Home
Posted By: LONEOAK Sight Paintng Advice Needed - 05/27/15
Range trip yesterday confirmed my eyesight isn't improving and the small sights on a couple compact pistols are difficult to acquire rapidly. I want to paint the front sight blades either white or flare orange to help with this (I hope!). The reviews I saw on commercial sight paints varied widely. Can anyone recommend paint that will apply easily and last?
Testors model paints. WalMart carries them as well as any hobby shop. You can try all of the colors out for a little money and figure out which one suits your vision the best.

Ed
I have fiber optic front sights on several pistols and they do it for me and my old eyes.
Worth the investment
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Testors model paints. WalMart carries them as well as any hobby shop. You can try all of the colors out for a little money and figure out which one suits your vision the best.

Ed

I think that's what I use. Is that the stuff that comes in the pens? If so...it works really well. A black front sight against a black hog at dusk ain't worth a crap.
I don't see testors in pens, but what we call the pipe painting or marking paint sticks is what I see in pens, in welding and auto supply places.

It sticks pretty good too.
I believe the pens might be Dykem Brite Mark Markers. Amazon has then if you cannot find then locally. They are made for marking steel and stay put not wiping off unlike many sight paints being sold. I would start with black for the rear sight and a small white strip down the center of the front sight.
Posted By: SEdge Re: Sight Paintng Advice Needed - 05/28/15
The model paint in your color of choice (I like orange) mixed with some 5 minute epoxy works well and is quit durable.
Fluorescent colors on fingernail paints work well and last pretty good as well.

I used sight black aerosol and even had a sight black burner when I shot police combat competition. My eyes were much better back then, though. wink
Thanks to all for the response. Some good ideas advanced that will keep me away from the iffy sight paint sets I found when looking for a solution.
I use model paint (Tamiya, I think) and then throw some lacquer (or fingernail polish) on it to seal it. I've been using bright yellow or white on my handguns and rifles and so far so good...
Never had much luck with any paint including model paint. Never there when I expected it, would find it in the holster. Went with an old fashioned colored Plexiglas insert (OLD Brownell's kit) on My Kel-Tec P-11 in plain yellow. Picks up really well. Actually the insert isn't dovetailed in, it's a thin piece of the insert material eopxied to the sight but thick enough to pick up some light.
© 24hourcampfire