Home
Posted By: Spanokopitas Junkyard Dog? - 05/23/15

I need one to keep the deer out of my vineyard. He must be ready, willing and able to run deer to death.

He will live outdoors May to October in a comfortable doghouse. In the other months he will live indoors. He will be well paid in kibbles and have the best of vet and other human care.

No Pit Bulls need apply.

Suggestions?

Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Junkyard Dog? - 05/23/15
[Linked Image]
Posted By: eh76 Re: Junkyard Dog? - 05/23/15
[Linked Image]
Posted By: eyeball Re: Junkyard Dog? - 05/23/15
Originally Posted by eh76
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Junkyard Dog? - 05/23/15
These work well and are a favorite for many for just that purpose (chasing deer away).

Deer/Bear Guard Dog
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Junkyard Dog? - 05/23/15
Posted By: Partsman Re: Junkyard Dog? - 05/23/15
up here it is illegal to run deer down with a dog.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Junkyard Dog? - 05/23/15
How bout wimmins?
Posted By: THOMASMAGNUM Re: Junkyard Dog? - 05/23/15
[Linked Image]
Posted By: antlers Re: Junkyard Dog? - 05/23/15
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
[Linked Image]

He doesn't wanna run Sasquatch away...just deer.
Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: Junkyard Dog? - 05/23/15
Not sure if he's still available for Hire...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Junkyard Dog? - 05/23/15
It's been my good luck to have worked with MANY fine working breeds over the years, in their natural working environments.

I've SHOT an awful lot of stock and wildlife chasing dogs.
Some of you fine folk here have met my dog(s), and know they're pretty squared away company.

I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding how, if one can't keep deer OUT, he intends to keep this gunpowder dog IN ?

GTC
Posted By: 700LH Re: Junkyard Dog? - 05/23/15
If any of the neighbors are worth their salt, Spanky is gonna to need a regular supply of deer chasin dogs
Posted By: Scott F Re: Junkyard Dog? - 05/23/15
You cannot chase deer with dogs in Oregon but there are a lot of dogs that will keep deer out of a yard. That said a dog keeping deer out of a vineyard would be tough duty. That would be a lot of space to cover and I kind of doubt a dog would consider that much space as his home territory. Then there may be the problem with fencing enough to keep the dog in. A dog free running deer is a legal shot in Oregon.

I am thinking you are barking up the wrong tree so to speak and need to look at other ways to protect the vineyard.
Posted By: BigNate Re: Junkyard Dog? - 05/23/15
1. You've been told. I grew up in Oregon and shooting dogs running deer and stock. The law was on my side EVERY time.

2. Stop being a cheep skate. You seriously want to keep wildlife out high fence it.

3. Troll much?
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Junkyard Dog? - 05/23/15
Originally Posted by Steelhead
These work well and are a favorite for many for just that purpose (chasing deer away).

Deer/Bear Guard Dog

LOL! How do I get Crown and water mixed with snot off my laptop screen?? grin

Mike
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Junkyard Dog? - 05/24/15
I'd recommend that he hire SBH, keep him in pills, cheap wine, and toilet paper. Let him tent around the perimeter.

GTC
Posted By: T LEE Re: Junkyard Dog? - 05/24/15
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Junkyard Dog? - 05/24/15
Seriously, I have heard of Border Collies being trained for similar duty. These duties being flocks of birds on airports and geese on golf courses.

What happens here when the deer gets used to the dog I dunno.
Posted By: las Re: Junkyard Dog? - 05/24/15
Be careful what you wish for.

Robins were eating many of my strawberries.

So I got a dog to chase the robins away.

What I ended up with was a Lab who eats my strawberries.

I have the pictures......
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Junkyard Dog? - 05/24/15
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

I need one to keep the deer out of my vineyard. He must be ready, willing and able to run deer to death.

He will live outdoors May to October in a comfortable doghouse. In the other months he will live indoors. He will be well paid in kibbles and have the best of vet and other human care.

No Pit Bulls need apply.

Suggestions?

Be aware that some dogs learn to love grapes. However, grapes are toxic to dogs and can cause kidney failure.
Posted By: Spanokopitas Re: Junkyard Dog? - 05/24/15
Originally Posted by Partsman
up here it is illegal to run deer down with a dog.

I have a "Harassment" permit which allows me to do just about everything except kill them to protect my crops. I can also apply for a kill permit but it's more trouble than its worth.

We do have deer fencing, about $35,000.00 worth. Problem is our two neighbors have a right-of-way through our vineyard. We leave the gates open from 0900 to 1630 to accommodate them.

The deer come in during the day, hunker down and do their damage at night. We also have to leave the main gate open for tasting room customers.

I go out every night on the quad to "patrol". If I see deer I open a gate and try to chase them out. This can take an hour or so of chase and burns a lot of gas.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Junkyard Dog? - 05/24/15
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Junkyard Dog? - 05/24/15
Can't wait for the oregon idiots to get on here and tell us what a great guy he is.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Junkyard Dog? - 05/24/15
Cattle guards or grates at the gates.

Any dog will run deer. You may not get your dog back though, if he leaves your property. At least not without holes in it.
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Junkyard Dog? - 05/24/15
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Seriously, I have heard of Border Collies being trained for similar duty. These duties being flocks of birds on airports and geese on golf courses.

What happens here when the deer gets used to the dog I dunno.

This little gal is becoming invaluable, in terms of keeping birds out of my small you pick orchard / berry operation. I can tell you that the "Training" is going to be WAY easier with one of the herding breeds ( I WOULD avoid heelers, though). The trainer / handler had better be a dog man, too. Frankly I'm not reading that here, in this particular situation.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: Junkyard Dog? - 05/24/15

Suggestions?

Yeah....

GFY

Dogs are too good for you.

All of them.
Posted By: okie Re: Junkyard Dog? - 05/24/15

We do have deer fencing, about $35,000.00 worth. Problem is our two neighbors have a right-of-way through our vineyard. We leave the gates open from 0900 to 1630 to accommodate them.

The deer come in during the day, hunker down and do their damage at night. We also have to leave the main gate open for tasting room customers.

I go out every night on the quad to "patrol". If I see deer I open a gate and try to chase them out. This can take an hour or so of chase and burns a lot of gas.

Like Cross mentioned you will have to be a dog man to make this work and almost any dog breed will work for this (even a bulldog) but you will have to leave "the quad" parked and work the dogs on foot. No pushing a button. waving a wand or throwing money at the problem will work. Bottom line is your farming and it requires hard work so put your big boy panties on ...
Thanks for all the junkyard dog advice.

Free wine tasting today and tomorrow for all Campfire members. Tell the lovely and gracious Martina that Spano sent you.
© 24hourcampfire