Home
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Hooray for Wal Mart - 05/22/15
BREAKING: Walmart Makes Major Announcement Affecting 250,000 People Nationwide

For many veterans, finding gainful employment after leaving the military is extremely difficult — especially if one’s military occupational specialty doesn’t translate well to the civilian world.

However, America’s largest retailer is changing that with their Veterans Welcome Home Commitment program, which aims to hire 250,000 honorably discharged veterans into their vast workforce by 2020.

The program launched in 2013, with a goal of hiring 100,000 veterans by 2018, but thanks to an overwhelming response they’ve hired 92,000 veterans already, which prompted the change in number and timeline for their recruitment goals.

It’s a program that actually guarantees employment to any veteran with an honorable discharge.

According to Fox Business, retired Brig. Gen. Gary Profit, Walmart’s senior director of military programs, said of the program, “We’ve experienced a tremendous response to the Veterans Welcome Home Commitment in our first two years, and as more service members transition out of active duty, we know we can do more.”

Nate Waits, a retired Marine and current Walmart employee, spoke on Fox News’ “Your World” and praised the retailer for reaching out to the veteran community, men and women who often struggle after parting ways with the military.

“I think it’s something that holds value and I think that veterans have something to offer the civilian working world,” Waits explained. “And I really appreciated Walmart for looking into that.”

He went on to describe the win-win situation for veterans and Walmart, as the military instills many desirable characteristics upon service members, including teamwork, leadership and a strong work ethic — traits that make for highly desirable employees (H/T Fox News).

We salute Walmart for taking veterans seriously and looking out for them as they transition back to civilian life, which is almost never smooth. The uncertainty of the future for any veteran leaving the military is scary, but thanks to Walmart guaranteeing them jobs, that’s one less thing many vets will have to worry about.

Share this on Facebook and Twitter if you support Walmart for hiring hundreds of thousands of military veterans who might have otherwise not found employment after leaving the service.
Posted By: EdM Re: Hooray for Wal Mart - 05/22/15
Few better than Walmart. Very few.
Posted By: CRS Re: Hooray for Wal Mart - 05/22/15
Originally Posted by EdM
Few better than Veterans. Very few.

fixed it for you

EdM,
Respectfully disagree.

There are some underlying reasons for WM pushing the hiring of veterans.

WM is just spinning it into a PR opportunity.

Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Hooray for Wal Mart - 05/22/15
Tell that to the vets getting jobs.
Posted By: rattler Re: Hooray for Wal Mart - 05/22/15
course Walmart is using it for PR, but they are also giving jobs.....very lil in this life is truly done altruistically, chit happens cause someone sees something in it for them....even if that something is making themselves feel good....still they are putting their money where their mouth is and doing something obviously alot of other businesses arent or this wouldnt be news worthy
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Hooray for Wal Mart - 05/22/15
It is PR! WM pays very little and this is a good way to get good PR. Their turn over is terrible and they always need people.
I have no use for them.
I had no idea.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Hooray for Wal Mart - 05/22/15
Yes, a corporation will hire 250k people as a PR stunt. Yes.
Posted By: rattler Re: Hooray for Wal Mart - 05/22/15
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
It is PR! WM pays very little and this is a good way to get good PR. Their turn over is terrible and they always need people.
I have no use for them.

could say the same of one of the local banks or the department with the state i work for....high turnover there aswell.....Walmarts high turnover cause its a low wage job.....but the economy does need low wage jobs.....it is what it is....cant sell the cheap ass goods everyone wants if your paying everyone $15 an hour....yeah they may not pay much but that 6 months or a year of steady employment and a good recommendation sure looks good when making the step to another job....Walmart is not ment to be a creer path, just a stepping stone and and some people would rather work than b!tch and sit living on handouts....not sure where this country got the idea that every job should mean affording a house and two cars.....
Posted By: CRS Re: Hooray for Wal Mart - 05/22/15
Originally Posted by EdM
I had no idea.

Sorry, I missed the sarcasm in your original post. cool

I do tire of folks that have made the choice, yes as dumbazzes have made the choice, to live the life they whine. Chitt, we are here once (at least by my books) and have to choose the misery, or not? And what is it we should do better than our own such that will not be such whiner's?
Posted By: ringworm Re: Hooray for Wal Mart - 05/22/15
Originally Posted by Calvin
Yes, a corporation will hire 250k people as a PR stunt. Yes.

Probably not , but they WILL for a sunstancial tax credit like the Work Opportunity Tax Credit Extended...
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Hooray for Wal Mart - 05/23/15
Walmart has done a great job of destroying good local merchants and other low end marketers while attracting a very large client base which seems pretty questionable in many respects. Flipping burgers would be much higher on my list of potential workplaces if simply getting a job was my goal.
Posted By: RogueHunter Re: Hooray for Wal Mart - 05/23/15

Good Lord.

Who's says the Vet has to retire as a stock clerk??

If a Vet finds a job while he transitions back into society, or works at Wally world while going to school at night, well then, God bless Walmart and God bless the Vet. It's a steady job while he find something more lucrative. Wally World wasn't meant to pay the support of a family of 4.

Posted By: viking Re: Hooray for Wal Mart - 05/23/15
If they are going to keep employees down to 28 hours or less, they will need to hire a ton more employees to fill the schedule. I skimmed the article, I didn't see key words like full time or benefits being used.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Hooray for Wal Mart - 05/23/15
Originally Posted by CRS
Originally Posted by EdM
Few better than Veterans. Very few.

fixed it for you

EdM,
Respectfully disagree.

There are some underlying reasons for WM pushing the hiring of veterans.

WM is just spinning it into a PR opportunity.

What facts are you basing this on? When they do something for the common good, you guys still have to bash them. Why don't you go ask these newly employed vets what their thoughts are on this?
Posted By: Gun_Geezer Re: Hooray for Wal Mart - 05/23/15
I still won't go into one unless there is NO other choice. I'll pay an extra 25% to avoid that zoo.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Hooray for Wal Mart - 05/23/15
Wal-Mart recently announced they are raising the minimum wage they pay to 10.00 an hour. That's alot better than many places that pay the Federal minimum of 7.25. It's also possible to work your way up to a management position and that pays fairly well with benefits.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Hooray for Wal Mart - 05/23/15
Wal Mart has never forced any small business to shut down.

People who stop shopping at the small businesses and flock to Wal Mart do!

Good for vets, good for Wal Mart
Posted By: CRS Re: Hooray for Wal Mart - 05/23/15
Working for WM in a management position for more than a few years. Now in a much better environment.

I was asked to move up more than once, but did not want WM to be my career. I would not drink the WM kool aid and just wanted to come work and perform my job to the best of my ability and give the usual 110%.

I have no issue with them hiring veterans. They have been hiring the unhireable for more than a few years. Definitely a step up going with honorably discharged veterans.

1. They take orders, no questioned asked.
2. They do not have to pay them benefits because of military benefits.
3. Good PR, which they desperately need.

Did everyone miss the latest PR on how they are raising wages for their employees. They are not doing that for altruistic reasons. They simply could not get satisfactory persons hired at the current pay rate.

Applicants are not passing drug/background checks. Getting hired and not showing up because they are finding better opportunites.

This was in western SD, my guess is that it is much worse in bigger cities. From my experience in other WM's around the country as a customer, I think I am spot on.

Posted By: noKnees Re: Hooray for Wal Mart - 05/23/15
Its a good deal for the veterans.

Hopefully most will use time at walmart to get schooling and move into the career field they dream of. But getting out can be a stressful time, lots of changes, but having a job and a paycheck can help to make the transition a little easier.
Posted By: rattler Re: Hooray for Wal Mart - 05/23/15
Originally Posted by TBREW401

this....PEOPLE decided they wanted big box stores more than small shops.....had Walmart not done it someone else would have and you would be b!tching bout them cause it wasnt that hard of an idea to come up with.....
Posted By: Ringman Re: Hooray for Wal Mart - 05/23/15
Bigbuck215,

Good post. Thanks.
Posted By: funshooter Re: Hooray for Wal Mart - 05/23/15
GEE I wonder where the idea of the ENTRY LEVEL job ever went.

It seems like everyone wants to start at the top with the big money and put forth no effort of there own to get there.

WM is a great example of an Entry Level job.

Get some experience maybe a little training and move on.

WM is just showing what the rest of the country has forgotten or ignores.

Great for Walmart and a great start back for the ones that stood up and sacrificed for this country.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Hooray for Wal Mart - 05/23/15
Originally Posted by rattler
Originally Posted by TBREW401

this....PEOPLE decided they wanted big box stores more than small shops.....had Walmart not done it someone else would have and you would be b!tching bout them cause it wasnt that hard of an idea to come up with.....

.....to continue in the same vein, it's also why we have Atlanta, New York, LA...............and Obama. (Unlike the early Walmart Stores, at least Obama has stayed true to his promises.....we did get 'Change'...and some people still believe in it.)
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Hooray for Wal Mart - 05/23/15
CRS,
Veterans only get healthcare and retirement benefits if they retire.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Hooray for Wal Mart - 05/23/15
Originally Posted by funshooter

It seems like everyone wants to start at the top with the big money and put forth no effort of there own to get there.

Great for Walmart and a great start back for the ones that stood up and sacrificed for this country.

I would hope our veterans are a little past entry level.

Nothing against Wal-Mart doing this, but I guess if my choice is living on the street or Wal-Mart , I'd be excited about it.

Wish veterans could do a little better

My company offered free training classes for veterans and priority hiring for those that were qualified.

I have a former Marine that was in Afghanistan hired onto my team. He has since quit for a job that didn't require travel.

I can't say as to how many we have hired but only a handful finished the training.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Hooray for Wal Mart - 05/23/15
the story above doesn't say entry level unless I missed that.

everyone assuming that.

there's more to wal mart than checkers and door greeters.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Hooray for Wal Mart - 05/23/15
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
the story above doesn't say entry level unless I missed that.

everyone assuming that.

there's more to wal mart than checkers and door greeters.

Exactly
Posted By: funshooter Re: Hooray for Wal Mart - 05/23/15
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by funshooter

I would hope our veterans are a little past entry level.

Nothing against Wal-Mart doing this, but I guess if my choice is living on the street or Wal-Mart , I'd be excited about it.

Wish veterans could do a little better

My company offered free training classes for veterans and priority hiring for those that were qualified.

I have a former Marine that was in Afghanistan hired onto my team. He has since quit for a job that didn't require travel.

I can't say as to how many we have hired but only a handful finished the training.

I did not wish to dis respect our Veterans
and I would hope that the majority of them that served their time have usable skills to transfer to civilian jobs.

I have met a few from Desert Storm and some of the one's I have met were pretty messed up mentally and physically. They had a hard time just getting around but all of them that I have met still wanted to give what they could if given a chance.

Some of them have not had the chance to show what they could do and that to me is a very bad scenario for those that have served and then have been forgotten or even worse Thrown away from society.

Some times they just need a fresh start and We The People owe then at the very least that.
Posted By: DancesWithGuns Re: Hooray for Wal Mart - 05/23/15
Wal-Mart WANTS more vets because they are good employees.....they know how to take orders and work difficult shift work, nights, weekends, etc.

It's a shameless public relations scam by the big whore of retailing......specializing in exploiting poor people as employees with little in the way of pay or benefits and selling cheap Chinese crap to poor people.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Hooray for Wal Mart - 05/23/15
Wal-Mart isn't union, that's a huge reason to support them.
Posted By: DancesWithGuns Re: Hooray for Wal Mart - 05/23/15
Who let the anti-union puke in?
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Hooray for Wal Mart - 05/23/15
Originally Posted by DancesWithGuns
Strive for PC (polite and courteous).

The result will be threads that don't have to be vanished.

smile
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: Hooray for Wal Mart - 05/23/15
Be all you can be then wall Mart??
Posted By: edk Re: Hooray for Wal Mart - 05/23/15
I worked entry level or poor paying jobs most of my life.Beats the hell out of no job. I could have sat on my ass and pissed and moaned about it but that would not have paid the bills. Many times i would have loved a low paying job anywhere. Hope this gets a few vets some money to go on. ED K
Posted By: DancesWithGuns Re: Hooray for Wal Mart - 05/24/15
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by DancesWithGuns
Strive for PC (polite and courteous).

The result will be threads that don't have to be vanished.

smile

Wise words indeed.

Posted By: CRS Re: Hooray for Wal Mart - 05/26/15
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
CRS,
Veterans only get healthcare and retirement benefits if they retire.

I am not going to pretend I know everything about benefits. But I have a friend that that did not retire from the military and has partial VA benefits.
© 24hourcampfire