Home
Posted By: eh76 Manure - 04/18/15
Manure... An interesting fact Manure : In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything for export had to be transported by ship. It was also before the invention of commercial fertilizers, so large shipments of manure were quite common.

It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, not only did it become heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by-product is methane gas.

As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen. Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening. After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the instruction

' Stow high in transit ' on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this "volatile" cargo and start the production of methane.

Thus evolved the term ' S.H.I.T ' , (Stow High In Transit) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day. You probably did not know the true history of this word.

Neither did I.

I had always thought it was a golf term!

grin
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: Manure - 04/18/15
Cute.

But not exactly true:

he word s.h.i.t entered the modern English language via having been derived from the Old English nouns scite and
the Middle Low German schite, both meaning "dung," and the Old English noun scitte, meaning "diarrhea." Our most treasured cuss word has been with us a long time, showing up in written works both as a noun and as a verb as far back as the 14th century.

http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/[bleep].asp
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Manure - 04/18/15
Interesting. And it's still a golf term. laugh laugh laugh
It's also a shooting term that applies to 5th round flyers.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Manure - 04/18/15
Maybe we can get a pizzin match going on the origins of schit.... grin
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: Manure - 04/18/15
looks like we're there!
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Manure - 04/18/15
crap.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Manure - 04/18/15
you people don't know schit
Posted By: eh76 Re: Manure - 04/18/15
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Cute.

But not exactly true:

he word s.h.i.t entered the modern English language via having been derived from the Old English nouns scite and
the Middle Low German schite, both meaning "dung," and the Old English noun scitte, meaning "diarrhea." Our most treasured cuss word has been with us a long time, showing up in written works both as a noun and as a verb as far back as the 14th century.

Uh the post I made above was a joke..... crazy
Damn....there goes the pizzin match.......

How about the acronym created by 'For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge'?
Originally Posted by eh76
Cute.

But not exactly true:

Yea, but with some of the tinfoil crowd here just might have believed you!!
Originally Posted by ingwe

How about the acronym created by 'For Unlawful Carnal Caramel Knowledge'?

Now they might buy it.................. laugh
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: Manure - 04/18/15
Well I'm pizzed anyway cause some brainiacs say it's a major player in climate change,guess it was dino S.H.I.T all along and not an asteroid..who woulda thunk! crazy
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Manure - 04/18/15
Fertilizer in a ships hold can get a little sideways if ya ain't careful......

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_City_disaster

You're funny today....where is the REAL Ingwe?! shocked
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Manure - 04/18/15
Everyone knows you can't believe snopes....I'm good with EH's original story!
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Everyone knows you can't believe snopes....I'm good with EH's original story!

If snopes mentioned something about REPUBLICAN ships, then you couldn't believe them...
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Here he is! laugh

GFY
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Here he is! laugh

GFY
Oh,there you are. grin
Posted By: CCCC Re: Manure - 04/18/15

Schitty joke?

Posted By: las Re: Manure - 04/18/15
Stow High In Transit.

Yep, I try to keep mine there. Could be embarrassing otherwise.... smile
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Manure - 04/18/15
I don't know why it's called schitt, but I do know I have carried hundreds of pounds of it growing up for my grandmothers "cow tea" to put on her flower beds.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Manure - 04/18/15
The term is also highly functional on the last day of elk season when you stumble into a herd of 47 elk within 75 yds and there isn't a bull in the bunch to fill your tag.
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Manure - 04/18/15
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The term is also highly functional on the last day of elk season when you stumble into a herd of 47 elk within 75 yds and there isn't a bull in the bunch to fill your tag.

Sorry, schitt just doesn't cut it then. F U K K K K is much more appropriate!

Or all bulls when you have a cow tag cry
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Manure - 04/18/15
I've done it both ways.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Manure - 04/18/15

do you mean F.u.c.k?
Posted By: Scott F Re: Manure - 04/18/15

THIS! grin
Posted By: Seafire Re: Manure - 04/19/15
I do know it is a term used by sHerpes mom, when he was born.. and she had been hoping for a girl.... whistle
Posted By: BGunn Re: Manure - 04/19/15

Or when working on or around any mechanical object eek crazy
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: Manure - 04/19/15

Or all bulls when you have a cow tag cry

YUP, that happens
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: Manure - 04/19/15

I thought it was 'Fornication under consent of the king"
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Manure - 04/19/15

How about the acronym created by 'For Unlawful Camel Knowledge'?

That is what got sHerpes mom to scream schit!

She was hoping for a goat.
Posted By: sherp Re: Manure - 04/19/15
Cute.

But not exactly true:

Snopes is ran by liberals who kept falsely claiming uplifting emails about Bush/McCain/Romney/Republicans in General were false. They also claimed that Tomb of The Unknowns Guards do not take vows of celibacy and silence for life, ergo, everything on Snopes is a lie.
Posted By: dogzapper Re: Manure - 04/19/15

One of the funnest prairie dog hunts I ever had was on the Hougen Ranch out of Melstone, Montana.

Helen and Tom Hougen, the owners of the ranch, wanted me to "shoot out" a field below their home. It had oodles of dogs and they wanted the prairie dogs killed, but safely. Hey, it was a .22LR shot from their house.

The field was also scheduled to be have cow sh1t spread all over it that day. So, I elected to shoot the field AFTER the manure spreader had done it's thing.

DAMN, that was a fun shoot. Allan Hougen, Helen and Tom's son, ran over the small field and spread the sh1t really, really deep. Karen and I set up on the hill above the field and waited for Allan to drive his rig up the ranch road and out of sight.

Then, we went to work. A prairie dog would stick his/her head above the sh1t and one of us would blow him/her up. And another and another and another.

It soon became apparent that prairie dogs totally reject the idea of having their burrows covered over with cow sh1t and they climb above the scene ... and, in this case, they get shot.

After a little while, we shot up the case (500 rounds) of .223 Ackley ammo I'd brought down, so I scrambled to the rig for more boolits.

In that afternoon, in the shade of a tree in Tom and Helen's back yard, Karen and I shot over three cases (1,500 rounds +++) of .2323 Ackley ammo. And any misses were made up for by doubles and triples. I even got one QUAD!!!

It was an incredible afternoon and all because of SH1T, and prairie dog's objection to having their holes filled with it.

Damn, it was fun.

Easter Blessings,

Steve

PS. Oh yeah, I shot a monster of an antelope buck, one locally called "The Phantom," that morning. What a perfect day.

Posted By: eh76 Re: Manure - 04/19/15
Originally Posted by sherp
Cute.

But not exactly true:

Snopes is ran by liberals who kept falsely claiming uplifting emails about Bush/McCain/Romney/Republicans in General were false. They also claimed that Tomb of The Unknowns Guards do not take vows of celibacy and silence for life, ergo, everything on Snopes is a lie.

OK Chris calm down and go post more about gold coins now...there there litlle fella...
Posted By: sherp Re: Manure - 04/19/15
Originally Posted by sherp
Cute.

But not exactly true:

OK Chris calm down and go post more about gold coins now...there there litlle fella...

Not Chris and haven't posted anything about gold coins.

This time next year you will be thanking me for pointing out what Snopes is when we are both trying to sell the Republican candidate.

"Did you know John McCain fed everyone in attendance at the 2008 Republican National Convention with 5 loaves of bread and 2 fish when a DNC operative posing as the caterer never showed up? Don't check this out on Snopes because it is all true and anything indicating it didn't happen is nothing but lies!!!! Pass this on to everyone you know or you hate Ronald Reagan!!!"
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Manure - 04/19/15
Originally Posted by dogzapper

One of the funnest prairie dog hunts I ever had was on the Hougen Ranch out of Melstone, Montana.

Helen and Tom Hougen, the owners of the ranch, wanted me to "shoot out" a field below their home. It had oodles of dogs and they wanted the prairie dogs killed, but safely. Hey, it was a .22LR shot from their house.

The field was also scheduled to be have cow sh1t spread all over it that day. So, I elected to shoot the field AFTER the manure spreader had done it's thing.

DAMN, that was a fun shoot. Allan Hougen, Helen and Tom's son, ran over the small field and spread the sh1t really, really deep. Karen and I set up on the hill above the field and waited for Allan to drive his rig up the ranch road and out of sight.

Then, we went to work. A prairie dog would stick his/her head above the sh1t and one of us would blow him/her up. And another and another and another.

It soon became apparent that prairie dogs totally reject the idea of having their burrows covered over with cow sh1t and they climb above the scene ... and, in this case, they get shot.

After a little while, we shot up the case (500 rounds) of .223 Ackley ammo I'd brought down, so I scrambled to the rig for more boolits.

In that afternoon, in the shade of a tree in Tom and Helen's back yard, Karen and I shot over three cases (1,500 rounds +++) of .2323 Ackley ammo. And any misses were made up for by doubles and triples. I even got one QUAD!!!

It was an incredible afternoon and all because of SH1T, and prairie dog's objection to having their holes filled with it.

Damn, it was fun.

Easter Blessings,

Steve

PS. Oh yeah, I shot a monster of an antelope buck, one locally called "The Phantom," that morning. What a perfect day.

That sounds like a FUN time Steve.............as long as the prevailing winds were at your backs.grin
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Manure - 04/19/15
As a nerd, I feel compelled to say some things about manure.
The lower the Carbon to Nitrogen ratio, the more nutrients are in the manure.
Cow manure is not that low, but still high enough to attack hooves, so wood chips are spread on it.
Wood chips have a very high Carbon to Nitrogen ratio, and render the cow manure safe for cows to step on, but make a very poor fertilizer, as all the Nitrogen will stay locked up for a long time.

Chicken manure is the rocket fuel of the turd world, with the lowest Carbon to Nitrogen ratio.
© 24hourcampfire