Home
for failing to completely stop at a stop sign. It is going to cost me over $100. I'm "guilty" so there ain't much I can say. I am not too worried about the money but I got a ticket last year for going 50 in a 35-45 transition zone...also IMO chickenshit, but not hall of fame worthy like this one. My insurance did not go up but with this new one I am afraid it will. Two tickets in 18 months.....hell crazy assed teenagers do better than that, and I am almost 50.

Do I have to go to court to ask the "judge" if the points can be kept off my record? Will he do it?

Can I pay some extra extortion money and keep it off my record?

Any need to go to court at all or should I just pay the ticket and hope for the best?

Around here, the traffic school option will normally keep the points off of your license.
Sheeeeiittttt... I've heard of and seen some chickenchitt tickets, but these don't seem to fit in that category. Quit yer whining, it cost money if you insist on driving like that.
A jury trial is the best bet for a guilty person.
go to court, that's where all deals are made, more cash, less actual penalty.

I was in traffic court last month for the first time in years,

the amount of wheeling and dealing going on was almost comical.

The Clerk actually told me upfront, to listen for my name to be called on the side, they had a deal already made up for me.

Part of the deal was I had to pay additional, in cash, which I did.

Cask is King.
This is usually the drunk check around here at night. Failing to completely stop. i got stopped for it about a month ago. He took my info and was gone about 90 seconds and came back to let me go. Just checking to see if i was where the big money lays in a DUI.
Lmao my last ticket was for for going 95 in a 70. I was guilty so I paided it. Was only 198 more than your ticket.
Mine happened in the afternoon. I kind of thought I might get off with a warning after the Policeman ran the license check. I called the little fella sir and everything, and offered no lame excuses.
I've noticed most state troopers don't cut you breaks. county and constables will a lot of times though.
Out of the 10 times I've been stopped in the last 10 yrs or so I've only got 4 tickets.
Around here you will get rear ended stopping fully. Was this a "California" stop or did you blow through the sign? 50 in a 45 is holding up traffic and being a road hog. My insurance even looks at pleas where you take a ticket and change it to something like a burned out light. The times I wish there was a cop watching some fool, there isn't one.
I got a ticket just like that about 6 months ago. I commute 250 miles to work and was coming home through this podunk town of about 200 people about 20 miles from home with one stop sign around midnight. I literally hadn't seen any sign of life for the last 10 minutes. I pulled up to the stop sign & did what I would call a stop, but I guess I didn't rock backward & sit there for 10 seconds so the lights come on & I get a ticket for failure to yield stop sign.

I went to traffic court & there's a parade of about 50 suckers like me through there, the town's five cops are there too with the police chief, I think they've got a cop for about every 30 residents. It came my turn so I stood up & told the "judge" that I just wanted to keep the ticket off my driver's record, I'd pay the fine. The county attorney & police chief whispered back & forth with the judge & said if I'd pay extra they'd change it to an improper equipment violation & it wouldn't go on my record. I said "done", wrote them a check for $241 & walked out.

It's just about money. There's always a dollar figure where it'll go away, it's like dealing with the mafia. You have to play the game & act contrite but in the end it's just a shakedown & everyone knows it. Since commuting is a part of my job I just consider it a job expense. It's just the cost of doing business. My uncle ran a pipeline crew laying pipeline across Mexico. Every time they'd move their equipment the local popo would threaten to impound their equipment, he kept a company provided lockbox in his truck with cash for bribes. This is much the same.
It was a California stop. I treated the stop sign like a yield sign.
That's not hall of fame level. You were taking a routine short cut and got caught.

Hall of fame level is getting pulled over for 51 in a 50, or pulled over because stopped slightly in front of the stops sign so you could have a better view of traffic.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
I've noticed most state troopers don't cut you breaks. county and constables will a lot of times though.

Tits, pro athelete, or PBA card. That's about it.

Local, if you know someone, have a shield, etc you are good to go.

If not, you cover the costs for the rest.

PBA cards are the stupidest invention of all time... Hey, let this guy go, I can vouch for him/her". Really? Laws apply to all equally, no?

Traffic tickets are a [bleep] joke. Every patrol car on the road breaks 11 laws each time they are on a highway... tailgating, lane change no signal, speeding...

I've spent a heck of a lot of money on insurance due to tickets, damn few of which were for much anything over a roll through out of a parking lot or a 6 over on a highway.

It's all a racket.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
That's not hall of fame level. You were taking a routine short cut and got caught.

Hall of fame level is getting pulled over for 51 in a 50, or pulled over because stopped slightly in front of the stops sign so you could have a better view of traffic.

Havent had a "1 over", but I have two "3 overs". Ever do 58 in a 55? I was a crazy ass fool that day, no doubt. Shoulda locked me up.

lots of folks here will have no sympathy, and make fun of your criminal status. Of course, they ARE the police. smile

I haven't been busted for this, but for safety I do it all the time. The stop signs are set too far back in a bunch of neighborhoods around here.
Originally Posted by RJY66
It was a California stop. I treated the stop sign like a yield sign.

Lots of folks do that in SE Alabama and end up getting t-boned. It happens so often it was almost the norm.
Originally Posted by Crockettnj

Havent had a "1 over", but I have two "3 overs". Ever do 58 in a 55? I was a crazy ass fool that day, no doubt. Shoulda locked me up.

Once upon a time, that was normal in parts of Nebraska, especially if you had out of state plates.
You rolled through the stop sign without stopping. Pay up! Keep it off the record--too many points and you will pay through the nose for 3-5 years on your insurance. It's way cheaper to pay off the extortion at the judge level.
There are a bunch of 4 way intersections in Tacoma with no stop sign and no traffic light. It was strange when I first moved here. Thought there had to be all kinds of wrecks.

It ain't no big deal. Most folk just slow and look, then proceed. Best part is no bullchit rolling stop tickets!

Most Tacoma cops could give a chit about ridiculous rules infractions. If you're a dumbazz you'll get pulled, if you roll through a stop sign and slow enough to look both ways, I doubt you'd find a cop bored enough to write that ticket around here.

State Patrol is a whole 'nother ball of wax. Those fuggin chit birds are hilarious. You'll get pulled over for looking at them.

I got a stop sign ticket on a motorcycle once. The cop admitted the bike had stopped, but said that he really thought I should've put both feet on the ground to be "really" stopped.

I paid it, because I was always speeding and running stop signs and considered it fair enough.

I'd forgotten about it until this thread, I guess I can cope with such injustices better than some.
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I got a stop sign ticket on a motorcycle once. The cop admitted the bike had stopped, but said that he really thought I should've put both feet on the ground to be "really" stopped.

I paid it, because I was always speeding and running stop signs and considered it fair enough.

I'd forgotten about it until this thread, I guess I can cope with such injustices better than some.

As soon as "I think" comes out of the cops mouth, you know you're done! laugh
for failing to completely stop at a stop sign. It is going to cost me over $100. I'm "guilty" so there ain't much I can say. I am not too worried about the money but I got a ticket last year for going 50 in a 35-45 transition zone...also IMO chickenshit, but not hall of fame worthy like this one. My insurance did not go up but with this new one I am afraid it will. Two tickets in 18 months.....hell crazy assed teenagers do better than that, and I am almost 50.

Do I have to go to court to ask the "judge" if the points can be kept off my record? Will he do it?

Any need to go to court at all or should I just pay the ticket and hope for the best?

No , No and YES !!!
Once a Deputy wrote me a ticket for something I did not do. He alleged I rolled through a stop sign about 10 miles back. I was accelerating onto the highway, and had just broke 100 mph in about 4 seconds when his lights went on, so I wasn't going to argue with him, and was happy to plea it down to an Obstructed Windshield and zero points.
Got pulled over by a trooper for not stopping at a stop sign about 3 years ago.

There was a guy in front of me, and he had pulled out past the white line marked on the highway intersection, and I stopped right at the line at the stop sign.

The guy in front of me went through the intersection. I just stayed where I was, and when he cleared the intersection, I went...

Trooper pulled me over to say I had not stopped at the intersection. I explained all that to him, and he didn't really buy it, but didn't give me a ticket. smile
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
lots of folks here will have no sympathy, and make fun of your criminal status. Of course, they ARE the police. smile

Heck with em. Chicks dig the bad boys! laugh

I am not looking for sympathy, certainly not "whining", and am more than willing to pay my debt to society. I am simply trying to learn proper etiquette concerning bribing low level government officials to keep my little indiscretion "between us". I'd hate to offend these honorable folks by doing it the wrong way.

So far I have....

1) Go to court with a wad o' cash.
2) See if a clerk offers you a deal
3) Go before judge. Act contrite. Then ask them to help me out and see if they will change my crime to a non-moving violation in exchange for more money.
4) Go to traffic school.

I appreciate it fellas. My inclination was to just pay the ticket ASAP and forget about it. I might come out better going to court and can't come out any worse.

In the future I promise I will drive the speed limit and no faster and I will count 1-Mississippi after my vehicle has come to a complete stop at any and all posted stop signs before proceeding, even if no other vehicles are present....for miles. Having turned over this new leaf and completed my rehabilitation, firmly committed to the straight and narrow, I'd appreciate it if the rest of you maniacs don't run over me! laugh
Originally Posted by k20350
This is usually the drunk check around here at night. Failing to completely stop. i got stopped for it about a month ago. He took my info and was gone about 90 seconds and came back to let me go. Just checking to see if i was where the big money lays in a DUI.

Nothing wrong with this. It is so simple to "STOP" at a stop sign, I can't agree with the "C.S." without seeing the actual location and circumstances. It pisses me off when douche bags float stop signs and right turn on red when i'm going through an intersection.

Mirrors my experience, here in TX anyway.
I leave one of those car smelly tree things hanging off of my rear view just so the cop has something to write a lesser ticket for. I have been pulled over a few times and I have always been honest. My favorite is when I got pulled over for doing 89 in a 65. Cop asked me if I knew why he pulled me over, I said sure I was doing 90 in a 65. He said actually you were only doing 89 but since you are honest I will write you a ticket for obstruction of view. Way better than a speeding ticket.

Who are you asking?

The Cops on this forum?

BWahahahahwaahahaha, They know less about the law and the court system then Mickey Mouse.

Knowing the laws is not part of their Job description as that would take up to much time.
I got stopped at a "proof of insurance" checkpoint set up by KSP last Saturday morning. I had all the required stuff in hand by the time the trooper came up to my vehicle, so he looked at the license and said, "Have a nice day, Mr. Asher".

I heard him ask the driver in front of me for license and insurance, and had my stuff out when he got to me. It pays to pay attention. grin
I have to wonder, if its fair, to be able to pay more cash, to keep something off your insurance record, vs folks that don't have the extra cash?

Seems unfair, and a liability in a way.

But its life, I"m already over it. I'll get nailed sooner or later responding to a fire/ems call I"m sure... we get that every now and then. Have to go to court to see what the decision is, or just pay it. CDL makes you go to court to try to keep it off the record... which again isn't fair, in many ways, but there it is.
Lmao my last ticket was for for going 95 in a 70. I was guilty so I paided it. Was only 198 more than your ticket.

Posterity forces me to quote the above. 'Paided'? PAIDED? Now THAT'S hall of fame stuff right there! Holy mackerel!

shocked eek grin
Originally Posted by rost495
I have to wonder, if its fair, to be able to pay more cash, to keep something off your insurance record, vs folks that don't have the extra cash?
Seems unfair...

'The system' (cops, municipalities, judges, etc.) doesn't give a $ch!t whether it's fair or not. That's not what it's about. It's about money. Plain and simple. It's about extorting as much money as they can from citizens. Period.
I've told this story before, but will risk it again!

It occurred many years back in Fbks on the afternoon of New Years eve. I was working on my house and needed something (don't recall what, but it was a critical item to finish), so I headed off to Fredgy Meyer. I was in a hurry to get there before they closed.

I got to the stop sign at the end of Sheep Cr. Rd, touched the brake. I saw car headlight 100 to 150 yds down the and figured I had plenty of space to get in front. So I did.

Next thing, the car is on my tail with flashing lights. I pulled over and he approached the window and asked if I knew why he stopped me.

I answered, "because I did not make a full and complete stop"?

He literally sputtered "You hardly SLOWED"!!!

Took my license, etc and went back to his car. Came back to my window in about 20 seconds. Not thinking good thoughts, I rolled the window down. Cop handed me my papers and said, "My presence is required elsewhere. You're getting a warning".

With that, he got in the patrol car, wheeled around and left at a high rate of speed with lights and siren.
laugh
I got pulled for 105mph in a 55mph zone and was let off with an admonishment to slow down. It helped that the troopers boss was in my passenger's seat and I was taking him offshore fishing smile
Although I don't recall ever getting a ticket I didn't deserve, I surely recall NOT getting some that I definitely earned. Many years ago, I worked at a small Sheriff's Department that was about 35 miles from my house, most of which was through sparsely or unpopulated woods. I was running late to work one morning, and was doing about 90 in a 45 MPH section in the middle of nowhere. Sure enough, I shot past a state trooper, only to see his brake lights in my rearview mirror. I knew the deal, so went ahead and pulled over and waited for him to turn around and catch up to me. He walked up to my truck, took one look at me in full uniform, gun belt & all, shook his head, and said "Well, at least you're one I HAVEN'T stopped yet". He chewed my ass royally, but let me go after writing my information in his little black book. Don't know why, but state troopers have that ass chewing routine down to a science, better than ANY local PD or Sheriff's Deputy I ever met............
A couple years ago I was in a traffic formation on the freeway right behind a left lane hogging Chevy Cavalier doing 57 MPH for several miles. Must have been 40 + cars clogged up behind us. When the wingman took an offramp I switched lanes and passed that left lane Gomer who turned on his flashing lights and pulled me over. Since I normally drive about 8 mph over the limit I took it well, I tried to joke with him about falling for his trick but he wasn't in a humorous mood I guess. Signs beside the freeway say "Slower Traffic Keep Right." IMO that was a chickenchit troll job because he was impeding the flow of traffic but like others have said karma gets you back sometimes.
I haven't had a ticket since 1982. Been pulled over several times since but never got a ticket. I think maybe it's the crying that works. cry
In all seriousness, if you have the time to do it I'd ask for a jury trial. Explain to six regular people that you're sorry but can't afford a big fine. I've seen juries fine people $1 instead of several hundred.

I'm not sure they could change the charge to keep it off your record though.
The worst is seatbelt tickets. Good gawd what a joke. Though a good runner up was getting pulled for having a tow ball. It made it "difficult" for her to run my plate. I laughed and asked why are you running my plate? Then I had to do a field sobriety test. I don't think she thought it was funny.

My experience with tickets are the opposite. Before I was a more clear thinking man and before the Lord touched my heart I got a couple of tickets for minor infractions and was relieved. I had made a right on red at an intersection that is infamously unsafe. Cops saw me and wrote me up. I was thankful and relieved because I had just left a dinner gathering at a club and had approximately 12 vodka tonics while there. A 100.00 ticket was way better then any DUI would have been.
One night after work I got a speeding ticket for 48 in a 35 zone. That 140.00 fine was a blessing also as me and a coworker had just recycled a case of MGD's while doing some quick fix stuff on our personal vehicles.
Any traffic tickets I get from now on are just make up for the times they missed the actual crimes before. Those DUI's I should've had would have landed me in jail for elevated alcohol levels and their closeness together.
A few years back, I got 8 citations for various driving offenses in a 12 month period. Matter of fact, I was taking a driving class because of a ticket and the 2nd day of the class, I got another ticket. I managed to keep all but 2 off my record. Ask for a jury trial. If the officer doesn't come in, you'll probably walk.
Got a ticket once for doing 54 mph in a 35 zone around a sharp curve.....I was driving a '79 Ford Fairmont. The rear tires were admittedly bald...It was raining...my then wife was watching the speedometer like a stinkin' hawk.

When the officer pulled me over and asked if I knew why.....I had not a clue.

He told me I was going 54 mph around that bend. I kinda chuckled and said "There is absolutely no way that this car with these tires can make that turn at that speed"

He said "you wanna see the vascar readout"

Nope. Just write the ticket.....Thank you for keeping me safe.
I don't know what I'd do about a seatbelt ticket.

At least now that you can ride motorcycles wihtout a helmet. Hell you can ride em without seatbelts too.

I'd have to go to court on that one.

Luckily I quit being stupid and mostly have one on, in fact the female end died in my explorer, and cost me 170 to have it replaced... but it was worth it IMHO.

You kinda change your mind on a lot of things at times, when you are often first on scene....
Originally Posted by mart
I haven't had a ticket since 1982. Been pulled over several times since but never got a ticket. I think maybe it's the crying that works. cry

Taking a shytt on the seat next to you, and be consentrating on "stirring" with your finger works too.
But they back off from you with their hand on their gun....

friend of mine is an expert.
go to the prosecuting attorneys office the day before your court date, and ask for a " continuance for dismissal", pay probably double the fine, and keep it off your record.
Originally Posted by antlers
Seems unfair...

'The system' (cops, municipalities, judges, etc.) doesn't give a $ch!t whether it's fair or not. That's not what it's about. It's about money. Plain and simple. It's about extorting as much money as they can from citizens. Period.
Don't break the law, and you won't have to pay for "extortion."

I got one of those years ago. They are CS.

If you go to traffic court, know that the judges are not really interested in you arguing the point. IF you take to court, go with a lawyer or you will not get results. Lawyers know how things work, you don't.

Getting a lawyer for a simple ticket is overkill and will cost you more than your rates will increase. I'd either 1.) ask Isaac or 2.) beg the judge. Maybe both.

I have had more than my fair share of tickets over the years. I can only remember one ticket that I got, that I did not deserve. I fought that one and won. Most all the others I paid up and moved on.

However, a couple times I contacted the county attorney, or city attorney, depending on the situation, and asked about showing up for my court appearance rather than paying.

I was asked, are you going to contest? I responded, no, I just want to know what my options were as to mitigating the negative effects on my record. Both times I had the attorney give me an option to avoid the points going on my record. One time was an option to go to a defensive driving course. Another time I had to pay what would have been the fine amount to the county and they simply dropped the speeding. Another time, I had the option to pay extortion money (did I say that out loud?) above and beyond the fine and court costs and, as long as I did not get another moving violation in that county for a year, the violation would be deferred and no points.

What I'm saying is, There is no harm in asking.
My TX CHL has gotten me out of several speeding tickets with just a warning from TX DPS Troopers. Haven't had a ticket in years.
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Seems unfair...

Yep, just do as you're told, mind your P's and Q's, etc.. It sticks in my craw. Stupid laws deserve to be broken. Like gun laws...I totally disregard them...and I don't much give a rats a$$ what 'the system' has to say about it. Same goes for emissions stickers and expired license plates...it has nothin' to do with safety and is ALL about generating revenue for the government. The same government that nearly everyone here gripes about. One that really takes the cake is to get a seat belt citation from a motorcycle cop. Talk about hypocritical bullSch!t designed to do nothin' more than generate revenue...!
unless you roll through a stop on a decently well travelled road, then a ticket is Barney Fife looking for something to do.

On the other hand, think of all the other times you probably deserved one and never got caught!

Got one about 8 years ago for 50 in a 35. Sounds bad, but it is a divide 4 lane, and from the traffic light you accelerate up hill at first then it levels out. A modern car with 5 or 6 speeds trans will jump to 35 in 2nd, then shift-shift-shift as you let off the gas and voila, you're at 50! I was streamed to get nailed, but what was I to say when the dude said "I would have given you 10 over"? I paid.
Willie T got stopped in Mississippi by state patrolman. LEO walks up to the vehicle and taps on the window with his baton. Window down...asked Leroy...."Know why I stopped you?" Reply is "Naw suh" Cop tells him "You didn't make a complete stop at the stop sign!" Reply back was "But I slowed down...it's the same thing!" Cop replied and told him "No it's not!" Again...cop tells him "No it's not! Get out and I'll show you!" Willie T climbs out and when he's clear of the vehicle the cops starts whipping his azz with his baton and hollers "Now...you want to to STOP....or SLOW DOWN?" crazy shocked
I've heard that one about three times in the last two days....but thanks! laugh
I got a seat belt ticket once.

Just got done doing roadside clean up and was taking a load of [bleep] to the dump.

Approaching a stop sign I slowed down and noticed my tarp was loose and some trash fell out.

So I got out, secured the trash and some other stuff, put it in the truck, fastened the tarp better, got it the seat and put it in drive as I buckled up.

The trooper saw that and swung around to come back.

He was nice enough to hear the explanation, which was plausible considering the trash. After a small condescending dissertation about how I should have buckled first then placed it in drive, he gave me a choice.

The seat belt ticket, or the $1,000 fine for littering - which I had stated during my explanation.

Dick.

I took the seat belt violation, and $50 later, my hitman at the courthouse had it tossed.

Originally Posted by RWE
Dick.

In spades...!

Takes a special kinda miserable prick to do $ch!t like that.
Too many small towns rely on citation revenue to help balance the books - they call it "traffic safety". Too many supervisors look at your ticket book activity as a means for evaluations. Good activity with verbal warnings can go a long toward getting the public to correct bad driving without hitting their wallets.
Your demeanor at the stop can help your "cause" immensely.
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Seems unfair...

Yep, just do as you're told, mind your P's and Q's, etc.. It sticks in my craw. Stupid laws deserve to be broken. Like gun laws...I totally disregard them...and I don't much give a rats a$$ what 'the system' has to say about it. Same goes for emissions stickers and expired license plates...it has nothin' to do with safety and is ALL about generating revenue for the government. The same government that nearly everyone here gripes about. One that really takes the cake is to get a seat belt citation from a motorcycle cop. Talk about hypocritical bullSch!t designed to do nothin' more than generate revenue...!

Yeah, stupid laws like stop signs at intersections and speed limits. That's just dumb law, you deserve to drive however you'd like and to hell with public safety because you are certainly entitled to do so. Rock on player!
In 2000 I had taken the family out west to see the sights. We had just turned around and were on our way back to GA. Speed limit was 65 on a desert road in Arizona near the 4 corners area. Arizona State trooper behind me so I set the cruise on 64mph. He follows me for 30 minutes. I see a stop sign about 1/2 mile ahead and a "speed reduced ahead sign".

I turn the cruise off and plan on coasting to the stop sign. Next thing I see is blue lights. Speed limit dropped from 65-35. Since I didn't stand on the brakes and had only slowed to 55 within the 1st 50 yards beyond the sign I get a keepsake from the trip.

The guy was nice enough to write the ticket at only 39 and let me mail in the fine instead of following him 80 miles in the wrong direction and pay at the county courthouse which he said would be SOP. Only cost me $60, but I was still steamed.

I've paid a few others that I was guilty of. No beef with those, and technically I was guilty here too. My problem is the way some roads are marked in a way to confuse drivers. Simply as revenue.

I live a few miles west of I-75 about half way between Atlanta and Chattanooga. There are 2-3 tiny communities too small to even have a traffic light on that stretch of road. But they have a 5-6 man police force with 2-3 cars. They are 4-5 miles off the interstate, but are always running radar. No reason for them to even exist except to make money for the community. The county Sheriff does all the LE work in those communities.
The fact that their little Podunk hillbilly communities are 4 to 5 miles off the interstate is irrelevant...they are out there hiding along the interstate in order to catch speeders in the interest of public safety.

<rollin' eyes emoticon>

<sarcasm emoticon>
There was a trooper on an overpass with a radar gun and he clocks a guy going 90 MPH in a 65 zone. He chases the guy down and pulls him over and asks if the driver knows how fast he was going. The driver says no so the trooper says "you were going 90 MPH in a 65 zone". The driver says "I'm sorry, I was late for work". So the trooper asks him what he does for a living that is so important that he would put himself and everybody else on the road in peril by going so fast. The driver says "I'm a sphincter stretcher". The trooper asks "what is that"? So the driver says "it's just like it sounds, first I lube up my index finger and stick it up in there and work it around until it gets a little looser. Then I put in another finger and eventually I have my whole hand in there. After a little work I can get my other hand in there and then I keep stretching and stretching until I have the sphincter stretched out to 72" in diameter". The trooper asks " what do you do with a 6 foot a$$hole"? The driver says " I give it a radar gun and put it on an overpass"!
I haven't had a ticket for a while, but I deserved every one of them and then some so I figure I'm a bit ahead of the game. Grin....

I was working down in Anniston, AL recently so I would fly into Atlanta and make the hour (ish) drive back and forth. On my last trip down there, it had rained a good bit during the week and things were pretty soggy. I was zipping back to Atlanta doing a liberal speed when I met a trooper. I seen him hit the breaks and knew he was coming for me. Since it was a divided highway, he had to cut across the median.....which happened to be pretty soft because of the rain. I seen his car sink and then stop about half-way across.

I know it wasn't nice, but I laughed my ass off the rest of the way to Atlanta. Glad it was my last trip down there!

That's what you get for stopping when he turned his lights on.

Travis
only tickets I ever seem to get are for stupid Schitt...

Most cops are usually pretty darn decent guys if you don't give them a load of crap...

One that still pisses me off tho, was back in MN.. I came to a stop sign at 10 PM at night, at a side street, hitting a thru fare. I tapped the brakes, but there was some black ice there, so my car skidded half way pass the stop sign. There was no light there to see it...

NO cars were coming, but as soon as I came to a stop, the one car on the road, a quarter a mile or more up the street, turns on its lights...

He pulls up and gets out and does the usual bit, then tells me he is giving me a ticket for not coming to a complete stop.

I told him there was black ice there, that I couldn't see and skidded on that... he tells me "BS".. you saw me coming so you decided to stop... you were going to run the stop sign.

I told him I couldn't see that far if he was a patrol car or not.... he gives me a ticket for running a stop sign... ignoring me telling him I had skidded on black ice...

( I had backed up at that time to not be out in the middle of the main road there.. )

on the black ice, he tells me to tell it to the judge... little prick was a local cop, about the size of Barney Fife....

as the little pompous twerp, goes walking in front of my vehicle he slips on the same black ice that "wasn't there".. and lands hard on his ass....

I get out laughing, and asked him if he would like a hand....I can tell he hurt himself falling.. and he says "yeah", and holds his hand out to me.... I gave him a hand.. I stood there and clapped, and told him that there was NO BLACK ICE there...

So I go to court, and was told to talk to the County Attorney before court starts...he is pointed out to me by the Bailiff, so I walk over to him... I am standing there while he is talking about his vacation last week in Mexico to another attorney...

The other attorney sees me standing there, and asks do I need something. I say I was told to speak to the county Attorney.
The County Attorney gets all pissed off, and starts yelling at me for interrupting me, and can't I see he's busy......

yacking about his vacation???? is busy???

He basically tells me FU and sit down and shut up and wait for my name to be called....

Local cop doesn't show up, after 2 hours... when I explain about the black ice, the county attorney just says it is BS.. so the judge finds me guilty and charges me $45 for running the stop sign....Next...

So I go down to the window where you pay the ticket.. stand in line, and when I get to the front, I'm told $45... so I ask if they accept cash.... "sure we do".... so I tell them I have to go across the street to the bank.

I go across the road to the bank, and ask for $45 in pennies....

The Cashier goes and gets some snotty supervisor who comes back up and snottily asks me what do I need $45 in loose pennies for... I tell him "its for the court house"....

his attitude immediately changes, " OH Why didn't you say so!"

so they go get me 90 rolls of pennies....I tell them they wanted them loose, and do they have a bag I could put them in...

Sure, NO Problem! Don't worry about the bag, someone can bring it back tomorrow....

So I go get back in line, and I get up to the window, and hand the woman my ticket.. She tells me that will be $45.

So I lift my big bag of pennies off the floor and place it on the counter.....she asks what the hell is that... I tell her it is $45 in pennies.

She refuses to take it....I tell here what's the problem.. this is good old American Currency....she still refuses to take it..

So I hand her my ticket and tell her to sign it, stating I tried to pay it and she refused payment... She tells me "I'm not going to do that".....

I got 50 people standing there laughing....

She calls for her supervisor... so this real fat guy comes up and asks what is the problem....

I tell him I am trying to pay my ticket in cash and she is refusing to take it... he tells me "WE don't have to take that"

"Sure ya do, Its good old American Currency".. he still refuses, so I tell him, then good, just sign the ticket with your name and ID and attest that you refused to accept my attempt to pay this citation"...

he still refuses... so I turn around to the laughing audience and ask if anyone will sign this ticket and attest that Hennepin County Courts refused to accept my payment in Cash.... I had about 50 people willing to do so...

So this guys tells me to 'give him the GDamn Bag of pennies'...

I start to, but tell him I want a receipt and my ticket signed that it was paid..... plus I wanted him to count all $45 in pennies to make sure I didn't underpay or overpay....

He refuses... so I turn to the crowd again.... anyone want to sign this ticket acknowledge his refusal to count my money and give me a receipt? again, 50 laughing volunteers...

So this fat SOB and his bimbo clerk had to count out all 4500 pennies... told him I had plenty of time as I took the day off of work for this...

Needless to say, they were really pissed... but in my way, I felt I got my vindication for them screwing me over...

there has only been two other times I felt screwed over, and I paid those tickets in the exact same way...with similar results...

Cops are normally good guys... but Hennepin County ( Minneapolis), I don't have too much respect for.. full of left wing liberals, and pompous bureaucrats...

I wouldn't go back there if you gave me the entire place...
Like any of that actually happened..
I usually have good luck, the few times I have been pulled over.

Growing up in California, it was largely because my last name is a legacy within the CHP, my father and grandfather having a combined 70+ years on the force and being highly respected.

Having moved from that gawdawful state, I believe being polite helps a whole bunch, too.

Some luck factors in, as well:

In 2005 I was returning to Colorado from a bird hunting trip in ND. I was in the middle of SD on a 2 lane, 55 MPH highway, doing 67ish. A sheriff passed me by and lit up all his lights so I could see them, but he kept going. Must have been dinnertime.

In high school I was doing some donuts out in the boonies and all of the sudden a local PD lit me up. She was absolutely going to write me up for reckless driving or some other violation, but her radio toned, and she bailed lights and sirens blaring.

My 20 yo stepson is not so lucky (or smart). He's already had his license suspended once for having 12+ points in Colorado due to multiple speeding tickets. Got his license back and then last weekend got clocked doing 98 in a 65 on the way to Chadron, Nebraska.......WITH a case of beer in the truck and a buddy holding an open can.

Cop took the beer, my son got a MIP and a ticket for 85 in a 65. Lucky break - 98 in a 65 would have been an IMMEDIATE suspension. 85 in a 65 might still be, we'll have to see how court goes. Thankfully he was not drinking.

Bottom line... these days I take the time to enjoy the drive, the company of whoever is in my truck, and the view out the window, which is usually decent here in Colorado. It seems to be a good strategy.
Post #1000.
I have been pulled over many times and think I am running 50% at best on citations. I was wrong in every case so no whining from me. Just good folks doing their jobs, like most of us.
been pulled over alot, gotten a few tickets......do find some of the speed limits on dry daytime roads up here to be stupid but dont complain if i get caught breaking them, they caught me fair and square, im plesent to the cop and not an ass and get a warning 9 times out of 10.....my ex always decided it was the time to be a smart ass and even with a pair of tits got a ticket more often than a warning, go figure smirk

REALLY dont see where rolling through a stop sign is chickenchit though.....been to way to many wrecks cause people did it one time to many and wound up killing someone else....there excuse "well i always do it, guess this time i didnt look good enough first"

I got pulled over for doing 31 in a 30. He came a he!!in at me spinning his tires, he almost did a 360 in the road, had his lights and siren on and was going at very high rate of speed in this 30 MPH limit. He asked me what was the hurry, I told him I was only doing 30 and he said 31 I said ok and laughed at him.

Went to court over this and he pulled me to the side and said he would reduce it to a less offence. Again I laughed at him again and said I will take my chances before the judge.

I had 3 witnesses there saying he was going at a high rate of speed in the 30 MPH zone to catch me and that he does it all the time. Seems the people that pay him in the little sh$thole don't even like him. I even had pictures of his burn out on the road. He got fired last year for beating on some 87 year old lady for speeding, and running his lawn tractor in his 2B stone drive way hitting his neighbors house with rocks.

Laughed at him the third time when I walked out of court free and clear of fines and points.
Originally Posted by EdM
I have been pulled over many times and think I am running 50% at best on citations. I was wrong in every case so no whining from me. Just good folks doing their jobs, like most of us.

I can't even begin to count up the number of times I have been pulled over but I will guess I am at about 70% or better for warnings. Try to be polite and truthful. Don't lie. Turn on interior lights, radio off, window down, arm on door or slightly out and right hand on top of wheel. Sunglasses off and try to have license etc before the police gets out of car so I don't have to rummage around with the police standing next to me because I almost always have a firearm on me and multiple in the vehicle, so I try to minimize concern on his part by not having to reach for things in the vehicle while he is standing there.

I believe I have received tickets in almost a dozen different states and warnings in many more. I have no problem with 95% of my police interactions. I even called in to give the last MHP who ticketed me kudos to his supervisor because he did a great job, didn't waste my time and was really decent about how he treated me. I appreciate he was doing his job without wasting my time and being a prick.
Originally Posted by RWE
Dick.

In spades...!

Takes a special kinda miserable prick to do $ch!t like that.

Figured it was karma for all the times I was a miserable prick.

Like the time I wrote a gal for dusting a flashing red light at 3 in the morning.

Her and her friend asked me if I wanted a BJ, from both of them.

I said yes, but she was still getting the ticket.

She said, "nevermind"

I was offended.
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Like any of that actually happened..

nothing else to do, so stalking me as usual so you can be Johnny on the Spot with your ridicule of me....

keep batting there Rauncho Bozo... ya can't strike out on the bench......

and you must have been there to verify your claim? Right?

you really are a little pathetic moronic Dipschitt....

oh wait, you're from California... that explains a lot of it...

have a good day there Beavis, and don't trip in a gopher hole and break your friggin neck....that would break our hearts...
Back in '64 I had flown home from Lackland AFB to pick up my car in PA and drive it back to Texas. I was running behind schedule and hadn't stopped until about 2am Sunday morning where I got about 3 hours sleep - after a quick breakfast I was on the road and the road deserted and I probably didn't see a dozen cars in the first or so and I running about 80 an hour out in the boonies when as went I ran thru a small town without a soul on the streets and that fast U was thry town but a few minutes later there was red flashing light behind me - did I mention I was in Alabama - with PA plates - and I had just busted thru his town at 3X the speed limit.

I pulled over and he got out looking the sherriff from "In the hear of night" but with fancy Peachmaker in a western holster.

He ask if I knew how fast I was going I told him when I tokd him I ws trying time before folks got up for church. He also if I was some "northern liberal trouble maker" making it sould like one bad word and at that I knew I/d be seeing the judge morning. I told him I was retuning to Lackland from leave and that of the reason I was speeding was I had be back in Texas by Monday night.

He smiled and told me his nephew has just started training and did I know him. I said it base I'd him and tell I'd talked his Uncle if he liked. He gave be a big smile, returned my license and told to keep to about 65 and probably wouldn't be bothered.
© 24hourcampfire