Home
Posted By: Fireball2 Fun toy score! AKA Money Pit - 06/14/15
And I blame Northern Dave!!! grin grin It's been stored at a friends house and each time I hunted up there I'd have to walk by it. I planted the seed I'd be interested in it if it came up for sale, about 4 years ago! smile Well, I got the call yesterday. Fella wanted it gone, for $550! heck yeah!!

It's been outdoors for at least 5 years. Tags are 11 years old. There was moss growing on it, dirt everywhere. The interior has a 1/2 dozen rust spots, nothing too bad, plus a little under the hood on the firewall. It was parked due to a cracked exhaust manifold, but was otherwise running and driving. It's an A/C car, and also a rare 74 260Z. All the carpets, headliner, and interior fabrics are out now, so a complete interior is needed. 100% original except tires, brakes, small maintenance items I'm sure. Going to start on it in my spare time, working around other projects. Looking forward to driving the old car.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z371/Weather223/001_zps3c6ee0b1.jpg[/img]
That's just weird, I was talking to the wife today about 240's and 260's.

Always liked them.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Fun toy score! AKA Money Pit - 06/14/15
Originally Posted by Fireball2
It's an A/C car, and also a rare 74 260Z. All the carpets, headliner, and interior fabrics are out now, so a complete interior is needed. 100% original except tires, brakes, small maintenance items I'm sure. Going to start on it in my spare time, working around other projects. Looking forward to driving the old car.

Ugh, Had a buddy in flight school in 87 who had a 240 and a 260. He wrenched on the 260 a lot but never could make it run like the 240. Good looking car though, Ferrari Daytona at a whole lot less money.
Probably needs a weber carb swap huh?
Posted By: Pugs Re: Fun toy score! AKA Money Pit - 06/14/15
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Probably needs a weber carb swap huh?

He had mentioned that as a possible cure (we're going back here) but he left to go to Miramar to fly Tomcats before I heard what he did.
Fireball2;
Good evening to you sir, hopefully this finds you well and congratulations on the old Datsun 260Z.

I recall that a buddy had one in our senior year in high school - but I recalled his being '76???? I looked it up and see that the 260Z was only available stateside in '74 but up here until '78.

Ours were 25hp more too, emissions compliance I suspect?

Anyway one night we ran our cars against each other - mine a '71 Pontiac T37 with a mildly worked over 283 in it - and from about 40mph rolling start his Datsun kept up surprisingly well.

It of course handled and stopped way, way better than my T37 and overall was fun car.

Anyway if you are so inclined I'd love to see photos of it as its completed. Good luck with your project and all the best to you this summer.

Dwayne
They are fun cars when running right.

The old boss's daughter had one and someone who didn't like her put one of those blue shop towels in the tank and it drove all of us in the shop crazy.

The body on that car does look good,hope you have fun.
Posted By: TomA Re: Fun toy score! AKA Money Pit - 06/14/15
Roy, hard to picture a gun rack full of 99's across the back window but a bear across the hood would be the cat's meow. Nice Tom.
FB, that is a nice-looking 260! My aunt had a 280Z that I drove around a fair bit in the mid 80's, when I was in town. Great cars, a lot of fun on the twistys.
Maybe a roof rack for the bears! laugh
Fireball,

That is a great looking car. Does not sound like it will be real hard to get it back on the road. You scored big time. I have always wanted an old Z car.

Dave
Posted By: DMc Re: Fun toy score! AKA Money Pit - 06/14/15
FUN! Had a 280Z with T-Tops. What a fine automobile until a lady decided to turn left across 4 lanes of traffic, from a far right lane....

DMc
Great color too. I've been thinking factory brown for mine when I get it going, no way I can drive a yellow Z.

Nice find. Good luck with it.

Excellent Fireball - enjoy it. I had one, and I did the carb swap - don't remember if I did a Holly or Weber, but it ran great after I did it.

Good luck and look forward to pictures.
Roy great grab! those cars used to move pretty quick, this one looks very nice have fun with your new project!
My mom drove a 72 240 when I was a kid. White with blk and white seats.

Seatbelts?
I sat in the back.
Originally Posted by plainsman456
They are fun cars when running right.

The old boss's daughter had one and someone who didn't like her put one of those blue shop towels in the tank and it drove all of us in the shop crazy.

The body on that car does look good,hope you have fun.

foam rubber ball plays havock in the tank as well frown crazy mad

norm
I've always thought those to be neat looking cars. Good luck w' the restoration.
IIRC the 260 really suffered from the new emissions equipment. Do you have to maintain that stuff or are you free to have the engine built to respond?
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Fireball2;
Good evening to you sir, hopefully this finds you well and congratulations on the old Datsun 260Z.

I recall that a buddy had one in our senior year in high school - but I recalled his being '76???? I looked it up and see that the 260Z was only available stateside in '74 but up here until '78.

Anyway one night we ran our cars against each other - mine a '71 Pontiac T37 with a mildly worked over 283 in it - and from about 40mph rolling start his Datsun kept up surprisingly well.

It of course handled and stopped way, way better than my T37 and overall was fun car.

Anyway if you are so inclined I'd love to see photos of it as its completed. Good luck with your project and all the best to you this summer.

Dwayne

Good morning,

The T-37 should have a 350 not a 283.

I had a 72 Pontiac Enduro which was a sleeper. Looked kind of like a GTO but without the badging.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Fun toy score! AKA Money Pit - 06/15/15
I just happen to catch on some car auction show yesterday a pristine 240z go for $23,000

My father-n-law had one that he gave to my sis-n-law as part of his will. Its sat for the last 5 years under a tarp. damn shame.
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Fireball2;

Dwayne

Dwayne,
This will necessarily be a long term project due to time and space constraints. Yesterday I ripped out the interior fabrics and vaccuumed out all the garbage to assess the rust. If I had half a brain I'd never start this, as I have too many undone projects as it is!

Youtube videos of V8 Datsuns aren't helping!!! grin
Posted By: KFWA Re: Fun toy score! AKA Money Pit - 06/15/15
I also watched a show recently on VEL channel where they rebuilt a Datsun - either the 280 or 260. You should look it up because they did a great job with it.

One thing that was amazing was it had an after market oil filter on it that used toilet paper. - and the way they talked it wasn't all that uncommon.

You'd just stick a roll of toilet paper in it every oil change. Of course they ripped it out and replaced it with a better setup but I'd never even heard of that before.
Congrats on the 260!

I had a 1975 280, that I bought new off the showroom floor.

FUN cars! But...when kids came along, it went down the road for a sedan with more room.

Virgil B.
Look what I found here in town.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-engines-and-...42125257?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
I bought a really used 280 Z once upon a time. That was a fun car to drive and gave me few problems. It had a tendency to rust in weird places though. Like the center of the roof. I sold it to a friend that was giving it to a niece. She wrecked it a short time afterwards. It is probably part of a toaster now or a bunch of coat hangers.
© 24hourcampfire