Home
Posted By: Mannlicher Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
no, not a thread about still smoking hot old movie stars, but about using tobacco. I smoked for ages, started when I was about 13, quit 30 years ago. I was puffing three packs of unfiltered Camels a day when I quit cold turkey. I still get a craving, if I smell a just lit, fresh cigarette, but have zero desire to ever do that again. Any of you guys still puffing?
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
I smoke about 3/4 cigars/week. No cigarettes
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
same as you here. 3 packs a day till i was 33. and yes still get a craving. do smoke a cigar once or twice a yr now.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
Cigars occasionally, never smoked a cigarette.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
never had one in my mouth even.... much less a desire to start smoking the damned things...damned glad I didn't...
Posted By: ringworm Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
I gave up cigarettes for A.Fuentes then gave up cigars for Blue Note.
Put down the pipe 2-3 years ago.
But I applause anyone who still smokes.
Will the pressure to quit, the gum, Pat he's, ecigs, vaps...standing outside and getting stink eyed by every passerby...
Good for you!
Smoke em if you gotem, I say.
Posted By: RS308MX Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
Smoked for 38 years. Quit 5 years ago. Best thing I ever did. Second hand smoke sure does smell good at times though.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
I smoke my pipe when I go to hunting camp. Or just camping. Haven't had a pipe full since thanksgiving.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
Originally Posted by ringworm
Will the pressure to quit, the gum, Pat he's, ecigs, vaps...standing outside and getting stink eyed by every passerby...
Good for you!

Something to be proud of, doing something thats bad for your health.....
Posted By: sharpsguy Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
If you smoke, you might as well be licking an ashtray.
Posted By: ringworm Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
Originally Posted by rost495
Good for you!

Unlike drinking or eating sugar, grains, ect.

You want to take the health check with me?
I don't drink, smoke, or eat sugar or grains.
Take no meds.
BMI OF 23.
I don't think smoking is any worse than fast food.
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
Smoking is one of the few pleasures a poor man can enjoy just as much as the rich man.

Sex is another one.
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
Sorry Curdog.

The rich man can afford better tobacco, and sexier dames.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
sex I can see, but not the smoking statement. With Ciggs at somewhere around what, $5 bucks a pack, the percentage of a poor man's income for smokes is huge, in comparison to what it costs a rich man.
Considering my position as a retired gentleman, at my old rate of puffing, my habit would be costing me right at 15% of my entire income
Posted By: RickyD Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
Never quit, never started.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
I quit almost 25 years ago. Smoked at least a pack a day for many years for over 20 years. Quit cold turkey a couple times, but would pick them up again. Last time, used the patch and have never looked back. Don't have any desire. Smoke only annoys me. Makes me sick to see young kids smoking.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Smoking is one of the few pleasures a poor man can enjoy just as much as the rich man.

Sex is another one.
With the price of tobacco taxes in most states, a poor man would have a lot more money in his pocket if he didn't smoke. It hits the poor man a lot harder than the rich man. Later on, the medical costs will hit the poor man harder, too.

The national average tax is about $1.60/pack. A 3 pack a day man will spend almost $5/day in taxes alone, not to mention to cost of the cigs themselves. That's $150/month in taxes. Don't tell me that smoking's a poor man's pleasure. It's breaking him.
Posted By: night_owl Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15

Sex is another one.

Smoking also improves the mood and can increase mental performance.

40 years of brainwashing have made it unacceptable.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
Originally Posted by night_owl

Sex is another one.

So has lung cancer and bladder cancer.
Posted By: donsm70 Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
I quit smoking on July 1, 1981 at the ripe old age of 32.

Used to have craving, but not anymore. In fact, I dislike the smell of cigarette and cigar smoke these days. I have not used tobacco in any form since then.

donsm70

Posted By: splattermatic Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
Quit 4/20/2015. (again).....
Had enough of it. @7.00 , a day. @50.00 a week. @200.00 each month.
Was just thinking of other stuff I could have with that cash.
So technically 04/21/2015, is the first day of no more smoking.

04/22/205, we found out my wife's father had stage 4 cancer.
He died 2 weeks ago.
Wife took a leave of absence from work to go to Brownsville, TX., to care for him.
The strain the dying stage took upon her was staggering.
Hospice care at his home, the physical abuse she sustained from his freaking out about dying, and mental distrust of her, thinking she was poisoning him, (yes, he attacked her and beat her up, twice)
Full time people had to come in to help 24/7.

She finally came home Saturday evening.
Her sister went down to help 2 days before he died. They packed up personal effects, scattered some of his ashes, put the house on the market, and drove back, towing the 10x6 cargo trailer. (My new waterfowl gear hauling trailer)
Now life continues.....

Rest well JERRY, We'll miss you.

God rest your soul.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
Well I smoked 3-4 packs of unfiltered Camels a day for over fifty years. Now I do the vapor thing with a liquid that really reminds me of the taste of the Camels without nicotine or all the other harmful stuff the cigs do.

Been "vaping" for 10 or so years now and feel way better and enjoy food and drink tremendously more than I used to.
Posted By: RLG Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
Same as you. Started at 13. Quit at 50. This year buried 2 of my old friends with Lung C. another hunting buddy is sitting home sucking oxygen. They never quit, until it was 2 late. Yes my favorite was the Camel, unfiltered. I started chewing to quit. Harder to quit the Copenhagen than the Camels, but I am pure now grin......Dick
Posted By: 4ager Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
My grandmother never smoked a day in her life. Her husband, my grandfather did and he died horribly of emphysema. Her son, my (worthless) uncle, that lived with them his entire adult life smoked heavily as well.

My grandmother died horribly of lung cancer and a type only caused by tobacco smoke.

I, stupidly, smoked for about 5 years; up to 2 packs a day. Quit cold turkey. Absolutely the best decision of my life was the day that I threw that last pack away and vowed no more.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
Growing up with both parents smoking, I never had any interest in picking up the habit. I watched my mother, her sister and my mother-in-law die of lung cancer and bladder cancer. My dad was the smartest one in the group, he quit cold turkey the day the Surgeon General's report came out in '65. He lived a cancer free life, dying at the age of 89.
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
After a pack a day for 20 years I quit totally in 1985. Best thing I ever did for my self and my family.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
I never smoked much but I chewed a can of Copenhagen a day for 28 years. I have the last can of Copenhagen I bought in my desk at work. It's date is April 19 2004.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
I got through high school and college without smoking. Then came the army. If that won't get a guy smoking, nothing will. Luckily, by the time I enlisted I had enough sense to not start even though the temptation was tremendous. I resisted and never started. It was a great decision on my part.
Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I smoke my pipe when I go to hunting camp. Or just camping. Haven't had a pipe full since thanksgiving.

And those would have been Kaywoodie Pipes?
Posted By: bea175 Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
never smoked and never will
Posted By: rost495 Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
Originally Posted by rost495
Good for you!

Unlike drinking or eating sugar, grains, ect.

You want to take the health check with me?
I don't drink, smoke, or eat sugar or grains.
Take no meds.
BMI OF 23.
I don't think smoking is any worse than fast food.

I don't drink either, at least very rarely, doubt I do a 6 pack a year.

Point was you say good for you if you smoke... I don't get it, I would not be proud of it.

Nor would I be proud of anything thats not good for my body.

I'm not saying you or I don't do any of the above, I just don't get why be proud if you smoke...
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

And those would have been Kaywoodie Pipes?

Of course!!!!! laugh

"On the town or on the campus, or just for pure smoking pleasure; now more than ever, smoking a Kaywoodie pipe is the mark of the modern masculine male!"

Kaywoodie ad. Circa 1961.

Funny, reading this thread. I can count all my pipe smoking activity within the last year! Still have fingers left over. Do I even qualify?
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
I watched my mon wither and waste away from lung cancer. Her only wish was that she be able to take her 5 year old grand daughter ( my neice) shopping...she never got that chance...i'll never forget her death moans, and gurgaling breathes....

I can't even date a girl who smokes, most unattractive habit I can think of
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
I quit in the spring if '08 after nearly 20 years.

Smoking is fuggin' retarded.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
[Linked Image]

I'm not a smoker...but always think of my Grandpa quoting that ad with a laugh. He would buy a pack of smokes, smoke half of them, then not touch any for a few weeks. He could take it or leave it. He always had his Levi Garrett with a little King Bee twist mixed in though.
Posted By: EdM Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
Nope and never have.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
Thought it was going to be about David Koresh.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
A bit as a teenager, but none at all since the late 60's. Can't stand the odor.

See very little smoking until one gets into a zone where the residents live mostly on the public purse. Maybe a boredom thing.

I suspect we will see smoking pick up again though with pot becoming legal.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
I smoke a pack a day
tear off around 1/2 inch of the end and either smoke that "whole" ciggerette or puff down a couple of power drags and flick it away
probably around 12-15 whole ones a day

ya I know it is bad for me
blah blah bal
I smoke ciggerettes and drink one cup of strong instant coffee a day
don't drink booze anymore(Budweiser and mescal when I stopped)
oct 1998
had a beer with my fil when my mil died jan 2008

but I also spent 24 yrs in the infantry
and done a lot more dangerous things
and having a heat tab or a small mountain stove and a canteen cup to make some coffee and have a smoke can make a shytty day
a little bit better..................
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
I quit cold turkey on November 21st 1997 and have never felt the urge to light one up since. Best thing health wise I have ever done.
Posted By: Kato Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
Originally Posted by night_owl

Sex is another one.

I smoked for twenty years and quit. Smoking only improves your mood if you are a smoker and are having nicotine withdrawal. I live in Canada where due to high "sin" taxes cigarettes run around $15 a pack and people still buy 'em. Best thing I ever did. Still chew once in a while while hunting and fishing. A guy has to have a few nasty habits for the wife to complain about.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
I went from 4 1/2 packs a day cold turkey in 1978. Now one to two cigars a month.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
Put out my last Marlboro at the front door of the hospital as I walked in to have bypass surgery in 2001.
Posted By: 79S Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
Copenhagen snuff I picked it back up on this deployment after going 7 months with out it. Man nothing better than a pinch of Copenhagen snuff in the morning.. I need to stop again when I get home.
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
[Linked Image]

I'm not a smoker...but always think of my Grandpa quoting that ad with a laugh. He would buy a pack of smokes, smoke half of them, then not touch any for a few weeks. He could take it or leave it. He always had his Levi Garrett with a little King Bee twist mixed in though.

I hear that in non arabic countries, 95% of the men who tried camels, went back to women.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
On a cold night in the desert, would you curl up next to the camel, get beneath the palm tree, or snuggle up to the base of the pyramid?
as if those were the only choices available? Bet the folks from Minnesota would choose the camel. laugh
Posted By: poboy Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
Genesis 24:64 Rebekah also, when she saw Isaac,
lighted off the camel.
Posted By: rgrx1276 Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
Smoke a dozen cigars a week +... and like it.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
I never smoked. My high school sweetheart died from cancer, primary lung cancer that metastasised to her brain, when she was 43. She started smoking Salem 100s and Winston Menthol 100s when she was 14 or 15. I felt sorry for her three daughters, but had no sympathy for her or for anyone who suffered tobacco related health issues and who started smoking after the Surgeon General began requiring a health warning to be printed on cigarette packs in 1966.

I do, however, own some stock in the Altria Group, parent company of Philip Morris. I you must smoke, I'd appreciate if you'd smoke a PM product.
Posted By: TomA Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
Smoked a pack a day from age 18-39. Retired from the military in 1989 and quit smoking for 10 years. Picked up the habit again around 2000 and just quit again in March this year. So far no desire to start again. Each time I quit was cold turkey. For me the visualization of smoking meat in a smoker was what I was doing to my lungs each and every day kind of put it in perspective for me. Tom
Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
What a bunch of Quitters..!

grin

Posted By: stuvwxyz Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
Cigarettes killed the best man I ever knew at age 60. Rest in peace dad. Everyone that knew you misses you more than you could ever imagine.
Posted By: Westcoaster Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
Greetings from north of the 49th Mannlicher,

I quit smoking 29 years ago this September. No regrets although I still get urges. I will still have a smoke around the fire once a year in hunting camp but I do not consider that smoking.

Just had a close brush with a critical illness and I can tell you it helps to not be a smoker.
Posted By: 4winds Re: Still Smoking? - 06/29/15
Never have, never will.
Posted By: ringworm Re: Still Smoking? - 06/30/15
Somethings got to thin the herd.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: atomchaser Re: Still Smoking? - 06/30/15
Never smoked. Seeing my dad suffer with obstructive lung disease and emphysema from a lifetime of smoking when I was a teenager cured me of any desire for it.
Posted By: Roundup Re: Still Smoking? - 06/30/15
I quit almost 40 years ago. Haven't regretted it a bit. Cigarette smoke is offensive to me now.

I do admit to smoking a cigar or two in elk camp. Don't inhale. I buy very good quality cigars, not the crap they sell in convenience stores. I generally buy 4 to 5 cigars. One goes to the first shot on opening day, one goes to the biggest bull, and the rest, if not all go to me!

Nothing is better around the old campfire than a glass of your favorite libation and a good cigar with your hunting companions.

I'm bouncing on 80 years of age, and am still looking forward to elk camp. And a good cigar!
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Still Smoking? - 06/30/15
I started smoking when I was 18. Smoked two packs of Marlboro's a day for 37 years.

5 months ago, I threw away my ciggarettes and started vaping.
I feel 100 % better and I had forgotten how good food tastes and smells!
Not to mention I don't smell like a ashtray anymore and I don't wake up every morning coughing and hacking up my lungs. My only regret is that I'd didn't quit sooner!
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Still Smoking? - 06/30/15
Good for you, chl. Marlboro's were my devil of choice, too. Hate it that some of my old buds still smoke the damn things.
© 24hourcampfire