Home
Posted By: 4ager A tribute for one of our own - 06/02/15
Dave_in_WV has courageously let us know what happened to his son, Chad.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9966770/High_Brass

Chad was one of us (High_Brass), and he served his country honorably in the United States Marine Corps. I contacted Dave because I knew what happened to Chad. This post is made with Dave's blessing.

I want to think that the Campfire could and would do something in his honor and his memory. Folks around here have done a ton for other folks in need; could we do something to honor one of our own?

The official stats are that we lose 25 veterans per day to suicide from PTSD and other issues. That's more than one per hour. That's a rate on par with any conflict the U.S. military has ever been in. And yet, we do nothing about it.

Well, this tragedy has come "home" to the Campfire as we lost one of our own.

Can we pull together to do something to honor Chad? It's too late to help him, unfortunately, but perhaps we can do something to help the next vet.

If you all are willing, I'll work with Dave to find the right organization to receive the Campfire tribute and we'll figure out how to get it done.

We lose more than one per hour, every day. We've lost one of our own. Can we honor him in trying to take care of the rest and prevent this from happening again?

Dave's family had donations in lieu of flowers at the memorial service sent to the Wounded Warrior Project.

I set this GoFundMe page up to have all donations sent to the Wounded Warrior Project as well:

http://www.gofundme.com/w2kns4

Feel free to donate as you see fit, pass it along, share, etc.

Chad's gone but there are still so many more like him out there that need our help. In his honor and his memory, I hope the Campfire will do something good.
I hadn't opened that post because if my allergies. (Allergic to sadness).

I feel just horrible now, highbrass was a lot of fun to chat with in the keyboard world here. What a horrible loss, I will miss him.

Keeping my eye on this post to see what sort of plan develops.
I'm in.

Post an address...
I deal with ptsd on almost a dailey basis. One a family member from vietnam days, an air force guy, and a marine that just can't seem to reintegrate into civilian society. He keeps wanting to go back to the middle east.
It's extremely frustrating for me, double so for those dealing with it.
I had one of these guys sitting in my passenger seat of my truck one day as we were going through a fast food line and at the window he just about climbed over me to get to the food service worker because he was upset about the fries.
The marine guy swears he is going to quite drinking, he hasn't, and i do know he let a round off into the floor of his apt. His shrink visits through the v.a. are few and far between.
He has not been able to put a collar on that part of his life.
i don't know of anyone that is affected by PTSD, but it would be an honor to help. will be looking forward to seeing this effort develop.

May God bless you Dave, and your family,

keith
If I could write a poem it would be titled "The smile that hid so much pain".

The pic of us in our home with snow outside was the day he moved back from NC. One of our happiest days.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The day he moved back to West Virginia.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Training for the job he loved.
[Linked Image]
His last deer, Thanksgiving Day 2015
[img]http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o23/chk1953/last%20deer_zpsuinkmaxa.jpg[/img]
I have lost a son too, due to breast cancer. Just about every year i go up to where we hunted a lot, to listen to the wind.
I think it's kind of an empty spot, like loosing an arm. Time softens the hurt, but it doesn't take it away.
One way of looking at it i guess, is the good Lord takes them home early, rather than having to spend many years fighting the issues here.
Please count me in.

Regards,
Jason

I can imagine a parent losing a young son or daughter having lost a 27 y/o brother in Nepal in '83 and watching my folks go through hell on earth for awhile. These wounds do heal but there are scars forever.

My best to the family and these efforts.
High Brass shooting the 22 match at my house (he won) w/ Ras & Odessa

[Linked Image]

RAS shooting , High Brass observing

[Linked Image]

High Brass inspecting one of RAS's Savage 99s

[Linked Image]

I have $50 I can chip in , let me know where to send it.

Mike
Posted By: 4ager Re: A tribute for one of our own - 06/02/15
Fellas, thank you.

We're gonna run this through about Veteran's Day to make sure that we do this right. I'm talking with Dave right now about organizations to best reflect Chad and to best serve the vets that desperately need help.

Once that gets square, I'll make sure that there is a secure donation option set up for folks to do what they feel is best and that the funds will ONLY go to where they will honor Chad and in his name.
Sean, thanks so much for jumping on this. I can't tell you how much I appreciated your help with my Nephew Pete. He was able to use some of the contacts you mentioned, and is coping much better now.

I'm in, for whatever plan y'all come up with
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Sean, thanks so much for jumping on this. I can't tell you how much I appreciated your help with my Nephew Pete. He was able to use some of the contacts you mentioned, and is coping much better now.

I'm in, for whatever plan y'all come up with

Best news I've had in a while. I was thinking about him a lot when news of this broke.
All in here. Horrible news to lose a vet and worse to lose one with connections here.
I'm in Sean... just post the info when it comes together.
I'm in 4,

I know how I feel right now, I can't imagine how Dave feels. God Bless you and your family Dave.
You are a good man 4. I'm in.
I'm in for whatever gets decided, keep us posted on what is decided. Might as well post the info on the forum so that all can see and your inbox don't fill up.

Dave, Blessings to you...
Dave's family had donations in lieu of flowers at the memorial service sent to the Wounded Warrior Project.

I set this GoFundMe page up to have all donations sent to the Wounded Warrior Project as well:

Feel free to donate as you see fit, pass it along, share, etc.

Chad's gone but there are still so many more like him out there that need our help. In his honor and his memory, I hope the Campfire will do something good.

Thanks Sean.
Nice work 4ager......I'm all in.
Check link on the first post and below.

Y'all do whatever you think is right, donate, share, pass along, whatever.
I am in Sean, and did what I could.
Keeping this at the top.
Thanks Sean. I shared on FB and will donate as well.
Tom
Thanks, all.

To those on FaceBook, feel free to share. In fact, please do so.
Not on facebook but made my wife share on her's.
Sean: Count me in as well, only not with the Wounded Warrior Program. j
Just donated. Thank you for setting this up.
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Sean: Count me in as well, only not with the Wounded Warrior Program. j

It was the family choice, Jorge.
The family of wilkeshunter will contribute. Continued prayers from N.C.
shared on my Facebook page too. Hopefully, this will take on a life of its own and will grow and spread fully all over the country.

Well done, all. Well done.
I will see what I can do to help this along.
Well done, Sir.

Bump.
This maybe none of my business, and I mean no disrespect here,

didn't I read that Chad died from a fall, from injury's to the head?

Kenneth,

Yes, and no.

From what I understand, he had pretty severe PTSD from Kosovo. That set off or caused a bipolar disorder. He kept trying to get help, but was too far down the priority list. A serious fall resulted in a head injury, personality shift from that (tied to the two disorders), and he just couldn't cope any longer.

This story repeats itself too many damned times.
My codolences to Dave and his family. Hopefully my donation will make a difference. God speed and God bless.
Sean you are doing a good thing here. I'm in on whatever you come up with on top of the Wounded Warrior Project as well.

May Chad rest in peace and and may God comfort Dave and those he left behind.
I saw this after the decision was made to give it to Wounded Warrior Project.

This organization uses fly fishing and fly-tying as an intro to their project, but they also do hunting trips, and other activities. Their primary focus is on the Wounded Warrior, particularly those with the same issues that HighBrass had.

Project Healing Waters

I have volunteered on one trip with these folks and it just doesn't get any better.

If anyone out there knows of a service member who suffers from PTSD, TBI, loss of a limb, or other combat related injury and is hurting, give these folks a shout. They will go find that service member and offer their assistance. They are GREAT folks!

Ed
Ed, Jorge, and Marc,

I appreciate what you've said and what you mean. The Wounded Warrior Project is the charity chosen by Dave and his family to honor their fallen son, Chad. Please, respect that and I know you all will do so.

There will be a time and place for discussion of other charities and great opportunities to do something to support those that we owe so much to and that need our help. I want to have that conversation here and I think it will be of a great benefit. There are many out there doing good work and so many more that need the help. We can, and we should, do much more. Perhaps this is just the start?

Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
I saw this after the decision was made to give it to Wounded Warrior Project.

This organization uses fly fishing and fly-tying as an intro to their project, but they also do hunting trips, and other activities. Their primary focus is on the Wounded Warrior, particularly those with the same issues that HighBrass had.

Project Healing Waters

I have volunteered on one trip with these folks and it just doesn't get any better.

If anyone out there knows of a service member who suffers from PTSD, TBI, loss of a limb, or other combat related injury and is hurting, give these folks a shout. They will go find that service member and offer their assistance. They are GREAT folks!

Ed

husband of a cousin of mine does something similar here in MT.....actually he just started it within the last couple years...

as others have said, good on you for doing this Sean
If I may ask a favor: don't thank me for doing this.

Please, thank Dave for sharing his son with us, for sharing with us his loss, and for his family being open to turning that loss into something that might help the next Chad.

All I did was figure out the means to accomplish something they wanted to do.

The thanks and praise are due to Chad, to Dave, and to that family. I'd ask that they were properly directed, if you don't mind.
Originally Posted by 4ager
Ed, Jorge, and Marc,
I appreciate what you've said and what you mean. The Wounded Warrior Project is the charity chosen by Dave and his family to honor their fallen son, Chad. Please, respect that and I know you all will do so.

There will be a time and place for discussion of other charities and great opportunities to do something to support those that we owe so much to and that need our help. I want to have that conversation here and I think it will be of a great benefit. There are many out there doing good work and so many more that need the help. We can, and we should, do much more. Perhaps this is just the start?

I agree. I wasn't trying to hijack anything away from the family's wishes. I was hoping that, if folk were reading this, and knew of another vet with these issues, we could be helping a living vet, not mourning or celebrating the life of a loved one who has suffered.

You have the right focus, and I will follow the family's wishes.

Ed
Belinda and I are awestruck with the response. We had a check that was from three family members and I put it to them in their names. Thanks to all and especially to Sean "4ager" for setting this up.
Up.
Posted By: 4ager Re: A tribute for one of our own - 06/03/15
Les contributed last night and posted it on FaceBook; his words: "damn... Of all the good folks..."
Posted By: 4ager Re: A tribute for one of our own - 06/03/15
ttt.
Semper Fi
22 good folks have made donations in Chad's honor so far.... I sometimes get a bit burned out with the tone of some Campfire posts over the past few years... Campfire events like this remind me that lots of very fine people still hang out around the Campfire.

Dave I greatly admire your willingness to make public the events leading up to your son's tragic death. I am a therapist and have worked in a residential treatment program for people who have suffered head injuries. It is astonishing to see how someone suffering from TBI can "Look just like they always did.." but have greatly reduced abilities both thinking clearly and often especially in their ability to deal with any sort of strong emotions.

My Prayers will continue for you and your family
I think this post should be a sticky.
Yes it should.
I agree, as I damn near missed it having been outa town.

good stuff gents, God bless our vets, but we can help in that endeavor

thanks indeed for Dave raising a son so well that he felt the call to serve his country

and thank you Chad for your service, RIP fallen warrior

27 people have donated $2010.00 in one day.... very nice.
Originally Posted by 2ndwind

27 people have donated $2010.00 in one day.... very nice.

Great news!
This needs a bump to the top...
28 people and $2085 so far smile
Posted By: 4ager Re: A tribute for one of our own - 06/04/15
A sticky would help, but y'all are doing it without it.
Wife told me several people have shared the post from her facebook as of this morning so the reach is growing.
diamondjim just offered this up.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ber/9976578/gonew/1/Donation_time#UNREAD
OUTSTANDING!
Our gratitude and tears of appreciation is all we can offer. Thank you so very much. Dave
Originally Posted by 6mm250
High Brass shooting the 22 match at my house (he won) w/ Ras & Odessa

[Linked Image]

RAS shooting , High Brass observing

[Linked Image]

High Brass inspecting one of RAS's Savage 99s

[Linked Image]

I have $50 I can chip in , let me know where to send it.

Mike

Please count me in for $50 as well. PM me the particulars and I'll head it that way. Thanks for getting this going. What a sad thing to happen.
davidlea,

Go through the go fund me link in the first post on the thread.
up

Mike
I set this GoFundMe page up to have all donations sent to the Wounded Warrior Project as well

Done... Prayers lifted up for the family... No words...
To the top for the night.
TTT
Dave, hope you and your family are doing well.
Chad is in Jesus' arms and is holding us up. We are managing to get through each day knowing Chad no longer hurts. Thanks you.
Posted By: jds44 Re: A tribute for one of our own - 06/05/15
Didn't read the whole thread so don't know if it was previously mentioned, but Mission 22 was founded by veterans to help combat veteran suicide and to help them deal with TBI and PTSD. It would be a worthy place to donate in Chad's name.

Mission 22

Elder Heart
Posted By: 4ager Re: A tribute for one of our own - 06/05/15
Originally Posted by jds44
Didn't read the whole thread so don't know if it was previously mentioned, but Mission 22 was founded by veterans to help combat veteran suicide and to help them deal with TBI and PTSD. It would be a worthy place to donate in Chad's name.

Mission 22

Elder Heart

The family has chosen the Wounded Warrior Project. There are, no doubt, other great charities and there will be a time and place for them.

For now, please respect the wishes of the family.

Thus far, over $2500 has been raised by the Campfire with another $600 (at least) pending.
I would add that if for one reason or another someone does not want to donate to WWP but still wants to contribute to go ahead and make that donation in Chad's name to the charity of your choice.

This isn't here to debate the merits of said charities it is here to honor a Vet that left us too soon. Do what you all feel is right.
Posted By: 4ager Re: A tribute for one of our own - 06/05/15
Originally Posted by heavywalker
I would add that if for one reason or another someone does not want to donate to WWP but still wants to contribute to go ahead and make that donation in Chad's name.

This isn't hear to debate the merits of said charities it is here to honor a Vet that left us too soon. Do what you all feel is right.

Well said.
Thanks HW. Well said.
Wish I could have given more. It will never be enough. Scary f'in world we live in. Seems to be a huge lack of support for the people we send to combat.
Up for a morning view.

Godspeed Dave and family.
up

Mike
$2585.00 given by 38 good folks so far.... Fine business
Saturday night bump.
Donation submitted. Count me in for something here at the Fire as well.
This needs a bump....

it started off great, but one would think of something as important as this, and losing one of our own this way, more than 40 folks would have bellied up to the bar on this....

almost 20% was donated by one Forum Member who shows he really cares....

come on folks, lets show our support for Chad and our service vets...

even if it is only a small amount if that is all that one can afford...no shame in that...
Posted By: 4ager Re: A tribute for one of our own - 06/09/15
Bump.

Come on, fellas. This shouldn't stall out now.

BTW - diamondjim's rifle is still up for sale for this (as far as I know), along with the scope that RWE added to the package.
Posted By: RWE Re: A tribute for one of our own - 06/09/15
Bump.

Come on, fellas. This shouldn't stall out now.

BTW - Steelhead, wow. Oh, and diamondjim's rifle is still up for sale for this (as far as I know), along with the scope that RWE added to the package.

There's a scope, rings, ammo (from a couple sources), and case added, along with the shipping fees.

If I had a spare set of dies, I'd chunk those in too.
We lose more than one per hour, every day

Something's broke, in addition to our hearts
Good morning
My family is grateful to all. cool smile
I would like to donate a little something how do i get it done?
Originally Posted by tripleshock
I would like to donate a little something how do i get it done?

Go here and click 'Donate Now'

Thank you
Bump to the top and I have lost track of the .308 package auction... would someone please paste a link to it into this thread?
Posted By: ChasR Re: A tribute for one of our own - 06/11/15
Just donated. Not a real fan of WWP, but a forever fan of my fellow veterans and Campfire Members. Rest In Peace Warrior.
TTT
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
Bump to the top and I have lost track of the .308 package auction... would someone please paste a link to it into this thread?

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9976578/1

Mike
© 24hourcampfire