Home
Had a neighbor come over and ask to barrow a ladder. He said a raccoon was stuck in a tree in his backyard and he was going to help it down. Would you loan your ladder to him?
Your .22 is what he needs.

Faster and much safer than the ladder.

Well, not so much for the coon... shocked

DF
Yes, then grab a beer and a camera to watch. That's some good free entertainment!

Natural selection at work.
Originally Posted by cotis
Yes, then grab a beer and a camera to watch. That's some good free entertainment!

Yep.

Even better idea than the .22... laugh

Do it his way, first... wink

DF
Yeah, "stuck in a tree" may be what a slicker sees...

If he'd left it alone, it would have come down soon enough.

There's a reason the term "treed" came into being... laugh
I love raccoons.. I turn into PETA around raccoons.. I wouldn't harm one, much less shoot them...

I know all the bad things they are... but I like the little guys... plain pure and simple...

however, the LAST THING I'd recommend anyone doing is 'helping' a raccoon in a tree...that is like someone "helping" a mini bear out of a tree...

a raccoon can rip the crap out of a human....helping one out of a tree is the last thing anyone with any brains would ever do....

Raccoons are not another Disney Animal...
Yep loan him the ladder and grab your video camera!
Originally Posted by cotis

This.

It's people like you that give me that warm fuzzy feeling that keeps me coming back to the 24HCF.
They're so cute, surely it wouldn't hurt him. smile
Last time I gave one of the local brothers a freshly ventilated, fat coon, he was so happy, there were tears in his eyes.

Now, why wouldn't you want to share such joy. Seems the demand from those folks peaks around Thanksgiving time.

I always enjoy Thanksgiving... smile

DF
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Had a neighbor come over and ask to barrow a ladder. He said a raccoon was stuck in a tree in his backyard and he was going to help it down. Would you loan your ladder to him?

this is a joke post, or a trick question, right? I mean, please tell me it is. shocked
I got a six pack now if I can find my video camera it would be great. I have never heard of a raccoon which was stuck in a tree. I think my neighbor must be from the city.
One of the worse times I ever had was in a tree with a mama racoon that had babies in a nest there
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

this is a joke post, or a trick question, right? I mean, please tell me it is. shocked

It's a subtle ploy by sweet potato producers to increase demand for their product... grin

DF
God, I'd love to watch that one.
Your neighbor is going to have a new azzhole.
It will stretch from his eyebrows to his toes.....

Get me a beer, and bait my hook, while I watch....
Actually, this kind of reminds me of the story of Olaf and Sven, when Olaf saw a bobcat up a tree.

"Say, Sven, I tink might like to have me a bobcat for a pet. I'm goin' up dere to catch 'im."

"Okey, dokey, Olaf," says Sven. "I'll wait right here."

So Olie climbs the tree, and after about 10 minutes of strum und drang, Sven calls out, "Say, Olaf, d'you want me come up and help you catch dat dere bobcat?"

Replies Sven, "Oh, no, Sven. But I could use some help lettin' him go..."
They can be as much fun as a opossum in a box,in a small storage room.

With your brother and his wife blocking the door way.

It was a fun moment to be sure. grin
for some strange reason, around here they like to bungee-jump...

might tell him to throw some cords up to them....

[Linked Image]

I'd ask is that coon really stuck? They're great climbers and I'd bet the coon is waiting for the commotion to end and then climb down...at night most likely as that's when they're active.

Since the neighbor is into "less lethal" methods suggest that he hit the coon with a jet nozzle sprayer on the end of his hose. Get the camera ready!
I think a first aid kit would be a minimum, to go with the video camera smirk

When I was quite young, Dad had a lady bring her car into his shop. He gave her a ride back to her house, then jacked up her car and rolled under it. A very angry coon was sitting on top of the rear axle. He assumed it was someone's pet, because this was in the middle of town. He called her, and no it wasn't hers, nor any of her neighbors, and she did ask her neighbors if they had a pet coon. Finally my Dad and brother put on some heavy welding gloves, grabbed it and threw it in a burlap sack. They took it to the edge of town, and turned it loose.
Looking forward to seeing the video!
I had one stuck in a tree once. I shot him and he was stuck about 30 feet up. The next year it was still there. I should go look for the skeleton. smile

JD338
I had a kid (14 y.o.) in Concussion Clinic week who fell out of a tree, which is a little bit different mechanism of injury than the usual football/soccer sports concussions. Turns out the kid shot a 'coon with his .22 and it climbed a tree to die. It died, fell into a branch fork, and kid climbed up to get it. Turned out to be not all the way dead yet.

His older brother came with him, said it was pretty funny to watch and he had video on his phone to show me. It was pretty funny, in a 20-foot-freefall-onto-bare-ground sort of way.
Heck yes I'd loan him a ladder and a pillow case...tell him to put it in the case and tote it down.
Then I'd step off a few dozen yards, start filming and go on and dial 9-1-...
I can see where just shooting the phugger would solve a lot of issues between you and your neighbor in the future...
As far as the coon, he'll come down when he gets ready.
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
I can see where just shooting the phugger would solve a lot of issues between you and your neighbor in the future...
As far as the coon, he'll come down when he gets ready.

grin
Lend him the ladder then see how long it takes for the new stickers to show up on new ladders.....
I shoot the bastids on sight. In this case I would make an exception. Grab the video camera and a six.

Ernie
I have 3 baby birds stranded in a nest out back here. They are calling to me for help. "Peep..peep..peep!!". They are just out of my reach. Other larger birds come occasionaly, briefly, but the pitiful peeping continues. What should I do?
Help my fish are drowning.
Tell the neighbor not to mind the agitated state of the critter when he climbs close, it's just "sensing" it's coming rescue. Tell him the best grip is to reach for the scruff of the neck from below......
Originally Posted by poboy
I have 3 baby birds stranded in a nest out back here. They are calling to me for help. "Peep..peep..peep!!". They are just out of my reach. Other larger birds come occasionaly, briefly, but the pitiful peeping continues. What should I do?

Exactly! grin
Hell yes! You can't buy entertainment like that.......Yer neighbor is in for a surprise. grin
.22 in the feet of the coon till he climbs down ... Rite into a new coon dogu are training...thats how we did it,fixed 2things at à time
Originally Posted by atvalaska
.22 in the feet of the coon till he climbs down ... Rite into a new coon dogu are training...thats how we did it,fixed 2things at à time

[Linked Image]
I can't help but think of this old comedy bit by Jerry Clower....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AX9QoFhEhI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1cmMKehBmA

I still laugh my azz off...
Stuck in a tree? I don't think that is possible.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5561704-daredevil-raccoon-climbs-200-metres-up-toronto-crane/

Originally Posted by heavywalker
Help my fish are drowning.

Beat me to it......my fish is stuck in the pond......my bird is stuck on a thermal....

The neighbor in this case doesn't need a ladder, he needs to follow the yellow brick road to Oz and ask for a brain.
Don't y'all forget the popcorn!!

Jim
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Tell the neighbor not to mind the agitated state of the critter when he climbs close, it's just "sensing" it's coming rescue. Tell him the best grip is to reach for the scruff of the neck from below......

That's s stupid rookie technique. He needs to grab the 'coon by its tail. You're welcome.

wink
The li fug_gers won't leave my chickens alone.
I've stood outside in my underwear at 2 in the morning with a flashlight in one hand and a rifle in the other and smoked the little bastards more than once.
Originally Posted by Salmonella
I've stood outside in my underwear at 2 in the morning with a flashlight in one hand and a rifle in the other and smoked the little bastards more than once.

laugh

Bet that would have made a nice DVD...

Maybe even U-Tube material...

DF
My dad grabbed a jackrabbit one time. After it let him go he came home with his jacket shredded from the hind legs. He let all the others go after that. ED K
I had a neighbor a few years back that just moved here from the city. He came over and ask me if I had a pair of gloves he could use. I gave him a pair of cotton gloves that I had on my tractor. I asked him what he needed them for, he told me he had a animal up his tree. Now here you go this is going to get good, I did grab the video camera and if I can find the tape and someone will post it for me its some mighty funny [bleep]. The porcupine won that round hands down but did lose a lot of his quills. I never laughed so hard in my life. Can't fix stupid
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Last time I gave one of the local brothers a freshly ventilated, fat coon, he was so happy, there were tears in his eyes.

Now, why wouldn't you want to share such joy. Seems the demand from those folks peaks around Thanksgiving time.

I always enjoy Thanksgiving... smile

DF

Yup. After deer season I thinned some out around feeders with dog proof traps. When I took the neighbor 3 fresh coons you'd a thought I'd gave him a $100 bill.

I'm guessing your neighbors are still having the "what's been seen can't be unseen" conversation........😁
In the 80s my wife complained of a smell in the garage. After a while of looking around I traced the smell to a possum the had gotten his tail jammed in the ceiling brace for the door rails and was hanging dead upside down. Probably been there a couple of days.
Heh..heh.

I would loan him the ladder and then start filming a video for youtube comedy hour
Originally Posted by USMC2602

I'm guessing your neighbors are still having the "what's been seen can't be unseen" conversation........😁

laugh

Seems that vision in my mind's eye lingers...

I can sympathize with the neighbors...

DF
Leave 'em alone! He'll be dead come morning, along side the road.
Please tell me your neighbor is sacharlie!
Ha.
Why in hell aren't we watching a video about now.
no kidding!
If there is a 'God of Hilarity and Things That Ought to Be', the neighbor went into the tree after this guy's cousin...

[Linked Image]
Shoot them all. They got in my chicken coop again and lost some good hens. The week before the neighbors Black Lab got 2 or 3 of them. Had 10, now I 'm down to 5. I got 6 coons this week, so far. ( Coon cuff traps.)
Tell the neighbor to grab it by the scruff of the neck and stuff it in the front of his shirt so he has both hands free to climb down.
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Why in hell aren't we watching a video about now.

Was wondering the same thing, I awoke early this am hoping for the video, what a let down.
To those who went to get a six-pack
That's overkill

You won't have time to fully enjoy the first!
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Yeah, "stuck in a tree" may be what a slicker sees...

If he'd left it alone, it would have come down soon enough.

+1

.........as soon as the sun goes down
Originally Posted by mark shubert
To those who went to get a six-pack
That's overkill

You won't have time to fully enjoy the first!

Apparently you have never seen the group on this forum drink! laugh
How bout a picture instead. Here is chicken killer #7 this week. Beautiful animal but just nasty. [Linked Image]
A portion of a town north of us lost electricity when a coon got into a transformer. Blew it out and they were down for quite a while.
They didn't say on TV but I'm assuming it was a 4legged model.
That's how plott hounds get their brindle...
Originally Posted by ihookem
How bout a picture instead. Here is chicken killer #7 this week. Beautiful animal but just nasty. [Linked Image]

Love those dogproof traps.....work just splendid on the little masked raiders! LOL
They are easy to pick up if you hypnotize them first. I just repeat 'hey little guy' in a soothing voice while drawing an imaginary X between the ears and eyes. The gentle application of a 22 Short and they are quite submissive.
Ya notice the coon cuff trap? Once in a while I get a skunk but never anything else.

He seems to have a worried look on his face, probably with good cause.

DF
Ya notice the coon cuff trap? Once in a while I get a skunk but never anything else.

It can depend on the bait you use. Fish based baits call in skunks as well.....sweet baits, marshmallows etc can help keep skunks out of your sets.
Still hoping for video......
Fingers crossed.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Still hoping for video......
Fingers crossed.

Be patient, right now the neigbor is still adding up all the medical bills.
© 24hourcampfire