Home
Posted By: RickBin The Hunting Boot Thread - 05/23/15
Gents:

Some of you may know that I suffered from a bad right ankle for many years. It's a long story, but the end result is that now it has been surgically repaired, and I've recovered mostly. Pre-surgery, I had to buy overkill boots ... something that would positively absolutely keep me from rolling my ankle in the field. That lead to me using lots of heavy, tall, sometimes cumbersome boots.

Ankle support is still important, obviously, but now, I find myself able to shop much more "normally" for boots. I'd like to hear what people are using, in what conditions, and why.

I'll start:

Tried lots of boots: Danners, Red Wings, Rocky, Meindls (Cabelas), Hanwag, Asolos, Merrells, and others (Schnees, Sorels, Mucks) . Meindls seemed to work best for me as a hunting boot, even though I had to return two sets of Canadas due to stitching failures (when they were double-stitched only). Then Alaskas, but they were heavy. Then some hikers (pre-Perfekts), that were solid, but heavy for hikers.

Got into some Hanwag Trapper Tops and also some Cordura hikers. Good, but .. heavy. Felt like Herman Munster in them.

Finally tried some Asolos post-surgery, Echo, Neutron, and Fugitive GTX. Loved the Echo (non-Gore-Tex version of Fugitive GTX). Tried the Neutron but the last is not the same last as the Echo, and they just were not the same. Looked for Echos, but they had been discontinued, and then I read reviews on the Fugitive GTX and saw where they use the same last as the Echo and that special-ops guys love them in the sandbox, and so I bought a pair to replace my Echos.

Put some miles (kilometers smile ) on them in Argentina, and whooee ... did my ankle like these boots!

Asolo Fugitive GTX is my new favorite boot. Light enough, tough, easy to walk in all day due to their very stable last, protects my ankle ... love them. Top of the list for me for a new pair, but am very interested to hear others' experience and what they are currently riding.

How about you?
Posted By: eh76 Re: The Hunting Boot Thread - 05/23/15
Thanks for the review Rick. I have rolled both ankles out hunting. Gopher holes, hill sides one wrong step and down a guy goes. Surprised I haven't broke one yet. Close but not thankfully. Been wearing Danner GTX which has little ankle support. Bought the Meindls (Cabelas) for a sheep hunt in 2009. So far mine have held up. I need to wear them more when I am hunting but you are right they are heavy. To easy to go light in antelope season. I will look into those Asolo Fugitive GTX.
Posted By: smokepole Re: The Hunting Boot Thread - 05/23/15
I've settled on Hanwag Mountain Lights and Lowa Renegades. Also Vasque Bitteroots.
Posted By: dogzapper Re: The Hunting Boot Thread - 05/23/15

I've worn White's Magnum boots with Airbob soles for probably my last twenty years of hunting. I've been running the same two pairs for all that time and they've been rebuilt and resoled by White's at least three times.

They've been incredible boots.

White's are probably "old school" and way outmoded by today's standards, but they've always worked for me.

Oh yeah, in really, really cold (like -20º) and deep snow, I have two pairs of Grizzly Boots. They're leather pacs with ½-inch wool felt liners and Air Bob soles. They were made in Montana probably twenty-five years ago (even back then, they were $275 a pair). I think Schnee's bought them out and probably screwed up one heck of a fine snow pac.

Blessings,

Steve

I like light weight boots for hunting, particularly sheep hunting.

lol, my faves were a pair of Nike (boots btw) ACG that a pard bought out of STP that were too tight for him.

they've been put thru the mill and I just them for around the house now.

I'd have to look in my sheep box to see what I've got as a replacement.

I've never needed a lot of ankle support, but have picked up a hitch in my getalong in the ankle bone that's connected to the shin bone as of late.

for moose hunting I either wear my, Danners, Hanwags or hip boots, (mostly hip boots)

but for mountain hunting, I really like to keep the footwear light, those and a last that fits me and a good sole (I prefer Vibrams) are the ticket for me.

gonna give your new faves a looksee Binster, thanks for prompting this.

Posted By: schoolmarm Re: The Hunting Boot Thread - 05/23/15
Thanks for letting us know about the GTXs. I'm in a cast right now with a screwed up ankle. Will check them out when I get it off next week..
I've learned to wear boots for the hike out, not in.
Posted By: krp Re: The Hunting Boot Thread - 05/23/15
My main boots are Lowa, boots change as fast as cell phones so I'm sure mine are noncataloged now.

Urban desert GTX model for most my hunting here in Az, high top, light for a boot made to carry heavy loads.

Baltoro model, low top yet again sturdy enough to carry heavy loads.

Hunter GTX extreme... have to admit I've never worn these, Frankenstein boots, thought I may have to move north for work and bought them for work and play. Not much use for them here in az now.

For snow I have asolo sasslong if needed, another tough boot but heavier, I use these quite a bit.

Main thing for me is tough enough for side hilling with a heavy pack, either packing camp in or packing meat out.

Danners, the midpriced chinese lightweight comfortable ones are fine for day hunting on fairly flat country, but can't hold up to loads and sidehilling, the sides blowout and ankle support gone. Same with the old rockies. I still have some around.

My Lowas and asolo will last me the rest of my hunting life, not sure what new models are the hot thing. Look at what's hot in the backpacking community, that's where technology is advancing.

Hunting store name brand camo boots are seldom even close to the best that's available for price... though they may look outdoorish...

Kent
Posted By: cra1 Re: The Hunting Boot Thread - 05/23/15
I have four pair of russells, two light weight pairs, one triple vamp pair that I wear most every day, and a pair of triple vamp with insulation for the winter, this are the only hoes I wear, 7 days a week and I hunt for a living so hey get used, till I find a boot that holds up as good and feel s good as Russells I will keep wearing them
Ive bad ankles, one of which I've sprained more times than I can count. I need the ankle support too. Used to wear Buffalo smokejumpers (Cheaper Whites) that then became Hathorns. Love them, but heavy heavy heavy. The best I've found were Zamberland, I think they're called Elk GTX. Most comfortable boots I"ve ever had. Worn out 2 pairs now. Light, and good support. The hooks for the laces seem to be the weak point though.
Posted By: eyeball Re: The Hunting Boot Thread - 05/23/15
So, uh, what size and price on those you dont like, Rick. smile

I grew up in East Texas and had cousins handmedowns for Sunday and a yearly pair of high top tenners for school and cold weather hunting.

My first pr of steel toe Redwings for the oilfield summer job seemed to be a dream of a hunting boot for me. smile
Posted By: MadMooner Re: The Hunting Boot Thread - 05/23/15
The old Scarpa Rios were the chit. Best boots I've ever had, though a bit heavy.

I've some AKU's now that do pretty well. Lighter than the Rios, but not quite as stiff and supportive.

I ruptured some tendon in my foot, so now my big toe doesn't work and I have a knot on the inside of my ankle that gets hell for sore if I don't watch it.
For warmer weather and shorter hunts i wear a set of high end merrils.

If long distances or steep i wear 6" Asolo Sassalongs.

For cold, snow and real heavy work i like my Lowa Hunter GTX
Posted By: BigBullet Re: The Hunting Boot Thread - 05/23/15
Hello Rick,
I am a fellow weak ankle guy and consider my footwear by far to be the most important piece of my equipment when I travel to hunt. I am so paranoid about losing my boots when flying to Africa that I normally wear them.

The boots I have settled on at Russell Moccasons, in the Joe's PH style. I find them sufficiently ankle stabilizing and at the same time fairly lightweight. Of course this is for hunting dry warm climates. I have not tried their other styles of footwear.
Posted By: 700LH Re: The Hunting Boot Thread - 05/23/15
Bad ankle almost 30 years before complete fusion.
Worked and played in the woods or on uneven ground a lot.
The boots that gave the best support were good hand made boots such at White's or WESCO.
Probably heavier than your looking for, but the support probably can't be beat.
Posted By: walt501 Re: The Hunting Boot Thread - 05/23/15
Last November the cold, snow and freezing rain came early to central Minnesota. My Uncle, a few years old than me, slipped on the ice and managed to dislocate his shoulder and tear several tendons. Surgery and six months of physical rehab got me thinking, I rarely wear the best shoes for snow and ice when running errands. Plenty of slippery driveways and parking lots put me on the hunt for a pair of winter boots. I finally settled on a pair of Lowa Renegade GTX Mid hiking boots. After wearing them all last winter I couldn't be happier with the choice. Warm, stable and oh so comfortable, they're the best boot I've worn for anything a Minnesota winter can dish out.
Posted By: Scott F Re: The Hunting Boot Thread - 05/23/15
Originally Posted by dogzapper

I've worn White's Magnum boots with Airbob soles for probably my last twenty years of hunting. I've been running the same two pairs for all that time and they've been rebuilt and resoled by White's at least three times.

They've been incredible boots.

White's are probably "old school" and way outmoded by today's standards, but they've always worked for me.

Oh yeah, in really, really cold (like -20º) and deep snow, I have two pairs of Grizzly Boots. They're leather pacs with ½-inch wool felt liners and Air Bob soles. They were made in Montana probably twenty-five years ago (even back then, they were $275 a pair). I think Schnee's bought them out and probably screwed up one heck of a fine snow pac.

Blessings,

Steve

I wear White's loggers. Doubt I will live long enough to wear them out.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: The Hunting Boot Thread - 05/24/15
I wear Russell Moccasin boots. I bought my first pair in 82 and wore them out after 20 years. Bought a pair of TLC triple vamps with air bob soles and a pair of Kangaroo bird shooters. I expect to wear them both for the rest of my hunting life.
They are the most comfortable boots I have ever owned but they should be. They are made for my feet. I have never seen any other boots that compare.
I wear LaCrosse Burleys for hunting in the swamp.
I foolishly tossed my last pair of whites survivors instead of rebuild. I personally like meindls of years past.....but qc seems to be slipping. Scarpa, la sportiva and the like are more boot for even money if you can handle the color. .....which I can.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: The Hunting Boot Thread - 05/24/15
I have pretty much stopped wearing boots all together. Keen sandals for the most part, or Danner low top shoes.
When hiking or hunting in certain areas, I will put on the zip up, knee high Rocky snake boots. They are water proof as well, and reasonably comfortable to wear.
Posted By: prm Re: The Hunting Boot Thread - 05/24/15
I really do not like stiff heavy boots. However, I really want protection from rolling an ankle when miles from help. I ended up trying the Salomon Quest 4D GTX. I love these boots! Light, comfortable, water proof, great traction and yet I believe they provide great ankle stability. Clearly boots, more than any other piece of equipment, are a personal choice, but the Salomons are worth a try if that is what you are looking for.
Kenetrek boots gave been excellent so far. The Hard Scramble are my favorite configuration. Been considering trying a pair of Asolo Fugitive GTX
Posted By: KC Re: The Hunting Boot Thread - 05/24/15

It seems that I always manage to cross some tallus rock or marsh mounds. Those are great places/terrain to break an ankle. So I also need boots with good ankle support.

I'm having trouble wearing out my Kennetrek Hardscrabble boots. They are heavy but they are really durable and they have great ankle support. I assume that sooner or later I will accomplish the mission and when I do I'll probably get a pair of Asolo Ascender GV boots. I like those boots because they have a genuine Vibram sole and a rubber rand that extends around the entire length of the boot. I think they are lighter than My Kennetrek boots. http://www.amazon.com/Asolo-Ascende...4211&sr=1-1&keywords=ascender+gv

KC

Posted By: kamo_gari Re: The Hunting Boot Thread - 05/24/15
The past few years I've worn Meindl, and I've been positively thrilled with their performance. I've only worn them in cold snowy/icy/wet/muddy conditions, though. I suspect they will prove uncomfortable in dry, desert type conditions, but I just may bring them anyway to test. Very happy with them.
Posted By: stomatador Re: The Hunting Boot Thread - 05/24/15
I'm in a similar position. Except when packing, I've always worn lightweight hiking boots, I even have a pair with sneaker type soles, but I've had some plantar faciitous lately and have started looking around.

I picked up a pair of Asolo Fugitive GTX's yesterday and put a few miles on them today while turkey hunting. They felt a bit stiff for the first hour but seem like they're breaking in nicely. My feet are pretty good but my knees are tired tonight, however that may not be the fault of the boots.
Posted By: logger Re: The Hunting Boot Thread - 05/24/15
Rick (and others):

I'm always on the look out for good boots. I currently wear US made Danners for my every day boot and Hanwags for hunting in Wyoming.

The question that I have is: for those of you that have a narrower foot (i.e. B or C width) what boot have you found to work well for a narrower foot. Also, do many of you wear custom orthotics insoles in your boots?
Posted By: Scott F Re: The Hunting Boot Thread - 05/24/15
Originally Posted by logger
Rick (and others):

I'm always on the look out for good boots. I currently wear US made Danners for my every day boot and Hanwags for hunting in Wyoming.

The question that I have is: for those of you that have a narrower foot (i.e. B or C width) what boot have you found to work well for a narrower foot. Also, do many of you wear custom orthotics insoles in your boots?

White's will make a last for your feet and a boot that will fit no matter what shape.
Posted By: BGunn Re: The Hunting Boot Thread - 05/24/15
Originally Posted by logger
............. Also, do many of you wear custom orthotics insoles in your boots?

My feet were feeling pretty well beat up after wearing any of my boots for any length of time.
In desperation, I tried out that Dr. Scholl's thing where you step on the machine, go through some 4 or 5 "tests", and it tells you what insole to buy...

Their not cheap at near $50.00 bucks a whack, but I've been screwed over by enough podiatrists "cures" that the $50.00 was worth the gamble.

I'll tell you this, after wearing the insoles for 2 weeks, I went back and bought a second pair.
The insoles seem to redistribute my foot pressure to be more even across my entire foot. My foot pain is gone.....

YMMV

Bill
I put green Super Feet insoles in my boots and shoes. They come in different colors for different insteps.
I have pretty flat feet.

These work GREAT for me and give me more arch support.

Virgil B.
Posted By: deflave Re: The Hunting Boot Thread - 05/25/15
I don't have the ankles of a young girl and I don't pursue Dall Sheep every weekend so 9 times out of 10 I wear a low cut Keen and gaiters.

Travis
Originally Posted by high_country_
I foolishly tossed my last pair of whites survivors instead of rebuild. I personally like meindls of years past.....but qc seems to be slipping. Scarpa, la sportiva and the like are more boot for even money if you can handle the color. .....which I can.

I've been using the Scarpa Escape for 3 years now, top shelf build quality.. A bit heavy for the hike in, but feel great on the way out when the pack can have 80 lbs of meat in it, and there's a couple of miles of blowdown to get through.
Posted By: smokepole Re: The Hunting Boot Thread - 05/25/15
But don't your feet get tired when you're out on long walks looking for the right ammo.?
Originally Posted by deflave
I don't have the ankles of a young girl and I don't pursue Dall Sheep every weekend so 9 times out of 10 I wear a low cut Keen and gaiters.

Travis

Fuggin' flat lander.
Posted By: deflave Re: The Hunting Boot Thread - 05/25/15
Originally Posted by smokepole
But don't your feet get tired when you're out on long walks looking for the right ammo.?

The correct ammo is always on my person.

Somewhere...

Dave
Posted By: smokepole Re: The Hunting Boot Thread - 05/25/15
Your person? You use a gun bearer?
Posted By: Huntz Re: The Hunting Boot Thread - 05/25/15
I have had bad ankles since i was a kid.The absolutely best mountain boot I have ever worn are Vasques with the air bob soles.I bought some of the Meindels last fall for a hunt and have to say I was impressed with them.Too me ankle support trumps weight any day!!!
Posted By: stomatador Re: The Hunting Boot Thread - 05/29/15
The Zamberlan Elk GTX looks pretty good. I've been looking at the 960 Guide GTX. If I get a chance to try them on and they fit I'll be picking up a pair
Posted By: utah708 Re: The Hunting Boot Thread - 05/29/15
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by smokepole

The correct ammo is always on my person.

Somewhere...

Dave

Always the correct ammo, but sometimes the wrong gun...
Posted By: tedthorn Re: The Hunting Boot Thread - 05/30/15
Lowa and Kenetrek for light weight and strong

I have no complaints and the Lowa customer service department know their boots
Posted By: stomatador Re: The Hunting Boot Thread - 08/22/16
I now have a few hundred miles in the Asolo Fugitive GTX's including over 22 miles on this last Saturday. I still like them. They're good for my ankles and give great stability when side-hilling.
Originally Posted by stomatador
I now have a few hundred miles in the Asolo Fugitive GTX's including over 22 miles on this last Saturday. I still like them. They're good for my ankles and give great stability when side-hilling.

Thanks for the thread resurrection - I'm always looking to see what might be next.

The Fugitive GTX has been my go-to for a decade. I did bump-up to the 520 GoreTex for a sheep hunt, but the Fugitives held up just fine in the Alps last month.

FC
Like em or hate em. Here is my nearly 750 miles hiked boots. These boots saw some wet, steep, rugged coditions. They held up well, and were recently replaced with the same model.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: The Hunting Boot Thread - 08/22/16
In for reference
Posted By: hanco Re: The Hunting Boot Thread - 08/22/16
I got my cast off two weeks ago. I will see if I can locate some. Deer season is close. Hunt in the Texas hill country. I'm gonna need something with support.
Originally Posted by RickBin
Gents:

Some of you may know that I suffered from a bad right ankle for many years. It's a long story, but the end result is that now it has been surgically repaired, and I've recovered mostly. Pre-surgery, I had to buy overkill boots ... something that would positively absolutely keep me from rolling my ankle in the field. That lead to me using lots of heavy, tall, sometimes cumbersome boots.

Ankle support is still important, obviously, but now, I find myself able to shop much more "normally" for boots. I'd like to hear what people are using, in what conditions, and why.

I'll start:

Tried lots of boots: Danners, Red Wings, Rocky, Meindls (Cabelas), Hanwag, Asolos, Merrells, and others (Schnees, Sorels, Mucks) . Meindls seemed to work best for me as a hunting boot, even though I had to return two sets of Canadas due to stitching failures (when they were double-stitched only). Then Alaskas, but they were heavy. Then some hikers (pre-Perfekts), that were solid, but heavy for hikers.

Got into some Hanwag Trapper Tops and also some Cordura hikers. Good, but .. heavy. Felt like Herman Munster in them.

Finally tried some Asolos post-surgery, Echo, Neutron, and Fugitive GTX. Loved the Echo (non-Gore-Tex version of Fugitive GTX). Tried the Neutron but the last is not the same last as the Echo, and they just were not the same. Looked for Echos, but they had been discontinued, and then I read reviews on the Fugitive GTX and saw where they use the same last as the Echo and that special-ops guys love them in the sandbox, and so I bought a pair to replace my Echos.

Put some miles (kilometers smile ) on them in Argentina, and whooee ... did my ankle like these boots!

Asolo Fugitive GTX is my new favorite boot. Light enough, tough, easy to walk in all day due to their very stable last, protects my ankle ... love them. Top of the list for me for a new pair, but am very interested to hear others' experience and what they are currently riding.

How about you?

If Asolo made the GTX in a true EE, I would love them. I tried them, but the toe section just bites the ball of my 9 EE foot terribly. I love them and really wish they fit.
Posted By: Shag Re: The Hunting Boot Thread - 08/22/16
Rick
If you like the Assolo Fugitive then you will love the Salomon Quest 4D GTX. Slightly bigger toe box, more comfort, more ankle support. My ankles are toast and I believe in the Salomon's.

I personally throw in the sofsole insole with the proper arch and it's absolutely a foot orgazim every time I lace them up. I've got two pair. One set I wear to work everyday of the week and completely abuse the other I save just for hikes and hunts.
Posted By: BluMtn Re: The Hunting Boot Thread - 08/23/16
I have been wearing Hanwags for several years now. Both tara tops and the Yellowstones. I have narrow feet and I have had no problem hiking in these boots. They are comfortable and after a long days hike my feet are not screaming to get out of them.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: The Hunting Boot Thread - 08/23/16
I too have EE sized feet. This has made finding the right boot harder. I have been through the whole Meindl, Lowa, Danner et al experiment. I have two main pairs of boots right now; Kennetrek Hardscrabbles and Danner Santiams. It took Kennetrek three tries to get these right but right they are. The Santiams I wear when it is not quite so rough. Arizona is really hard on boots. I typically wear a set out in two seasons. Danners are on third soles. I painted the toe with some type of coating and it has really made them last longer. The original airbob soles lasted two hunts. I now have them rebuilt with Sierra soles. The Kennetreks are far better mountain boots. I have a pair of Whites which are tough and heavy but they are not great hiking boots like the others are.
Posted By: smarquez Re: The Hunting Boot Thread - 08/23/16
Originally Posted by RickBin
Gents:

I'll start:

How about you?

I have a bad ankle and bought uninsulated Danner Pronhorns. I don't do extreme weather activities so decent socks will work for me.
I am interested in what was wrong with your ankle, who your doctor is and the fix. I am in a bone on bone situation with my ankle and am not interested in the fusion solution.
My ankle actually feels best in Gaerne SG12 motocross boots but they are hardly practical for everyday wear.
I don't do much rough country hunting anymore so regular old Red Wings work fine most of the time.

When I am going to be wandering around in steeper areas I have an old pair of Danner Flashpoint wildland fire boots. They have plenty of ankle support and really good soles for traction.

At one time Danner would rebuild them completely when you wore them out. Don't know if they still offer that service since most of their boots are made overseas now.
Posted By: hatari Re: The Hunting Boot Thread - 08/23/16
My foot covering need been simple. Local hunting is easy terrain and the weather is never much below 30ºf. LL Bean's have worked great for years.

For Africa, French Ranger boots made by Palladium have been comfortable footwear there for me on more than a dozen trips. Lots of walking, but not mountainous (most areas - there are exceptions)
Posted By: ajmorell Re: The Hunting Boot Thread - 08/23/16
I've been really happy with my Lowa Renegades but a heavy duty mountaineering boot they're not. They're great for day hikes though.
Re the Fugitive -- I've never bought from this company but here's an amazing price on the wide version:

https://www.trekkinn.com/outdoor-mo...tzWFUtwSWIaYaAjjx8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
© 24hourcampfire