Home
Posted By: FlaRick Problem Guns - 06/11/15
When you conclude that a gun you have has problems, do you get it fixed, sell or trade it with full disclosure, or just keep quiet and let the buyer beware? I generally take the fix it route. I go with full disclosure if I am doing a private sale to a non-dealer. However, if I am trading with or selling to a commercial dealer, I let them examine the gun and make whatever offer they think is appropriate. How about you guys?
Posted By: eh76 Re: Problem Guns - 06/11/15
Like problem friends..if it ain't fixable..high maintenance goes down the road with full disclosure.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Problem Guns - 06/11/15
I never sell anything without full disclosed of what I know. I rarely sell anything that's broke but when I do all problems are disclosed, To do otherwise is dishonest.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Problem Guns - 06/11/15
I only ever had one that I got "less than full disclosure" on. I bought an 1899 chambered for 303 Savage only to find out in hang-fired and was splitting cases. I hit the gun shows for a solid year looking for the dealer who sold it to me. Of course, I never crossed paths with him. I sold it to another 99 loonie and he built something out of it. Unlike the unscrupulous dealer who stuck me with it, I told him what I knew, and made him assure me he wouldn't pass this on to someone else.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Problem Guns - 06/11/15
I sell them to Safariman with FULL DISCLOSURE, then wait to see what happens a year later....
Posted By: viking Re: Problem Guns - 06/11/15
Unscrupulous gun show dealers, you most be joking. Haha. The modern day snake oil salesman.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Problem Guns - 06/11/15
Down the road with full disclosure with a heavily discounted price reflective of my thoughts about the firearm. It would not matter if it is a commercial dealer or not.
Posted By: HilhamHawk Re: Problem Guns - 06/11/15
I don't have it in me to sell a knowingly broken gun. I either repair it, or part it out, selling the good parts and disposing of the bad ones.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Problem Guns - 06/11/15
Originally Posted by eh76
Like problem friends..if it ain't fixable..high maintenance goes down the road with full disclosure.

YEP!!
Posted By: Scott F Re: Problem Guns - 06/11/15
I have had only one rifle I could not get to shoot worth a darn. I tried everything and when I got it to group around three inches a a hundred I sold it to someone who wanted to kill coyotes at fifty yards. He knew how it shot and has fed it nothing but cheep factory rounds. He still loves it and we are still friends.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Problem Guns - 06/11/15
full disclosure or fix it. if you sell a gun that you know is defective without disclosing it, you are a scumbag.
Posted By: badger Re: Problem Guns - 06/11/15
Originally Posted by eh76

Hmm. I was wondering why I hadn't heard from you for a while laugh
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Problem Guns - 06/11/15
I believe in 'Buyer beware!' I move around a lot.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Problem Guns - 06/11/15
If it has problems, I'll try to get it fixed. If it can't be fixed, I just stick it in the back of the safe, accept it for what it is and keep it. I still have a Ruger Mini-30…stuck in the back of my safe.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Problem Guns - 06/11/15
Sell it to Steelhead with a nice GFY sticker on the stock. At least then he'd have a reason to be mad.
Posted By: Craigster Re: Problem Guns - 06/11/15
Originally Posted by rem141r
full disclosure or fix it. if you sell a gun that you know is defective without disclosing it, you are a scumbag.

I bought a rifle from a poster here that fits the quoted description to a T.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Problem Guns - 06/12/15
Full disclosure. I sold a Renata Gamba trap gun that ordinarily would be worth $2000. Except that the company had been out of business for 20 years and you could not get spare parts. The extractor would sometimes fall off when the barrel was taken off. I sold it for $500. Problem is that I shot better scores with it than with my more expensive new gun.
Posted By: FlaRick Re: Problem Guns - 06/12/15
I wish the guys who sold me my problem guns were as upright and honest as the folks responding here grin I have been the buyer who needed to beware too many times.

It annoys me when I have to work on gun that has an undisclosed problem, but it really pizzes me off when I have to pay a gunsmith to do it.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Problem Guns - 06/12/15
Don't buy junk to begin with!!
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Problem Guns - 06/12/15
I generally fix them. If I bought the gun, it's because I have an interest in the gun and I want it. So I'll fix whatever may be wrong so I can enjoy it. The only one I didn't fix was a Colt Peacemaker in .44-40 I once bought. In 28 rounds it broke 3 times. And it wouldn't accept Remington factory ammunition. There was just SO much wrong with that revolver, it should have NEVER left the factory. I was rather heartbroken, so I sold it to a gent who worked on nothing but peacemakers. That really sucked, it was a nice revolver.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Problem Guns - 06/12/15
I fix it myself
Posted By: mtnman1 Re: Problem Guns - 06/12/15
I quietly put it up in the classifieds, think of it like it were an annuity and pray a lot...
Posted By: Craigster Re: Problem Guns - 06/12/15
Originally Posted by mtnman1
I quietly put it up in the classifieds, think of it like it were an annuity and pray a lot...

Thanks for the heads up. Nice knives BTW, but I doubt I'll ever be a customer.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Problem Guns - 06/12/15
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Don't buy junk to begin with!!

Good advice. The two rifles I could not get to shoot were both Rugers. I would NEVER consider another Ruger rifle.
Posted By: WranglerJohn Re: Problem Guns - 06/13/15
Really? If the gun in question is that defective, that's why a Sawzall was invented. Some just need be cut up and sold as scrap.
Posted By: Scotty Re: Problem Guns - 06/13/15
I have heard people say use it as a trade in on a new gun. I have always thought sure I would get something out of it. But what of the guy that buys it and then he has the same problems that I had. Or if some kids buys it with his hard earned money and it with the problems be is discouraged and quits shooting.

I have had one bad gun and I still have it.
© 24hourcampfire