Home
Have I mentioned that I like Idaho? grin

Garden Valley School Dist. buys rifles, will warn visitors building is 'armed'.

GARDEN VALLEY, Idaho (KBOI) -- The Garden Valley School district is arming itself and a handful of staff members with guns in case of potential security threats moving forward.

According to the district's school board minutes, the district has purchased four rifles and 2,000 rounds of ammunition.

The district is also considering spending up to $2,000 to purchase extra magazine rounds and body armor vests, according to school board documents. Each rifle was purchased for $680.

"We just have to protect our kids and we didn't want to do it in a haphazard way," Marc Gee, Garden Valley School District superintendent, told KBOI 2News Friday.

School officials recently completed training with deputies from the Boise County Sheriff's Office this month. Signs will also be posted at both entrances at the K-12 school warning visitors that "our school is armed."

Gee told KBOI 2News that the Garden Valley community has welcomed the added security plans.

"It's been positive -- I have yet to have a community member come in and say 'why are you doing this?'" Gee said.

Garden Valley is about an hour's drive north of Boise via the Banks Lowman Road. It's set in a mountainous rural location with just over 200 students.

"(If something were to happen) we would have a 30-45 minute potential wait time for police to arrive," Gee said. "The loss of life would be just enormous."

Gee said the district worked with its legal counsel and the sheriff's office to put the plan in place.

"Obviously, we hope we never have to use them," he said.
Sad the world has come to this but good on them.
Awesome. I would love to move a few miles to the right also. Idaho is a cool place to visit.
Good for them! But the tinfoil crowd will be along soon I suspect.
It's about damn time common sense prevailed.
Sad that it is necessary, but good on them being pro-active. Not just wishing they had done something like this after the fact.
Garden Valley School Dist. Just got scratched off the cowards list.
Well I certainly hope the Garden Valley School District did not buy Ruger Mini-14 rifles. Everyone knows they are inaccurate and would be worthless for self defense in a closed environment such as a school room or hallway. wink

L.W.
Since this is Garden Valley we're talking about they probably got some .30-30 lever actions... wink

Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if they were AR's of some type.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Since this is Garden Valley we're talking about they probably got some .30-30 lever actions... wink ...

That's my best defense rifle/carbine.
I'd be curious if they bought them just 'cause they could or maybe they got some grant for "security equipment" and while the .gov grantees figured it would be spent for gates or cameras or something benign, the Garden Valley folks figured, "hey, why not get some guns?"

For you folks unfamiliar with the place, which I'm sure is most of you, Garden Valley is a little sort of spread out town sitting in a picturesque wide valley up in the mountains north of Boise. It's one of those places where truly, nothing ever happens. A co-worker has a weekend home up there and his biggest problem with vandalism this year is the herds of elk tearing up his lawn as they travel through. While it's always good to have your weapons close at hand, the school could probably ring a bell or sound an alarm and in about 5 minutes have 80% of the population show up with more armament than an Infantry company.

But still, in an age where kids eating Pop Tarts into pistol shapes are suspended and "guns on campus" are about as popular in most locales nationwide as Hillary would be at an NRA convention, it's pretty neat that a school district made a formal statement that not only are guns on school grounds not a bad thing, they are making a pro-active statement that they will not be passive victims.

Gotta love rural Idaho and rural Idahoans. smile
I was in the middle of flipping channels off of Channel 2 where they were making a federal case over having guns in the school. But in the flash as I hit the channel changer it looked like some AR's. Good for them. But they are going to catch some major grief from the local libs.

Channel 7 says they are getting support. Apparently the Sheriff suggested it. I like that.
Garden Valley is in Boise County.
Boise city is in Ada County.
Two completely different worlds.
I have lived in both, and will Take Boise County ten fold over the city of Boise which is avoided if possible.
2000 rounds?? Hope that's not their training allotment! If it is, maybe we can donate some more to them. Haha

This is an awesome story though. I bet a lot of libs across the country are completely melting down over this
Originally Posted by pira114
2000 rounds?? Hope that's not their training allotment! If it is, maybe we can donate some more to them. Haha

This is an awesome story though. I bet a lot of libs across the country are completely melting down over this

Exactly. Don't you know they have their tails in a knot? grin

Liberals are convinced that AR15's animate themselves and shoot people...

Idiots.
This has been in plans for a number of years. I am good family friends with some involved and was approached with a "what to do" inquiry about their security concerns. The suggestion was made, rather than just arming random faculty with no training, instead to have volunteers go through background checks and then get training along the lines of reserve sheriff's deputies.

That way not only would they understand legal standards, but understand exactly how LE will respond.

The idea was taken to the sheriff and while not entirely supportive, they finally did do mostly as requested.

Personally I am very glad to see this come to fruition after a long period of discussion.
There are two factions that carry guns now.

The lawful and the unlawful... OR the good, and the evil.

Liberals can't do a single thing about the evil that carry guns to do their bidding, so they restrict the good from protecting themselves and/or others against the evil.
Good to hear some backstory from Mackay and a good 2A story overall although most sound bites on the news will fall significantly short of providing the salient facts.

I believe they bought some sort of carbine (9mm?) which given their rural setting seems to be a good compromise IMHO.

Makes me proud to be an Idahoan!
Used to live and work out of Crouch and took my honeymoon on packsaddle creek. I can see why they did what they did. Crouch/Garden Valley has a lot of people who commute to Boise for work and tons of people on the weekends. It's just to close to Boise in my opinion to be blinded by the happinings of a big city.

Crouch /Idaho City and Horseshoe Bend, all in Boise County are subject to Boise and it's immigration of the not so cool croud.

Still rather have my old 6B plates than 1A or 2C. laugh
I'm sure the Feds will move in real soon to fix it for ya.
I wish all schools followed their actions. I hope they didn't buy green tip or the Obama Justice System and the ATF will be raiding and suing the school.
I wonder why they would advertise it?
Originally Posted by EdM

I was thinking the same thing, but I guess some people will do anything to get their names and photos in the Paper or News
These folks know about school security:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/12/30/armed-teachers-guards-key-to-school-security-in-israel/
Originally Posted by EdM

To ensure their elected positions - obviously.
Our local TV is Spokane.... There talking armed guards in Spokane schools so Idaho isn't the only one.

A sergeant with the Spokane Police Department will supervise up to 17 armed guards in Spokane’s schools, if an agreement between the city of Spokane and Spokane Public Schools is approved Monday by the City Council
In the words of Wayne LaPierre,
"It takes a good man with a gun to stop a bad man with a gun."

I'm glad that at least someone understands that concept.
Originally Posted by EdM

Why not advertise it? It seems that most mass shootings occur in gun-free zones, if someone wants to shoot a school they are unlikely to pick a school knowing that the faculty is armed.

drover

drover
Originally Posted by bea175
Originally Posted by EdM

I was thinking the same thing, but I guess some people will do anything to get their names and photos in the Paper or News

I doubt they had to advertise, or even wanted to.

School Board meetings are open to the public, and the minutes and actions of the School Board are a matter of public record.

More likely, the press was involved from the usual liberal, anti-gun point of view, and thought the exposure would kill the action being considered.

I'm glad it didn't.
Better late than never! School Board: smart decision
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by EdM

School Board meetings are open to the public, and the minutes and actions of the School Board are a matter of public record.

More likely, the press was involved from the usual liberal, anti-gun point of view, and thought the exposure would kill the action being considered.

I'm glad it didn't.

I won't swear to it, but I don't think they advertised it. I think it was more that the media caught wind of it. Local TV seem to be somewhat balanced or at least realize they are in a conservative state. smile. Newspaper is another deal with the shipped-in Cali editor (azzhat).
Finally a school board with some common senses...and balls!
Sounds like a mostly good idea. The signs are fuggin' stupid though.
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by EdM

I'm glad it didn't.

I won't swear to it, but I don't think they advertised it. I think it was more that the media caught wind of it. Local TV seem to be somewhat balanced or at least realize they are in a conservative state. smile. Newspaper is another deal with the shipped-in Cali editor (azzhat).

True. I haven't looked at Boise's Idaho Statesman newspaper's mast head for some time but it was/is owned by the Gannett Corp. Gannett has long, long been extremely anti-Second Amendment, typical hypocrites that they are.

The local teeeveee newscasters seem to be comparatively fair about the firearms debate.

L.W.
Originally Posted by pira114

I hope their dang heads explode.
Originally Posted by 700LH
Garden Valley is in Boise County.
Boise city is in Ada County.
Two completely different worlds.
I have lived in both, and will Take Boise County ten fold over the city of Boise which is avoided if possible.

+1........... Garden Valley is on my list of possibles in a few years. My son will be around 9-10 at that point, and news like this is very encouraging.
© 24hourcampfire