Home
I have been looking hard at UTVs. I would getting one mainly as a work machine for where I can't get a tractor or truck. I am willing to shell out the cash, but I want it to last many, many years. I probably won't put has many hours on annual basis as many.

This raises the question of diesel vs gas. I have no experience with diesel except a tractor my late father bought used more than 40 years ago. We do have a diesel tank on the farm. The diesel cost a little more up front. They don't have electric power steering. Not sure how much of a benefit that is anyway or if it's just one more thing that can brake. Feedback much appreciated.

I bought a Polaris ranger last year (2014 model ) and have enjoyed it. Wished I would have gotten on sooner.

Selling point for me on the ranger was the bench seat that 3 grown men can ride, comes in handy hunting. Towing and hauling is good on these also.

Mind doesn't have power steering, I see no use for it. Something electronic to tear up.

The fuel injection models are sensitive to voltage. The older models had an atv battery that would run down easy when using extra lights, etc and would kill the utv.

The newer models have a car battery, I put a hole in battery of mine and went to SAMs bought a AGM battery to replace it.

A friend has a diesel Kubota utv on his farm. Saying it's a POS is an understatement.
Interesting Bearcat, I thought Kubota was a pretty good brand as far as conventional tractors go not that that should make them a good utv maker I guess but you'd think they'd have figured it out better than what your friend experiences..
You won't regret buying a "good" UTV. I've had quads and bikes my whole life, got into a Ranger about 10-11 years ago and never looked back. Owned 5-6 since. I'll take a UTV over a quad ANY day of the week.

I see no use for a diesel UTV unless you want a rig that is heavier, slower, more expensive and more costly to repair. The only exception would be if you are using strictly it for a small tractor and nothing else.

I won't get into a brand war here but I just can't justify an oil burner and the baggage that comes with them.

Maybe he just got a lemon but if you go anywhere in it be prepared to wrench or walk. Top speed is about 30mph, if you get it over 20 mph for a short ways it starts overheating. It eats batteries like cookie monster in a chips-ahoy factory, and I think I could grab the rear hitch and it wouldn't pull me. The good things are it's loud, rides a little rougher than a covered wagon and sometimes it starts. His is an early model so the new ones may be better.

Their tractors seem to be very good.

A guy down the road that I haven't talked to has a Kubota UTV and he drives it up and down the road some so that automatically makes it better than my friends. His is newer.
I don't have a UTV so I can't talk on that. I do have a couple of ATV's, one with power steering and one without. My older one is a 2002 model honda rancher, the newer one is a 2010 rancher. The 2010 has power steering. When I was buying it I was going back and forth over whether or not to shell out the money for the PS, I finally decided to go for it. After owning it for 5 years I'll say power steering is the absolute best thing since sliced bread! I would never, ever, buy another ATV without it, it's almost life changing it's that good.

So my only point is that no matter what you end up getting, get something that has power steering. If you have to go to another brand then do it, just get the PS! It'll magnify your enjoyment of the machine 10X.
I use my 2009 Ranger for work and wish I had power steering. My next one will have it. I think the diesel in a Ranger would be a great work tool but the plastic UTV will fall apart around the motor. I'd do the gas motor again. It's been great an I can hit 50mph if I want/need to.
ditto on the kubota.
My friend has one.
No power.
too delicate.
hard to steer.
no speed.

As soon as I am able, i will get a polaris ranger.
Very interesting info. I, too, thought a Kubota would be a good unit, since their tractors get raves..
I like my mule 610. It is small and isn't fast but with an aftermarket rear seat in the bed and a winch it will go anywhere and carry 4 people.

I like the small size. It resides on my 350 acre farm and rarely leaves. Runs roads and fire breaks great.

Bought it last summer and have about 40 hours on it. I like the simplicity of it - not many bells and whistles to break

Power steering and diesel weren't options for me and I wouldn't have paid for them if they had been
Originally Posted by readonly
I have been looking hard at UTVs. I would getting one mainly as a work machine for where I can't get a tractor or truck. I am willing to shell out the cash, but I want it to last many, many years. I probably won't put has many hours on annual basis as many.

This raises the question of diesel vs gas. I have no experience with diesel except a tractor my late father bought used more than 40 years ago. We do have a diesel tank on the farm. The diesel cost a little more up front. They don't have electric power steering. Not sure how much of a benefit that is anyway or if it's just one more thing that can brake. Feedback much appreciated.

If you're gonna use it hard and want it to last, find a good used Rhino.There are bigger, and fancier machines, but not tougher.
I don't use a UTV, but did look at them a bit when I was shopping for my last ATV. You mentioned it would be used in places you couldn't get to with your tractor or truck....with that in mind, make size a consideration when you're shopping. A lot of the UTV's out there are BIG...really BIG. So big that they may not fit somewhere a tractor wouldn't. Honda's Pioneer in the 500 size is a bit more compact, but it has a back rack rather than a bed.

I'd look more at the size and options you want for how you'll use it and narrow your choices down, then consider gas vs diesel if it still makes any difference to you.
Honda fan here. Bought a Big Red in '09 and it was so reliable it was boring. Sold it in March to a fellow hunt club member and bought a Pioneer 700. Very happy with it so far too. I think diesel in a UTV is impractical, unless fuel economy is that important to you. Even then, the downsides (Frequent fuel filter changes, more noise and smell, heavier, etc) far outweigh any advantage a diesel may have for this type of vehicle.

Old and new a few weeks ago setting coyote traps.

[Linked Image]

I've owned a bunch of Honda atvs and have had similar results. We haven't had much abusive experience with the utvs, but would expect similar results. They definitely ride good and have the power.
Originally Posted by Redneck
Very interesting info. I, too, thought a Kubota would be a good unit, since their tractors get raves..

Kubota should probably stick to building tractors........

I use my SxS (UTV) for rec use...not farm use...'09 Rhino...

700 FI...Good solid & dependable machine..will climb a tree...

Your use sounds more utilty..never owned a Polaris.....I would look

at Honda as shown in link...or maybe consider an older Toyota P/U

some full size UTV's are just as big as 'Taco trucks & cost more

http://powersports.honda.com/2016/pioneer-700-4.aspx
I too have a Honda Pioneer 700, but mine's the 4 seater model. Don't have a whole lot of time on it, but I do like it. It's not as fast as my BILs Ranger, but will cruise at 35-40 pretty easily. I like that it has a car-like transmission instead of a belt.

We had narrowed it down to the Honda and a Kawasaki Mule 6 seater. We opted for the Honda because: 1. it was cheaper, 2. it was much smaller (ie turning radius) and 3. transmission vs. belt.
Buy a Suzuki Samurai, pull the rear seat and half-cab it. Bed is nearly the same size as a UTV, street legal, excellent off road,, comfortable to ride it, and they look awesome. Sami's are fairly cheap, mine was $1800.

I hope to half-cab mine soon.

Link to half-cab build: http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content?topic=86137.0
Power steering was invented for front lockers.
I spend a LOT of time in UTVs hunting every year. My hunting buddy has had Polaris rangers mostly. I upgraded his suspension and we stick a big dog box on the back with 4 dogs and go hundreds of miles lion hunting. I wouldn't own a UTV without power steering any more than I would own a pickup without it.

I have ridden in several of the diesel Kubotas (Ed has one in fact). They are fine on the farm but won't cut it for hunting-too slow, too heavy, too stinky, too expensive.

I would NEVER own a Ranger crew either- they are totally useless in the places I go. They are for riding around on roads that you can take your pickup on- the wheelbase is too long and they get hung up real easy. I have pulled more than one out that was hung up in the rocks.

I like the little mini pickups about as well as anything, they are cheap, have a heater, have a cab and can both fast and slow. The Daihatsu/ Suzuki trucks are far better than a diesel Kubota for most things.
if you only need to run 35mph,the honda is ok. not great ,just ok.

don't know why anyone would even want a stinking diesel to ride around in. they do not get much better mileage. they are slow and heavy. i'd buy the ranger or mule.
I am willing to shell out the cash, but I want it to last many, many years.

That rules out Polaris.
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

A friend has a diesel Kubota utv on his farm. Saying it's a POS is an understatement.

This is shared by others who own Klubotas. I bought a Polaris 900 Ranger and can recommend it without reservation. All the power and speed you would want, plus it's easy to ride in and will haul as much as you could want.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I am willing to shell out the cash, but I want it to last many, many years.

That rules out Polaris.

+1...........funny.........Yamaha or 'Yota........

One of these..........heater..A/C...rear diff lock...

22 mpg.....almost goes where a SxS goes......

[Linked Image]
Just bought the 570 ranger. The factory rebate covered the power steering and winch install (through end of month). So far it is a good machine. Went with the full size one to get the big bench seat.

My grand daughter love it. The power steering is a real nice feature - glad I went with it after trying one without ps.

2006 Yamaha Rhino. No issues.

'09 700 Rhino..........boolit proof......... grin

[Linked Image]
What's the payload on a Rhino? 400 lbs last I looked. No thanks.
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

This is shared by others who own Klubotas. I bought a Polaris 900 Ranger and can recommend it without reservation. All the power and speed you would want, plus it's easy to ride in and will haul as much as you could want.

Not by me! Ours is now 10 years old and other than fluids, filters, and one temp sending unit right after we bought it, we've done nothing to it.
Is it slower than the gas models? Yes. Is it heavier? Yes. Does it sip fuel? YES! Will it climb up a 30% incline fully loaded? YES!

Power? I have repeatedly put 1/2 cord of split green oak in the bed and towed a small trailer with another cord in it out of the woods and over to my neighbors house several times this year without any problems or ability to accelerate. I have towed my 18'x8' pipe-top utility trailer with a single round bale of coastal around the ranch without problems, either. The trailer weighs 1,000 lb all by itself.

Those guys who are having power problems should be talking to their Kubota dealers.

Ed

Originally Posted by Higbean

Dunno, but the Pioneer is 1000lb and 1500lb tow capacity.
Electric power steering is worth it's weight on any technical terrain. In western Colorado I use an ATV because of the number of 48" wide only trails that I frequent, it rules out a UTV. For a flatland farm that would be different.
I have a 2000 gator 4X6, it is strong, hauls and dumps alot of weight, and I use it to push snow with a heavy 72 inch plow,,, the Yanmar diesel is a pain to crank when it is really cold, like 20 degrees cold. very good on fuel use. I wish the front wheels had drive power.

I bought it for $800 with a seized up motor,, idiots ran it hot and fried the pistons and head. Found an imported yanmar with a little more juice for $1,000 and have less than $2,000 in the whole setup
Two years ago I was looking for the same type of vehicle. However, since I'm in Texas and the terrain is not what you would find in Colorado or Utah mountains, I went with a used F150 supercab 4x4. It has a heater (keeps me warm and dry in winter), a/c (keeps me cool in the summer), is street legal can park it at office and drive to and from ranch in it (don't have to leave it in the country and have rats and field mice mess with it), wife or I have car trouble I have a back up vehicle, great for kids scout campouts and best of all it was cheaper than a UTV. Need I go on.
... I would getting one mainly as a work machine for where I can't get a tractor or truck. ....

Oh yeah, just get a truck....
Well, I have a06 660 Rhino and love it. If I was going to buy again it would be a Suzuki Samurai as they climb just as well but are a lot quieter.
well the polaris haters are out again. they have no clue. most of us that ride together got rid of hondas and have been riding polaris for the last 4-5 years.

hondas were the worst machines we've owned. out of 10 or so owners they've all gotten rid of them.motors,transmissions,elecrtical,you name it we had problems.

400# is alot gear that a machine can haul..if you can't fit it...

your buddy in the group will have on his machine....whether you're

hauling 1/2 mature bull elk....or coolers of beer for the weekend...

this was my '07 Rhino.......also a bullet proof machine..

[Linked Image]

we use 'em out here.......

[Linked Image]

room on the front too......... grin

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
I like my mule 610. It is small and isn't fast but with an aftermarket rear seat in the bed and a winch it will go anywhere and carry 4 people.

I like the small size. It resides on my 350 acre farm and rarely leaves. Runs roads and fire breaks great.

Bought it last summer and have about 40 hours on it. I like the simplicity of it - not many bells and whistles to break

Power steering and diesel weren't options for me and I wouldn't have paid for them if they had been

Ditto all. I love my Mule.

Can't speak to the diesel option, but years ago when I was looking at boats and the diesel version was $20k more, my buddy looked at me and said "for twenty thousand dollars you can buy a lot of gas."
Tikkanut, you are posting pictures of playing when the op is talking about work. I've got zero issues with your Rhino, but it's not suited for the work part of things in my book.

[Linked Image]
I've got an 09 Rhino 700 and it's a helluva machine but if I were buying a workhorse machine, it would be the Honda Pioneer 700.
Tikkanut, you are posting pictures of playing when the op is talking about work. I've got zero issues with your Rhino, but it's not suited for the work part of things in my book.

[Linked Image]

And like offshore boats, I have absolutely no problem with Polaris, as long as it is my friends. They ride good, have a lot of horse power and are high maintenance. We have a lot of them at work too, both Fire and Police service. The key though, is we (as individuals) don't have to pay for the constant repairs.

My 'Yota truck covers my farm 'work' part...

Or my Kioti CK35.....
I gotta agree with the Toy 4x4 too. There ain't much most UTVs can do that they can't do better...with AC/Heat and an enclosed cab.

Originally Posted by srwshooter
well the polaris haters are out again. they have no clue. most of us that ride together got rid of hondas and have been riding polaris for the last 4-5 years.

hondas were the worst machines we've owned. out of 10 or so owners they've all gotten rid of them.motors,transmissions,elecrtical,you name it we had problems.

I guess someone out there has had to have had a non-typical experience, but yours doesn't seem to be the norm.
Tff...I'm not a Polaris "hater", they're good for what they're good for. It's just that dependability is not one of their qualities.
Originally Posted by srwshooter

Tff!! 10 bad Hondas all owened by the same group and they all switched to Polaris? That's crazy talk man, just crazy talk! lol
Right? That reminds me of a certain politician's followers.
Didn't read all the posts. I have a Kubota. I don't drive it on the highway. It pulls my tractor out of the mud and I love the tilt bed. I replaced the battery and fuel gauge. Mine has power steering, so it steers easy.
if I were buying one I would go with a ranger, used several of the Kubotas. overheating, low power, loud and expensive to maintain machines. can't pull more than a red wagon with em and they overheat and groan to move it.
I bought a 2014 Yamaha Viking and so far its much better than the Polaris Ranger my dad has.
Down here, boyz tear up atvs/utvs for fun. Polaris's are very popular because of there power and ability to modify. They are also the most likely to take home in pieces. It really just depends on what you need and enjoy. My buddies like putting them back together. I don't.

A couple of ranchers I know around here have been using Kubotas for at least six or seven years. I have never heard them complain, nor have I heard that they had problems with overheating or lack of power--and we have some pretty rough country and an abundance of hot weather around here. However, ranchers don't use them like the "cowboys" in the Polaris commercials.

The first time I rode in one, my friend Bill took me out to the back side of a dam on a dry tank (pond). It was pretty steep. He put the Kubota in "forward," took his foot off of the accelerator pedal and we motored up that steep dam as the engine idled and eased down the other side. It was pretty impressive.

The other guy (coincidentally also named Bill) has a fancier version with a full cab and A/C. He uses it everyday in rough, rocky country to check water and check his cattle. He has had it for about four years now and says that it has just about eliminated the money that he used to spend for repairs and maintenance on his ranch truck.

I also know an outfitter in Colorado that uses them to distribute his hunting camps at road ends in the White River National Forest. He also says that wear and tear on his pickups has declined dramatically since he started using them.

YMMV.
For the OP I can only vouch for Ed's Diesel Kubota, that it seems a capable vehicle. Not fast, but will pull a heavy load without difficulty. John Deere also has diesel models available:

http://www.deere.com/en_US/products...rossover_utility_vehicles/855d/855d.page

Deere also has gas models with quoted top speeds over 50 mph smile

If I get one of these things, I'd be tempted to get the Honda Pioneer 500, which is only 50 inches wide and will fit in a 8' full size pickup bed (with the tailgate down).

When UTV's first came out I said, chit you can buy a good street legal Jeep or pickup for that much. But most of the UTV's I've seen are smaller and shorter than even Jeeps and small pickups, and will presumably fit into tighter, rougher places than larger vehicles. And small Jeeps and small pickups set up for serious off-road use, lifted with low gears and big tires, aren't so hot to drive on the highway for any distance, so you'd wind up trailering them just like the UTV. My off-roading usually begins after I first drive 300 miles on the interstate, and a Samurai would suck at that smile

I think you just gotta look at your individual desires and pick something that will work for you, most of the time, because none of them are going be the best at everything.

Good assessment, Patrick. Like boats, they are all a compromise. You really gotta sit down and decide exactly what you need (not want) out of one to be happy with it.
5 out of 5 of us were riding Yamaha Grizzlies last Wednesday(moving cows).

I think they were all 700's.

First time ever the throttle cable stuck on mine(left turn). Did it about 6-7 times that day. Either hit the brakes hard or gun it and it comes back down.

Right before the gate we hit a sharp creek crossing(dry) and a bunch of calves wouldn't cross so we got off and spooked them a little.

One calf boogies off so my buddy jumped on my wheeler and brought it back. He gets off and I ask him if the throttle stuck.

He said , yeah what the fuuck is up with that?!

(a Tacoma might have kept up for the first 2 minutes)
I was hauling ass in my Rhino last weekend, trying to outrun a thunderstorm, when I heard a loud "whack", like I'd thrown a rock out of a tire. A cloud of smoke came from under the cowling and I coasted to a stop. After checking everything to make sure there weren't any leaks, or anything on fire, I rode rode it for two more days without a hitch. I suspect I threw a tooth off the belt after 10 miles at wide open. I keep two extra belts under the seat and it takes about thirty minutes to change. Ain't none of them perfect.
Belt totally blew on a 2013 Viking that same day.

Unplanned walking sucks.....grin
Not much storage for tools and extras under the seat of that one, huh?
Fence stretcher, pliers, water bottles, tarp straps, lunch, there's a little tool kit under the seat.

Old saddle blanket across the rear rack for the dog.

Heated grips would be nice.....

And a diesel ATV/UTV/SXS/SUV...is about as good an idea as a diesel chainsaw.
I spend a LOT of time sitting in them and driving them. Had an 08 Rhino and it was a POS compared to the Rangers. The Rhinos were real prone to tipping over and Yamaha paid out a LOT of millions in lawsuits over people's legs getting run over. Now they have doors!

I was never a Polaris fan but I have used them hard and only once been left stranded- fuel tank on a 10-year-old quad cracked and leaked out gas- causing to run out 20 miles from my truck.

To those that think that a toyota pickup is a replacement for a Ranger- come to Arizona and drive where we go. I have been in Toyotas and Samarais. The Samy is far better than the Yota in getting into bad places- problem is that you have to go slow in the Samy and yota and you can go four times as fast in the Ranger.

For farm work and such I think the Kubota is fine. I don't know about the maintenance issues but they won't work for the kind of riding that I do getting into my bear spots. I also think the Ranger is much better for lion hunting- dog on top to strike and you can see and hear better with the open Ranger than the pickup with the heater on. I went around a lot of stuck 4x4 pickups lion hunting this year. The best rig I saw, however, was a Tacoma with a lift and a flat bed on it. Had a built in dog box and was set up right.

I have never ridden in the Honda,Can-am nor Artic cat. I have driven the Gator and the Kubota. Both to me are very utility oriented and not much benefit over a pickup for most stuff.

The mini trucks are really handy and far cheaper than a $20,000 Kubota. They run them on a large ranch I hunt and they are pretty impressive for ranch work.
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

Not by me! Ours is now 10 years old and other than fluids, filters, and one temp sending unit right after we bought it, we've done nothing to it.
Is it slower than the gas models? Yes. Is it heavier? Yes. Does it sip fuel? YES! Will it climb up a 30% incline fully loaded? YES!

Power? I have repeatedly put 1/2 cord of split green oak in the bed and towed a small trailer with another cord in it out of the woods and over to my neighbors house several times this year without any problems or ability to accelerate. I have towed my 18'x8' pipe-top utility trailer with a single round bale of coastal around the ranch without problems, either. The trailer weighs 1,000 lb all by itself.

Those guys who are having power problems should be talking to their Kubota dealers.

Ed

Same here,My 2006 Kubota RTV 900 has been a great machine and workhorse..I have over 700 hours on the OD changed the oil and put new tires on it.If your looking for a barn burning racer kubota is not it.If your looking for a true workhorse around the farm kubota is it..
Originally Posted by pointer
I too have a Honda Pioneer 700, but mine's the 4 seater model. Don't have a whole lot of time on it, but I do like it. It's not as fast as my BILs Ranger, but will cruise at 35-40 pretty easily. I like that it has a car-like transmission instead of a belt.

We had narrowed it down to the Honda and a Kawasaki Mule 6 seater. We opted for the Honda because: 1. it was cheaper, 2. it was much smaller (ie turning radius) and 3. transmission vs. belt.

This is an old thread but your post really nailed it for me. Any long term update?
My Polaris is 8 years old, not a bit of trouble with it.
Never owned a diesel UTV, but own 5 diesel tractors, a dozer, diesel generator, truck and motorhome. So I like diesels.

That said I would not want one in a UTV. I bought a Honda Big Red years ago and have not had one issue with it. I like the fact that it has no belt. If I were in the market for a new machine, it would be another Honda.
We use three Polaris on the farm everyday. No complaints. The big motor ranger does pull stuff like a drag or the weed roller alot easier than the 400.
IMHO, the Rangers are fine until you really thrash on them. I have seen them take some pretty good abuse and it's not like they break down all the time.

I don't get very wild in our 900XP Ranger, have a 4-wheeler for true off-roading.

But I KNOW the old guys love the SXS's for bouncing around.....grin

Heaters, semi-quiet cab, 60-65mph down the highway.

When it's 20 degrees with snow/rain they beat the hell outta sittin' on a horse!

I had this Ranger 500, a 2005 model, for 12 years before it got burned to the ground in a camp fire. It was certainly not a hot rod, but it darn sure was bulletproof. No telling how much game we hauled out of the back country with it. I've got another one just like it now, a 2006 version.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I have a Kubota RTV900 that I bought new in 08. It has served me well. It has 600 hrs on the diesel as of now. It is more of a utility machine than the Ranger. If you need to travel long distances it will get you there but much slower than the gas driven side by sides. It is mighty tough though it just keeps rolling along. It has never had any breakdowns or need to go into the shop. And it sips fuel.
I waited 18 years until Honda came out with the Pioneer line. Good decision on my part. Bought the Pioneer 700 and have no regrets. You definitely want power steering.
I have a pioneer 1000 for the past three years. No complaints
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Right? That reminds me of a certain politician's followers.

LMAO! You need to wake up and smell the roses.

AND, I've owned Polaris Rangers (2) for 15 years. Sold the 2004 2 years ago when I bought the 2017 570. There are no maintenance issues if you use one like an adult.

MAGA!

Edited to add that power steering is not needed.
Honda Pioneer 700-4 deluxe owner here.....love it.

It's funny....they all seem to have problems when you jack them up, put bigger tires than they should have on them. Run all kinds of electrical gadgets the battery can't support, diy stuff with bad grounds, etc. Homemade snorkels and sinking them in mudholes. No wonder folks have issues. Keep it pretty much stock, take care of it, non ethanol gas, you should have any serious issues at all over the life of whatever you buy.

My dealership sales both polaris and honda. Pretty much told me that the folks who drive polaris pretty much trade them in every couple years for new ones when they start having issues. My pioneer won't do 60 like a 570 but it does 40 pretty dang easy.
Yamaha Rhino 660 here, bought new in 07.
Been hauling firewood and game with it ever since.
Spun one CV joint out in 12 years of hard use and have replaced clutch and belt once.
Over 2000 hours of hard working and fun on it.

Originally had the 6 wheel diesel gator.
Those would be great machines in the flatlands for hauling etc. but not so good for mountains or snow.
Originally Posted by jp_over
Originally Posted by pointer

This is an old thread but your post really nailed it for me. Any long term update?
I have not had a lick of real trouble from the machine. Only hiccup is that I busted a weld on the hitch reciever. Hitch was hanging too low and got caught on a steep stream/ditching crossing. Machine didn't even realize it was there. Powersteering would be a plus, but even my kids can drive it easily enough. I'm a fan.
We have a gator with the diesel at work.

It’s a giant pile of dog [bleep].
The diesels are heavy, slow, and loud. About the only good reason to go diesel is if you’re on lots of worksites with other diesel equipment.
© 24hourcampfire