Home
Posted By: kamo_gari Chris Squire RIP - 06/28/15
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-33306933

One of the most memorable shows I've ever been to. 3rd row, Boston Garden 1984 or so. We were 20 feet in front of CS's stacks and virtually every note he hammered out on his green bass literally shook my organs and muscles. Not for everyone's tastes, but they had a unique sound and made some pretty amazing music.

Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Chris Squire RIP - 06/28/15

Posted By: add Re: Chris Squire RIP - 06/28/15
Always a BIG fan of YES in smaller doses.

Their sound and Jon's vocals are immediately identifiable.

Musicians first.
Posted By: mathman Re: Chris Squire RIP - 06/28/15
When Steve Howe aged he turned into the Crypt Keeper:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
The man didn't age well, that's sure. But then it's not a person's appearance with which music is made.

Posted By: mathman Re: Chris Squire RIP - 06/28/15
Just a silly comment on my part. I feel he's one of the greats, as was Chris.
Posted By: add Re: Chris Squire RIP - 06/28/15
Bit different, still good.

Posted By: CCCC Re: Chris Squire RIP - 06/28/15
The Steve Howe renditions here are interesting - clearly some excellent musicianship. One of the posted videos led to a recording from the Bach "Wachet Auf" and that rendition was very well done. On the other hand, the posted Villa Lobos "Aria" was sadly lacking due to his liberties - or negligence - regarding important rhythmic features and some alteration of the composer's melodic lines.

And, the Vivaldi piece was rhythmically disjointed to the point where the driving force of the original music is lost. That is a very difficult piece to translate to performance by solo guitar and I would give him an "A" for effort, courage and general technique. However, good musical judgment sometimes means not doing a certain piece if it will not receive musical justice in its proper style.
Posted By: colodog Re: Chris Squire RIP - 06/28/15
RIP Chris,
"Heart of the Sunrise"
Originally Posted by CCCC
The Steve Howe renditions here are interesting - clearly some excellent musicianship. One of the posted videos led to a recording from the Bach "Wachet Auf" and that rendition was very well done. On the other hand, the posted Villa Lobos "Aria" was sadly lacking due to his liberties - or negligence - regarding important rhythmic features and some alteration of the composer's melodic lines.

And, the Vivaldi piece was rhythmically disjointed to the point where the driving force of the original music is lost. That is a very difficult piece to translate to performance by solo guitar and I would give him an "A" for effort, courage and general technique. However, good musical judgment sometimes means not doing a certain piece if it will not receive musical justice in its proper style.

I always enjoy your insightful, well-thought out and thoughtful words, Dr. P. You're no stranger to the humanities. I dig that.

Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Chris Squire RIP - 06/29/15
I don't think I have ever heard of Chris Squire, but RIP. Listened to a few cuts, and yes, he was good. Just not a fan of that music.
Posted By: bucktales Re: Chris Squire RIP - 06/29/15
Rick Wakeman giving the church organ a workout in Vevey, Switzerland.

Posted By: hatari Re: Chris Squire RIP - 06/29/15
I really like YES, but thought that CS's bass work was often busy and muddy on the '60s albumns. While it was unique, I never could decide whether is was great or just overdone. Sorry to see him go.
Posted By: RickyD Re: Chris Squire RIP - 06/29/15
Too bad! He will be missed. Yes was one my favorites in the 70's.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Chris Squire RIP - 06/29/15
Yes was one of my favorite bands growing up. I saw them in concert three times. RIP Chris Squire.
Posted By: rahtreelimbs Re: Chris Squire RIP - 06/30/15
Growing up YES meant more to me than any other band. I have been playing drums for the better part of 45 yrs. Listening to Bill Bruford was the start and Chris Squire was not far behind. His bass sounds and style did it for me!
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Chris Squire RIP - 06/30/15
Big fan of prog rock, and I can listen to certain Yes songs and be brought right back to a paticular time and place.

Haven't listened to them in awhile, need to dust off the cd's and give them a listen.
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Chris Squire RIP - 06/30/15
Great classic rock band and a unique brand of music that is now etched in the history of Rock and Roll. A gift for the ages, and like so many, are now coming to the end of their run. RIP.
© 24hourcampfire