesson. You know the type - poachers, trespassers, and low-lifes who run hog dogs across your property.
This one is pretty cool looking

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Vandal-proof mailboxes - 04/18/15
Hope they removed all trees, power poles, fences etc.
Posted By: selmer Re: Vandal-proof mailboxes - 04/18/15
When I was in high school, there was a group of guys (of which I was NOT a part) that made busting up mailboxes a summer activity. The owners finally went to purchasing the large rural mailboxes, setting a standard mailbox inside and pouring concrete around the smaller box and mounting them on 6x6 posts. That fixed the problem after a couple of broken wrists happened to some of the football players...
Posted By: GonHuntin Re: Vandal-proof mailboxes - 04/18/15
I built mine out of a small portable air tank mounted to 3" pipe……and a front coil spring from a Pinto. There is a section of 3" pipe cemented into the ground, the coil spring is welded to the top of that, the mailbox is welded to another section of 3" pipe which is welded to the top of the coil spring.

The result is perfectly legal.

Lots of mailboxes on my road have been the victim of drive by baseball bats……strangely, mine has never been damaged. grin
Originally Posted by GonHuntin
I built mine out of a small portable air tank mounted to 3" pipe……and a front coil spring from a Pinto. There is a section of 3" pipe cemented into the ground, the coil spring is welded to the top of that, the mailbox is welded to another section of 3" pipe which is welded to the top of the coil spring.

The result is perfectly legal.

Lots of mailboxes on my road have been the victim of drive by baseball bats……strangely, mine has never been damaged. grin

Pics please
Posted By: GonHuntin Re: Vandal-proof mailboxes - 04/18/15
Here you go.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I think I posted that this is 3" pipe, I think it's actually 4".

Pity the fool that hits it with a bat!! This mailbox hits back! grin
That my cyber-friend is awesome.
I had a friend ,back in the day,fell asleep driving his day old f150,crossed the road,hit a mailbox mounted on a railroad tie, on the drivers side.
another six inches and he probably would have died
As it was,it took off the entire side of the truck.
totaled,one day old.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Vandal-proof mailboxes - 04/18/15
Hope he paid for a new mail box on a rail road tie.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Hope he paid for a new mail box on a rail road tie.

IIRC,it wasn't damaged in the least
Posted By: eh76 Re: Vandal-proof mailboxes - 04/18/15
kinda like an earthquake proof building...
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Vandal-proof mailboxes - 04/18/15
Hah! Nice.
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: Vandal-proof mailboxes - 04/19/15
Originally Posted by selmer
When I was in high school, there was a group of guys (of which I was NOT a part) that made busting up mailboxes a summer activity. The owners finally went to purchasing the large rural mailboxes, setting a standard mailbox inside and pouring concrete around the smaller box and mounting them on 6x6 posts. That fixed the problem after a couple of broken wrists happened to some of the football players...

I have seen this, let 'em try and beat that one down.
© 24hourcampfire