Home
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Venus and Jupiter - 06/30/15
Are about as close together as they can get - at least from our point of view.

If you look low in the Western sky right now you can see Venus with Jupiter just above it. If you have a good spotting scope or small telescope you should be able to easily spot the moons around Jupiter.
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Venus and Jupiter - 06/30/15
Cool. I could make out four moons around Jupiter with the spotting scope.
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Venus and Jupiter - 06/30/15
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: Venus and Jupiter - 06/30/15
Yeah, saw them stacked one over the other. Pretty neat.
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Venus and Jupiter - 06/30/15
Nice view from here, too. 'And remember to keep looking UP!"
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Venus and Jupiter - 06/30/15
Normally a good pair of binos will show you 4 moons around Juniper.

Cool stuff up there but we've been hazed in the past couple nights from the Canadian smoke they tell us, can't see a thing.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Venus and Jupiter - 06/30/15
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
If you look low in the Western sky right now you can see Venus with Jupiter just above it.

Sun is still up! smile
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Venus and Jupiter - 07/01/15
overcast here, no way to see it
Posted By: Gus Re: Venus and Jupiter - 07/01/15
I like those kinds of alignments, even if they foretell nothing.
Posted By: lastround Re: Venus and Jupiter - 07/01/15
We were able to see this last night, albeit faintly through the smokey haze coming down from fires out in Western Canada.
Posted By: cv540 Re: Venus and Jupiter - 07/01/15
Clearly this celestial event forecasts the upcoming presidential election campaigns.

Venus the female goddess of beauty, and a planet obscured by clouds: represents Hillary, and the shroud of obscurity surrounding her past financial and State Dept history.

Jupiter the Gas Giant is Chris Christie, surrounded by the 4 visible moons; cadidates Walker, Bush, Cruz, and Paul. The other smaller moons not visible represent the other minor candidates.

All week Venus was chasing Jupiter as the two rose in the sky, and she passed him last night, fortelling the general election.

All utter babble of course, (especially the goddess of beauty)

Posted By: RWE Re: Venus and Jupiter - 07/01/15
I stopped after you equated Hillary with Venus.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Venus and Jupiter - 07/01/15
Sun is still up

I've never been able to replicate it here in the states, but when stationed out on Guam years ago one could see stars in the mid day sky. Probably not too much industrial haze out there mid ocean.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Venus and Jupiter - 07/01/15
This time of year it doesn't get dark around here until about 10:15. So I was a bit surprised when I went outside last night at 9:45 or so - it was still very light with a bright blue sky - and could see Venus clearly. I couldn't see Jupiter with the naked eye even though I knew where to look, but could see it with binoculars.

Once the sun went down I set up my 20X spotting scope and you could see everything clearly. You could even see Venus "on the half shell" if you want to call it that. wink Part of it was in darkness like a half moon.

I'm not an astronomy buff but it's cool to see things like this, such as the moons of Jupiter. I remember as a kid pointing my little toy telescope at what looked like a very bright star and clearly seeing the rings of Saturn, that was pretty neat.
Posted By: cv540 Re: Venus and Jupiter - 07/01/15
Originally Posted by RWE

Yeah, but you got to admit Christie is perfectmatch for Gas Giant.
Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: Venus and Jupiter - 07/01/15
Originally Posted by RWE

Who are you kidding, what do you know about Heavenly bodies.?

Tonight, why don't you see if you can find the Ring around Uranus, I hear it's inflamed this time of year. I know it's out there, I've tried with my telescope, but somehow just can't put my finger on it...
Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: Venus and Jupiter - 07/01/15
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
If you look low in the Western sky right now you can see Venus with Jupiter just above it.

Sun is still up! smile

I can't even see the sun...
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Venus and Jupiter - 07/01/15
Saw that too.

I was wondering if they were going to get even closer...

Time to sacrifice some chickens, and beer.....
Posted By: RWE Re: Venus and Jupiter - 07/01/15
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Originally Posted by RWE

Who are you kidding, what do you know about Heavenly bodies.?

Tonight, why don't you see if you can find the Ring around Uranus, I hear it's inflamed this time of year. I know it's out there, I've tried with my telescope, but somehow just can't put my finger on it...

it would stand to reason your telescope isn't big enough.
Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: Venus and Jupiter - 07/01/15
Sadly, that has always been the case....but you can only expect so much when the Universe is so vast.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Venus and Jupiter - 07/01/15
Discussion of the conjunction:
http://earthsky.org/tonight/watch-the-great-race-of-venus-and-jupiter-in-june-2015

Pictures:
http://earthsky.org/todays-image/venus-and-jupiter-west-after-sunset-june-2015

FYI
Posted By: Gus Re: Venus and Jupiter - 07/01/15
it looks like venus and Jupiter be on a crash course with each other. but not to worry if a 1.5 mile wide asteroid can slip through the crack, and continue unimpeded.

all these spheres floating around surely means something to somebody. but what, exactly?
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Venus and Jupiter - 07/01/15
Venus is the ruler of love and Jupiter is the bringer of good luck.

So, any kid born with these two in conjunction like this is going to get a lot of nookie when he gets older... wink
© 24hourcampfire