Home
Posted By: Rock Chuck !@#$%&() post office - 05/15/15
I have a project going for which I need a special router bit that I can't get locally. I ordered one from Amazon that was shipped from Dallas via USPS. They mailed it out the same day.
If you look at a map, the direction from Dallas to Idaho is north west. So, why, today, a week later, is my bit sitting in Orlando?
Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/15/15
Where does ID fall in the Jade Helm exercise? Maybe youre not friendly and your mail has been siezed. grin
Posted By: RWE Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/15/15
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If you look at a map, the direction from Dallas to Idaho is north west. So, why, today, a week later, is my bit sitting in Orlando?

I once flew from Charlotte NC to Nashville, TN, and ended up with a 2 hour layover in Detroit. Nothing surprises me about shipping logistics.

Posted By: Leftybolt Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/15/15
I hear ya!

I too ordered something off Amazon that I need for a project. Was shipped two weeks ago and tracking shows it made it to Memphis,Tn(1hr 20min from me)9 days ago. Nobody at the USPS can tell me where it is! It never made it to my local post office so they aren't being very helpful. mad

Frustrating to say the least,

Leftybolt
Posted By: rost495 Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/15/15
Glad I haven't had any bad luck. But I"m sure sooner or later its coming.

We did send a Cert letter at work here, that took 3 weeks to travel about 200 miles...
Posted By: bruinruin Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/15/15
I mentioned it in a recent thread on the USPS, but I sent a check to SAS in Kentucky and it took 3 weeks to the day for it to arrive. I was just about to kiss those $$$ goodbye when I got the call that it had arrived.

Govt. Efficiency. Yep.
Posted By: RWE Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/15/15
If you want efficiency, short the postage and see how soon it comes back.
Originally Posted by RWE
If you want efficiency, short the postage and see how soon it comes back.

Not always. My wife used my postcard stamps($0.18?) to mail her bills. They all made it.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/15/15
Had a similar thing happen to me with a knife that Gene Ingram mailed me. Insured Priority Mail that should have taken 2 days. I tracked that knife hundreds of miles out of the way and got it in seven days. I opened a case on it when I saw that it was headed in the wrong direction. Crickets......
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/15/15
I call it the Postal Orifice, because it is a huge hole - into which stuff disappears.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/15/15
Originally Posted by RWE

I once flew from Charlotte NC to Nashville, TN, and ended up with a 2 hour layover in Detroit. Nothing surprises me about shipping logistics.

Remember when every flight in the U.S., even ones from Minneapolis to St. Paul or Dallas to Fort Worth, had to go through Denver?
Posted By: Sid Gray Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/15/15
Made a trade with a fellow member. He shipped USPS standard post. It took 3 weeks 1 day to get from Las Vegas to AR.
It went to ca, to dallas, back to ca, to memphis, where it sat for a week. I then called and they opened a case on it and i had the package in 3 days.
I shipped my item UPS and he had it in 3 days.
I wouldn't trust usps, but they are a necessary evil. No wonder they are going broke!
Posted By: ringworm Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/15/15
The part was in Orlando.
They shipped the box there to be filled.
Posted By: rylee1 Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/15/15
USPS is special sold a scope to a fellow member and shipped from Michigan to Missouri The shipping tube arrived about 10 days later with a tag attached stating arrived from Oklahoma with no contents. Someone from USPS opened the tube took the scope put the packing material back in and sent it on its way. I lose ha but I learned my lesson
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/15/15
The big joke is how they report my shipment's progress to Amazon. Originally it was to arrive on the 14th. They screwed it up and then changed the arrival date to the 21st so Amazon is showing it as 'on time'. On time for what? My funeral?
Posted By: tdbob Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/15/15
Orlando? Maybe it's checking out the Mouse House with the Travelocity Gnome. wink
Posted By: Kenneth Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/15/15
I ordered one from Amazon that was shipped from Dallas via USPS.

Let me guess, You declined Amazon Express?
Posted By: Kojac Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/15/15
A few months ago I bought some receiver sight mounting screws from "Apertures and more" in Traverse City, Michigan. I'm in S.E. Ohio. The package went to Valdez Alaska then back to Columbus, Ohio and then on to Coshocton, Ohio which is 50-60 miles northwest of me and tracking said it was out for delivery. None of my mail ever comes through Coshocton for delivery. Finally after a few days it went back to Columbus and then to Caldwell, Ohio where my mail is delivered from.
Posted By: rost495 Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/15/15
I send packages to AK often enough. Priority flat rate.

Stuff usually gets there in a week and I'm really happy with that considering I"m not sending it to FBKs or ANC.. but more out in between to Delta Junction...

I'll get taken sooner or later....
Posted By: Steelhead Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/15/15
I have an Amazon prime account, everything is here in 2 days. We order a sheitload of stuff from Amazon and I've only had 1 issue, which I contacted them on their live chat about.

They immediately shipped another item and gave me a $5 credit for my next order.

Originally Posted by Kenneth

I'm not going to pay $10 to ship a $13 item. If it had arrived on their original delivery date, all would be ok. It's their sending it on a world tour then lying about the 'on time' delivery that's the problem.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/15/15
So what did they say when you contacted them?
Posted By: TERRY8mm Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/15/15
You can get on the phone to Amazon and set your shipping priority.
Mine is UPS, FEDEX and last option USPS.

I watch the order, if they give it to USPS I cancel and order elsewhere.
Posted By: rem141r Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/15/15
Newman!!!!
Posted By: Kenneth Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/15/15

I'm not going to pay $10 to ship a $13 item. If it had arrived on their original delivery date, all would be ok. It's their sending it on a world tour then lying about the 'on time' delivery that's the problem.

Exactly my same thoughts.

I believe Amazon is playing the shell game rather than the post office.

A few weeks back I ordered from Amazon, they guaranteed delivery in 2 days if I "purchased" Prime,

I declined that option and upon checkout my delivery was 12 days out, but yet it shipped the following day after the order, then it sat somewhere for over a week, sure enough it was delivered about 10 days after the order.

How in the hell can you guarantee 2 day delivery with Prime, but then delay for 10 days when Prime is refused?

Because it's the only way Amazon can try to justify Prime.

And I do understand your point on the shortest distance between point A and Point B.
Posted By: Whelen Nut Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/15/15
My recent experience is a little different. I shipped a small box to another CF member on Wed. It was supposed to get there today (Fri), it got there yesterday. One day--WI to TX. Not bad!
Posted By: MojoHand Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/15/15
513 MILLION pieces of mail delivered DAILY...

And people get peeved when the occasional one gets lost or misdirected...

BTW, I signed up for Prime and only once had something take longer than the two days promised and that was with the severe storms in parts of the country. I took it with equanimity....you know, first world problems and all.... wink
Posted By: smarquez Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/15/15
I ordered some dies from Midway. Shipped same day by UPS. It hit the UPS hub here on Thursday. I thought I would have them on Friday. Instead, UPS passed it of to USPS and I got it on Saturday. It's still not bad since Midway said it would be delivered on Monday.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/15/15

A few weeks back I ordered from Amazon, they guaranteed delivery in 2 days if I "purchased" Prime,

I declined that option and upon checkout my delivery was 12 days out, but yet it shipped the following day after the order, then it sat somewhere for over a week, sure enough it was delivered about 10 days after the order.

How in the hell can you guarantee 2 day delivery with Prime, but then delay for 10 days when Prime is refused?

And I do understand your point on the shortest distance between point A and Point B.

On Tuesday of this week, I ordered a product from Amazon (item showed to be in stock) with free shipping and the order said 5-8 day delivery. A few hours later, I got an email from Amazon saying the expected delivery date was June 22. Wait, that's 6 weeks, not 5-8 days.

I contacted Amazon, by using the 'chat' and complained. I was told that it was 5-8 day delivery, when they got around to shipping the item and that the item may have to be ordered. I reminded them the item showed to be 'in stock' and that I would 'cancel' the order, rather than wait.

They expedited the shipping, at no cost to me, and I received my pkg today, May 15.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/15/15
Originally Posted by MojoHand

BTW, I signed up for Prime and only once had something take longer than the two days promised and that was with the severe storms in parts of the country. I took it with equanimity....you know, first world problems and all.... wink

Hah!

More like 512.5 million pieces of garbage and about 500k pieces of actual, useful, mail.

The USPS is now in the business of moving garbage from one office to another. They're garbage men.

The PO on the small island I live on has a half dozen large trash cans and every day they are flowing over with junk mail.

It's hilarious.
Prime doesn't work with their outside vendors.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/16/15

See, you are a box of [bleep] rocks.

It's not AMAZON, it's the outside VENDOR that is selling through AMAZON.

Sweet Jesus, you are impressively stupid.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/16/15
Originally Posted by Steelhead

See, you are a box of [bleep] rocks.

It's not AMAZON, it's the outside VENDOR that is selling through AMAZON.

Sweet Jesus, you are impressively stupid.
YOU are the freaking idiot. I said in my OP that the item was shipped the same day. The Amazon/vendor service was excellent. I said the POST OFFICE is at fault, not the vendor.
Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/16/15
Originally Posted by rem141r
Newman!!!!

grin
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/16/15

Prime is easily justified. 2 day shipping on anything labeled prime. Streaming movies/shows, now they even have a streaming radio service. If you ship more than a couple items, the prime membership is easily paid for. If you don't pay for prime, your stuff goes out on a "space available" basis, hence why they will sit somewhere for a week or whatever. Prime members get priority on their package shipments...
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/16/15
When you pay for Prime, you get priority, VIP expedited service. When you opt out of it, your package goes to the back of the line BEHIND all those who DID pay for Prime.

You didn't get what you didn't pay for. It's that simple.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/16/15
Easily justified?

We differ on this, 100 bucks a year for shipping 2 or 3 packages a year,

Prime may suit your needs, but not mine.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/16/15
Easily justified?

We differ on this, 100 bucks a year for shipping 2 or 3 packages a year,

Prime may suit your needs, but not mine.

I ship far more than 2-3 packages. Amazon is easily my #1 online retailer. They carry a ton of stuff that is available elsewhere, but without prime shipping. And the perk of the streaming movies and radio are great.

But, like you said...it suits my needs, not everyones.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/16/15
I'll have to give credit where credit is due. My shipment was in Orlando yesterday morning, the day after it was supposed to deliver here in Idaho. They had changed the 'on time' delivery date from the 14th to the 21st. However, they apparently put it on a plane to Boise and I got it today, only 2 days late instead of a week.
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Hah!

More like 512.5 million pieces of garbage and about 500k pieces of actual, useful, mail.

The USPS is now in the business of moving garbage from one office to another. They're garbage men.

The PO on the small island I live on has a half dozen large trash cans and every day they are flowing over with junk mail.

It's hilarious.

Uhhh? The U.S. Post Office( in your area) is trashing mail instead of delivering
it? Junk or not ( their opinion), they supposed to deliver.
Posted By: joken2 Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/16/15
Originally Posted by websterparish47

Hah!

It's hilarious.

Uhhh? The U.S. Post Office( in your area) is trashing mail instead of delivering

I imagine what he is saying is the post office garbage cans are full of unsolicted junk mail discarded by the post office box holders when they pick up their own mail and not the by the postal employees. I know that's the way it is at our P.O. too.
Posted By: HilhamHawk Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/16/15
When I occasionally pick my stuff up at the Post Office, that's the 1st thing I do. The junk goes right into their garbage can, to save space in mine.
Posted By: joken2 Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/16/15
Both FedEx Ground and UPS Ground have surprisely wide coverage with next day, 2nd day or third day time in transit being the norm in many areas of the country.

FedEx Ground Time in Transit Calculator

UPS Ground Time in Transit Maps

Posted By: HilhamHawk Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/16/15
That only counts depending on where you live. I live in the boonies. UPS is pretty good, but the Fedex driver routinely skips delivering if he just doesn't want to come out this far (not that he'll admit that on public record). If the roads are iced over, neither one will come within 5 miles of my house. The mail lady delivers even if there's a blizzard blowing outside...........
Posted By: W7ACT Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/16/15
Originally Posted by websterparish47

Hah!

It's hilarious.

I believe he ment the trash cans were for the patrons use. I know the rural post office where I have a P.O. Box has trash cans in the lobby and they do get used quite liberally by patrons who have P.O. Boxes here.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/16/15
You guys got it.

Folks pick up their mail at the PO and 90+% of it goes into the garbage before they walk out.

I'm tellin' ya....they've become garbage men.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: !@#$%&() post office - 05/17/15
You have only the internet to blame for the drop in usable mail. My mail hasn't decreased a bit in the last 10 years but most of the stuff I want comes in and out electronically.
© 24hourcampfire