Home
Posted By: 6mm250 Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/23/15
Anybody use it ?

In the fuel tank or in the crankcase ?

I wonder what other uses it might have ?

Mike
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/23/15
I used it years ago in my old 71 Chevy carry all. In crankcase.
Posted By: poboy Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/23/15
I have been meaning to start this same thread as
I have a couple of cans that came from somewhere.

Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/23/15
Used to drop a bottle in the tank of my diesel.
Posted By: K_Salonek Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/23/15
It's about the only supplement/additive the FAA will recognize as beneficial to aircraft, crankcase.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/23/15
I have used it in the crankcase for years.
Posted By: model70man Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/23/15
Ernest Hemingway used it in his old Model 12 Winchester until the wood was completely soaked. An interesting story about that old Model 12. G&H had it for sale on the bargain rack for next to nothing and a guy bought it not knowing it's provenance. After he found out he was dumbfounded with the treasure he had found.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/23/15
Still use it in our diesel truck. 16 oz./40 gal of diesel fuel = happy injectors.

Ed
Posted By: guitarplayer Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/23/15
so you guys run it in the crankcase. . . just like that?

When I bought mine, the guy told me to add it to my crankcase and drive around for a few miles and then change my oil.

how much do you add ?
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/23/15
You can use it on your crankcase, but you might get some skin blotches from it.
Posted By: Autofive Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/23/15
Dont you have a quart on your night stand?
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/23/15
I've a car that I only drive in the summer, I pour a couple of spoonfuls down each spark plug hole after parking it for the winter months.

then add some to the gas tank.

the car is 30 years old, still has good compression and starts up just fine.

Course it only has 73K miles or so. But a sitting car takes abuses a moving car doesn't. Particularly engine and suspension parts.
have to feel like it's been beneficial to that ole gazzer.
Posted By: agazain Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/23/15
A.T.F.

The mechanic told me that's what MMO is.
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/23/15
I use it in air tools and as a light lubricant. Also as a cutting fluid if I can't find the Tap Magic.
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/23/15
Originally Posted by agazain
A.T.F.

There is NO such thing as "generic" ATF, ....and hasn't been for a long, long time.

Your mechanic is a hack.

GTC
Posted By: BullShooter Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/23/15
Originally Posted by agazain
A.T.F.

That's odd. MMO has been around since 1923: [color:#0000FF]Marvel Mystery Oil FAQ[/color]

Hydraulic auto transmissions were introduced in 1940 by Oldsmobile: [color:#0000FF]wikipedia-auto transmission[/color]

Marvel Mystery Oil is a useful and fragrant ingredient in Steve's Squeeze bore cleaner (a new & improved Ed's Red): https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/8778219/Re_The_best_bore_cleaner_you_e (See post by GaryVA on 04/15/14 12:04 AM)

--Bob
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/23/15
Always run a little in my lawnmower fuel tank on the last run before winter. Thing always starts and runs with just a couple of pulls in the spring.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/23/15
Marvel Mystery oil is worse than adding nothing according to a lubricity test for injector wear.

17)Marvel Mystery Oil
Gas, oil and Diesel fuel additive (NOT ULSD compliant, may damage 2007 and newer systems)
HFRR 678, 42 microns worse than baseline fuel.
320:1 ratio
10.4 oz/tank
$3.22/tank

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76...28-lubricity-additive-study-results.html

Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/23/15
Used it to lubricate air tools for years.

I used to add it to the fuel on older diesels, but don't know if it's compatible with newer emissions systems.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/23/15
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
I used to add it to the fuel on older diesels, but don't know if it's compatible with newer emissions systems.

It's not.

It'll [bleep] up a DPF.
Posted By: ihookem Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/23/15
It's a light oil. It doesn't do anything regular oil doesn't do. I tried about everything including Slick 50 and liquid platinum for better gas mileage. I dont see any use for it at all. Everything that needs to be in your oil is already in your oil. Putting it in your diesel tank won't hurt , but neither will cooking oil.
Posted By: Bama_Rick Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/23/15
I use it in air tools.

Dad is in his 70's and has used it all his life in just about everything. grin
Posted By: ironbender Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/23/15
There was a mech place in Fbks years ago that would substitute MMO for brake fluid in the winter.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/23/15
I keep a squirt bottle of it on the work bench. Use it like Kroil or any other all purpose penetrating oil.

Works good in air tools too.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/23/15
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick
IDad is in his 70's and has used it all his life in just about everything. grin

I hear it goes well with onions and bell peppers.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/23/15
When I lived in New England, bunch of old farmers use to use it in winter in their crankcases on their tractors... seemed to make it crank easier, or so they claimed....

never ever heard of any negative results from it....
Posted By: Lockhart Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/23/15
Instead of a squirt, I keep a punt on my bench. Use it as a general lubricant but I wouldn't put it in a crankcase down here in our sticky weather.
Posted By: EdM Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/23/15
I am told that it is a good replacement for KY as well.
Posted By: poboy Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/24/15
The mystery continues.
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/24/15
I don't believe MMO is ATF by any means. I have used it in my diesel fuel, probably should use it more often than I do.

I also use it as an ingredient when I make bore cleaner, along with GM Top Engine Cleaner, 28% ammonia and peroxide.
Posted By: SEdge Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/24/15
I use to put it in the dampers on side draft SU carburetors. They called for a light machine oil best as I can remember.
Posted By: tpcollins Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/24/15
When I use to winterized my I/O boat at the end of the year, with the engine running I would pour the Mystery oil down the carb. And when the engine almost would die I would turn the ignition off. The intent is to coat the cylinder walls. It's a bit smokey when you first start it in the spring!
Posted By: chesterpulley Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/24/15
Originally Posted by K_Salonek
It's about the only supplement/additive the FAA will recognize as beneficial to aircraft, crankcase.

Not true, MMO has never been approved for aircraft use by the FAA. The average inspector will sh*t himself if he sees a can anywhere near an airplane. That doesn't mean that guys running old timey flying machines aren't feeding them a steady diet of it though... wink
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/24/15
Originally Posted by poboy
The mystery continues.

Indeed, one can but marvel at the mystery of it all.

GTC
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/24/15
Originally Posted by chesterpulley
Originally Posted by K_Salonek

Not true, MMO has never been approved for aircraft use by the FAA. The average inspector will sh*t himself if he sees a can anywhere near an airplane. That doesn't mean that guys running old timey flying machines aren't feeding them a steady diet of it though... wink

Pay attention to this fella, people.

....KNOWS whereof he speaks.

Plays a mean Guitar, too.

Chester, when / where you and the big fella's next gig ?

GTC
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/24/15
from another forum

70% Light Aromatic Oil (Pale Oil)
- It is a Naphthenic Oil, so while it oxidizes faster than a Paraffinic oil, it does clean and dissolve sludge and carbon well and cleans up after itself from any oxidation. serves as base oil as well. [Naphthenic oils have more solvency and are more polar (they are attracted to metal more), but oxidize faster.

29% Mineral Spirits
- Cleans Varnish very well. General cleaner. Also acts as an antioxidant.

38 parts per million (ppm) Boron
- AW/EP agent, friction reducer, antioxidant

900 ppm Phosporous
- AW/EP agent

1/2% 1, 2 ortho-Dichlorobenzene
- EP agent as it interacts with Iron to form an Iron chloride barrier under any ZDDP or other AW additives. Also very good cleaner/solvent, and friction reducer

1/4% 1, 4 para-Dichlorobenzene
- EP agent as it interacts with Iron to form an Iron chloride barrier under any ZDDP or other AW additives. Also very good cleaner/solvent, and friction reducer

Oil of wintergreen - for the scent
- Not just for the cent, is also a cleaner. may aid lubricity.

Red Dye - for the color
- well this one just colors the stuff
Posted By: victoro Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/24/15
It smells real good and is supposed to loosen corroded parts. I removed the spark plugs from my '68 El Camino and squirted some MMO in each cylinder after it had set up for 10 years before I attempted to start it. It started right up but I don't know if the MMO really helped. I used to use MMO in my 2005 Dodge diesel truck by mixing 1 quart of MMO with 96 oz. of Power Service and adding an ounce of the mixture for each gallon of diesel every time I filled up until I found out it did more harm than good. Now I mix a gallon of 2-cycle TCW3 oil mixed with 112 oz. of Power Service and add .7 oz. of the mixture to each gallon of diesel when I fill up.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/24/15
Originally Posted by SEdge
I use to put it in the dampers on side draft SU carburetors. They called for a light machine oil best as I can remember.

it would work for that, although working with Volvos and MGs from back in the 60s and early 70s...SU Carbs called for ATF in the dash pots....

to get higher performance tho, 20W50 in them was used by a lot of guys...friend who raced an MGB showed me that.... tried it in my 68 Volvo wagon, and worked real wellin the mountains or high speed running in rural areas or on freeway.. not so much around town...
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/24/15
If I read all the above correctly, it would seem that Marvel Mystery Oil was once quite useful, but probably or definitely should not be used in modern, high-tech engines. Like so may other good products of yesteryear, its time may be past.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/24/15
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Marvel Mystery oil is worse than adding nothing according to a lubricity test for injector wear.

17)Marvel Mystery Oil
Gas, oil and Diesel fuel additive (NOT ULSD compliant, may damage 2007 and newer systems)
HFRR 678, 42 microns worse than baseline fuel.
320:1 ratio
10.4 oz/tank
$3.22/tank

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76...28-lubricity-additive-study-results.html

Thank you, sir! I will cease using it immediately!

Ed
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/24/15
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by SEdge

it would work for that, although working with Volvos and MGs from back in the 60s and early 70s...SU Carbs called for ATF in the dash pots....

to get higher performance tho, 20W50 in them was used by a lot of guys...friend who raced an MGB showed me that.... tried it in my 68 Volvo wagon, and worked real wellin the mountains or high speed running in rural areas or on freeway.. not so much around town...

That's interesting. Never really thought much about it but I can see where the higher viscosity might help with any throttle stall in the higher vacuum ranges.
I've always tried to stay in the 15-20 wt range on my skinners. ATF falls into that range nicely where as MMO runs abit lower than that on the scale.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/24/15
Worked at a store with a guy for 13+ years ,he bought a brand new for pick up in the mid 90's added m m oil at every change....3years later ....new motor time ..... guy ran the trk to work as a daily driver ,the bed was still NEW ! Count me out ....
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/24/15
Originally Posted by EdM
I am told that it is a good replacement for KY as well.
Yeah but you go "boing!" when you're at that old timey garage and you catch a whiff of that unique odor which can be embarrassing.

Used it as a substitute for kerosine in Ed's Red. Don't know if it adds anything but the mix works really well. And smells good. (No, I don't mean as in the first paragraph.)
Posted By: Hotload Re: Marvel Mystery Oil ? - 06/25/15
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Used it to lubricate air tools for years.

+1

I mostly use it for air tools. MMO makes a different oil for air tools but I never buy or use any thing special.
It also works great for tap and die jobs.
© 24hourcampfire